.ini, etc.

  • abetsent
    Message 1 of 30 , Oct 3, 2008
      In the older 4.95 was fine, you defined the directory of the clips.
      Perfect!

      But you changed (5.4) to a VERY (VERY) difficult option. Now is very
      difficult to define the Clips directory...

      I do not want to work with only a Clip Directory. In the computer A,
      with one Clips directory (x). In computer B, other Clips Directory
      (y). Both in a local network, of course.

      But sometimes I need to work, in computer B with the x Clips
      Directory. And in computer A, with the y Clips Directory.

      Please help, for me this is very confusing and difficult (hours...).

      Also, about the .ini. I do NOT want the .ini always in the
      c:\documents...(etc), I want to define MY .ini Directory. How? The ntp
      needs this change, perhaps in the Menu?

      Please inform if exist any good explanation of the .ini commands.

      In my opinion, ntp is fantastic. But this matter is the only bad
      thing, and must be changed. Perhaps you include in the Menu three
      fields to fill:

      a. If you go to work in only a directory (x), in the entire network
      b. If you want to work only in this local (my computer) directory x.
      c. The .ini Directory I want.

      Best regards,
      C Brito
    • Larry Hamilton
      Message 2 of 30 , Oct 3, 2008
        NoteTab 5.x while changing the default, does provide ways to control the
        placement of the ini file and all the user directories, such as the
        libraries.

        A combination of the command line used to start NoteTab and the
        placement of the ini file can control this. Help lays out the command
        line options.

        Also, the latest version of NoteTab modified the functionality of the
        USB command line option that it only need be used once to set an ini
        file option. This could also be used on a regular drive, if desired.

        If a NoteTab.ini file exists in the same directory as the NoteTab exe,
        then it overrides the default ini in the user profile directory.

        If X:\ points to the same location from all workstations, then this
        would be easier. If X:\ is a different location for each workstation,
        you would need a more complex way to track it. A simpler solution would
        be a common libraries directory on a server, or a workstation that each
        PC maps to the same drive, since X:\ on one machine needs to be
        specified on each PC.

        If you want to control access to multiple NoteTab library directories on
        multiple machines, you can make your own ini file to store the paths,
        and use the clip commands & functions for writing and reading ini files.
        Older examples of this are seen in the clip libraries by Jody Adair.

        Larry Hamilton

        abetsent wrote:
        > In the older 4.95 was fine, you defined the directory of the clips.
        > Perfect!
        >
        > But you changed (5.4) to a VERY (VERY) difficult option. Now is very
        > difficult to define the Clips directory...
        >
        > I do not want to work with only a Clip Directory. In the computer A,
        > with one Clips directory (x). In computer B, other Clips Directory
        > (y). Both in a local network, of course.
        >
        > But sometimes I need to work, in computer B with the x Clips
        > Directory. And in computer A, with the y Clips Directory.
        >
        > Please help, for me this is very confusing and difficult (hours...).
        >
        > Also, about the .ini. I do NOT want the .ini always in the
        > c:\documents...(etc), I want to define MY .ini Directory. How? The ntp
        > needs this change, perhaps in the Menu?
        >
        > Please inform if exist any good explanation of the .ini commands.
      • C Brito
        Message 3 of 30 , Oct 3, 2008
          Thanks for your help, Larry.

          I go to study.

          Best Regards,
          C Brito

          On Fri, Oct 3, 2008 at 9:38 PM, Larry Hamilton
          <lmh@...> wrote:
          > NoteTab 5.x while changing the default, does provide ways to control the
          > placement of the ini file and all the user directories, such as the
          > libraries.
          >
          > A combination of the command line used to start NoteTab and the
          > placement of the ini file can control this. Help lays out the command
          > line options.
          >
          > Also, the latest version of NoteTab modified the functionality of the
          > USB command line option that it only need be used once to set an ini
          > file option. This could also be used on a regular drive, if desired.
          >
          > If a NoteTab.ini file exists in the same directory as the NoteTab exe,
          > then it overrides the default ini in the user profile directory.
          >
          > If X:\ points to the same location from all workstations, then this
          > would be easier. If X:\ is a different location for each workstation,
          > you would need a more complex way to track it. A simpler solution would
          > be a common libraries directory on a server, or a workstation that each
          > PC maps to the same drive, since X:\ on one machine needs to be
          > specified on each PC.
          >
          > If you want to control access to multiple NoteTab library directories on
          > multiple machines, you can make your own ini file to store the paths,
          > and use the clip commands & functions for writing and reading ini files.
          > Older examples of this are seen in the clip libraries by Jody Adair.
          >
          > Larry Hamilton
          >
          > abetsent wrote:
          >> In the older 4.95 was fine, you defined the directory of the clips.
          >> Perfect!
          >>
          >> But you changed (5.4) to a VERY (VERY) difficult option. Now is very
          >> difficult to define the Clips directory...
          >>
          >> I do not want to work with only a Clip Directory. In the computer A,
          >> with one Clips directory (x). In computer B, other Clips Directory
          >> (y). Both in a local network, of course.
          >>
          >> But sometimes I need to work, in computer B with the x Clips
          >> Directory. And in computer A, with the y Clips Directory.
          >>
          >> Please help, for me this is very confusing and difficult (hours...).
          >>
          >> Also, about the .ini. I do NOT want the .ini always in the
          >> c:\documents...(etc), I want to define MY .ini Directory. How? The ntp
          >> needs this change, perhaps in the Menu?
          >>
          >> Please inform if exist any good explanation of the .ini commands.

        • Art Kocsis
          Message 4 of 30 , Oct 4, 2008
            Larry,

            These are all work-arounds for correcting a mistake that shouldn't have
            been made in the first place. NoteTab v4.95 had an option for specifying
            the support directory location but this was taken out in v5. The /USB and
            /USER command line parameters help but just don't hack it. One can put the
            /USER switch in the shortcut but whenever NTB is invoked via file
            associations the shortcut is ignored. I've edited my registry to modify
            some of the file association entries but it is a real pain-in-the-butt for
            something that should have been unnecessary. There are just too many file
            associations. If I want to change directories it will be another major
            effort instead of a single, one place change . For me, if I didn't have so
            much invested in my clips I would be using a different editor. Yes, I am
            upset. I see no reason for Eric to have removed a simple option and made
            our lives so much more difficult. There were a number of other negative
            changes also but this one was the worst. The only reason I don't go back to
            v4.95 is it's RegEx is too limited & buggy.

