Re: [Clip] Problem with simple modification of sample HTML clip

  • loro
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 5, 2008
      Joy wrote:
      >The first clip (I added " - Selected is Text" to the name) was a
      >sample in the HTML.clb file.
      >
      >I wanted to clone it and create a clip that used the selected text as
      >the link instead of the text so I created the second clip (HRef Link
      >- Selected is Link) but it works inconsistantly.
      >
      >Although the dialog box looks ok, it usually replaces the selected
      >link with <A>text field contents</A>. It works SOMETIMES, but I
      >can't figure out why. I thought the T=T would insert the HREF value
      >so it would come out like this
      > <A HREF="http://virusscan.jotti.org">text</A>

      No, T=T is one of the field options you can use. See "Clip Wizard and
      Fields" in Clip Help. I've actually never used this one. It seems to
      a do a whole lot more than expected. It's what creates the browse button.

      If I understand you right you want to select a URL and have the clip
      put it as the value of href. Then I guess the wizard should ask you
      to type in the link text instead? Something like this.

      ----------------------
      h="Link-the-link"
      ^!InsertHTML <a href="^&">^?[Link text=]</a>
      ----------------------

      Lotta
    • joy8388608
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 9, 2008
        That's about right.
        I'm really confused now. A different day and I can't get my
        originally posted code to break. It was occasionally inserting <A>my
        text</A> into my document. And, no, the two clips were individual,
        not running together.

        Perhaps the problem is I don't fully understand how the entire clip
        thing pulls together although I THOUGHT I did. I thought code was put
        in .clb files.

        I used Tools -> Clip book -> Add new clip to place the code below in
        HTML library. There were only the three lines on the [Clips] tab that
        opened. The first line was the name I gave it MyTest. It is now
        visible as the last entry in the HTML library (displayed with F4). It
        works except it inserts an extra
        h="Link-the-link"<A HREF="www.testlink.com">this is the Link text I
        entered</A>
        I removed the first line leaving only the name and the InsertHTML
        line and it works. BUT I CAN'T FIND where it is stored! The code is
        NOT in HTML.clb. I don't see ANY changed files. I'm looking in
        HTML.clb directly. And what is a .ctb file?

        Is there a place where this is all clearly explained? I'd love to
        just know how the basics work!

        Thanks again.
        Joy

        --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, loro <loro-spam01-@...> wrote:
        > If I understand you right you want to select a URL and have the
        > clip put it as the value of href. Then I guess the wizard should
        > ask you to type in the link text instead? Something like this.
        >
        > ----------------------
        > h="Link-the-link"
        > ^!InsertHTML <a href="^&">^?[Link text=]</a>
        > ----------------------
        >
        > Lotta
      • Alec Burgess
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 9, 2008
          joy8388608 (mycroftj@...) wrote (in part) (on 2008-11-09 at
          20:49):
          > I removed the first line leaving only the name and the InsertHTML
          > line and it works. BUT I CAN'T FIND where it is stored! The code is
          > NOT in HTML.clb. I don't see ANY changed files. I'm looking in
          > HTML.clb directly. And what is a .ctb file?

          Hi Joy:
          .CTB files contain the code that defines a clipbar. Right click on a
          clipbar and select "Edit clipbar" to see its contents.
          .CLB files contain the actual code that you see in a [Clip] tab. Right
          click on the dropdown in the Clip pane on the left side and select "Open
          as document" to see its contents.

          For reference the CLB file contains lines like:
          "HTML","Big text","BigText.bmp" which says execute the clip "Big text"
          from the clip library HTML.clb

          To locate these files on disk, right-click on the tab containing the
          opened as document and select "Copy name" eg.:
          - D:\Program Files\NoteTab Pro 5\Libraries\HTML-1.ctb (the clipbar)
          - D:\Program Files\NoteTab Pro 5\Libraries\HTML.clb (the clip library)

          however, beginning with Notetab 5.x if you change the contents of a
          clipbar or a clip (in a standard clip library) the changed version will
          be stored in <user> files. eg for WinXP with username=Alec I see
          locations like the following when I have modified (or created) either a
          library or clipbar.
          - C:\Documents and Settings\Alec\Application Data\NoteTab
          Pro\Libraries\Clipcode Syntax.ctb
          - C:\Documents and Settings\Alec\Application Data\NoteTab
          Pro\Libraries\ambPerm.clb

          Note: the original version is left in the original location (eg.
          D:\Program Files\NoteTab Pro 5\Libraries\) but once modified Notetab
          will always use the version if finds in (eg. C:\Documents and

          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 9, 2008
            Joy wrote:
            > It works except it inserts an extra
            >h="Link-the-link"<A HREF="www.testlink.com">this is the Link text I
            >entered</A>

            Looks like you have pasted my clip inside your clip. Right-click in
            the clip name in the clipbook window and choose "Edit Clip" and
            delete my clip form yours.

            To add mine, copy it to the clipboard. Then right-click in the
            clipbook window and choose "Add from clipboard". That should do it.

            Lotta