.ini file, etc.

  • abetsent
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 4, 2008
      HI friends,

      Thanks for all. The .ini file in the directory, before the
      installation, worked! Who imagine that, is a secret information?

      I strongly suggest to include in the Menu, several new options fields:

      a. One for the .ini directory
      b. One for work in a local (your computer, in a network) directory
      c. One for an ntp in the entire network.

      These three fields covers all the installations and changes in the
      operations.

      Only to give the possibility to work with the .ini, it is not fair.
      We do not know YOUR .ini, YOUR .ini codes, etc. Also, it is difficult
      to understand all the options, profiles, library paths, .ini, etc.,
      how they work together, etc.

      This will correct all, without the need to ask anything or to read the
      very confusing help in this subject, to examine the several .ini
      options, etc.

      Because the complains are high.

      ntp is great, but this problem is very high, specially for a person
      without HIS/YOUR experience. Must be idiot-proof, with the above three
      fields to fill.

      I repeat, the ntp is great. But the ntp is the first program that I
      see with so bad subject in this field of installations, changes, etc.

      To confirm my opinion, please ask about this in your forum.

      Best regards,
      C Brito
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 4, 2008
        abetsent wrote:
        > But the ntp is the first program that I see with so bad
        > subject in this field of installations, changes, etc.

        Sorry, but I strongly disagree. Programs like Firefox etc. don not
        even give you the option. It took a lot of effort, but I managed to
        move the "application data" folder out of the system partition.
        There is no official way to do that in Win98SE and my system
        partition is rather small on purpose. Windows eXPerimental with its
        user shenanigans is much worse. Given the limitations of the OS
        NoteTab does a good job here.
        But your suggestion is still a good one. Totalcommander's installer
        asks you where to put its .INI files, it would be nice for NoteTab
        to do the same.

        Axel
      • Art Kocsis
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 4, 2008
          Actually it is quite trivial in XP to move your Firefox profile out
          of Docs & Settings
          to anyplace you want. It was a bit harder, but not difficult, in Win 98.

          In XP, simply create your profile folder and then edit

          D&S\<user>\App Data\Mozilla\Firefiox\profile.ini

          to point to chosen user profile folder. It is a plain text file.

          In Win98 I can't remember if I edited the binary profile.ini file or used the
          profile manager to effect he change. Either way it was not difficult.

          If you need more details just ask.

          Art

          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 4, 2008
            Art Kocsis wrote:
            > If you need more details just ask.

            Thanks, but it works now. With so many programs using "application
            data" I'm happy with having moved that and won't bother with all
            their individual idiosyncasies. But it is a reason why I've not
            moved to Thunderbird. In Netscape 4.8 there is an official directory
            field in the preferences menu and on this machine that points to a
            directoryx on the notebook upstairs.