            Art

            At 10/3/2008 05:38 PM, you wrote:
            >NoteTab 5.x while changing the default, does provide ways to control the
            >placement of the ini file and all the user directories, such as the
            >libraries.
            >
            >A combination of the command line used to start NoteTab and the
            >placement of the ini file can control this. Help lays out the command
            >line options.
            >
            >Also, the latest version of NoteTab modified the functionality of the
            >USB command line option that it only need be used once to set an ini
            >file option. This could also be used on a regular drive, if desired.
            >
            >If a NoteTab.ini file exists in the same directory as the NoteTab exe,
            >then it overrides the default ini in the user profile directory.
            >
            >If X:\ points to the same location from all workstations, then this
            >would be easier. If X:\ is a different location for each workstation,
            >you would need a more complex way to track it. A simpler solution would
            >be a common libraries directory on a server, or a workstation that each
            >PC maps to the same drive, since X:\ on one machine needs to be
            >specified on each PC.
            >
            >If you want to control access to multiple NoteTab library directories on
            >multiple machines, you can make your own ini file to store the paths,
            >and use the clip commands & functions for writing and reading ini files.
            >Older examples of this are seen in the clip libraries by Jody Adair.
            >
            >Larry Hamilton
            >
            >abetsent wrote:
            > > In the older 4.95 was fine, you defined the directory of the clips.
            > > Perfect!
            > >
            > > But you changed (5.4) to a VERY (VERY) difficult option. Now is very
            > > difficult to define the Clips directory...
            > >
            > > I do not want to work with only a Clip Directory. In the computer A,
            > > with one Clips directory (x). In computer B, other Clips Directory
            > > (y). Both in a local network, of course.
            > >
            > > But sometimes I need to work, in computer B with the x Clips
            > > Directory. And in computer A, with the y Clips Directory.
            > >
            > > Please help, for me this is very confusing and difficult (hours...).
            > >
            > > Also, about the .ini. I do NOT want the .ini always in the
            > > c:\documents...(etc), I want to define MY .ini Directory. How? The ntp
            > > needs this change, perhaps in the Menu?
            > >
            > > Please inform if exist any good explanation of the .ini commands.
          • loro
            Message 5 of 30 , Oct 4, 2008
              Larry Hamilton wrote:
              >If a NoteTab.ini file exists in the same directory as the NoteTab exe,
              >then it overrides the default ini in the user profile directory.

              Furthermore, if you create the Notetab folder and place an ini file
              in it (can be empty) before you install Notetab there, the directory
              in Documents and Setting is never even created. That's how we like it! :-)

              Lotta
              Message 6 of 30 , Oct 4, 2008
                loro wrote:
                > the directory in Documents and Setting is never even created.
                > That's how we like it! :-)

                Exactly! Thanks Lotta, my trust in NotTab is restored.

                Axel
              • Art Kocsis
                Message 7 of 30 , Oct 4, 2008
                  And you can play even more games by creating multiple copies of NoteTab.exe
                  in the same directory but with different names, say NoteTab1.exe,
                  NoteTab2.exe,
                  etc and then NoteTab will look for and use, or create if one does not
                  exist, an ini
                  file of the same name: NoteTab1.ini, NoteTab2.ini, etc. These ini files can
                  be in
                  the same directory as the exe (default) or in the /USER redirection folder.

                  But it is still a work around.

                  Art

                  Message 8 of 30 , Oct 4, 2008
                    Art Kocsis wrote:
                    > I've edited my registry to modify some of the file association
                    > entries but it is a real pain-in-the-butt for something that
                    > should have been unnecessary. There are just too many file
                    > associations.

                    Look for jv16. It is a very good registry tool and you can do
                    registry-wide search and replace, something I have used quite often
                    after rearranging stuff. I have gone back to version 1.5.2 after an
                    upgrade. I don't remeber why, but it might be a personal trait of
                    extreme conservatism. NoteTab is the only software so far where I
                    was not unhappy with updates (but I started on version 5).

                    Axel
                  • Eric Fookes
                    Message 9 of 30 , Oct 5, 2008
                      Hi Art,

                      > These are all work-arounds for correcting a mistake that shouldn't have
                      > been made in the first place. NoteTab v4.95 had an option for specifying
                      > the support directory location but this was taken out in v5. The /USB and
                      > /USER command line parameters help but just don't hack it. One can put the
                      > /USER switch in the shortcut but whenever NTB is invoked via file
                      > associations the shortcut is ignored.

                      Have you tried using the special "default" token with the /INST switch?
                      Here's an extract from the NoteTab Help file:

                      /INST=InstanceID
                      Opens a new instance of NoteTab (even if multiple instances is disabled)
                      or activates the instance matching the InstanceID text. Use quotes
                      around InstanceId if it contains spaces. Multiple instances are disabled
                      in instances opened through this method, and documents are not
                      automatically reopened unless you use the special "default" value. If
                      you want this instance to capture associated file types launched from a
                      file manager, use /INST=default. Example:

                      NoteTab /INST=default

                      I personally don't know any other program that offers this level of
                      flexibility in managing program instances.

                      Eric Fookes
                      http://www.fookes.com/
                    • C Brito
                      Message 10 of 30 , Oct 5, 2008
                        Dear friends,

                        You created what are, in my opinion, the best editor in the World. No
                        doubt about that.

                        You have only a major problem: .ini, libraries directories, how to change, etc.

                        Please see your suggestion in your help, concerning the /INST:

                        Ok. I want the ntp 5.4 always use only my libraries directory

                        e:\ntp10\notetab pro 5\libraries

                        Your Example is: NoteTab /INST="HTML Editing"

                        As you see, this is an example to execute a Menu command, not to start
                        in a specific libraries directories.

                        Ok. But I want that the ntp 5.4 always use only my clip directory

                        e:\ntp10\notetab pro 5\libraries,

                        therefore how to write your /INST?

                        Will be?:

                        notetpro.exe /INST="e:\ntp10\notetab pro 5\libraries" to work ONLY in
                        that directory, or

                        notetpro.exe /INST="e:\ntp10\notetab pro 5\libraries\myclip" to execute my clip?

                        This is the main problem: I lost five days (exactly five days) with my
                        programming interrupted only because that, I am concentring myself in
                        the "installation/change" than in my script code. Every change that I
                        do in my clip script, ok he work, but if I leave the ntp and re-run
                        again, he gave me other scripts (perhaps because he return with other
                        libraries directory) and I lost hours of my script programming.

                        Please kindly help, if I give up the ntp I lost thousand hours of
                        former script code. Will be a disaster.

                        What really I want:

                        A command to be included at the time I call your notepro.exe, that
                        ALWAYS gave me the library directory

                        e:\ntp10\notetab pro 5\libraries\.

                        A single example, easy and definitive, without other any options like
                        .ini, register, etc and etc.

                        Must exist a way to do that.

                        Please kindly help!

