Re: [Clip] capture command prompt output in notetab?

  • Don - HtmlFixIt.com
    Message 1 of 20 , Sep 5, 2008
      Axel Berger wrote:
      > "Don - HtmlFixIt.com" wrote:
      >> are there spaces in it?
      >
      > Not sure whether they're mandatory, but I always place a space
      > before and after the ">". I mostly use this redirect for stdout with
      > dir and sometimes with some.com /?.
      >
      > I just tried tracert berger-odenthal.de > trace.txt
      > and tracert berger-odenthal.de > E:\temp\trace.txt
      >
      > Both work.
      >
      > Axel

      Works for me as well now in your format. I'm thinking that maybe when I
      specified nothing for directory that it worked and I just don't know
      where it went hence thinking it did nothing ... It of course gives
      nothing back on the command screen, it just pauses and then gives a new
      prompt. Thanks for helping me figure it out.
    • Larry Hamilton
      Message 2 of 20 , Sep 5, 2008
        Don - HtmlFixIt.com wrote:
        > Works for me as well now in your format. I'm thinking that maybe when I
        > specified nothing for directory that it worked and I just don't know
        > where it went hence thinking it did nothing ... It of course gives
        > nothing back on the command screen, it just pauses and then gives a new
        > prompt. Thanks for helping me figure it out.
        Don,

        The format:

        command [options] > filename.txt

        takes the output of the command and puts it in the text file in the
        directory from which the command was run.

        So if you are at the C:\ prompt the file will be at C:\filename.txt.

        You can specify a full path, and if there are spaces in directories or
        filenames, enclose in quotes.

        Using the different operators you can chain commands together. This is
        common on Unix/Linux.

        Anymore on this should go to the offtopic list.

        --
        Larry Hamilton
        Kairos Computer Solutions
        Message 3 of 20 , Sep 5, 2008
          Larry Hamilton wrote:
          > Don - HtmlFixIt.com wrote:
          >
          >> Works for me as well now in your format. I'm thinking that maybe when I
          >> specified nothing for directory that it worked and I just don't know
          >> where it went hence thinking it did nothing ... It of course gives
          >> nothing back on the command screen, it just pauses and then gives a new
          >> prompt. Thanks for helping me figure it out.
          >>
          > Don,
          >
          > The format:
          >
          > command [options] > filename.txt
          >
          > takes the output of the command and puts it in the text file in the
          > directory from which the command was run.
          >
          > So if you are at the C:\ prompt the file will be at C:\filename.txt.
          >
          > You can specify a full path, and if there are spaces in directories or
          > filenames, enclose in quotes.
          >
          > Using the different operators you can chain commands together. This is
          > common on Unix/Linux.
          >
          > Anymore on this should go to the offtopic list.

          One other way to get the text of a command's output is with copy & paste.

          In Windows it needs to be in a window. Right-Click the title bar and
          there are options under Edit to Mark, Paste, and Select All. Use Mark
          to select just part of the text on the screen and press ENTER to copy to
          the clipboard.

          With Paste you can paste in long commands without having to type them.

          Select All highlights the entire contents of the screen, and again,
          ENTER copies to the clipboard. I used this feature with NoteTab's
          PasteBoard to get all the screens of some DOS programs I have the joy of
          supporting, so I could document them.

          With Unix/Linux, you can use the mouse to highlight a portion of the CLI
          window and use CTRL+SHIFT+C to copy and CTRL+SHIFT+V to paste.

          Message 4 of 20 , Sep 6, 2008
            Larry Hamilton wrote:
            I didn't know this
            >> takes the output of the command and puts it in the text file in the
            >> directory from which the command was run.

            I didn't know this either -- my gosh you people are smart.
            > In Windows it needs to be in a window. Right-Click the title bar and
            > there are options under Edit to Mark, Paste, and Select All. Use Mark
            > to select just part of the text on the screen and press ENTER to copy to
            > the clipboard.

            I did know about f4 and f5, so that helped so that I didn't have to
            fully retype my command each time.

            I realize that this became off topic. Originally I was thinking this
            could all be done with a clip. In fact I still hope that it may be and
            thus, I kept the discussion here in hopes that someone would pop in with
            the answer. I do have what I need for the moment, but I have had to run
            this several dozen times and then retrieve the files. Oh how nice if I
            clip could have made it automated, eh?
          • Don - HtmlFixIt.com
            Message 5 of 20 , Sep 6, 2008
              loro wrote:
              > Don wrote:
              >> Is there a way to grab the output? I want to do a trace route that is
              >> pretty long and not have to type the output.
              >
              > Why type when you can copy?
              >
              >> Can I run the command
              >> prompt and capture it in notetab with a clip?
              >
              > ^$GetDosOutput()$
              >
              > Lotta

              Thanks Lotta, I missed this one.
              ^$GetDosOutput(tracert domain.com)$
              Works fine.

              Now I can spice that up by asking for the domain.name in a wizard.

              I could also run it on a list of domains from a file etc. That's what I
              wanted.
            • Bob Gorman
              Message 6 of 20 , Sep 6, 2008
                Don,
                I find it so handy I put the clip on a button.
                My version is simply:
                ^$GetDosOutput("^?[Dos command=dir c:\projects\*.*]")$
                ***************
                Since about 90% of my requests are directory searches
                I initialize it to: dir c:\projects\*.*
                since this comes up selected, its easy to just hit the DEL button for a
                clear window.
                but I often search for *.otl, *.xls, or *.lgo (Logo programs)
                and add " /s" for subdirectory searching.

