Re: [Clip] capture command prompt output in notetab?

  • Alec Burgess
    Message 1 of 20 , Sep 6, 2008
      Bob Gorman (bgorman@...) wrote (in part) (on 2008-09-06 at
      09:29):
      > I find it so handy I put the clip on a button.
      > My version is simply:
      > ^$GetDosOutput("^?[Dos command=dir c:\projects\*.*]")$

      Great tip ... be careful not to run the clip while you have this clip or
      another open.
      Unlike attempting to run a clip from the clipbook, output from a clip
      executed from clipbar will happily overwrite the contents of the clip
      ... he said, having trashed his first attempt. :-[

      I changed it to:
      H=GetDOSOutput
      ^!set %theCommand%=^?[Dos command=dir D:\Temp\*.*]
      ^%theCommand%
      ^$GetDosOutput("^%theCommand%")$

      so that the command actually used is printed at the top and can be
      copied and used as a basis for the next command if desired.

    • Bob Gorman
      Message 2 of 20 , Sep 6, 2008
        Alec Burgess wrote:

        > Bob Gorman (bgorman@...) wrote (in part) (on 2008-09-06 at
        > 09:29):
        > > I find it so handy I put the clip on a button.
        > > My version is simply:
        > > ^$GetDosOutput("^?[Dos command=dir c:\projects\*.*]")$
        >
        > Great tip ... be careful not to run the clip while you have this clip or
        > another open.

        That explains some 'anomalies' I've encountered.

        > Unlike attempting to run a clip from the clipbook, output from a clip
        > executed from clipbar will happily overwrite the contents of the clip
        > ... he said, having trashed his first attempt. :-[
        >
        > I changed it to:
        > H=GetDOSOutput
        > ^!set %theCommand%=^?[Dos command=dir D:\Temp\*.*]
        > ^%theCommand%
        > ^$GetDosOutput("^%theCommand%")$
        >
        > so that the command actually used is printed at the top
        and can be copied and used as a basis for the next command if desired.

        Thank you, I like that. Especially while testing
        I definitely wanted the command itself to be printed out at the top.

        As always, I tweaked it to my personal preferences:

        ^!set %theCommand%=^?[Dos command=dir c:\projects\*.*]
        ^%theCommand%
        ^$GetDosOutput("^%theCommand%")$

        The extra empty line at the beginning seems to work better for me.
        and I switched in my preferred default.

        All of us can always do better than any of us!

        Bob

        --
        Knowledge is NOT enough!
        Knowledge + Confidence enables Action.

      • Alec Burgess
        Message 3 of 20 , Sep 7, 2008
          cc: to NTO
          Axel Berger (Axel-Berger@...) wrote (in part) (on 2008-09-05 at
          03:54):
          > "Don - HtmlFixIt.com" wrote:
          > > Is there a way to grab the output?
          >
          > Probably a silly question:
          > Just adding "> file.txt" after the command does not work?
          >
          > N.B: For those who have not heard: 4DOS has become freeware!
          > Looking at the price I always said: "I must get it, but not right
          > now." Now I have and should have done a long time ago.

          I went to look for it - afaict the original creator has made it
          open-source. He appears to have developed something new while someone
          else has taken over the reins of the original 4DOS. Did you get it from
          http://4dos.zzl.org/ ?

          At least for me, the install procedure seemed very confusing ....

          Anyhow, I finally decided to try PowerShell (free from MSOFT) (works
          with WinXP and Vista notwithstanding " windowserver" in the link:
          http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/technologies/management/powershell/default.mspx

          From links on its site and a little bit of googling I found two
          different but (I think) related IDEs (Integrated Development Environments):

          * PowerShellAnalyzer - http://powershell.com/announce/default.aspx#
          * PowerGUI - http://powergui.org/downloads.jspa

          PowerShell has bit of a learning curve but both IDEs offer really nice
          debugging line by line executions, while you're learning.
          PowerShellAnalyzer has a really neat feature: select some lines and
          execute them with Ctrl+F7
          Power GUI has (IMO) better integrated Help.

          They are both like Sheri's ClipCode Syntax on steroids :-)

          To bring it back to Notetab (and justify not throwing this directly to
          NTO) I think (though not yet tested) the same ^$GetDosOutput()$ clipbar
          we were discussing elsewhere in this thread should work with PowerPro.

          Sheri - you're into this kind of thing - have you (or anyone else here)
          used PowerShell?

        • loro
          Message 4 of 20 , Sep 7, 2008
            Alec Burgess wrote:
            > Did you get it from
            >http://4dos.zzl.org/ ?
            >
            >At least for me, the install procedure seemed very confusing ....

            The last version is still available from jpsoft site.
            http://www.jpsoft.com/download.htm

            Lotta
            Message 5 of 20 , Sep 7, 2008
              Alec Burgess wrote:
              > Did you get it from http://4dos.zzl.org/ ?

              I believe not. As far as I can remember I'm running the last
              official verson from the original site, i.e. the one that used to be
              sold.

              > At least for me, the install procedure seemed very confusing

              Yes. It's DOS old-style. If you know your way around in there,
              replacing the standard COMMAND.COM is nothing special but looking at
              it from a Windows background it will be.

              I don't use it that much, but I have often felt the severe limits of
              the DOS batch command language, making what I wanted to do
              impossible or forcing a very roundabout way. 4DOS solves most of
              that at the price, at least for me for the time being, of a lot of
              concentrated help file reading.