                        C Brito
                        =====================

                        On Sun, Oct 5, 2008 at 10:27 AM, Eric Fookes <egroups@...> wrote:
                        > Hi Art,
                        >
                        >> These are all work-arounds for correcting a mistake that shouldn't have
                        >> been made in the first place. NoteTab v4.95 had an option for specifying
                        >> the support directory location but this was taken out in v5. The /USB and
                        >> /USER command line parameters help but just don't hack it. One can put the
                        >> /USER switch in the shortcut but whenever NTB is invoked via file
                        >> associations the shortcut is ignored.
                        >
                        > Have you tried using the special "default" token with the /INST switch?
                        > Here's an extract from the NoteTab Help file:
                        >
                        > /INST=InstanceID
                        > Opens a new instance of NoteTab (even if multiple instances is disabled)
                        > or activates the instance matching the InstanceID text. Use quotes
                        > around InstanceId if it contains spaces. Multiple instances are disabled
                        > in instances opened through this method, and documents are not
                        > automatically reopened unless you use the special "default" value. If
                        > you want this instance to capture associated file types launched from a
                        > file manager, use /INST=default. Example:
                        >
                        > NoteTab /INST=default
                        >
                        > I personally don't know any other program that offers this level of
                        > flexibility in managing program instances.
                        >
                        > --
                        > Regards,
                        >
                        > Eric Fookes
                        > http://www.fookes.com/

                      • Alan C
                        Message 11 of 30 , Oct 5, 2008
                          Hi,

                          There *is* a solution. Hang in there.

                          BTW it's the operating system's changing over the years to its usage of an
                          app data area that in turn made software developers have to change along
                          with it. (as a result of what the operating system did, things became more
                          complex, many more and different as well as contrasting different usage
                          scenarios arose and continue/stay so that the software developer then/now
                          had to incorporate many new accommodations into their programs.

                          With Notetab ver. 5.x, I think Eric has done an absolutely a superb job of
                          accommodating for all of the OS changes (OS changes in turn allow for [the
                          vastly increased complexity as far as] a significantly wider variety of
                          different and contrasting different usage scenarios can now exist).

                          Perhaps I grasped what the O.P. wants which involves a dual (back and forth)
                          networked or "reciprocal" networked access of only the "relevant" (it
                          appears to me that the O.P. may not fully understand as to the how of the
                          data or, data files, what goes to where on a ver. 5.x installation when the
                          app data area is used).

                          The O.P. did have a workable "reciprocal data access dual PC networked via
                          shared data folder" scenario using ver. 4.95

                          But the problem came along when (importantly, using the mentioned networked
                          access scenario/model) the O.P. began with ver. 5.x and 5.x's useage of app
                          data area rather than ver. 4.95's "program folder only" data location.

                          It appears, due to *sometimes* useage of shared folder (where ini and clips
                          reside) across a network, (accessed from a 2nd PC) that the O.P. needs
                          either:

                          1. only one such folder on each of the two networked PC's.

                          *Or*, 2. via the networked PC, access to the *relevant* location (where mods
                          to native clb as well as where newly added clb reside)

                          But then I see, too, later on, near the end of this thread, that the O.P.
                          *only* wants to use the above listed #1 method or "single folder area only,
                          for clb and ini."

                          Ver. 5.x defaults to using "app data" area for ini and also for mods done to
                          native clb as well as for any newly added (not native) clb. And, 5.x, may
                          also use same area for scripts and templates (if the user has/creates any of
                          their own scripts or templates). As shared by other posters [during ver.
                          5.x installation] useage of the app data area can be eliminated.

                          Perhaps the O.P. needs to know how to convert an already installed 5.x so
                          that it behaves with its data like 4.95 did [does not use app data area].

                          (Appears to me) options, for solution, that exist:

                          1. always work locally on each PC *and then* use a (separate software) file
                          synchronization software across the network (only if the data each PC needs
                          to be a match to the other PC).

                          2. rid both of the current 5.x installations of their useage of app data
                          area (use e:\path instead and as the one and only area for data).

                          3. from the networked PC, which some times is PC #1 and at other times is PC
                          #2 (O.P. needs dual shared access IOW "from whichever of the 2 networked
                          PC's that the O.P. is on", needs networked access to the other PC's 5.x
                          "relevant" area (relevant means where to access clb for edits and newly
                          added and where to access ini (for what on ini, I missed for what if the
                          O.P. shared what for).

                          HTH. Alan.

                          On Fri, Oct 3, 2008 at 8:48 AM, abetsent <backup2abet@...> wrote:

                          > In the older 4.95 was fine, you defined the directory of the clips.
                          > Perfect!
                          >
                          > But you changed (5.4) to a VERY (VERY) difficult option. Now is very
                          > difficult to define the Clips directory...
                          >
                          > I do not want to work with only a Clip Directory. In the computer A,
                          > with one Clips directory (x). In computer B, other Clips Directory
                          > (y). Both in a local network, of course.
                          >
                          > But sometimes I need to work, in computer B with the x Clips
                          > Directory. And in computer A, with the y Clips Directory.
                          >
                          > Please help, for me this is very confusing and difficult (hours...).
                          >
                          > Also, about the .ini. I do NOT want the .ini always in the
                          > c:\documents...(etc), I want to define MY .ini Directory. How? The ntp
                          > needs this change, perhaps in the Menu?
                          >
                          > Please inform if exist any good explanation of the .ini commands.
                          >
                          > In my opinion, ntp is fantastic. But this matter is the only bad
                          > thing, and must be changed. Perhaps you include in the Menu three
                          > fields to fill:
                          >
                          > a. If you go to work in only a directory (x), in the entire network
                          > b. If you want to work only in this local (my computer) directory x.
                          > c. The .ini Directory I want.
                          >

                          > Best regards,
                          > C Brito

                        • Alan C
                          Message 12 of 30 , Oct 5, 2008
                            Hi

                            I do not know what the most convenient way would be in which for you to
                            arrive at a solution.

                            I'm not familiar with that switch that they were talking about.

                            Due that I can only share what I know, I thought I'd share the next:

                            Next, later on, (at "leading up to") offers how to convert from app data so
                            that the app data area is no longer used. But, caution here, as there may
                            possibly be a setting in the ini file that I'm unaware of that would need to
                            be edited out of there.

                            This next is with respect only to local machine ie, I'm not talking
                            network. (though if it works, it may facilitate you back to the former ways
                            [of where the user's data was held] of 4.95 while using ver. 5.x)

                            With ver. 5.x when the app data area is used for the ini and for clip
                            libraries, then what you see over underneath the program folder in the way
                            of clb can be misleading due to that these are the native only clb libraries
                            (only what comes from the installer when Notetab was installed).

                            For instance, if you then modify a native clip library, what happens at that
                            point is that a copy of the original native library from under the program
                            folder is copied over to the clb library folder that's over underneath the
                            app data area. The original native library is left (still there) unmodified
                            under the program folder.

                            Your modified or customized version of the library is now over underneath
                            the app data area. Further, Notetab is smart enough that it knows and
                            prioritizes. IOW, because Notetab knows that it's there, your own modified
                            version of said native library (from under the app data area) automatically
                            (automagically) gets loaded.

                            Also, any new clb libraries added by the user go over underneath the app
                            data area while AFAIK there is no copy of these under the program folder.

