Problem with simple modification of sample HTML clip

  • joy8388608
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 5, 2008
      The first clip (I added " - Selected is Text" to the name) was a
      sample in the HTML.clb file.

      I wanted to clone it and create a clip that used the selected text as
      the link instead of the text so I created the second clip (HRef Link
      - Selected is Link) but it works inconsistantly.

      Although the dialog box looks ok, it usually replaces the selected
      link with <A>text field contents</A>. It works SOMETIMES, but I
      can't figure out why. I thought the T=T would insert the HREF value
      so it would come out like this
      <A HREF="http://virusscan.jotti.org">text</A>

      Would executing the original script affect it?
      Does the contents of the clipboard (control-c to copy) affect
      anything? I thought the selected text is unrelated to what I did
      contol-c on.

      H="HRef Link - Selected is Text" <-- Original. Works fine.
      ^!InsertHtml <A ^?[(T=T;F="HTML Files|*.*htm*;*.asp;*.css")Link to
      web page=]>^?[Link text=^&]</A>

      H="HRef Link - Selected is Link" <--- my clone. Doesn't work well.
      ^!InsertHtml <A ^?[(T=T)Link to web page=^&]>^?[Link text=" "]</A>

      Thanks for any light you can shed on this.

      Joy
    • Sheri
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 5, 2008
        --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, "joy8388608" <mycroftj@...> wrote:

        > The first clip (I added " - Selected is Text" to the name) was a
        > sample in the HTML.clb file. I wanted to clone it and create a
        > clip that used the selected text as the link instead of the text
        > so I created the second clip (HRef Link - Selected is Link) but
        > it works inconsistantly.
        >
        > Although the dialog box looks ok, it usually replaces the selected
        > link with <A>text field contents</A>. It works SOMETIMES, but I
        > can't figure out why. I thought the T=T would insert the HREF value
        > so it would come out like this
        > <A HREF="http://virusscan.jotti.org">text</A>

        works for me. Can't seem to make it fail.

        > Would executing the original script affect it?

        No, but are you executing these clips on their own, as presented, or
        combining them into one clip? The token ^& represents the text that
        was selected prior to starting a clip. It doesn't change as a result
        of clip commands that might alter the selection.

      • loro
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 5, 2008
          Joy wrote:
          >The first clip (I added " - Selected is Text" to the name) was a
          >sample in the HTML.clb file.
          >
          >I wanted to clone it and create a clip that used the selected text as
          >the link instead of the text so I created the second clip (HRef Link
          >- Selected is Link) but it works inconsistantly.
          >
          >Although the dialog box looks ok, it usually replaces the selected
          >link with <A>text field contents</A>. It works SOMETIMES, but I
          >can't figure out why. I thought the T=T would insert the HREF value
          >so it would come out like this
          > <A HREF="http://virusscan.jotti.org">text</A>

          No, T=T is one of the field options you can use. See "Clip Wizard and
          Fields" in Clip Help. I've actually never used this one. It seems to
          a do a whole lot more than expected. It's what creates the browse button.

          If I understand you right you want to select a URL and have the clip
          put it as the value of href. Then I guess the wizard should ask you
          to type in the link text instead? Something like this.

          ----------------------
          h="Link-the-link"
          ^!InsertHTML <a href="^&">^?[Link text=]</a>
          ----------------------

          Lotta
        • joy8388608
          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 9, 2008
            That's about right.
            I'm really confused now. A different day and I can't get my
            originally posted code to break. It was occasionally inserting <A>my
            text</A> into my document. And, no, the two clips were individual,
            not running together.

            Perhaps the problem is I don't fully understand how the entire clip
            thing pulls together although I THOUGHT I did. I thought code was put
            in .clb files.

            I used Tools -> Clip book -> Add new clip to place the code below in
            HTML library. There were only the three lines on the [Clips] tab that
            opened. The first line was the name I gave it MyTest. It is now
            visible as the last entry in the HTML library (displayed with F4). It
            works except it inserts an extra
            h="Link-the-link"<A HREF="www.testlink.com">this is the Link text I
            entered</A>
            I removed the first line leaving only the name and the InsertHTML
            line and it works. BUT I CAN'T FIND where it is stored! The code is
            NOT in HTML.clb. I don't see ANY changed files. I'm looking in
            HTML.clb directly. And what is a .ctb file?

            Is there a place where this is all clearly explained? I'd love to
            just know how the basics work!

            Thanks again.
            Joy

            --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, loro <loro-spam01-@...> wrote:
            > If I understand you right you want to select a URL and have the
            > clip put it as the value of href. Then I guess the wizard should
            > ask you to type in the link text instead? Something like this.
            >
            > ----------------------
            > h="Link-the-link"
            > ^!InsertHTML <a href="^&">^?[Link text=]</a>
            > ----------------------
            >
            > Lotta
          • Alec Burgess
            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 9, 2008
              joy8388608 (mycroftj@...) wrote (in part) (on 2008-11-09 at
              20:49):
              > I removed the first line leaving only the name and the InsertHTML
              > line and it works. BUT I CAN'T FIND where it is stored! The code is
              > NOT in HTML.clb. I don't see ANY changed files. I'm looking in
              > HTML.clb directly. And what is a .ctb file?

              Hi Joy:
              .CTB files contain the code that defines a clipbar. Right click on a
              clipbar and select "Edit clipbar" to see its contents.
              .CLB files contain the actual code that you see in a [Clip] tab. Right
              click on the dropdown in the Clip pane on the left side and select "Open
              as document" to see its contents.

              For reference the CLB file contains lines like:
              "HTML","Big text","BigText.bmp" which says execute the clip "Big text"
              from the clip library HTML.clb

              To locate these files on disk, right-click on the tab containing the
              opened as document and select "Copy name" eg.:
              - D:\Program Files\NoteTab Pro 5\Libraries\HTML-1.ctb (the clipbar)
              - D:\Program Files\NoteTab Pro 5\Libraries\HTML.clb (the clip library)

              however, beginning with Notetab 5.x if you change the contents of a
              clipbar or a clip (in a standard clip library) the changed version will
              be stored in <user> files. eg for WinXP with username=Alec I see
              locations like the following when I have modified (or created) either a
              library or clipbar.
              - C:\Documents and Settings\Alec\Application Data\NoteTab
              Pro\Libraries\Clipcode Syntax.ctb
              - C:\Documents and Settings\Alec\Application Data\NoteTab
              Pro\Libraries\ambPerm.clb

              Note: the original version is left in the original location (eg.
              D:\Program Files\NoteTab Pro 5\Libraries\) but once modified Notetab
              will always use the version if finds in (eg. C:\Documents and

              Message 6 of 6 , Nov 9, 2008
                Joy wrote:
                > It works except it inserts an extra
                >h="Link-the-link"<A HREF="www.testlink.com">this is the Link text I
                >entered</A>

                Looks like you have pasted my clip inside your clip. Right-click in
                the clip name in the clipbook window and choose "Edit Clip" and
                delete my clip form yours.

                To add mine, copy it to the clipboard. Then right-click in the
                clipbook window and choose "Add from clipboard". That should do it.

                Lotta