Re: [Clip] .ini, etc. [ for Eric]

  • Art Kocsis
    Message 1 of 30 , Oct 6, 2008
      Eric,

      No I hadn't and for good reason. It has nothing to do with the problem. The
      problem is not INSTANCES of NoteTab but the INVOCATION of NoteTab. As I
      understand the /INST=default switch it should only work if NoteTab is
      already running, having been invoked with this switch.
      For typical users, this means editing the properties of the shortcut and
      adding the switch to the command line.

      However, for file association invocations, NoteTab is loaded via the
      registry, completely bypassing any command line options set in the
      shortcut. The only way I know to override the default behavior is to edit
      the shell command entries in the registry to add the /USER= to the NoteTab
      command line. In my experience, modifying shortcut properties is beyond the
      capabilities of most PC users let alone editing the registry.

      Actually, in testing the /INST=default switch (I find testing statements
      before posting them significantly reduces the embarrassment of erroneous
      posts!), I find it has no effect at all. Clicking on a text file when
      NoteTab is not running brings up the file in NoteTab with the Docs &
      Settings environment. Doing the same after NoteTab was started with the
      /INST=default switch and the /USER switch yields a new instance of NoteTab
      and with the Docs & Settings environment. Only after unchecking "Allow
      Multiple Instances" in Options | General does the "associated" file show up
      in an already running NoteTab. But then, why bother with /INST?

      In v4.95 I could easily specify the support files location within NoteTab
      (Options | Advanced | Support Files Location). I could set both my standard
      installation and my Pro installation to use the same files for clips,
      icons, dictionaries, etc without any duplications and with no concern about
      synchronization problems.

      In v5.x, you removed that option. Now, I have to use external (operating
      system), functions to set an internal NoteTab configuration environment -
      either via command line options in the shortcut link or by directly editing
      the registry. I can't fathom why you removed the option. It was already
      coded and debugged. And useful, else you wouldn't have implemented it in
      the first place. XP adds more emphasis on using Docs & Settings but it is
      really just another folder.

      I really wish I could convince you to put the support files location back
      into the option menu. It
      would make my life (and many others), much easier.

      BTW - Do you have an active mechanism for a wish list? I couldn't find
      anything on your site. Nor do I see anything on the NoteTab basic list. The
      little activity on the Next Release list seems to
      be mostly about clip problems (and should have been posted here).

      Thank you for your attention and reply.

      Namaste', Art

      At 10/5/2008 06:27 AM, you wrote:

      >Hi Art,
      >
      > > These are all work-arounds for correcting a mistake that shouldn't have
      > > been made in the first place. NoteTab v4.95 had an option for specifying
      > > the support directory location but this was taken out in v5. The /USB and
      > > /USER command line parameters help but just don't hack it. One can put the
      > > /USER switch in the shortcut but whenever NTB is invoked via file
      > > associations the shortcut is ignored.
      >
      >Have you tried using the special "default" token with the /INST switch?
      >Here's an extract from the NoteTab Help file:
      >
      >/INST=InstanceID
      >Opens a new instance of NoteTab (even if multiple instances is disabled)
      >or activates the instance matching the InstanceID text. Use quotes
      >around InstanceId if it contains spaces. Multiple instances are disabled
      >in instances opened through this method, and documents are not
      >automatically reopened unless you use the special "default" value. If
      >you want this instance to capture associated file types launched from a
      >file manager, use /INST=default. Example:
      >
      >NoteTab /INST=default
      >
      >I personally don't know any other program that offers this level of
      >flexibility in managing program instances.
      >
      >--
      >Regards,
      >
      >Eric Fookes
      ><http://www.fookes.com/>http://www.fookes.com/

    • Alan C
      Message 2 of 30 , Oct 6, 2008
        On Mon, Oct 6, 2008 at 9:49 AM, C Brito <backup2abet@...> wrote:

        > Axel,
        >
        > I tried every. I put a dummy notepro.ini file in the ntp directory,
        > before the installation. No.

        Remember, your data (when the C:\ app data area is used) your data is
        [always] "left untouched." BTW even the Notetab uninstaller does not remove
        it or touch said data.

        As you said above, you did the ini. But did you also make sure that, at the
        same time, you also must *not* have a notetab folder underneath the C:\ app
        data area. You would have had to manually remove the folder yourself in
        order for it to be gone. Otherwise, the folder would still have been there
        and likely also be the cause of the problem.

