Re: [Clip] Digest Number 2539 (Re: End of File Test)

  • Sheri
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 25, 2008
      Michael Frascinella wrote:
      > <>> Posted by: "Sheri" silvermoonwoman@...
      > <mailto:silvermoonwoman@...?Subject=%20Re%3A%20End%20of%20File%20Test>
      > silvermoonwoman2001 <http://profiles.yahoo.com/silvermoonwoman2001>
      > > Wed Sep 24, 2008 7:34 pm (PDT)
      > >
      > > Hi Michael,
      > >
      > > That only works if Wordwrap is Off, which you can set at the top using
      > >
      > > ^!SetWordwrap Off
      > >
      > > Also I would caution that Exit and End are special label names. Other
      > > special label names are Next and Skip. I think actual named labels in
      > > the clip should not use any of the special names.
      >
      > > ^!Goto Exit
      >
      > > says not to return to the calling clip (if any), so to terminate a
      > > clip, you would normally want to use End (not Exit).
      >
      > > Regards,
      > > Sheri
      > Sheri,
      >
      > Thanks for the tip about ^!SetWordwrap Off. I usually have it turned on.
      >
      > When you said to use the End label instead of Exit, did you mean I
      > should use ^!Goto End? Does that tell Notetab to stop the clip right
      > after that statement? I was trying to prevent the clip from continuing
      > past the first label (:lastrow) and into the second one (:end).
      >
      > Also, are you saying that, if I want to send processing to a label at
      > the end of the clip, I should avoid using :End as the label?
      Yes, for example:

      :NotLastLine
      ^!Info this is not the last line

      > What might
      > be the harm in doing that?
      By naming it "End" you eliminated the expected result of going to End
      (i.e., to terminate the current clip). Then elsewhere where ^!Goto End
      should have appropriate (but wasn't, because End is a named label in
      this clip), you used ^!Goto Exit. That is subtly different. If the clip
      got run using ^!Clip or ^!FarClip, the calling clip probably wants to
      continue processing after doing whatever should be done (if End of File).

      > The online help was not quite clear about how
      > to properly use the predefined labels. For example, I know that ^!Skip
      > is a command that asks you if you want to skip the next statement, but
      > how do you use the Skip label?

      There are all the ^!If variations, e.g.:

      ^!IfSame "^%a%" "^%b%" Next Else Skip

      But you can also use
      ^!Goto Skip

      Skip can also have an underscore and positive or negative number
      attached to it and it will skip the referenced number of lines (forward
      or backward) in the clip.