Re: Looking for Java Clip for Compiling and Running Simple Prog. in DOS window

  • dgmfield@pacbell.net
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 18, 2009
      Thanks for your input. Yes I have used NetBeans for some simple Ruby
      programs and have tried it for Java too. It is nice!

      My Java class is pretty basic so Notepad and the terminal window are
      all I need but I thought I would give NotePad and its capability a
      try. I like to avoid the IDEs when I learn a language basics but that
      is my own personal preference.

      I have also looked at a Windows editor called e
      (http://www.e-texteditor.com/) that is similar to TextMate. I have
      used it for Ruby work but since it was not free have not tried it for
      Java. It uses CYGWIN.

      Thanks for the help.

      Dave

      --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, "Dan Gagne" <dgagne@...> wrote:

      > Try using one of the Integrated Development Environments (IDE) such as
      > NetBeans or Eclipse. Either solves your problem by providing a
      > compilation engine, excellent editor with phrase highlighting, and
      > debugging capabilities; letting you concentrate on learning java
      > programming, not the mechanics of compilation.
      >
      > NoteTab Pro is an excellent text editor and a great scripting engine.
      > . . . . you need more.
      > http://www.eclipse.org/downloads/
      > http://www.netbeans.org/downloads/
      >
      > They're free.
      >
      > Dan Gagne
      >
      > --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, "dgmfield@" <david.gillooly@>
      > wrote:
      > >
      > > C:Java; C:\Java\CoreJavaBook\corejava
      > >
      > > C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_05\bin
      > >
      > > C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin
      > >
      > > I am using NoteTab Pro¬ô 5.6 (Full Version) to write simple Java
      > > programs for a class. The programs are all running in a DOS terminal.
      > >
      > > I am looking for a Java clip that will allow me to compile and run
      > > these simple programs for within NotePad. I imagine that A DOS command
      > > terminal woudl be opened.
      > >
      > > I have tried the java2cide clip but I must not have it set up
      > > correctly. The setup files are shown below. When compiled I get no
      > > error meSSAGE and no class file is generated ( I assume it would be in
      > > the same directory as the .java file that was compiled was located).
      > >

      > > Anyone have an idea. The programs compile from a dos command javac
      > > File.Java fine.
      > >
      > > Classpath C:Java; C:\Java\CoreJavaBook\corejava
      > >
      > > C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_05\bin
      > >
      > > C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin
      > >

      > > Thanks,
      > > dave
      > >

      > > Java setup
      > > ;*****************if StdError.err is open, close it and delete
      > > it**********************
      > > ^!IfFileExist ^%AppPath%StdError.err ^!DestroyDoc
      ^%AppPath%StdError.err

      Setup)*****

      directory*******************

      file************************
      > > ^!Set %CurFile%=^**
      > >

      > > ;**********Run the JAVA compiler in a console to get the output****
      > > ^$GetOutput(^%j2JavaPath%\javac ^%compileOptions% ^%j2ClassPath%
      > > ^%CurFile%)$
      > >
      > > ;***************Check for the output file********************
      > > ^!IfFileExist ^%AppPath%StdError.err Open ELSE END
      > >

      > > ;***************Open & return the OutPut file*************************
      > > :Open
      > > ^!Open ^%AppPath%StdError.err

    • Don - HtmlFixIt.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 18, 2009
        dgmfield@... wrote:
        > Thanks for your input. Yes I have used NetBeans for some simple Ruby
        > programs and have tried it for Java too. It is nice!
        >
        > My Java class is pretty basic so Notepad and the terminal window are
        > all I need but I thought I would give NotePad and its capability a
        > try. I like to avoid the IDEs when I learn a language basics but that
        > is my own personal preference.
        >
        > I have also looked at a Windows editor called e
        > (http://www.e-texteditor.com/) that is similar to TextMate. I have
        > used it for Ruby work but since it was not free have not tried it for
        > Java. It uses CYGWIN.
        >
        > Thanks for the help.
        >
        > Dave

        There is no doubt in my mind that you can do what you want in notetab.
        It is quite powerful. There are clips for perl for example, so I think
        it definitely can be done.