        One of the first things Notetab does upon launch is to quickly check the app
        data area. If it finds a Notetab folder there with ini [you got it] ie this
        makes notetab again use the c:\ app data area.

        2 things:

        1. *before* installing ver. 5.x, manually create the prog. folder and copy
        here your dummy ini file.

        2. *before* installing ver. 5.x, manually remove any and all notetab folder
        from under the c:\ app data area

        now install ver. 5.x and importantly be sure to point the installer to
        install notetab into the folder that you created in step 1 above.

        then upon first launch of ver. 5.x, notetab *must not find* any notetab
        folder under the c:\ app data area. *And* notetab *must also find* your
        dummy ini file under the prog folder

        I've never seen it not work (data under the prog. folder) with ver. 5.x
        whenever upon first launch after the 5.x installation all of those above
        requirements are met.

        Also, are you sure that you pointed the installer to install into the folder
        that you manually created and dropped in an ini before you installed 5.x

        Alan.

        > I put in the \libraries\ directory. No. I
        > installed and re-installed the ntp several times, testing all
        > (including clip codes apparently doing that). No.
        >
        > I tried to backup automatically after a ntp use, and restore later (to
        > execute the SAME clip that I used before), with a backup program in
        > the background. But the ntp do not allow to copy a Clip that is
        > running (I suppose, the backup program do not copied).
        >
        > I do not have an explanation about what codes I must include in the
        > .ini. The codes that define the paths and directories to be used to
        > run. No list of codes to be used in the .ini.
        >
        > I tried several command line options with different parameters. No.
        >
        > Thanks,
        > C Brito

      • Art Kocsis
        Message 3 of 30 , Oct 6, 2008
          C Brito,

          You are correct in saying that NoteTab 5.x cannot define the support
          libraries as
          version 4.95 did. Version 4.95 supported a menu option for the support
          folder location,
          version 5.x removed that menu choice.

          However, it is possible, with a bit of work, to accomplish what you want.
          This will involve
          using the v5.x command line options and modifying your registry. Don't
          panic, I'll show you how.

          First, you had earlier said you wanted to specify your library location.
          For the \USER=
          option to work you need to specify a folder one level ABOVE the library
          folder. It's an all or none situation. You can only specify the Notetab
          support folder tree. That is, all of the folders that were under the v4.95
          program folder or (now default) under the Docs & Settings folder. For
          example, you had said you wanted to use
          "e:\ntp10\notetab pro 5\libraries" as your library folder . To do so set:

          \USER="e:\ntp10\notetab pro 5\"

          Try this in a shortcut. Create a shortcut to your Notetab. Right click on
          it and choose "Properties". Add \USER="e:\ntp10\notetab pro 5\" after the
          program name, click OK and try it. Assuming this works for you, if you
          don't need to run NoteTab by file associations (double clicking on a txt
          file), you are done. Just create shortcuts for all your combinations of
          networks and libraries.

          If you need to use file associations it will take a bit more work.

          Copy the text below between the first start and end markers into your text
          editor and save it as, say, NoteTab Set Lib Test.reg. Make sure the
          "Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00" line is at the very top of the file.
          This file assumes that you are using NoteTab Pro, installed it in folder
          e:\ntp10\notetab pro 5\, and left the program name as NotePro.exe. If not,
          make any necessary changes. You can add any additional filetypes now or later.
          Copy all of the Notetab support folders to e:\ntp10\notetab pro 5\ so you have:

          e:\ntp10\notetab pro 5\
          e:\ntp10\notetab pro 5\Favorites
          e:\ntp10\notetab pro 5\Libraries
          e:\ntp10\notetab pro 5\Spelling
          etc

          Now, most important, back up your registry! Do a complete backup and/or
          create a restore point. Click on Start | Run and enter Regedit.exe. After
          it starts, "My Computer" should be highlighted. Click on File | Export and
          choose a name and location to save a text file image of the complete
          registry. Close RegEdit. (I can't hold your hand so we'are being overly
          cautious. This test only adds two test keys that won't do any
          harm.) Create a simple text file and save it with the filetype "xyz".
          Close your editor and then double click on the file you just created. You
          should now be looking at your test file in NotePro with all your libraries
          available.

