Re: Line frequency analysis.

  • Sheri
    Message 1 of 15 , Nov 5, 2008

      > Sheri,
      >
      > Just another idea concerning your solution:
      >
      > In the past, we have used that pattern...
      >
      > ^(.+\r\n)\1*
      >
      > quite often for finding duplicate lines. I think we could also use...
      >
      > ^(.+)(\r\n\1)*
      >
      > The advantage is that, with this pattern, we don't have to care
      > for CRNL at the end of the list. In your clip, a final NL is
      > (also) needed for counting the selected (duplicate) lines. But,
      > instead of calculating the NL, we could write...
      >
      > ^$Calc(1+^$GetRowEnd$-^$GetRowStart$)$
      >
      > So I think the clip could be slightly shortened like this...
      >

      > ^!Jump Doc_Start
      > :Loop
      > ^!Find "^(.+)(\r\n\1)*" RS
      > ^!IfError End
      > ^!Set %Count%=^$Calc(1+^$GetRowEnd$-^$GetRowStart$)$
      > ^!Set %Fill%=^$Calc(6-^$StrSize(^%Count%)$)$
      > ^!Replace "(.+)(\r\n\1)*" >> "^$StrFill("0";^%Fill%)$^%Count%,$1" RS
      > ^!Goto Loop
      >
      > The only minor disadvantage: Empty lines within the list will
      > provide wrong results. So if there are any, we have to remove
      > them with an additional command line.
      >
      > Do you agree with this solution?
      >
      > Regards,
      > Flo

      That works fine. Here's one that ignores trailing white space and
      empty lines in the data (but goes back to counting strings for count):

      ^!SetScreenUpdate off
      ^!Jump Doc_Start
      :Loop
      ^!Find "^(.+)(\s*\r\n\1)*" RS
      ^!IfError Out
      ^!SetArray %farray%=^$GetReSubstrings$
      ;begin long line
      ^!Set
      %Count%=^$StrCount("^%NL%";"^$GetDocReplaceAll("\s*(\r\n)+|(?<=.)\z";"\r\n")$";YES;YES)$
      ;end long line
      ^!Set %Fill%=^$Calc(6-^$StrSize(^%Count%)$)$
      ^!InsertText ^$StrFill("0";^%fill%)$^%Count%,^%farray1%
      ^!Goto Loop
      :Out
      ^!Set %farray%=""
      ^!ClearVariable %farray%
      ^!ClearVariable %Count%
      ^!ClearVariable %Fill%
      ;end of clip
    • Flo
      Message 2 of 15 , Nov 6, 2008

        > That works fine. Here's one that ignores trailing white space and
        > empty lines in the data (but goes back to counting strings for
        count):

        > ^!SetScreenUpdate off
        > ^!Jump Doc_Start
        > :Loop
        > ^!Find "^(.+)(\s*\r\n\1)*" RS
        > ^!IfError Out
        > ^!SetArray %farray%=^$GetReSubstrings$
        > ;begin long line
        > ^!Set
        > %Count%=^$StrCount("^%NL%";"^$GetDocReplaceAll("\s*(\r\n)+|(?<=.)
        \z";"\r\n")$";YES;YES)$
        > ;end long line
        > ^!Set %Fill%=^$Calc(6-^$StrSize(^%Count%)$)$
        > ^!InsertText ^$StrFill("0";^%fill%)$^%Count%,^%farray1%
        > ^!Goto Loop
        > :Out
        > ^!Set %farray%=""
        > ^!ClearVariable %farray%
        > ^!ClearVariable %Count%
        > ^!ClearVariable %Fill%
        > ;end of clip

        Sheri,

        I think there's a problem with this solution. It ignores trailing
        blanks and empty lines in the counting of duplicate lines but not in
        the ^!Find command. So if we have got...

        0.verizon.windowsxp <-- trailing blank
        0.verizon.windowsxp
        0.verizon.windowsxp

        for example, the clip doesn't find three duplicates but interprets
        this as a singular line plus two duplicates of another line. That is,
        it works fine only on the condition that all three duplicates end
        with a trailing blank.

        So it may be better to remove trailing blanks prior to ^!Find. Isn't
        it?

        Regards,
        Flo

        P.S. By the way: It makes no difference -- but what about...

        ^$GetDocReplaceAll("\s+$|(?<=.)\z";"\r\n")$

        (since NT v.5.0 the \s matches "any white space", including CRNL).

