Re: NAND per sand (NOT Ampersand)

  • Flo
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 1, 2008
      --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, "ebbtidalflats" <ebbtidalflats@...>
      wrote:

      > I have a user-defined function (custom function) which under
      > SOME conditions does not execute its code as expected...
      > When I use ^& as argument passer...

      Eb, Sheri,

      I think one questions was how to use "^& as argument passer". I can't
      see how anything is "passed" here at all with...

      ^!Set %arg%=^&

      It has been said that the ^& token works as a "shorthand for
      preselected text (Sheri in a previous message)". Also it's a
      shorthand for a parameter that is passed over to a sublip (see my
      examples below). But Eb's clip doesn't select anything.

      For me, a working Custom Clip Function -- similar to Eb's concept --
      would be...

      H="Test_Manager"
      ^$StripDoubleBlankLines$

      H="_StripDoubleBlankLines"
      ; long line start
      ^!Set %arg%=^$StrReplace("^%nl%^%nl%^%nl%";"^%nl%^%nl%";"^$GetClipText
      ("Sample Text")$";0;0)$
      ; long line end
      ^!If ^$StrPos("^%nl%^%nl%^%nl%";"^%arg%";0)$>0 SKIP_-1
      ^!Result ^%arg%

      Actually, it's a miracle for me how Eb's concept gets to any output
      at all. Which command in his clip is producing the output of
      paragraph #2 to #3 of the Sample Text clip?

      Flo

      P.S. If I'm not mistaken, these are three examples for the use of ^&

      1. Select any text in a document and display it with...

      ^!Info ^&

      2. Put a preselected word into a Wizard field...

      ^!Set %text%=^?[Select text first=^&]
      ^!Info ^%text%

      3. Pass a parameter over to a subclip...

      ; Start Clip
      ^!Clip "Names" George

      ; Subclip "Names"
      ^!Info The name is ^&
    • Sheri
      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 1, 2008
        wrote:

        > Thanks Sheri,
        >
        > It never ocurred to me that NoteTab sees the argument as multi-line.
        >

        > Regards,
        >

        > Eb

        NoteTab has functions to use and remove tokens.

        If in Test_Manager you change the call to this:

        ^!SetArray %article%="^$StripDoubleBlankLines(^$usetokens(^%temp%)$)$"

        and in ^$StripDoubleBlankLines$ make this change:

        ^!Set %arg%=^$RemoveTokens(^&)$

        I think it will do what you were expecting.

      • Sheri
        Message 3 of 9 , Dec 1, 2008

          > --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, "ebbtidalflats" <ebbtidalflats@>
          > wrote:
          > >
          > > I have a user-defined function (custom function) which under
          > > SOME conditions does not execute its code as expected...
          > > When I use ^& as argument passer...

          Hi Flo,

          That was a misstatement. ^& is not an argument pass-er, it is the
          argument pass-ed.

          You can send optional text or data to a clip. If a clip refers to ^&
          it is getting that optional "argument". If nothing has been explicitly
          sent, it uses selected text in the document.

          For example:

          H="Test Hello"
          ^!Clip "Hello" Flo

          H="Hello"
          ^!InsertText Hello ^&

          Running the test clip would have the same result as running hello clip
          after preselected "Flo" in the current document.

        • Sheri
          Message 4 of 9 , Dec 1, 2008

            > Which command in his clip is producing the output of
            > paragraph #2 to #3 of the Sample Text clip?

            It is not a command producing the output -- it is the lines of text
            with no commands that exist in the test clip after expansion of
            ^%temp% variable.

          • ebbtidalflats
            Message 5 of 9 , Dec 2, 2008
              Thanks, I'll give this a try out of curiosity.

              I gather you are suggesting that ^& will not stumble over the newlines.

              On the other hand, using ^%temp% as global variable (no ^&),
              it works too.

              Eb

              > --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, "ebbtidalflats" <ebbtidalflats@>
              > wrote:
              > >
              > > Thanks Sheri,
              > >
              > > It never ocurred to me that NoteTab sees the argument as multi-line.
              > >

              > > Regards,
              > >

              > > Eb
              >
              > NoteTab has functions to use and remove tokens.
              >
              > If in Test_Manager you change the call to this:
              >
              > ^!SetArray %article%="^$StripDoubleBlankLines(^$usetokens(^%temp%)$)$"
              >
              > and in ^$StripDoubleBlankLines$ make this change:
              >
              > ^!Set %arg%=^$RemoveTokens(^&)$
              >
              > I think it will do what you were expecting.
              >
              > Regards,
              > Sheri

            • ebbtidalflats
              Message 6 of 9 , Dec 2, 2008
                Flo,

                You're right, I did not provide for visible output in the demo.
                I guess I should have done so to remove ambiguity.

                The test manager clip stored the output of the UDF in the array
                variable "article".

                Whenever the UDF pasted to the current doc, it was an ERROR. Which I
                wanted to demonstrate.

                Regards,

                Eb