          [Make sure there are no wrapped lines. You should end up with 3 pairs of
          lines.]

          <><><><><><><><><><> Start of first copy text <><><><><><><><><><>
          Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
          ;10-06-08 Customizations for NoteTab to define custom NoteTab Support
          folder location

          [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications\NoteProTest.exe\shell\open\command]
          @="\"E:\\ntp10\\notetab pro 5\\notepro.exe\" \"%1\"
          /USER=\"E:\\ntp10\\notetab pro 5\\\""

          [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.xyz]
          "Application"="NoteProTest.exe"
          <><><><><><><><><><> End of first copy text <><><><><><><><><><>

          Once you are satisfied with this process, you need to create modified the
          reg file for each of your various combinations. Note that the Notetab
          support files do not have to be under the Notetab program folder but can be
          named and located anywhere you desire. For example:

          E:\Supt Folder 1\
          E:\Supt Folder 1\Favorites
          E:\Supt Folder 1\Libraries

          E:\Supt Folder 2\
          E:\Supt Folder 2\Favorites
          E:\Supt Folder 2\Libraries

          Remember to copy the files into these folders. You can then double click on
          the reg file of your choice to change configurations.

          Here is an annotated reg text that may help you understand what goes where.
          Also, it contains multiple file association definitons.

          <><><><><><><><><><> Start of second copy text <><><><><><><><><><>
          Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
          ;10-06-08 Customizations for NoteTab to define custom NoteTab Support
          folder location

          ;Basic Registry structure:
          ; Replace <appl-keyname> with a user-friendly appl name
          ; Note: <appl-keyname> must be identical in all HCR & HCU entries
          ; Replace <full path to appl> with full path to NoteTab.exe
          ; Replace <cmd-line-options> with /USER=<full path to NoteTab Support Folder>
          ; Replace <.fileExt> with associated filetype .txt, .otl, .ctb, etc
          ; Create Key and value entry pair for each filetype
          ; Note the period preceding filetype

          ; [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications\<appl-keyname>\shell\open\command]
          ; @=<full path to appl> %1 <cmd-line-options>

          ;
          [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\<.fileExt>]
          ; "Application"="<appl-keyname>"

          ;############################################################################################
          ;HCR/HKLM shell open command defines appl name, path & command line for OS
          open on filetype
          ;Keyname is referenced by filetype/fileExt entries to find this definition
          ; Note the double back slashes & \" escape sequence for a double quote
          ; Note [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT] = Alias for [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes]

          [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications\NotePro.exe]

          [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications\NotePro.exe\shell]

          [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications\NotePro.exe\shell\open]

          [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications\NotePro.exe\shell\open\command]
          @="\"E:\\ntp10\\notetab pro 5\\notepro.exe\" \"%1\"
          /USER=\"E:\\ntp10\\notetab pro 5\\\""

          ;############################################################################################
          ;Current User Filetype associations. Overrides All User/global associations
          ;Appl name as defined in HCR/HKLM-SW-Classes Appl shell command key
          ;One for each filetype to be opened by NoteTab

          [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.clb]
          "Application"="NotePro.exe"

          [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.ctb]
          "Application"="NotePro.exe"

          [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.lrx]
          "Application"="NotePro.exe"

          [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.otl]
          "Application"="NotePro.exe"

          [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.rcp]
          "Application"="NotePro.exe"

          [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.txt]
          "Application"="NotePro.exe"

          ;############################################################################################
          ;HKLM Appl paths defines appl & path for use in RUN command
          ; Not much use for NoteTab config as NTB defaults to Docs & Settings
          support folder
          ;Key name defines appl name
          ;Default value (@), defines appl path & appl name (may be different from
          Key name)
          ;Command line options are invalid for this key, must add to RUN command dialog
          ; Example: Entering NoteTab in the RUN dialog would start NotePro.exe

          [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App
          Paths\NotePro.exe]
          @="E:\\ntp10\\notetab pro 5\\NotePro.exe"
          "Path"="E:\\ntp10\\notetab pro 5"