                            So, what that does (when the app data area is used) is that "all of the
                            user's data (clb etc.) is over underneath the app data area." (separates
                            user things and user customized things from native only things). Native
                            only, once again, means that it natively came along with the .exe (packaged
                            inside the installer along with the Notetab .exe).

                            (Once again, Notetab is smart enough that): An upgrade to Notetab or
                            another install of Notetab only overwrites native things under the program
                            folder. In such case, user's data (when it's over under the app data area)"
                            does not get touched."

                            What I'm leading up to here is (please verify it before you do it as I've
                            never actually done it) or have a restoreable disk image before you do it
                            (be protected, IOW)

                            is that you likely could copy everything from app data area over to its
                            respective folder under the program directory. Also copy the ini to the
                            .exe program folder. Do all this copying with Notetab not running. Move
                            the entire notetab folder that's under the app data area, move it to your
                            desktop.

                            Then start Notetab, it finds (smart enough and prioritizes, remember?) its
                            ini as well as the user's data under the Notetab program folder, it loads
                            and uses same, it does not create or use anything over underneath the app
                            data area. IOW, app data area is history, now only uses under the program
                            folder.

                            Alan.

                          • C Brito
                            Message 13 of 30 , Oct 6, 2008
                              Dear Allan,

                              Very thanks for your help to my problem with ntp.

                              I have thousands and thousands of scripts codes, in a script (with a
                              lot of subroutines). Years of development. Therefore, it is impossible
                              to use other editor.

                              However, it is possible to return to the 4.95, because of two reasons:

                              1. My regex in my programs are very basic, I think that is possible to
                              change to a no-regex codes, For example, this

                              ^!Replace "(?s)<a href=(.*?)</a>" >> "" RAWS

                              need to be changed? Perhaps no?

                              2. My only problem will be to exclude the 5.4 scrip codes, to be
                              changed by the 4.95 codes. I do not know exactly I need to change, but
                              this is not a great problem. I need to know exactly what codes are
                              used in 5.4 but not in 4.95, to do that.

                              I tried to use a backup program (GRB, german, in background), to fix
                              the problem. But apparently ntp do not allow you to work with the
                              libraries, if you are running the ntp. I already tried to write a
                              script over an older script (to copy), but apparently he do not
                              accepted. THIS IS TRUE? I tried to do a kind of "online copy/write" of
                              the libraries, but the ntp do not accepted.

                              A question: Exist a kind of "reverse list", about the codes used in
                              5.4 but not used in 4.95? With that list will be more easy.

                              Because ntp do not have some fields to be filled about the libraries
                              that you want to be used (directories, etc), either local or network.
                              will be very difficult to fix the problem. As you realize, perhaps 99%
                              of the users do not understand .inis, registers, how exactly the
                              installation/changes works, etc and etc., and more, you do not have a
                              complete explanaton of that in the help. Example: A .ini statements
                              list. How to use the statements that control the libraries
                              directories? What .ini statements do that?

                              Thanks gain and best regards.

                              C Brito

                              I decided to return yp 4.95.

                              Message 14 of 30 , Oct 6, 2008
                                C Brito wrote:
                                > However, it is possible to return to the 4.95,

                                I would advise against it for two reasons:
                                - Version 5 really is better and more powerful.
                                - Nearly everyone here uses it. It would become difficult to get
                                meaningful advice and hold meaningful conversations about the old
                                version.

                                Version 5 is perfectly capable of holding all its files in its own
                                program folder. It may be a bit of a hassle for you to set that up,
                                not more than downgrading, I'm sure, but you need only do that once.
                                All future updates will honour your setup.

                                I don't remeber how my setup came not to use application data. There
                                must be a simple way, if it had not been, I'd remember.

                                Axel
                              • fw7oaks
                                Message 15 of 30 , Oct 6, 2008
                                  --- On Mon, 10/6/08, Axel Berger <Axel-Berger@...> wrote:

                                  [snip]

                                  > I don't remeber how my setup came not to use application data. There
                                  > must be a simple way, if it had not been, I'd remember.

                                  Isn't this an option when you upgrade the first time to a v5 ? Or am I getting my software confused.

                                  fw
                                  Message 16 of 30 , Oct 6, 2008
                                    fw7oaks wrote:
                                    > Isn't this an option when you upgrade the first time to a v5 ?

                                    Probably. I had installed but never used a trial version of 4.95. I only
                                    began trying it out after the upgrade to 5 IIRC. I'm don't remember
                                    whether my first version 5 was a clean install or an upgrade, after what
                                    you say it must have been the latter.

                                    If so this provides the answer to everyone seeking a clean and easy
                                    solution.

                                    Axel
                                  • C Brito
                                    Message 17 of 30 , Oct 6, 2008
                                      Gtiends,

                                      I first used 4.85, later 4.95, later 5.2, later 5.4.

                                      I already purchased hundreths of softwares, this is the first time
                                      with that kind of problem. It is a shame.

                                      I am returning to 4.95, and unfortunally now is impossible to use other editor.

                                      If I go to purchase a new program, always I ask: It is possible to run
                                      the program (and his data) in ANY directory that I want, or only in
                                      the c:\documents and settings\ etc? Normally yes. But if no, I never
                                      purchase the software. The reason for that is because I never use the
                                      C:, because of the continuous Windows problems. If you put
                                      programs/data in C:, every time you have a problem in the Windows or
                                      some virus you need to reinstall the Windows (format the C:, etc). And
                                      as you know, this is a very big problem if you have a lot of data and
                                      programs in the C:. You will need hours or days to reinstall all,
                                      after you reinstall the Windows, because you formatted the c:

                                      This is the ntp first problem, he always install in the C: as is
                                      default. You do not have a way to define your libraries directories,
                                      as in the old 4.95.

                                      The second problem, is that is very difficult (in 5.4) to install and
                                      to change the ntp to a specific libraries directory. This is a shame.
                                      I (and I think all users) do not want to know your specific .ini lines
                                      and what means each one, the path and directories definitions, even
                                      the register, etc, and to lost your time searching for help that you
                                      do not find in the ntp help. You need to choice YOUR data directories,
                                      either in your local computer or in your local network, and period.
                                      You do not even need to study this matter, you need to define filling
                                      a field, in the installation or in a change. This is the right way.

                                      Sorry, including today I losted 6 days with this problem, avoiding me
                                      to continue with my scripts. Nobody will pay for that.

                                      I will continue with the 4.95 because now I do not have other
                                      alternatives, but I go to search for a new editor with scripts, for
                                      the new projects. This is not the first time that I lost my time with
                                      this ntp problem.

                                      Thanks to all friends and best regards,
                                      C Brito
                                      ============

                                      Message 18 of 30 , Oct 6, 2008
                                        C Brito wrote:
                                        > This is the ntp first problem, he always install in the C: as is
                                        > default. You do not have a way to define your libraries directories,
                                        > as in the old 4.95.

