UTF-8 Support

  • John Shotsky
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 6, 2008
      Wondering if anyone has written clips to convert accented characters
      to UTF-8 format.

      The problem:
      XML files written by some applications are UTF-8. When those files
      are sent in email (not as attachments) the email system may convert
      the higher characters to another format. When I use NoteTab to fix
      other email problems, such as a CR at the end of every line, I can
      create a good XML file, but it won't load because the accented
      characters are not in UTF-8 format.

      I downloaded another text editor, opened my NoteTab file, saved it
      explicitly as UTF-8, and the application happily opened it. That
      tells me that if I could convert those characters using clips, I
      could save the file in UTF-8 format.

      I did the following test also:
      Opened a valid UTF-8 XML file in NoteTab, edited it, and saved it. It
      was imported correctly. That means NoteTab didn't change the
      formatting.

      Copied the contents of that file to a new document, saved it, and it
      would NOT import. I assume NoteTab converted the UTF-8 when I pasted
      it into the new doc.

      Opened the document that would not load with the aforesaid editor,
      saved as UTF-8, and it would import corrctly.

      So, I'm looking for clips that will convert those characters to UTF-
      8. If there's a clip library somewhere that would do it, that would
      be fine. If not, I just need to write my own, but I'm not sure how to
      do that.

      Any help would be appreciated. By the way, letters like jalapeño are
      the ones I'm talking about. Of course there are both upper case and
      lower case versions to handle.

      Thanks,
      John
    • John Shotsky
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 7, 2008
        I found a solution to this problem, so it is no longer an issue for me. I changed the encoding on my file from UTF-8 to ISO-8859-1,
        and that solved it.

        I would still be interested to learn how to change accented characters into UTF-8 (double-byte), but only for educational purposes
        at this point.

        Thanks,
        John

        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 7, 2008
          John Shotsky wrote:
          >I found a solution to this problem, so it is no longer an issue for
          >me. I changed the encoding on my file from UTF-8 to ISO-8859-1,
          >and that solved it.

          There's ^!AppendTextToUnicodeFile, but I'm not sure what it does. The
          explanation is a little ambiguous to me, still it's somewhat promising.

          "Appends the specified text to the end of a disk file in Unicode
          format using the current Windows code page. A new file is created if
          FileName does not exist."

          A bigger problem than my understanding is that it doesn't run - not
          in 4.95 and not in 5.7. I get the error "Could not launch
          AppendTextToUnicodeFile...". I don't see there's anything wrong with
          my syntax. Or is there?

          ^!AppendTextToUnicodeFile "C:\ntpuni.txt" ÅÄÖ

          Lotta
        • loro
          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 7, 2008
            I wrote:
            >A bigger problem than my understanding is that it doesn't run - not
            >in 4.95 and not in 5.7. I get the error "Could not launch
            >AppendTextToUnicodeFile...". I don't see there's anything wrong with
            >my syntax. Or is there?
            >
            >^!AppendTextToUnicodeFile "C:\ntpuni.txt" ÅÄÖ

            Ha! Figured it out. Must be an error in Help. ^!AppendToUnicodeFile
            works, but alas it doesn't output Unicode characters.

            Lotta
          • hsavage
            Message 5 of 6 , Sep 7, 2008
              loro wrote:
              > John Shotsky wrote:
              >> I found a solution to this problem, so it is no longer an issue for
              >> me. I changed the encoding on my file from UTF-8 to ISO-8859-1,
              >> and that solved it.
              >
              > There's ^!AppendTextToUnicodeFile, but I'm not sure what it does. The
              > explanation is a little ambiguous to me, still it's somewhat promising.
              >
              > "Appends the specified text to the end of a disk file in Unicode
              > format using the current Windows code page. A new file is created if
              > FileName does not exist."
              >
              > A bigger problem than my understanding is that it doesn't run - not
              > in 4.95 and not in 5.7. I get the error "Could not launch
              > AppendTextToUnicodeFile...". I don't see there's anything wrong with
              > my syntax. Or is there?
              >
              > ^!AppendTextToUnicodeFile "C:\ntpuni.txt" ÅÄÖ
              >
              > Lotta

              Hi Lotta,

              I've never used Unicode that I'm aware but, there must be a typo in the
              help file.

              This ^!AppendTextToUnicodeFile command will work or, appears to work, if
              you eliminate the word 'Text' from the command as here,
              ^!AppendToUnicodeFile

              h=appendtouni
              ;^!TextToUnicodeFile C:\ntpuni.txt ^$GetSelection$
              ^!AppendToUnicodeFile C:\ntpuni.txt ^$GetSelection$

              ºvº SL_251 created_2008.09.07_10.43.25

              Rules guys wish girls knew...
              • If you ask a question you don't want an answer to,
              • expect an answer you don't want to hear.
              € hrs € hsavage € pobox € com
            • loro
              Message 6 of 6 , Sep 7, 2008
                Harvey wrote:
                >This ^!AppendTextToUnicodeFile command will work or, appears to work, if
                >you eliminate the word 'Text' from the command

                Yes, I also realized that and I have reported it to Eric.

                The conversation gets strange when yahoogropups is slow. :-)

                Lotta