          <><><><><><><><><><> End of second copy text <><><><><><><><><><>

          At 10/6/2008 09:49 AM, you wrote:
          >Axel,
          >
          >I tried every. I put a dummy notepro.ini file in the ntp directory,
          >before the installation. No. I put in the \libraries\ directory. No. I
          >installed and re-installed the ntp several times, testing all
          >(including clip codes apparently doing that). No.
          >
          >I tried to backup automatically after a ntp use, and restore later (to
          >execute the SAME clip that I used before), with a backup program in
          >the background. But the ntp do not allow to copy a Clip that is
          >running (I suppose, the backup program do not copied).
          >
          >I do not have an explanation about what codes I must include in the
          >.ini. The codes that define the paths and directories to be used to
          >run. No list of codes to be used in the .ini.
          >
          >I tried several command line options with different parameters. No.
          >
          >Thanks,
          >C Brito
          >
          >On Mon, Oct 6, 2008 at 1:26 PM, Axel Berger
          ><<mailto:Axel-Berger%40nexgo.de>Axel-Berger@...> wrote:
          > > C Brito wrote:
          > >> This is the ntp first problem, he always install in the C: as is
          > >> default. You do not have a way to define your libraries directories,
          > >> as in the old 4.95.
          > >
          > > Sorry, but you're wrong. It may unnecessarily be more difficult than
          > > it was (if so, I hope Eric will improve matters) but it is possible.
          > > Also it seems that you could have kept yopur setting when upgrading
          > > from version 4.95, so it is, to be be blunt, your mistake. You have
          > > by now been given several ways to make you installation of 5 behave
          > > the way you want it to. Choose one and you're done.
          > >
          > > Axel
        • Art Kocsis
          Message 4 of 30 , Oct 6, 2008
            Alan,

            Not quite so. the \USER= command line option set either in a shortcut or in
            the registry completely overrides what you are saying. The INI file in the
            program folder is REQUIRED and it doesn't matter if a DOCS & Settings
            Notetab folder exists or not. In v5.x, the ini file doesn't control diddly
            squat about support files location - that was a version 4.95 option.

            Namaste', Art

            At 10/6/2008 02:23 PM, Alan wrote:
            >On Mon, Oct 6, 2008 at 9:49 AM, C Brito
            ><<mailto:backup2abet%40gmail.com>backup2abet@...> wrote:
            >
            > > Axel,
            > >
            > > I tried every. I put a dummy notepro.ini file in the ntp directory,
            > > before the installation. No.
            >
            >Remember, your data (when the C:\ app data area is used) your data is
            >[always] "left untouched." BTW even the Notetab uninstaller does not remove
            >it or touch said data.
            >
            >As you said above, you did the ini. But did you also make sure that, at the
            >same time, you also must *not* have a notetab folder underneath the C:\ app
            >data area. You would have had to manually remove the folder yourself in
            >order for it to be gone. Otherwise, the folder would still have been there
            >and likely also be the cause of the problem.
            >
            >One of the first things Notetab does upon launch is to quickly check the app
            >data area. If it finds a Notetab folder there with ini [you got it] ie this
            >makes notetab again use the c:\ app data area.
            >
            >2 things:
            >
            >1. *before* installing ver. 5.x, manually create the prog. folder and copy
            >here your dummy ini file.
            >
            >2. *before* installing ver. 5.x, manually remove any and all notetab folder
            >from under the c:\ app data area
            >
            >now install ver. 5.x and importantly be sure to point the installer to
            >install notetab into the folder that you created in step 1 above.
            >
            >then upon first launch of ver. 5.x, notetab *must not find* any notetab
            >folder under the c:\ app data area. *And* notetab *must also find* your
            >dummy ini file under the prog folder
          • John Shotsky
            Message 5 of 30 , Oct 6, 2008
              Not to throw gasoline on a fire, but Vista is going to make this even more of a mess. In Vista, UAC rears its head, and if active
              there is a 'shadow' set of program files where programs write, since it is no longer legal for programs to write there. If UAC is
              turned off, that changes, but it is going to be a messy problem for some time.

              I think the best solution for everyone is to be able to install NTP wherever wanted, avoiding the default install folder if desired,
              and an ability to specify where all support files live. I'm still using my XP computer, but one of these days I'm going to have to
              move to the Vista one, and I'm dreading the installation nightmares that I already know about.

