[Clip] capture command prompt output in notetab?

  • Bob Gorman
    Message 1 of 20 , Sep 6, 2008
      Don,
      I find it so handy I put the clip on a button.
      My version is simply:
      ^$GetDosOutput("^?[Dos command=dir c:\projects\*.*]")$
      ***************
      Since about 90% of my requests are directory searches
      I initialize it to: dir c:\projects\*.*
      since this comes up selected, its easy to just hit the DEL button for a
      clear window.
      but I often search for *.otl, *.xls, or *.lgo (Logo programs)
      and add " /s" for subdirectory searching.

      However there is a wealth of builtin help, accessed with <space>/?
      Here are some handy and informative commands
      cmd /? - give the basic command format and all it's options,
      even, which is often neglected:
      The special characters that require quotes are:
      <space>
      &()[]{}^=;!'+,`~

      HELP (without the /?) - gives a list of all the builtin commands,
      then each and be checked out (with the /?)
      my favorites are:
      sort /?
      copy /?

      Explore & enjoy!
      Bob

      --
      If at first, you don't succeed; Parachuting is probably not for you!
      http://www.KnCell.org
      Message 2 of 20 , Sep 6, 2008
        "Don - HtmlFixIt.com" wrote:
        > In fact I still hope that it may be and thus, I kept the
        > discussion here in hopes that someone would pop in with
        > the answer.

        Will a quick half-answer suffice? You can call the program in a clip
        with > temp.txt and then open that file right after. I don't know
        how to wait for the reappearance of the cursor in a clip, but a
        solution would be to place the command in a batch ending it with
        PAUSE.

        Axel
      • Alec Burgess
        Message 3 of 20 , Sep 6, 2008
          Bob Gorman (bgorman@...) wrote (in part) (on 2008-09-06 at
          09:29):
          > I find it so handy I put the clip on a button.
          > My version is simply:
          > ^$GetDosOutput("^?[Dos command=dir c:\projects\*.*]")$

          Great tip ... be careful not to run the clip while you have this clip or
          another open.
          Unlike attempting to run a clip from the clipbook, output from a clip
          executed from clipbar will happily overwrite the contents of the clip
          ... he said, having trashed his first attempt. :-[

          I changed it to:
          H=GetDOSOutput
          ^!set %theCommand%=^?[Dos command=dir D:\Temp\*.*]
          ^%theCommand%
          ^$GetDosOutput("^%theCommand%")$

          so that the command actually used is printed at the top and can be
          copied and used as a basis for the next command if desired.

        • Bob Gorman
          Message 4 of 20 , Sep 6, 2008
            Alec Burgess wrote:

            > Bob Gorman (bgorman@...) wrote (in part) (on 2008-09-06 at
            > 09:29):
            > > I find it so handy I put the clip on a button.
            > > My version is simply:
            > > ^$GetDosOutput("^?[Dos command=dir c:\projects\*.*]")$
            >
            > Great tip ... be careful not to run the clip while you have this clip or
            > another open.

            That explains some 'anomalies' I've encountered.

            > Unlike attempting to run a clip from the clipbook, output from a clip
            > executed from clipbar will happily overwrite the contents of the clip
            > ... he said, having trashed his first attempt. :-[
            >
            > I changed it to:
            > H=GetDOSOutput
            > ^!set %theCommand%=^?[Dos command=dir D:\Temp\*.*]
            > ^%theCommand%
            > ^$GetDosOutput("^%theCommand%")$
            >
            > so that the command actually used is printed at the top
            and can be copied and used as a basis for the next command if desired.

            Thank you, I like that. Especially while testing
            I definitely wanted the command itself to be printed out at the top.

            As always, I tweaked it to my personal preferences:

            ^!set %theCommand%=^?[Dos command=dir c:\projects\*.*]
            ^%theCommand%
            ^$GetDosOutput("^%theCommand%")$

            The extra empty line at the beginning seems to work better for me.
            and I switched in my preferred default.

            All of us can always do better than any of us!

            Bob

            --
            Knowledge is NOT enough!
            Knowledge + Confidence enables Action.

          • Alec Burgess
            Message 5 of 20 , Sep 7, 2008
              cc: to NTO
              Axel Berger (Axel-Berger@...) wrote (in part) (on 2008-09-05 at
              03:54):
              > "Don - HtmlFixIt.com" wrote:
              > > Is there a way to grab the output?
              >
              > Probably a silly question:
              > Just adding "> file.txt" after the command does not work?
              >
              > N.B: For those who have not heard: 4DOS has become freeware!
              > Looking at the price I always said: "I must get it, but not right
              > now." Now I have and should have done a long time ago.

              I went to look for it - afaict the original creator has made it
              open-source. He appears to have developed something new while someone
              else has taken over the reins of the original 4DOS. Did you get it from
              http://4dos.zzl.org/ ?

              At least for me, the install procedure seemed very confusing ....

              Anyhow, I finally decided to try PowerShell (free from MSOFT) (works
              with WinXP and Vista notwithstanding " windowserver" in the link:
              http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/technologies/management/powershell/default.mspx

              From links on its site and a little bit of googling I found two
              different but (I think) related IDEs (Integrated Development Environments):

              * PowerShellAnalyzer - http://powershell.com/announce/default.aspx#
              * PowerGUI - http://powergui.org/downloads.jspa

              PowerShell has bit of a learning curve but both IDEs offer really nice
              debugging line by line executions, while you're learning.
              PowerShellAnalyzer has a really neat feature: select some lines and
              execute them with Ctrl+F7
              Power GUI has (IMO) better integrated Help.

              They are both like Sheri's ClipCode Syntax on steroids :-)

              To bring it back to Notetab (and justify not throwing this directly to
              NTO) I think (though not yet tested) the same ^$GetDosOutput()$ clipbar
              we were discussing elsewhere in this thread should work with PowerPro.

              Sheri - you're into this kind of thing - have you (or anyone else here)
              used PowerShell?

            • loro
              Message 6 of 20 , Sep 7, 2008
                Alec Burgess wrote:
                > Did you get it from
                >http://4dos.zzl.org/ ?
                >
                >At least for me, the install procedure seemed very confusing ....

                The last version is still available from jpsoft site.
                http://www.jpsoft.com/download.htm

                Lotta
                Message 7 of 20 , Sep 7, 2008
                  Alec Burgess wrote:
                  > Did you get it from http://4dos.zzl.org/ ?

                  I believe not. As far as I can remember I'm running the last
                  official verson from the original site, i.e. the one that used to be
                  sold.

                  > At least for me, the install procedure seemed very confusing

                  Yes. It's DOS old-style. If you know your way around in there,
                  replacing the standard COMMAND.COM is nothing special but looking at
                  it from a Windows background it will be.

                  I don't use it that much, but I have often felt the severe limits of
                  the DOS batch command language, making what I wanted to do
                  impossible or forcing a very roundabout way. 4DOS solves most of
                  that at the price, at least for me for the time being, of a lot of
                  concentrated help file reading.