                                        Sorry, but you're wrong. It may unnecessarily be more difficult than
                                        it was (if so, I hope Eric will improve matters) but it is possible.
                                        Also it seems that you could have kept yopur setting when upgrading
                                        from version 4.95, so it is, to be be blunt, your mistake. You have
                                        by now been given several ways to make you installation of 5 behave
                                        the way you want it to. Choose one and you're done.

                                        Axel
                                      • C Brito
                                        Message 19 of 30 , Oct 6, 2008
                                          Axel,

                                          I tried every. I put a dummy notepro.ini file in the ntp directory,
                                          before the installation. No. I put in the \libraries\ directory. No. I
                                          installed and re-installed the ntp several times, testing all
                                          (including clip codes apparently doing that). No.

                                          I tried to backup automatically after a ntp use, and restore later (to
                                          execute the SAME clip that I used before), with a backup program in
                                          the background. But the ntp do not allow to copy a Clip that is
                                          running (I suppose, the backup program do not copied).

                                          I do not have an explanation about what codes I must include in the
                                          .ini. The codes that define the paths and directories to be used to
                                          run. No list of codes to be used in the .ini.

                                          I tried several command line options with different parameters. No.

                                          Thanks,
                                          C Brito

                                          On Mon, Oct 6, 2008 at 1:26 PM, Axel Berger <Axel-Berger@...> wrote:
                                          > C Brito wrote:
                                          >> This is the ntp first problem, he always install in the C: as is
                                          >> default. You do not have a way to define your libraries directories,
                                          >> as in the old 4.95.
                                          >
                                          > Sorry, but you're wrong. It may unnecessarily be more difficult than
                                          > it was (if so, I hope Eric will improve matters) but it is possible.
                                          > Also it seems that you could have kept yopur setting when upgrading
                                          > from version 4.95, so it is, to be be blunt, your mistake. You have
                                          > by now been given several ways to make you installation of 5 behave
                                          > the way you want it to. Choose one and you're done.
                                          >
                                          > Axel

                                        • Art Kocsis
                                          Message 20 of 30 , Oct 6, 2008
                                            Eric,

                                            No I hadn't and for good reason. It has nothing to do with the problem. The
                                            problem is not INSTANCES of NoteTab but the INVOCATION of NoteTab. As I
                                            understand the /INST=default switch it should only work if NoteTab is
                                            already running, having been invoked with this switch.
                                            For typical users, this means editing the properties of the shortcut and
                                            adding the switch to the command line.

                                            However, for file association invocations, NoteTab is loaded via the
                                            registry, completely bypassing any command line options set in the
                                            shortcut. The only way I know to override the default behavior is to edit
                                            the shell command entries in the registry to add the /USER= to the NoteTab
                                            command line. In my experience, modifying shortcut properties is beyond the
                                            capabilities of most PC users let alone editing the registry.

                                            Actually, in testing the /INST=default switch (I find testing statements
                                            before posting them significantly reduces the embarrassment of erroneous
                                            posts!), I find it has no effect at all. Clicking on a text file when
                                            NoteTab is not running brings up the file in NoteTab with the Docs &
                                            Settings environment. Doing the same after NoteTab was started with the
                                            /INST=default switch and the /USER switch yields a new instance of NoteTab
                                            and with the Docs & Settings environment. Only after unchecking "Allow
                                            Multiple Instances" in Options | General does the "associated" file show up
                                            in an already running NoteTab. But then, why bother with /INST?

                                            In v4.95 I could easily specify the support files location within NoteTab
                                            (Options | Advanced | Support Files Location). I could set both my standard
                                            installation and my Pro installation to use the same files for clips,
                                            icons, dictionaries, etc without any duplications and with no concern about
                                            synchronization problems.

                                            In v5.x, you removed that option. Now, I have to use external (operating
                                            system), functions to set an internal NoteTab configuration environment -
                                            either via command line options in the shortcut link or by directly editing
                                            the registry. I can't fathom why you removed the option. It was already
                                            coded and debugged. And useful, else you wouldn't have implemented it in
                                            the first place. XP adds more emphasis on using Docs & Settings but it is
                                            really just another folder.

                                            I really wish I could convince you to put the support files location back
                                            into the option menu. It
                                            would make my life (and many others), much easier.

                                            BTW - Do you have an active mechanism for a wish list? I couldn't find
                                            anything on your site. Nor do I see anything on the NoteTab basic list. The
                                            little activity on the Next Release list seems to
                                            be mostly about clip problems (and should have been posted here).

                                            Thank you for your attention and reply.

                                            Namaste', Art

                                            At 10/5/2008 06:27 AM, you wrote:

                                            >Hi Art,
                                            >
                                            > > These are all work-arounds for correcting a mistake that shouldn't have
                                            > > been made in the first place. NoteTab v4.95 had an option for specifying
                                            > > the support directory location but this was taken out in v5. The /USB and
                                            > > /USER command line parameters help but just don't hack it. One can put the
                                            > > /USER switch in the shortcut but whenever NTB is invoked via file
                                            > > associations the shortcut is ignored.
                                            >
                                            >Have you tried using the special "default" token with the /INST switch?
                                            >Here's an extract from the NoteTab Help file:
                                            >
                                            >/INST=InstanceID
                                            >Opens a new instance of NoteTab (even if multiple instances is disabled)
                                            >or activates the instance matching the InstanceID text. Use quotes
                                            >around InstanceId if it contains spaces. Multiple instances are disabled
                                            >in instances opened through this method, and documents are not
                                            >automatically reopened unless you use the special "default" value. If
                                            >you want this instance to capture associated file types launched from a
                                            >file manager, use /INST=default. Example:
                                            >
                                            >NoteTab /INST=default
                                            >
                                            >I personally don't know any other program that offers this level of
                                            >flexibility in managing program instances.
                                            >
                                            >--
                                            >Regards,
                                            >
                                            >Eric Fookes
                                            ><http://www.fookes.com/>http://www.fookes.com/

                                          • Alan C
                                            Message 21 of 30 , Oct 6, 2008
                                              On Mon, Oct 6, 2008 at 9:49 AM, C Brito <backup2abet@...> wrote:

                                              > Axel,
                                              >
                                              > I tried every. I put a dummy notepro.ini file in the ntp directory,
                                              > before the installation. No.

                                              Remember, your data (when the C:\ app data area is used) your data is
                                              [always] "left untouched." BTW even the Notetab uninstaller does not remove
                                              it or touch said data.

                                              As you said above, you did the ini. But did you also make sure that, at the
                                              same time, you also must *not* have a notetab folder underneath the C:\ app
                                              data area. You would have had to manually remove the folder yourself in
                                              order for it to be gone. Otherwise, the folder would still have been there
                                              and likely also be the cause of the problem.

                                              One of the first things Notetab does upon launch is to quickly check the app
                                              data area. If it finds a Notetab folder there with ini [you got it] ie this
                                              makes notetab again use the c:\ app data area.

                                              2 things:

                                              1. *before* installing ver. 5.x, manually create the prog. folder and copy
                                              here your dummy ini file.

