Re: Problem with simple modification of sample HTML clip

  • Sheri
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 5, 2008
      --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, "joy8388608" <mycroftj@...> wrote:

      > The first clip (I added " - Selected is Text" to the name) was a
      > sample in the HTML.clb file. I wanted to clone it and create a
      > clip that used the selected text as the link instead of the text
      > so I created the second clip (HRef Link - Selected is Link) but
      > it works inconsistantly.
      >
      > Although the dialog box looks ok, it usually replaces the selected
      > link with <A>text field contents</A>. It works SOMETIMES, but I
      > can't figure out why. I thought the T=T would insert the HREF value
      > so it would come out like this
      > <A HREF="http://virusscan.jotti.org">text</A>

      works for me. Can't seem to make it fail.

      > Would executing the original script affect it?

      No, but are you executing these clips on their own, as presented, or
      combining them into one clip? The token ^& represents the text that
      was selected prior to starting a clip. It doesn't change as a result
      of clip commands that might alter the selection.

    • loro
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 5, 2008
        Joy wrote:
        >The first clip (I added " - Selected is Text" to the name) was a
        >sample in the HTML.clb file.
        >
        >I wanted to clone it and create a clip that used the selected text as
        >the link instead of the text so I created the second clip (HRef Link
        >- Selected is Link) but it works inconsistantly.
        >
        >Although the dialog box looks ok, it usually replaces the selected
        >link with <A>text field contents</A>. It works SOMETIMES, but I
        >can't figure out why. I thought the T=T would insert the HREF value
        >so it would come out like this
        > <A HREF="http://virusscan.jotti.org">text</A>

        No, T=T is one of the field options you can use. See "Clip Wizard and
        Fields" in Clip Help. I've actually never used this one. It seems to
        a do a whole lot more than expected. It's what creates the browse button.

        If I understand you right you want to select a URL and have the clip
        put it as the value of href. Then I guess the wizard should ask you
        to type in the link text instead? Something like this.

        ----------------------
        h="Link-the-link"
        ^!InsertHTML <a href="^&">^?[Link text=]</a>
        ----------------------

        Lotta
      • joy8388608
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 9, 2008
          That's about right.
          I'm really confused now. A different day and I can't get my
          originally posted code to break. It was occasionally inserting <A>my
          text</A> into my document. And, no, the two clips were individual,
          not running together.

          Perhaps the problem is I don't fully understand how the entire clip
          thing pulls together although I THOUGHT I did. I thought code was put
          in .clb files.

          I used Tools -> Clip book -> Add new clip to place the code below in
          HTML library. There were only the three lines on the [Clips] tab that
          opened. The first line was the name I gave it MyTest. It is now
          visible as the last entry in the HTML library (displayed with F4). It
          works except it inserts an extra
          h="Link-the-link"<A HREF="www.testlink.com">this is the Link text I
          entered</A>
          I removed the first line leaving only the name and the InsertHTML
          line and it works. BUT I CAN'T FIND where it is stored! The code is
          NOT in HTML.clb. I don't see ANY changed files. I'm looking in
          HTML.clb directly. And what is a .ctb file?

          Is there a place where this is all clearly explained? I'd love to
          just know how the basics work!

          Thanks again.
          Joy

          --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, loro <loro-spam01-@...> wrote:
          > If I understand you right you want to select a URL and have the
          > clip put it as the value of href. Then I guess the wizard should
          > ask you to type in the link text instead? Something like this.
          >
          > ----------------------
          > h="Link-the-link"
          > ^!InsertHTML <a href="^&">^?[Link text=]</a>
          > ----------------------
          >
          > Lotta
        • Alec Burgess
          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 9, 2008
            joy8388608 (mycroftj@...) wrote (in part) (on 2008-11-09 at
            20:49):
            > I removed the first line leaving only the name and the InsertHTML
            > line and it works. BUT I CAN'T FIND where it is stored! The code is
            > NOT in HTML.clb. I don't see ANY changed files. I'm looking in
            > HTML.clb directly. And what is a .ctb file?

            Hi Joy:
            .CTB files contain the code that defines a clipbar. Right click on a
            clipbar and select "Edit clipbar" to see its contents.
            .CLB files contain the actual code that you see in a [Clip] tab. Right
            click on the dropdown in the Clip pane on the left side and select "Open
            as document" to see its contents.

            For reference the CLB file contains lines like:
            "HTML","Big text","BigText.bmp" which says execute the clip "Big text"
            from the clip library HTML.clb

            To locate these files on disk, right-click on the tab containing the
            opened as document and select "Copy name" eg.:
            - D:\Program Files\NoteTab Pro 5\Libraries\HTML-1.ctb (the clipbar)
            - D:\Program Files\NoteTab Pro 5\Libraries\HTML.clb (the clip library)

            however, beginning with Notetab 5.x if you change the contents of a
            clipbar or a clip (in a standard clip library) the changed version will
            be stored in <user> files. eg for WinXP with username=Alec I see
            locations like the following when I have modified (or created) either a
            library or clipbar.
            - C:\Documents and Settings\Alec\Application Data\NoteTab
            Pro\Libraries\Clipcode Syntax.ctb
            - C:\Documents and Settings\Alec\Application Data\NoteTab
            Pro\Libraries\ambPerm.clb

            Note: the original version is left in the original location (eg.
            D:\Program Files\NoteTab Pro 5\Libraries\) but once modified Notetab
            will always use the version if finds in (eg. C:\Documents and

            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 9, 2008
              Joy wrote:
              > It works except it inserts an extra
              >h="Link-the-link"<A HREF="www.testlink.com">this is the Link text I
              >entered</A>

              Looks like you have pasted my clip inside your clip. Right-click in
              the clip name in the clipbook window and choose "Edit Clip" and
              delete my clip form yours.

              To add mine, copy it to the clipboard. Then right-click in the
              clipbook window and choose "Add from clipboard". That should do it.

              Lotta