              Best,
              John

              Message 6 of 30 , Oct 6, 2008
                Sorry for the double post. My email client burped and I resent the wrong one.
                and it had to be one of the longest posts at that :-(

                At 10/6/2008 04:57 PM, you wrote:

                >C Brito,

                Namaste', Art

                Some day we'll look back on all this and plow into a parked car. [nw]
              • Alan C
                Message 7 of 30 , Oct 6, 2008
                  On Mon, Oct 6, 2008 at 4:54 PM, Art Kocsis <artkns@...> wrote:

                  > Alan,

                  BTW what I had said applies to when running Win XP with administrator
                  privileges (data and writes under program folders is allowed). In contrast,
                  a user privileged user on XP AFAIK *is not allowed to write to the area
                  under program folders.* or maybe that depends on what type of user as that
                  (said no writes) definitely had been an issue off and on at times in the
                  past

                  Not quite so. the \USER= command line option set either in a shortcut or in
                  > the registry completely overrides what you are saying.

                  No problem. But I get it from others, some of whom posted in this thread to
                  this very effect, that *they* get clb libraries location to be/stay (only)
                  under the program folder by doing what I said when installing 5.x

                  So there happens to be a way to override

                  > The INI file in the
                  > program folder is REQUIRED and it doesn't matter if a DOCS & Settings
                  > Notetab folder exists or not.

                  Agreed. But if there also is a notepro.ini file in said docs/settings
                  notetab folder then this (folder with a found ini under app data) will
                  trigger 5.x to use the docs/settings app data area. (given admin priv. on XP
                  and given that not using said override method).

                  In v5.x, the ini file doesn't control diddly
                  > squat about support files location - that was a version 4.95 option.

                  (if support files means the user's data, where it's kept) Others have
                  already posted in this thread to the contrary. And, I too, happen to
                  disagree with you on that. Granted, certainly, I suppose if you use said
                  override method then the above (I suppose) is applicable.

                  Oh, maybe something got changed in the very latest release (though other
                  posters already have verified what I said) and they are likely using the
                  latest release. So I doubt that it's any different than what I said.

                  It appears that both of us are right due to others have verified me and that
                  you use additional methods such as said override. And, different levels of
                  different user permissions/privileges on different versions of Windows can
                  also add complexity/change_behavior.

                  Alan.

                  Message 8 of 30 , Oct 6, 2008
                    On Mon, Oct 6, 2008 at 5:58 PM, Alan C <acummingsus@...> wrote:

                    > On Mon, Oct 6, 2008 at 4:54 PM, Art Kocsis <artkns@...> wrote:
                    >
                    >> Alan,
                    >

                    > The INI file in the
                    >> program folder is REQUIRED and it doesn't matter if a DOCS & Settings
                    >> Notetab folder exists or not.
                    >

                    > Agreed. But if there also is a notepro.ini file in said docs/settings
                    > notetab folder then this (folder with a found ini under app data) will
                    > trigger 5.x to use the docs/settings app data area. (given admin priv. on XP
                    > and given that not using said override method).

                    Well, maybe (instead of my above there) it's the absence of an ini under the
                    program folder that triggers 5.x to use the app data area. I know this
                    latter (said absence) triggers 5.x to use app data area (given no
                    override). Not certain if what I said above always applies or not. But I
                    thought Eric once told us that 5.x "prioritizes" ie if it knows app data
                    area is being used then it loads from there any item that there is also
                    another one of under the program folder.

                    Which makes me seriously wonder if the ini the O.P. did is readable at the
                    point when 5.x first starts (again a past issue off an on, depends on a
                    particular user permissions, some versions of Windows, (evidently some were
                    not [at least not fully] allowed ini under the programs area.

                    Alan.

                  • Larry Hamilton
                    Message 9 of 30 , Oct 6, 2008
                      It is not so complicated to configure this.

                      I use a combination of a a shortcut with the desired settings and the
                      below mentioned ini file setting. I also put the shortcut in the SendTo
                      directory and I can send files to the desired NoteTab configuration
                      whether it is running or not. In my case, I do not change the default
                      text editor as I have too many users to support and need to see Window's
                      default behavior. I have never needed a registry edit to do what I need
                      to do with NoteTab.

                      A manual ini setting, plus the use of the command line options are all
                      that is required.

