beginners clip tutorial

  • Edward
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 1, 2008
      I have a couple of questions, I searched for and did not find, searched wrong places I guess, a beginners tutorial for writing clips. Someone point me that direction please. That is if anyone is back from the Christmas shopping experience of 2008.
      Ed

    • ebbtidalflats
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 2, 2008
        Ed,

        This may not be your cup of tea, but I learned Clipping by reading the
        help file.

        Start by reading about Variables and Labels. Help menu, Help on clip
        programming.

        Pay particular attention to the caret with variables

        ^!Set %varnameWithOUTprecedingCaret%=^%varnameWITHCaret%

        The caret ('^') is NoteTab's PARSING semaphore. Whenever NoteTab
        encounters a caret it tries to parse the following word, according to
        the rules the special symbol wrapper requires.

        The most important such symbols are !, $, and %.
        ^!text(SPACE) is a command
        ^$text$ is a function (returns a value)
        ^%text% is a variable (returns a value stored in the variable)

        This micro tutorial and the help files ought to give you a good start
        in clip programming.

        If you linve in the Houston Texas area, look for announcements on the
        Houston Area League of PC Users (HAL-PC.org) - Clear Lake Educational
        Center, General Computer SIG - for NoteTab activities in March or
        April 2009.

        Cheers.

        Eb

        --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, "Edward" <ebrown1927@...> wrote:

        > I have a couple of questions, I searched for and did not find,
        searched wrong places I guess, a beginners tutorial for writing clips.
        Someone point me that direction please. That is if anyone is back
        from the Christmas shopping experience of 2008.
        > Ed

      • Alec Burgess
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 2, 2008
          Edward:
          Jody created a "clip class" (10 of 15 proposed lessons were completed)
          sometime during or before 2001.
          It "should" be accessible somewhere in or below
          http://www.notetab.net/libraries.php I think but if it is I can't find
          it - though there are lots of other good things on that page worth
          having a look at.

          When I googled [notetab clipclass] and ["clipclass.zip" OR
          "cliptut.zip"] I found a number of old conversations in the groups
          archives but the links referenced are no longer accessible. They may
          still be accessible in or under http://www.notetab.net/ and I'm just not
          finding the correct links :-(

          However ... when I searched my hard-disk backups from previous computers
          I found an old folder containing these files:
          basic clip basics.txt

          * ClipClass.otl
          * ClipClass.pdf
          * ClipClass.ps
          * clipclass.zip - Jody's original clip class set (pre Notetab 5.x)
          but (I think) 95% accurate and worthwhile
          * H-Clip Basics.txt - Jim Hall's intro to creating clips
          * H-ClipLanguage-Intro.txt
          * H-Create Clipbook Libraries.txt
          * index.html - html version of Clip Basics with illustrations
          * NoteAwk_Manual.otl
          * NoteTabRef460.otl
          * NTB485HelpFile-Full.rtf
          * ntp1.gif
          * ntp2.gif
          * ntp3.gif
          * ntp4.gif

          which I've uploaded to the Files area as:

          Note: I requested a notification which should get sent but at least
          currently, trying to d/l *ANY* file from
          http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/ntb-clips/files/ is giving me a Yahoo
          error message "The requested document is not accessible."
          Is anyone else able to access the file I uploaded or any other file from
          the files area?

          ebbtidalflats (ebbtidalflats@...) wrote (in part) (on 2008-12-02
          at 17:24):