                                              2. *before* installing ver. 5.x, manually remove any and all notetab folder
                                              from under the c:\ app data area

                                              now install ver. 5.x and importantly be sure to point the installer to
                                              install notetab into the folder that you created in step 1 above.

                                              then upon first launch of ver. 5.x, notetab *must not find* any notetab
                                              folder under the c:\ app data area. *And* notetab *must also find* your
                                              dummy ini file under the prog folder

                                              I've never seen it not work (data under the prog. folder) with ver. 5.x
                                              whenever upon first launch after the 5.x installation all of those above
                                              requirements are met.

                                              Also, are you sure that you pointed the installer to install into the folder
                                              that you manually created and dropped in an ini before you installed 5.x

                                              Alan.

                                              > I put in the \libraries\ directory. No. I
                                              > installed and re-installed the ntp several times, testing all
                                              > (including clip codes apparently doing that). No.
                                              >
                                              > I tried to backup automatically after a ntp use, and restore later (to
                                              > execute the SAME clip that I used before), with a backup program in
                                              > the background. But the ntp do not allow to copy a Clip that is
                                              > running (I suppose, the backup program do not copied).
                                              >
                                              > I do not have an explanation about what codes I must include in the
                                              > .ini. The codes that define the paths and directories to be used to
                                              > run. No list of codes to be used in the .ini.
                                              >
                                              > I tried several command line options with different parameters. No.
                                              >
                                              > Thanks,
                                              > C Brito

                                            • Art Kocsis
                                              Message 22 of 30 , Oct 6, 2008
                                                C Brito,

                                                You are correct in saying that NoteTab 5.x cannot define the support
                                                libraries as
                                                version 4.95 did. Version 4.95 supported a menu option for the support
                                                folder location,
                                                version 5.x removed that menu choice.

                                                However, it is possible, with a bit of work, to accomplish what you want.
                                                This will involve
                                                using the v5.x command line options and modifying your registry. Don't
                                                panic, I'll show you how.

                                                First, you had earlier said you wanted to specify your library location.
                                                For the \USER=
                                                option to work you need to specify a folder one level ABOVE the library
                                                folder. It's an all or none situation. You can only specify the Notetab
                                                support folder tree. That is, all of the folders that were under the v4.95
                                                program folder or (now default) under the Docs & Settings folder. For
                                                example, you had said you wanted to use
                                                "e:\ntp10\notetab pro 5\libraries" as your library folder . To do so set:

                                                \USER="e:\ntp10\notetab pro 5\"

                                                Try this in a shortcut. Create a shortcut to your Notetab. Right click on
                                                it and choose "Properties". Add \USER="e:\ntp10\notetab pro 5\" after the
                                                program name, click OK and try it. Assuming this works for you, if you
                                                don't need to run NoteTab by file associations (double clicking on a txt
                                                file), you are done. Just create shortcuts for all your combinations of
                                                networks and libraries.

                                                If you need to use file associations it will take a bit more work.

                                                Copy the text below between the first start and end markers into your text
                                                editor and save it as, say, NoteTab Set Lib Test.reg. Make sure the
                                                "Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00" line is at the very top of the file.
                                                This file assumes that you are using NoteTab Pro, installed it in folder
                                                e:\ntp10\notetab pro 5\, and left the program name as NotePro.exe. If not,
                                                make any necessary changes. You can add any additional filetypes now or later.
                                                Copy all of the Notetab support folders to e:\ntp10\notetab pro 5\ so you have:

                                                e:\ntp10\notetab pro 5\
                                                e:\ntp10\notetab pro 5\Favorites
                                                e:\ntp10\notetab pro 5\Libraries
                                                e:\ntp10\notetab pro 5\Spelling
                                                etc

                                                Now, most important, back up your registry! Do a complete backup and/or
                                                create a restore point. Click on Start | Run and enter Regedit.exe. After
                                                it starts, "My Computer" should be highlighted. Click on File | Export and
                                                choose a name and location to save a text file image of the complete
                                                registry. Close RegEdit. (I can't hold your hand so we'are being overly
                                                cautious. This test only adds two test keys that won't do any
                                                harm.) Create a simple text file and save it with the filetype "xyz".
                                                Close your editor and then double click on the file you just created. You
                                                should now be looking at your test file in NotePro with all your libraries
                                                available.

                                                [Make sure there are no wrapped lines. You should end up with 3 pairs of
                                                lines.]

                                                <><><><><><><><><><> Start of first copy text <><><><><><><><><><>
                                                Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
                                                ;10-06-08 Customizations for NoteTab to define custom NoteTab Support
                                                folder location

                                                [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications\NoteProTest.exe\shell\open\command]
                                                @="\"E:\\ntp10\\notetab pro 5\\notepro.exe\" \"%1\"
                                                /USER=\"E:\\ntp10\\notetab pro 5\\\""

                                                [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.xyz]
                                                "Application"="NoteProTest.exe"
                                                <><><><><><><><><><> End of first copy text <><><><><><><><><><>

                                                Once you are satisfied with this process, you need to create modified the
                                                reg file for each of your various combinations. Note that the Notetab
                                                support files do not have to be under the Notetab program folder but can be
                                                named and located anywhere you desire. For example:

                                                E:\Supt Folder 1\
                                                E:\Supt Folder 1\Favorites
                                                E:\Supt Folder 1\Libraries

                                                E:\Supt Folder 2\
                                                E:\Supt Folder 2\Favorites
                                                E:\Supt Folder 2\Libraries

                                                Remember to copy the files into these folders. You can then double click on
                                                the reg file of your choice to change configurations.

                                                Here is an annotated reg text that may help you understand what goes where.
                                                Also, it contains multiple file association definitons.

                                                <><><><><><><><><><> Start of second copy text <><><><><><><><><><>
                                                Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
                                                ;10-06-08 Customizations for NoteTab to define custom NoteTab Support
                                                folder location

                                                ;Basic Registry structure:
                                                ; Replace <appl-keyname> with a user-friendly appl name
                                                ; Note: <appl-keyname> must be identical in all HCR & HCU entries
                                                ; Replace <full path to appl> with full path to NoteTab.exe
                                                ; Replace <cmd-line-options> with /USER=<full path to NoteTab Support Folder>
                                                ; Replace <.fileExt> with associated filetype .txt, .otl, .ctb, etc
                                                ; Create Key and value entry pair for each filetype
                                                ; Note the period preceding filetype

                                                ; [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications\<appl-keyname>\shell\open\command]
                                                ; @=<full path to appl> %1 <cmd-line-options>

                                                ;
                                                [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\<.fileExt>]
                                                ; "Application"="<appl-keyname>"

                                                ;############################################################################################
                                                ;HCR/HKLM shell open command defines appl name, path & command line for OS
                                                open on filetype
                                                ;Keyname is referenced by filetype/fileExt entries to find this definition
                                                ; Note the double back slashes & \" escape sequence for a double quote
                                                ; Note [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT] = Alias for [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes]