                      For the command line:

                      DriveOfYourChoice:\PathtoNoteTabexecutable /ini=pathtoinifile
                      /user=pathtodirectory

                      A concrete example is:

                      "C:\NoteTab\NoteTab.exe" /ini="C:\NoteTab\NoteTab.ini" /user="C:\NoteTab\"

                      In the ini file find this line in the [Application] section at the
                      beginning of the ini file. This controls whether or not NoteTab looks in
                      the App Data Directory.

                      UseProfileFolder=1

                      And change it to:

                      UseProfileFolder=0

                      If the line does not exist, add

                      UseProfileFolder=0

                      HTH,

                      Larry Hamilton

                      Art Kocsis wrote:
                      > C Brito,
                      >
                      > You are correct in saying that NoteTab 5.x cannot define the support
                      > libraries as
                      > version 4.95 did. Version 4.95 supported a menu option for the support
                      > folder location,
                      > version 5.x removed that menu choice.
                    • C Brito
                      Message 10 of 30 , Oct 7, 2008
                        Swae Larrt.

                        Thanks. He is working ok, I will waut for 2 days.

                        Thanks to all friends.

                        On Mon, Oct 6, 2008 at 10:20 PM, Larry Hamilton
                        <lmh@...> wrote:
                        > It is not so complicated to configure this.
                        >
                        > I use a combination of a a shortcut with the desired settings and the
                        > below mentioned ini file setting. I also put the shortcut in the SendTo
                        > directory and I can send files to the desired NoteTab configuration
                        > whether it is running or not. In my case, I do not change the default
                        > text editor as I have too many users to support and need to see Window's
                        > default behavior. I have never needed a registry edit to do what I need
                        > to do with NoteTab.
                        >
                        > A manual ini setting, plus the use of the command line options are all
                        > that is required.
                        >
                        > For the command line:
                        >
                        > DriveOfYourChoice:\PathtoNoteTabexecutable /ini=pathtoinifile
                        > /user=pathtodirectory
                        >
                        > A concrete example is:
                        >
                        > "C:\NoteTab\NoteTab.exe" /ini="C:\NoteTab\NoteTab.ini" /user="C:\NoteTab\"
                        >
                        > In the ini file find this line in the [Application] section at the
                        > beginning of the ini file. This controls whether or not NoteTab looks in
                        > the App Data Directory.
                        >
                        > UseProfileFolder=1
                        >
                        > And change it to:
                        >
                        > UseProfileFolder=0
                        >
                        > If the line does not exist, add
                        >
                        > UseProfileFolder=0
                        >
                        > HTH,
                        >
                        > Larry Hamilton
                        >
                        > Art Kocsis wrote:
                        >> C Brito,
                        >>
                        >> You are correct in saying that NoteTab 5.x cannot define the support
                        >> libraries as
                        >> version 4.95 did. Version 4.95 supported a menu option for the support
                        >> folder location,
                        >> version 5.x removed that menu choice.

                      • Eric Fookes
                        Message 11 of 30 , Oct 10, 2008
                          Hi Art,

                          > No I hadn't and for good reason. It has nothing to do with the problem. The
                          > problem is not INSTANCES of NoteTab but the INVOCATION of NoteTab. As I
                          > understand the /INST=default switch it should only work if NoteTab is
                          > already running, having been invoked with this switch.

                          True. But if you use NoteTab a lot, you can have windows start the first
                          instance from a shortcut that defines all your command line settings.
                          Then any associated file you open will get loaded by the first instance.

                          > However, for file association invocations, NoteTab is loaded via the
                          > registry, completely bypassing any command line options set in the
                          > shortcut.

                          Not if you have taken care to open a first instance with all your
                          command line options. Have you tried using the /INST=default switch?
                          Note that it requires a recent NoteTab update.

                          > The only way I know to override the default behavior is to edit
                          > the shell command entries in the registry to add the /USER= to the NoteTab
                          > command line. In my experience, modifying shortcut properties is beyond the
                          > capabilities of most PC users let alone editing the registry.

                          The simple method I explained above does not require any changes to the
                          registry.

                          > Actually, in testing the /INST=default switch (I find testing statements
                          > before posting them significantly reduces the embarrassment of erroneous
                          > posts!), I find it has no effect at all.

                          What version of NoteTab are you running?

                          Eric Fookes
                          http://www.fookes.com/