Re: [Clip] ntp 5.4 x matrix printer

  • Larry Hamilton
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 14, 2009
      It has been a long time since I have had to use a dot matrix printer.

      From past experience, I do remember that the driver used makes a lot of
      difference for some programs.

      You do not mention the model of printer, but if you have the install
      floppy and/or CD for this printer and the "native" driver is installed,
      try using the Generic/Text Only driver. I have had success with the
      Generic driver in the past.

      You also may need to review the printer's manual to determine if there
      is some setting that could be causing this. The font size, line length,
      and page length are all controlled by settings at the printer. There may
      be settings for these things via the driver, but the settings on the
      printer can override the driver.

      I have seen some unexpected behavior with dot matrix printers, since
      they sometimes require manual adjustments that are not needed with
      inkjet or laser printers. It is possible that you will need to figure
      out the combination of button presses on the printer to set it to handle
      the desired line length. Text editors do not have the fancy auto
      formatting and pretty printing capabilities of word processors, such as
      Open Office.

      Have you tried printing one of these documents from MS-Notepad or
      another text editor to see if you have similar results?

      Another option would be to configure a printer using the generic/text
      only driver that prints to a file. This will be independent of the
      printer, and should give a different result if the issue is with the
      settings on the printer.

      The drawback to dot matrix printers (besides the noise) is that they
      need more tweaking, but once you find the right combination, they just work.

      Please let us know if you can narrow the scope of this if you cannot
      resolve it. If there is a bug, it will need to be reproduceable before
      Eric can fix it.

      Please let us know if you figure it out, so that those in the future
      might benefit from the answer.

      I see that you are using NoteTab Pro 5.4. It is a free update to 5.7b. I
      suggest that you also update to that version, since any bugs would be
      fixed from that point. Also what version of MS-Windows are you using?
      There are differences in the printer drivers between version of Windows.

      Larry Hamilton

      abetsent wrote:
      > Friends,
      >
      > I always used a HP ink jet printer with ntp, all ok.
      >
      > Because I use an expensive ink cartridge every 15 days, I purchased a Citizen matrix printer, to avoid this expensive problem.
      >
      > There no problem with this Citizen printer, if used with other programs, like Front Page and others.
      >
      > But if I try to print with the ntp, I always get (both in the printer and in the Print Preview) the text printed only up to the (more or less) 67 character position. Every line with more than 67 characters ( do not matter the size of the text, of the line, if with wordwrap on or off, etc), he show or print until the 67 character position only.
      >
      > For example, if I have (in one line):
      >
      > mmmmmmm1mmmmmmm mmmmmmm2mmmmmm mmmmmm3mmmmmmmmmm mmmmmm4mmmmmmmmm mmmmmmmmmm79 mmmmmmm6mmmmmmmmm mmmmmm7mmmmmmmmmmmmm124
      >
      > in the original,
      >
      > in the printer and in the Print Preview I always get only up to the (more or less 67) character position.
      >
      > I tried the Options ---> Documents --> WordWrap up to 80 or 124, but the problem remains.
      >
      > And because I use the Citizen with other programs without this problem, appears to me that the problem are in the ntp. And for information, the Citizen printer are equal to the older Epson LX-300.
      >
      > Perhaps I do not know what to do.
      >
      > Best regards to my friends,
      >
      > Brito
    • Dave
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 14, 2009
        Hi
        you may also find that there is a set of switches under the panel to change
        paper ,which you may half to set ,look at instructions ?
        THANKYOU DAVE M

        > I always used a HP ink jet printer with ntp, all ok.
        >
        > Because I use an expensive ink cartridge every 15 days, I purchased a
        > Citizen matrix printer, to avoid this expensive problem.
        >
        > There no problem with this Citizen printer, if used with other programs,
        > like Front Page and others.
        >
        > But if I try to print with the ntp, I always get (both in the printer and
        > in the Print Preview) the text printed only up to the (more or less) 67
        > character position. Every line with more than 67 characters ( do not
        > matter the size of the text, of the line, if with wordwrap on or off,
        > etc), he show or print until the 67 character position only.
        >
        > For example, if I have (in one line):
        >
        > mmmmmmm1mmmmmmm mmmmmmm2mmmmmm mmmmmm3mmmmmmmmmm mmmmmm4mmmmmmmmm
        > mmmmmmmmmm79 mmmmmmm6mmmmmmmmm mmmmmm7mmmmmmmmmmmmm124
        >
        > in the original,
        >
        > in the printer and in the Print Preview I always get only up to the (more
        > or less 67) character position.
        >
        > I tried the Options ---> Documents --> WordWrap up to 80 or 124, but the
        > problem remains.
        >
        > And because I use the Citizen with other programs without this problem,
        > appears to me that the problem are in the ntp. And for information, the
        > Citizen printer are equal to the older Epson LX-300.
        >
        > Perhaps I do not know what to do.
        >
        > Best regards to my friends,
        >
        > Brito

      • C Brito
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 15, 2009
          Hi friends,

          Thanks.

          I used Generic Text and worked fine.

          About the printer, is GSX-190 Citizen. Is more or less like LX-300.
          The only difference is that do not accept continuous "separate"
          sheets, only if with perforated paper.

          Thanks again!
          Brito