                                                [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications\NotePro.exe]

                                                [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications\NotePro.exe\shell]

                                                [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications\NotePro.exe\shell\open]

                                                [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications\NotePro.exe\shell\open\command]
                                                @="\"E:\\ntp10\\notetab pro 5\\notepro.exe\" \"%1\"
                                                /USER=\"E:\\ntp10\\notetab pro 5\\\""

                                                ;############################################################################################
                                                ;Current User Filetype associations. Overrides All User/global associations
                                                ;Appl name as defined in HCR/HKLM-SW-Classes Appl shell command key
                                                ;One for each filetype to be opened by NoteTab

                                                [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.clb]
                                                "Application"="NotePro.exe"

                                                [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.ctb]
                                                "Application"="NotePro.exe"

                                                [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.lrx]
                                                "Application"="NotePro.exe"

                                                [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.otl]
                                                "Application"="NotePro.exe"

                                                [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.rcp]
                                                "Application"="NotePro.exe"

                                                [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.txt]
                                                "Application"="NotePro.exe"

                                                ;############################################################################################
                                                ;HKLM Appl paths defines appl & path for use in RUN command
                                                ; Not much use for NoteTab config as NTB defaults to Docs & Settings
                                                support folder
                                                ;Key name defines appl name
                                                ;Default value (@), defines appl path & appl name (may be different from
                                                Key name)
                                                ;Command line options are invalid for this key, must add to RUN command dialog
                                                ; Example: Entering NoteTab in the RUN dialog would start NotePro.exe

                                                [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App
                                                Paths\NotePro.exe]
                                                @="E:\\ntp10\\notetab pro 5\\NotePro.exe"
                                                "Path"="E:\\ntp10\\notetab pro 5"

                                                <><><><><><><><><><> End of second copy text <><><><><><><><><><>

                                                At 10/6/2008 09:49 AM, you wrote:
                                                >Axel,
                                                >
                                                >I tried every. I put a dummy notepro.ini file in the ntp directory,
                                                >before the installation. No. I put in the \libraries\ directory. No. I
                                                >installed and re-installed the ntp several times, testing all
                                                >(including clip codes apparently doing that). No.
                                                >
                                                >I tried to backup automatically after a ntp use, and restore later (to
                                                >execute the SAME clip that I used before), with a backup program in
                                                >the background. But the ntp do not allow to copy a Clip that is
                                                >running (I suppose, the backup program do not copied).
                                                >
                                                >I do not have an explanation about what codes I must include in the
                                                >.ini. The codes that define the paths and directories to be used to
                                                >run. No list of codes to be used in the .ini.
                                                >
                                                >I tried several command line options with different parameters. No.
                                                >
                                                >Thanks,
                                                >C Brito
                                                >
                                                >On Mon, Oct 6, 2008 at 1:26 PM, Axel Berger
                                                ><<mailto:Axel-Berger%40nexgo.de>Axel-Berger@...> wrote:
                                                > > C Brito wrote:
                                                > >> This is the ntp first problem, he always install in the C: as is
                                                > >> default. You do not have a way to define your libraries directories,
                                                > >> as in the old 4.95.
                                                > >
                                                > > Sorry, but you're wrong. It may unnecessarily be more difficult than
                                                > > it was (if so, I hope Eric will improve matters) but it is possible.
                                                > > Also it seems that you could have kept yopur setting when upgrading
                                                > > from version 4.95, so it is, to be be blunt, your mistake. You have
                                                > > by now been given several ways to make you installation of 5 behave
                                                > > the way you want it to. Choose one and you're done.
                                                > >
                                                > > Axel
                                              • Art Kocsis
                                                Message 23 of 30 , Oct 6, 2008
                                                  Alan,

                                                  Not quite so. the \USER= command line option set either in a shortcut or in
                                                  the registry completely overrides what you are saying. The INI file in the
                                                  program folder is REQUIRED and it doesn't matter if a DOCS & Settings
                                                  Notetab folder exists or not. In v5.x, the ini file doesn't control diddly
                                                  squat about support files location - that was a version 4.95 option.

                                                  Namaste', Art

                                                  At 10/6/2008 02:23 PM, Alan wrote:
                                                  >On Mon, Oct 6, 2008 at 9:49 AM, C Brito
                                                  ><<mailto:backup2abet%40gmail.com>backup2abet@...> wrote:
                                                  >
                                                  > > Axel,
                                                  > >
                                                  > > I tried every. I put a dummy notepro.ini file in the ntp directory,
                                                  > > before the installation. No.
                                                  >
                                                  >Remember, your data (when the C:\ app data area is used) your data is
                                                  >[always] "left untouched." BTW even the Notetab uninstaller does not remove
                                                  >it or touch said data.
                                                  >
                                                  >As you said above, you did the ini. But did you also make sure that, at the
                                                  >same time, you also must *not* have a notetab folder underneath the C:\ app
                                                  >data area. You would have had to manually remove the folder yourself in
                                                  >order for it to be gone. Otherwise, the folder would still have been there
                                                  >and likely also be the cause of the problem.
                                                  >
                                                  >One of the first things Notetab does upon launch is to quickly check the app
                                                  >data area. If it finds a Notetab folder there with ini [you got it] ie this
                                                  >makes notetab again use the c:\ app data area.
                                                  >
                                                  >2 things:
                                                  >
                                                  >1. *before* installing ver. 5.x, manually create the prog. folder and copy
                                                  >here your dummy ini file.
                                                  >
                                                  >2. *before* installing ver. 5.x, manually remove any and all notetab folder
                                                  >from under the c:\ app data area
                                                  >
                                                  >now install ver. 5.x and importantly be sure to point the installer to
                                                  >install notetab into the folder that you created in step 1 above.
                                                  >
                                                  >then upon first launch of ver. 5.x, notetab *must not find* any notetab
                                                  >folder under the c:\ app data area. *And* notetab *must also find* your
                                                  >dummy ini file under the prog folder
                                                • John Shotsky
                                                  Message 24 of 30 , Oct 6, 2008
                                                    Not to throw gasoline on a fire, but Vista is going to make this even more of a mess. In Vista, UAC rears its head, and if active
                                                    there is a 'shadow' set of program files where programs write, since it is no longer legal for programs to write there. If UAC is
                                                    turned off, that changes, but it is going to be a messy problem for some time.

                                                    I think the best solution for everyone is to be able to install NTP wherever wanted, avoiding the default install folder if desired,
                                                    and an ability to specify where all support files live. I'm still using my XP computer, but one of these days I'm going to have to
                                                    move to the Vista one, and I'm dreading the installation nightmares that I already know about.

