problem with ^!Email command

  • Michael Frascinella
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 31, 2009
      Hi,

      The Email command is supposed to help you compose an email from pieces
      of text. For example:
      ^!Email mfrascinella@...;this is the subject;+

      This command has three parameters separated by semicolons: the
      recipient's email address, the subject line, and an optional plus sign
      which tells NoteTab to copy the current document into the body of the
      message.

      When I tried the Send E-Mail clip in the Sample Code library, it failed
      to open a message window when I selected Yes (insert the + sign). It
      *did* work when I Selected No (no + sign). I also tried the above
      command in a separate clip and it did nothing when I included the + sign.

      Can anyone confirm this behavior? I'm running NoteTab Pro 5.7/fv on
      Windows XP Home. The help file did not offer anything to resolve the
      problem.

      Second question: how do I tell NoteTab which e-mail program to open? It
      is defaulting to Outlook Express, which I don't use.

      Yours,

      Michael Frascinella
      MAFware Solutions
      http://www.mafware.com
      ******************
      Never Forget
      September 11, 2001
    • Dave
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 1 4:15 AM
        Hi
        I think you find that notetab would use the windows default email program
        may be easier to set which ever one you to default .
        THANKYOU DAVE M

        > The Email command is supposed to help you compose an email from pieces
        > of text. For example:
        > ^!Email mfrascinella@...;this is the subject;+
        >
        > This command has three parameters separated by semicolons: the
        > recipient's email address, the subject line, and an optional plus sign
        > which tells NoteTab to copy the current document into the body of the
        > message.
        >
        > When I tried the Send E-Mail clip in the Sample Code library, it failed
        > to open a message window when I selected Yes (insert the + sign). It
        > *did* work when I Selected No (no + sign). I also tried the above
        > command in a separate clip and it did nothing when I included the + sign.
        >
        > Can anyone confirm this behavior? I'm running NoteTab Pro 5.7/fv on
        > Windows XP Home. The help file did not offer anything to resolve the
        > problem.
        >
        > Second question: how do I tell NoteTab which e-mail program to open? It
        > is defaulting to Outlook Express, which I don't use.
        >
        > Yours,
        >
        > Michael Frascinella
        > MAFware Solutions
        > http://www.mafware.com
        > ******************
        > Never Forget
        > September 11, 2001

      • Hugo Paulissen
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 2 3:31 AM
          Hi Michael,

          > I tried the Send E-Mail clip in the Sample Code library, it failed
          to open a message window when I selected Yes (insert the + sign). It
          *did* work when I Selected No (no + sign). I also tried the above
          command in a separate clip and it did nothing when I included the + sign.
          Can anyone confirm this behavior? I'm running NoteTab Pro 5.7/fv on
          Windows XP Home.

          I do not encounter your problem, I'm using 5.7 on XP Professional.

          > Second question: how do I tell NoteTab which e-mail program to open? It
          is defaulting to Outlook Express, which I don't use.

          I think you have to tell Windows! Have a look at "Control Panel"/"Add or Remove Programs" and select "Set Program Access and Defaults" at the left.

          Regards,

          Hugo

        • Michael Frascinella
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 2 3:24 PM
            Hugo,

            <>I tried including ^!setdebug on before the ^!email command and the
            clip acted like it didn't even see the ^!email command. I also tried
            setting custom program defaults as you suggested but my machine still
            defaults to Outlook Express. Must be a Windows feature -- ignore the
            user's commands.

            I also tried the suggestion in the online help of adding a message after
            the subject line:
            ^!email abc@...;this is subject;this is the message.

            Again NoteTab acts like there is no Email command.

            Does any one else know if there is a NoteTab setting that controls this
            behavior?

            Since I am getting nowhere with this command let me pose this question:
            Is there a way to take a list of e-mail addresses and send the same mail
            to all recipients, but in such a way that I could include the recipients
            name in the salutation? I want to start contacting Senators and
            Congressmen to voice an opinion on various issues but was looking for
            something other than a mailing list.

            Michael F
          • Don - HtmlFixIt.com
            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 2 3:55 PM
              Michael Frascinella wrote:
              > Hugo,
              >
              > <>I tried including ^!setdebug on before the ^!email command and the
              > clip acted like it didn't even see the ^!email command. I also tried
              > setting custom program defaults as you suggested but my machine still
              > defaults to Outlook Express. Must be a Windows feature -- ignore the
              > user's commands.
              >
              > I also tried the suggestion in the online help of adding a message after
              > the subject line:
              > ^!email abc@...;this is subject;this is the message.
              >
              > Again NoteTab acts like there is no Email command.
              >
              > Does any one else know if there is a NoteTab setting that controls this
              > behavior?
              >
              > Since I am getting nowhere with this command let me pose this question:
              > Is there a way to take a list of e-mail addresses and send the same mail
              > to all recipients, but in such a way that I could include the recipients
              > name in the salutation? I want to start contacting Senators and
              > Congressmen to voice an opinion on various issues but was looking for
              > something other than a mailing list.
              >
              > Michael F

              I usually use either word or better yet open office mail merge to email
              functions for such things. Much as I love notetab (and I do), I still
              do somethings with other programs :-)