Re: [Clip] capture command prompt output in notetab?

  • Don - HtmlFixIt.com
    Message 1 of 20 , Sep 6, 2008
      loro wrote:
      > Don wrote:
      >> Is there a way to grab the output? I want to do a trace route that is
      >> pretty long and not have to type the output.
      >
      > Why type when you can copy?
      >
      >> Can I run the command
      >> prompt and capture it in notetab with a clip?
      >
      > ^$GetDosOutput()$
      >
      > Lotta

      Thanks Lotta, I missed this one.
      ^$GetDosOutput(tracert domain.com)$
      Works fine.

      Now I can spice that up by asking for the domain.name in a wizard.

      I could also run it on a list of domains from a file etc. That's what I
      wanted.
    • Bob Gorman
      Message 2 of 20 , Sep 6, 2008
        Don,
        I find it so handy I put the clip on a button.
        My version is simply:
        ^$GetDosOutput("^?[Dos command=dir c:\projects\*.*]")$
        ***************
        Since about 90% of my requests are directory searches
        I initialize it to: dir c:\projects\*.*
        since this comes up selected, its easy to just hit the DEL button for a
        clear window.
        but I often search for *.otl, *.xls, or *.lgo (Logo programs)
        and add " /s" for subdirectory searching.

        However there is a wealth of builtin help, accessed with <space>/?
        Here are some handy and informative commands
        cmd /? - give the basic command format and all it's options,
        even, which is often neglected:
        The special characters that require quotes are:
        <space>
        &()[]{}^=;!'+,`~

        HELP (without the /?) - gives a list of all the builtin commands,
        then each and be checked out (with the /?)
        my favorites are:
        sort /?
        copy /?

        Explore & enjoy!
        Bob

        --
        If at first, you don't succeed; Parachuting is probably not for you!
        http://www.KnCell.org
        Message 3 of 20 , Sep 6, 2008
          "Don - HtmlFixIt.com" wrote:
          > In fact I still hope that it may be and thus, I kept the
          > discussion here in hopes that someone would pop in with
          > the answer.

          Will a quick half-answer suffice? You can call the program in a clip
          with > temp.txt and then open that file right after. I don't know
          how to wait for the reappearance of the cursor in a clip, but a
          solution would be to place the command in a batch ending it with
          PAUSE.

          Axel
        • Alec Burgess
          Message 4 of 20 , Sep 6, 2008
            Bob Gorman (bgorman@...) wrote (in part) (on 2008-09-06 at
            09:29):
            > I find it so handy I put the clip on a button.
            > My version is simply:
            > ^$GetDosOutput("^?[Dos command=dir c:\projects\*.*]")$

            Great tip ... be careful not to run the clip while you have this clip or
            another open.
            Unlike attempting to run a clip from the clipbook, output from a clip
            executed from clipbar will happily overwrite the contents of the clip
            ... he said, having trashed his first attempt. :-[

            I changed it to:
            H=GetDOSOutput
            ^!set %theCommand%=^?[Dos command=dir D:\Temp\*.*]
            ^%theCommand%
            ^$GetDosOutput("^%theCommand%")$

            so that the command actually used is printed at the top and can be
            copied and used as a basis for the next command if desired.

          • Bob Gorman
            Message 5 of 20 , Sep 6, 2008
              Alec Burgess wrote:

              > Bob Gorman (bgorman@...) wrote (in part) (on 2008-09-06 at
              > 09:29):
              > > I find it so handy I put the clip on a button.
              > > My version is simply:
              > > ^$GetDosOutput("^?[Dos command=dir c:\projects\*.*]")$
              >
              > Great tip ... be careful not to run the clip while you have this clip or
              > another open.

              That explains some 'anomalies' I've encountered.

