Newbie - needs help with splitting long lines into multiple lines

  • Marlon Sherrod
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 27, 2009
      Hello. I have been using notetab for a short while. I have a file with
      multiple lines. Each line has a pipe separating different parts of the
      line. I am wanting to create a new line after the original line where
      the pipe is located throughout the entire file. The file currently has
      150 lines. Each line has one pipe separator. After this function I
      should have 300 lines. Any advice would be great.
    • welread
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 27, 2009
        --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, "Marlon Sherrod"
        <integrityforlife@...> wrote:

        > Hello. I have been using notetab for a short while. I have a file
        with
        > multiple lines. Each line has a pipe separating different parts of
        the
        > line. I am wanting to create a new line after the original line where
        > the pipe is located throughout the entire file. The file currently
        has
        > 150 lines. Each line has one pipe separator. After this function I
        > should have 300 lines. Any advice would be great.

        Hello Marlon .. sorry to say I downloaded the program just about 3 days
        ago and am not to familiar with it yet.. however you can contact
        don@... ..he seems to know the program and has helped me
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 27, 2009
          Marlon Sherrod wrote:
          > I am wanting to create a new line after the original line where
          > the pipe is located throughout the entire file.

          That is just a simple Find and Replace. I don't know what a pipe is,
          but whatever it may be copy and paste it into the Find Field.
          Replace with "^P" (without the quotes), ^P is the shortcut for
          newline. Do not tick regualar expression and click replace all.

          Axel
        • Don - HtmlFixIt.com
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 27, 2009
            Axel Berger wrote:
            > Marlon Sherrod wrote:
            >> I am wanting to create a new line after the original line where
            >> the pipe is located throughout the entire file.
            >
            > That is just a simple Find and Replace. I don't know what a pipe is,
            > but whatever it may be copy and paste it into the Find Field.
            > Replace with "^P" (without the quotes), ^P is the shortcut for
            > newline. Do not tick regualar expression and click replace all.
            >
            > Axel

            Hi Marlon,

            Yes Axel is correct, just do a find and replace.
            Control + R or click on the smaller set of binoculars in the toolbar.

            In the top box put the pipe character "|" (usually the shifted backslash
            key if you will).

            In the bottom box put the ^P (carrot is what I call that thing --
            shifted six and the P -- notetab shorthand for a return)

            Make sure the cursor is in line one at character one as it will only
            search forward (or backwards) in most cases.

            Shortcut to get to the beginning of the file is to double click in the
            find dialog box in a blank space (like to the left of the find next
            button) that is not a button, link or fill in box.

            If you are going to do this often, you can make a clip to do it:
            ^!Replace "|" >> "^P" ACIWS

            Hope that is helpful. Easy thing for notetab to do.