      • Sheri
        Message 3 of 15 , Nov 6, 2008
          Flo wrote:
          > Sheri,
          >
          > I think there's a problem with this solution. It ignores trailing
          > blanks and empty lines in the counting of duplicate lines but not in
          > the ^!Find command. So if we have got...
          >
          > 0.verizon.windowsxp <-- trailing blank
          > 0.verizon.windowsxp
          > 0.verizon.windowsxp
          >
          > for example, the clip doesn't find three duplicates but interprets
          > this as a singular line plus two duplicates of another line. That is,
          > it works fine only on the condition that all three duplicates end
          > with a trailing blank.

          You're right.
          > So it may be better to remove trailing blanks prior to ^!Find. Isn't
          > it?

          Not necessary if we change the ^!Find to this:

          ^!Find "^(.+\S)(\s*\r\n\1)*" RS

          > P.S. By the way: It makes no difference -- but what about...
          >
          > ^$GetDocReplaceAll("\s+$|(?<=.)\z";"\r\n")$
          >
          > (since NT v.5.0 the \s matches "any white space", including CRNL).

          Haven't tested that and it may work fine. However it looks suspicious
          because: we are using the PCRE multiline option by default in NoteTab so
          $ matches at line ends (and line ends by definition are followed by \r\n
          when showing in a NoteTab document) but \s+ matches across line breaks.
          So how can it match $ if it picks up all the \r\n's? In order to match $
          it would need to backtrack. It might create an issue if it backtracks
          between the \r and \n.

          I'll try to test it later.

        • Sheri
          Message 4 of 15 , Nov 6, 2008
            Sheri wrote:

            > Not necessary if we change the ^!Find to this:
            >
            > ^!Find "^(.+\S)(\s*\r\n\1)*" RS

            Hmn, maybe it should be

            ^!Find "^(.*\S)(\s*\r\n\1)*" RS

            just in case there is only one visible character on the line.

          • Sheri
            Message 5 of 15 , Nov 7, 2008

              > Flo wrote:
              > > Sheri,
              > >
              > > I think there's a problem with this solution. It ignores trailing
              > > blanks and empty lines in the counting of duplicate lines but not in
              > > the ^!Find command. So if we have got...
              > >
              > > 0.verizon.windowsxp <-- trailing blank
              > > 0.verizon.windowsxp
              > > 0.verizon.windowsxp
              > >
              > > for example, the clip doesn't find three duplicates but
              > > interprets this as a singular line plus two duplicates of another
              > > line. That is, it works fine only on the condition that all three
              > > duplicates end with a trailing blank. You're right. So it may be
              > > better to remove trailing blanks prior to ^!Find. Isn't it?

              > Not necessary if we change the ^!Find to this:
              >
              > ^!Find "^(.+\S)(\s*\r\n\1)*" RS
              >
              > > P.S. By the way: It makes no difference -- but what about...
              > >
              > > ^$GetDocReplaceAll("\s+$|(?<=.)\z";"\r\n")$
              > >
              > > (since NT v.5.0 the \s matches "any white space", including
              > > CRNL). Haven't tested that and it may work fine. However it looks
              > > suspicious because: we are using the PCRE multiline option by
              > > default in NoteTab so $ matches at line ends (and line ends by
              > > definition are followed by \r\n when showing in a NoteTab
              > > document) but \s+ matches across line breaks. So how can it match
              > > $ if it picks up all the \r\n's? In order to match $ it would
              > > need to backtrack. It might create an issue if it backtracks
              > > between the \r and \n.
              >
              > I'll try to test it later.

              Indeed that pattern matches in the middle of \r\n. So after
              replacement, we end up with \r\n\n. The reason it makes no difference
              to the outcome is because we are counting "\r\n" after applying this
              in ^$GetDocReplaceAll$. You would be able to see a problem if that
              were getting inserted in the document (however, something else happens
              when you insert it, \r\n\n becomes \r\n\r\n because the input control
              needs line breaks to be \r\n -- you can test the string size prior to
              insertion vs testing the size of a selection after insertion).

              I think it is preferable to greedily replace white space that precedes
              "\r\n" with "". The white space does include other CRLFs.

            • Flo
              Message 6 of 15 , Nov 8, 2008

                > Indeed that pattern (Flo:^$GetDocReplaceAll("\s+|(?<=.)\z";"\r\n")$
                > matches in the middle of \r\n. So after replacement, we end up with
                > \r\n\n...The reason it makes no difference...

                Yes, I can see now what happens here. I think your explanation is in
                better accordance with the PCRE Documentation than the NoteTab Help
                on RegEx. The latter says: "$ assert end of string (or line, in
                multiline mode)".

                The PCRESYNTAX Documentation from PCRE 7.7 is more detailed: "$ end
                of subject, also before newline at end of subject, also before
                internal newline in multiline mode."

                Thanks again, Sheri! I can clearly see the difference now and
                why "^$GetDocReplaceAll("\s+|(?<=.)\z";"\r\n")$" doesn't affect the
                result.

                Flo