              > Unlike attempting to run a clip from the clipbook, output from a clip
              > executed from clipbar will happily overwrite the contents of the clip
              > ... he said, having trashed his first attempt. :-[
              >
              > I changed it to:
              > H=GetDOSOutput
              > ^!set %theCommand%=^?[Dos command=dir D:\Temp\*.*]
              > ^%theCommand%
              > ^$GetDosOutput("^%theCommand%")$
              >
              > so that the command actually used is printed at the top
              and can be copied and used as a basis for the next command if desired.

              Thank you, I like that. Especially while testing
              I definitely wanted the command itself to be printed out at the top.

              As always, I tweaked it to my personal preferences:

              ^!set %theCommand%=^?[Dos command=dir c:\projects\*.*]
              ^%theCommand%
              ^$GetDosOutput("^%theCommand%")$

              The extra empty line at the beginning seems to work better for me.
              and I switched in my preferred default.

              All of us can always do better than any of us!

              Bob

              --
              Knowledge is NOT enough!
              Knowledge + Confidence enables Action.

            • Alec Burgess
              Message 6 of 20 , Sep 7, 2008
                cc: to NTO
                Axel Berger (Axel-Berger@...) wrote (in part) (on 2008-09-05 at
                03:54):
                > "Don - HtmlFixIt.com" wrote:
                > > Is there a way to grab the output?
                >
                > Probably a silly question:
                > Just adding "> file.txt" after the command does not work?
                >
                > N.B: For those who have not heard: 4DOS has become freeware!
                > Looking at the price I always said: "I must get it, but not right
                > now." Now I have and should have done a long time ago.

                I went to look for it - afaict the original creator has made it
                open-source. He appears to have developed something new while someone
                else has taken over the reins of the original 4DOS. Did you get it from
                http://4dos.zzl.org/ ?

                At least for me, the install procedure seemed very confusing ....

                Anyhow, I finally decided to try PowerShell (free from MSOFT) (works
                with WinXP and Vista notwithstanding " windowserver" in the link:
                http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/technologies/management/powershell/default.mspx

                From links on its site and a little bit of googling I found two
                different but (I think) related IDEs (Integrated Development Environments):

                * PowerShellAnalyzer - http://powershell.com/announce/default.aspx#
                * PowerGUI - http://powergui.org/downloads.jspa

                PowerShell has bit of a learning curve but both IDEs offer really nice
                debugging line by line executions, while you're learning.
                PowerShellAnalyzer has a really neat feature: select some lines and
                execute them with Ctrl+F7
                Power GUI has (IMO) better integrated Help.

                They are both like Sheri's ClipCode Syntax on steroids :-)

                To bring it back to Notetab (and justify not throwing this directly to
                NTO) I think (though not yet tested) the same ^$GetDosOutput()$ clipbar
                we were discussing elsewhere in this thread should work with PowerPro.

                Sheri - you're into this kind of thing - have you (or anyone else here)
                used PowerShell?

              • loro
                Message 7 of 20 , Sep 7, 2008
                  Alec Burgess wrote:
                  > Did you get it from
                  >http://4dos.zzl.org/ ?
                  >
                  >At least for me, the install procedure seemed very confusing ....

                  The last version is still available from jpsoft site.
                  http://www.jpsoft.com/download.htm

                  Lotta
                  Message 8 of 20 , Sep 7, 2008
                    Alec Burgess wrote:
                    > Did you get it from http://4dos.zzl.org/ ?

                    I believe not. As far as I can remember I'm running the last
                    official verson from the original site, i.e. the one that used to be
                    sold.

                    > At least for me, the install procedure seemed very confusing

                    Yes. It's DOS old-style. If you know your way around in there,
                    replacing the standard COMMAND.COM is nothing special but looking at
                    it from a Windows background it will be.

                    I don't use it that much, but I have often felt the severe limits of
                    the DOS batch command language, making what I wanted to do
                    impossible or forcing a very roundabout way. 4DOS solves most of
                    that at the price, at least for me for the time being, of a lot of
                    concentrated help file reading.