Re: [Clip] capture command prompt output in notetab?

  • Bob Gorman
    Message 1 of 20 , Sep 6, 2008
      Alec Burgess wrote:

      > Bob Gorman (bgorman@...) wrote (in part) (on 2008-09-06 at
      > 09:29):
      > > I find it so handy I put the clip on a button.
      > > My version is simply:
      > > ^$GetDosOutput("^?[Dos command=dir c:\projects\*.*]")$
      >
      > Great tip ... be careful not to run the clip while you have this clip or
      > another open.

      That explains some 'anomalies' I've encountered.

      > Unlike attempting to run a clip from the clipbook, output from a clip
      > executed from clipbar will happily overwrite the contents of the clip
      > ... he said, having trashed his first attempt. :-[
      >
      > I changed it to:
      > H=GetDOSOutput
      > ^!set %theCommand%=^?[Dos command=dir D:\Temp\*.*]
      > ^%theCommand%
      > ^$GetDosOutput("^%theCommand%")$
      >
      > so that the command actually used is printed at the top
      and can be copied and used as a basis for the next command if desired.

      Thank you, I like that. Especially while testing
      I definitely wanted the command itself to be printed out at the top.

      As always, I tweaked it to my personal preferences:

      ^!set %theCommand%=^?[Dos command=dir c:\projects\*.*]
      ^%theCommand%
      ^$GetDosOutput("^%theCommand%")$

      The extra empty line at the beginning seems to work better for me.
      and I switched in my preferred default.

      All of us can always do better than any of us!

      Bob

      --
      Knowledge is NOT enough!
      Knowledge + Confidence enables Action.

    • Alec Burgess
      Message 2 of 20 , Sep 7, 2008
        cc: to NTO
        Axel Berger (Axel-Berger@...) wrote (in part) (on 2008-09-05 at
        03:54):
        > "Don - HtmlFixIt.com" wrote:
        > > Is there a way to grab the output?
        >
        > Probably a silly question:
        > Just adding "> file.txt" after the command does not work?
        >
        > N.B: For those who have not heard: 4DOS has become freeware!
        > Looking at the price I always said: "I must get it, but not right
        > now." Now I have and should have done a long time ago.

        I went to look for it - afaict the original creator has made it
        open-source. He appears to have developed something new while someone
        else has taken over the reins of the original 4DOS. Did you get it from
        http://4dos.zzl.org/ ?

        At least for me, the install procedure seemed very confusing ....

        Anyhow, I finally decided to try PowerShell (free from MSOFT) (works
        with WinXP and Vista notwithstanding " windowserver" in the link:
        http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/technologies/management/powershell/default.mspx

        From links on its site and a little bit of googling I found two
        different but (I think) related IDEs (Integrated Development Environments):

        * PowerShellAnalyzer - http://powershell.com/announce/default.aspx#
        * PowerGUI - http://powergui.org/downloads.jspa

        PowerShell has bit of a learning curve but both IDEs offer really nice
        debugging line by line executions, while you're learning.
        PowerShellAnalyzer has a really neat feature: select some lines and
        execute them with Ctrl+F7
        Power GUI has (IMO) better integrated Help.

        They are both like Sheri's ClipCode Syntax on steroids :-)

        To bring it back to Notetab (and justify not throwing this directly to
        NTO) I think (though not yet tested) the same ^$GetDosOutput()$ clipbar
        we were discussing elsewhere in this thread should work with PowerPro.

        Sheri - you're into this kind of thing - have you (or anyone else here)
        used PowerShell?

      • loro
        Message 3 of 20 , Sep 7, 2008
          Alec Burgess wrote:
          > Did you get it from
          >http://4dos.zzl.org/ ?
          >
          >At least for me, the install procedure seemed very confusing ....

          The last version is still available from jpsoft site.
          http://www.jpsoft.com/download.htm

          Lotta
          Message 4 of 20 , Sep 7, 2008
            Alec Burgess wrote:
            > Did you get it from http://4dos.zzl.org/ ?

            I believe not. As far as I can remember I'm running the last
            official verson from the original site, i.e. the one that used to be
            sold.

            > At least for me, the install procedure seemed very confusing

            Yes. It's DOS old-style. If you know your way around in there,
            replacing the standard COMMAND.COM is nothing special but looking at
            it from a Windows background it will be.

            I don't use it that much, but I have often felt the severe limits of
            the DOS batch command language, making what I wanted to do
            impossible or forcing a very roundabout way. 4DOS solves most of
            that at the price, at least for me for the time being, of a lot of
            concentrated help file reading.