Re: [Clip] .ini file, etc.

    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 4, 2008
      abetsent wrote:
      > But the ntp is the first program that I see with so bad
      > subject in this field of installations, changes, etc.

      Sorry, but I strongly disagree. Programs like Firefox etc. don not
      even give you the option. It took a lot of effort, but I managed to
      move the "application data" folder out of the system partition.
      There is no official way to do that in Win98SE and my system
      partition is rather small on purpose. Windows eXPerimental with its
      user shenanigans is much worse. Given the limitations of the OS
      NoteTab does a good job here.
      But your suggestion is still a good one. Totalcommander's installer
      asks you where to put its .INI files, it would be nice for NoteTab
      to do the same.

      Axel
    • Art Kocsis
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 4, 2008
        Actually it is quite trivial in XP to move your Firefox profile out
        of Docs & Settings
        to anyplace you want. It was a bit harder, but not difficult, in Win 98.

        In XP, simply create your profile folder and then edit

        D&S\<user>\App Data\Mozilla\Firefiox\profile.ini

        to point to chosen user profile folder. It is a plain text file.

        In Win98 I can't remember if I edited the binary profile.ini file or used the
        profile manager to effect he change. Either way it was not difficult.

        If you need more details just ask.

        Art

        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 4, 2008
          Art Kocsis wrote:
          > If you need more details just ask.

          Thanks, but it works now. With so many programs using "application
          data" I'm happy with having moved that and won't bother with all
          their individual idiosyncasies. But it is a reason why I've not
          moved to Thunderbird. In Netscape 4.8 there is an official directory
          field in the preferences menu and on this machine that points to a
          directoryx on the notebook upstairs.