                                                    Best,
                                                    John

                                                    Message 25 of 30 , Oct 6, 2008
                                                      Sorry for the double post. My email client burped and I resent the wrong one.
                                                      and it had to be one of the longest posts at that :-(

                                                      At 10/6/2008 04:57 PM, you wrote:

                                                      >C Brito,

                                                      Namaste', Art

                                                      Some day we'll look back on all this and plow into a parked car. [nw]
                                                    • Alan C
                                                      Message 26 of 30 , Oct 6, 2008
                                                        On Mon, Oct 6, 2008 at 4:54 PM, Art Kocsis <artkns@...> wrote:

                                                        > Alan,

                                                        BTW what I had said applies to when running Win XP with administrator
                                                        privileges (data and writes under program folders is allowed). In contrast,
                                                        a user privileged user on XP AFAIK *is not allowed to write to the area
                                                        under program folders.* or maybe that depends on what type of user as that
                                                        (said no writes) definitely had been an issue off and on at times in the
                                                        past

                                                        Not quite so. the \USER= command line option set either in a shortcut or in
                                                        > the registry completely overrides what you are saying.

                                                        No problem. But I get it from others, some of whom posted in this thread to
                                                        this very effect, that *they* get clb libraries location to be/stay (only)
                                                        under the program folder by doing what I said when installing 5.x

                                                        So there happens to be a way to override

                                                        > The INI file in the
                                                        > program folder is REQUIRED and it doesn't matter if a DOCS & Settings
                                                        > Notetab folder exists or not.

                                                        Agreed. But if there also is a notepro.ini file in said docs/settings
                                                        notetab folder then this (folder with a found ini under app data) will
                                                        trigger 5.x to use the docs/settings app data area. (given admin priv. on XP
                                                        and given that not using said override method).

                                                        In v5.x, the ini file doesn't control diddly
                                                        > squat about support files location - that was a version 4.95 option.

                                                        (if support files means the user's data, where it's kept) Others have
                                                        already posted in this thread to the contrary. And, I too, happen to
                                                        disagree with you on that. Granted, certainly, I suppose if you use said
                                                        override method then the above (I suppose) is applicable.

                                                        Oh, maybe something got changed in the very latest release (though other
                                                        posters already have verified what I said) and they are likely using the
                                                        latest release. So I doubt that it's any different than what I said.

                                                        It appears that both of us are right due to others have verified me and that
                                                        you use additional methods such as said override. And, different levels of
                                                        different user permissions/privileges on different versions of Windows can
                                                        also add complexity/change_behavior.

                                                        Alan.

                                                        Message 27 of 30 , Oct 6, 2008
                                                          On Mon, Oct 6, 2008 at 5:58 PM, Alan C <acummingsus@...> wrote:

                                                          > On Mon, Oct 6, 2008 at 4:54 PM, Art Kocsis <artkns@...> wrote:
                                                          >
                                                          >> Alan,
                                                          >

                                                          > The INI file in the
                                                          >> program folder is REQUIRED and it doesn't matter if a DOCS & Settings
                                                          >> Notetab folder exists or not.
                                                          >

                                                          > Agreed. But if there also is a notepro.ini file in said docs/settings
                                                          > notetab folder then this (folder with a found ini under app data) will
                                                          > trigger 5.x to use the docs/settings app data area. (given admin priv. on XP
                                                          > and given that not using said override method).

                                                          Well, maybe (instead of my above there) it's the absence of an ini under the
                                                          program folder that triggers 5.x to use the app data area. I know this
                                                          latter (said absence) triggers 5.x to use app data area (given no
                                                          override). Not certain if what I said above always applies or not. But I
                                                          thought Eric once told us that 5.x "prioritizes" ie if it knows app data
                                                          area is being used then it loads from there any item that there is also
                                                          another one of under the program folder.

                                                          Which makes me seriously wonder if the ini the O.P. did is readable at the
                                                          point when 5.x first starts (again a past issue off an on, depends on a
                                                          particular user permissions, some versions of Windows, (evidently some were
                                                          not [at least not fully] allowed ini under the programs area.

                                                          Alan.

                                                        • Larry Hamilton
                                                          Message 28 of 30 , Oct 6, 2008
                                                            It is not so complicated to configure this.

                                                            I use a combination of a a shortcut with the desired settings and the
                                                            below mentioned ini file setting. I also put the shortcut in the SendTo
                                                            directory and I can send files to the desired NoteTab configuration
                                                            whether it is running or not. In my case, I do not change the default
                                                            text editor as I have too many users to support and need to see Window's
                                                            default behavior. I have never needed a registry edit to do what I need
                                                            to do with NoteTab.

                                                            A manual ini setting, plus the use of the command line options are all
                                                            that is required.

                                                            For the command line:

                                                            DriveOfYourChoice:\PathtoNoteTabexecutable /ini=pathtoinifile
                                                            /user=pathtodirectory

                                                            A concrete example is:

                                                            "C:\NoteTab\NoteTab.exe" /ini="C:\NoteTab\NoteTab.ini" /user="C:\NoteTab\"

                                                            In the ini file find this line in the [Application] section at the
                                                            beginning of the ini file. This controls whether or not NoteTab looks in
                                                            the App Data Directory.

                                                            UseProfileFolder=1

                                                            And change it to:

                                                            UseProfileFolder=0

                                                            If the line does not exist, add

                                                            UseProfileFolder=0

                                                            HTH,

                                                            Larry Hamilton

                                                            Message 29 of 30 , Oct 7, 2008
                                                              Swae Larrt.

                                                              Thanks. He is working ok, I will waut for 2 days.

                                                              Thanks to all friends.

                                                              Message 30 of 30 , Oct 10, 2008
                                                                Hi Art,

                                                                > No I hadn't and for good reason. It has nothing to do with the problem. The
                                                                > problem is not INSTANCES of NoteTab but the INVOCATION of NoteTab. As I
                                                                > understand the /INST=default switch it should only work if NoteTab is
                                                                > already running, having been invoked with this switch.

                                                                True. But if you use NoteTab a lot, you can have windows start the first
                                                                instance from a shortcut that defines all your command line settings.
                                                                Then any associated file you open will get loaded by the first instance.

                                                                > However, for file association invocations, NoteTab is loaded via the
                                                                > registry, completely bypassing any command line options set in the
                                                                > shortcut.

                                                                Not if you have taken care to open a first instance with all your
                                                                command line options. Have you tried using the /INST=default switch?
                                                                Note that it requires a recent NoteTab update.

                                                                > The only way I know to override the default behavior is to edit
                                                                > the shell command entries in the registry to add the /USER= to the NoteTab
                                                                > command line. In my experience, modifying shortcut properties is beyond the
                                                                > capabilities of most PC users let alone editing the registry.

                                                                The simple method I explained above does not require any changes to the
                                                                registry.

                                                                > Actually, in testing the /INST=default switch (I find testing statements
                                                                > before posting them significantly reduces the embarrassment of erroneous
                                                                > posts!), I find it has no effect at all.

                                                                What version of NoteTab are you running?

                                                                Eric Fookes
                                                                http://www.fookes.com/