                However there is a wealth of builtin help, accessed with <space>/?
                Here are some handy and informative commands
                cmd /? - give the basic command format and all it's options,
                even, which is often neglected:
                The special characters that require quotes are:
                <space>
                &()[]{}^=;!'+,`~

                HELP (without the /?) - gives a list of all the builtin commands,
                then each and be checked out (with the /?)
                my favorites are:
                sort /?
                copy /?

                Explore & enjoy!
                Bob

                --
                If at first, you don't succeed; Parachuting is probably not for you!
                http://www.KnCell.org
                Message 7 of 20 , Sep 6, 2008
                  "Don - HtmlFixIt.com" wrote:
                  > In fact I still hope that it may be and thus, I kept the
                  > discussion here in hopes that someone would pop in with
                  > the answer.

                  Will a quick half-answer suffice? You can call the program in a clip
                  with > temp.txt and then open that file right after. I don't know
                  how to wait for the reappearance of the cursor in a clip, but a
                  solution would be to place the command in a batch ending it with
                  PAUSE.

                  Axel
                • Alec Burgess
                  Message 8 of 20 , Sep 6, 2008
                    Bob Gorman (bgorman@...) wrote (in part) (on 2008-09-06 at
                    09:29):
                    > I find it so handy I put the clip on a button.
                    > My version is simply:
                    > ^$GetDosOutput("^?[Dos command=dir c:\projects\*.*]")$

                    Great tip ... be careful not to run the clip while you have this clip or
                    another open.
                    Unlike attempting to run a clip from the clipbook, output from a clip
                    executed from clipbar will happily overwrite the contents of the clip
                    ... he said, having trashed his first attempt. :-[

                    I changed it to:
                    H=GetDOSOutput
                    ^!set %theCommand%=^?[Dos command=dir D:\Temp\*.*]
                    ^%theCommand%
                    ^$GetDosOutput("^%theCommand%")$

                    so that the command actually used is printed at the top and can be
                    copied and used as a basis for the next command if desired.

                  • Bob Gorman
                    Message 9 of 20 , Sep 6, 2008
                      Alec Burgess wrote:

                      > Bob Gorman (bgorman@...) wrote (in part) (on 2008-09-06 at
                      > 09:29):
                      > > I find it so handy I put the clip on a button.
                      > > My version is simply:
                      > > ^$GetDosOutput("^?[Dos command=dir c:\projects\*.*]")$
                      >
                      > Great tip ... be careful not to run the clip while you have this clip or
                      > another open.

                      That explains some 'anomalies' I've encountered.

                      > Unlike attempting to run a clip from the clipbook, output from a clip
                      > executed from clipbar will happily overwrite the contents of the clip
                      > ... he said, having trashed his first attempt. :-[
                      >
                      > I changed it to:
                      > H=GetDOSOutput
                      > ^!set %theCommand%=^?[Dos command=dir D:\Temp\*.*]
                      > ^%theCommand%
                      > ^$GetDosOutput("^%theCommand%")$
                      >
                      > so that the command actually used is printed at the top
                      and can be copied and used as a basis for the next command if desired.

                      Thank you, I like that. Especially while testing
                      I definitely wanted the command itself to be printed out at the top.

                      As always, I tweaked it to my personal preferences:

                      ^!set %theCommand%=^?[Dos command=dir c:\projects\*.*]
                      ^%theCommand%
                      ^$GetDosOutput("^%theCommand%")$

                      The extra empty line at the beginning seems to work better for me.
                      and I switched in my preferred default.

                      All of us can always do better than any of us!

                      Bob

                      --
                      Knowledge is NOT enough!
                      Knowledge + Confidence enables Action.

                    • Alec Burgess
                      Message 10 of 20 , Sep 7, 2008
                        cc: to NTO
                        Axel Berger (Axel-Berger@...) wrote (in part) (on 2008-09-05 at
                        03:54):
                        > "Don - HtmlFixIt.com" wrote:
                        > > Is there a way to grab the output?
                        >
                        > Probably a silly question:
                        > Just adding "> file.txt" after the command does not work?
                        >
                        > N.B: For those who have not heard: 4DOS has become freeware!
                        > Looking at the price I always said: "I must get it, but not right
                        > now." Now I have and should have done a long time ago.

                        I went to look for it - afaict the original creator has made it
                        open-source. He appears to have developed something new while someone
                        else has taken over the reins of the original 4DOS. Did you get it from
                        http://4dos.zzl.org/ ?

                        At least for me, the install procedure seemed very confusing ....

                        Anyhow, I finally decided to try PowerShell (free from MSOFT) (works
                        with WinXP and Vista notwithstanding " windowserver" in the link:
                        http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/technologies/management/powershell/default.mspx

                        From links on its site and a little bit of googling I found two
                        different but (I think) related IDEs (Integrated Development Environments):

                        * PowerShellAnalyzer - http://powershell.com/announce/default.aspx#
                        * PowerGUI - http://powergui.org/downloads.jspa

                        PowerShell has bit of a learning curve but both IDEs offer really nice
                        debugging line by line executions, while you're learning.
                        PowerShellAnalyzer has a really neat feature: select some lines and
                        execute them with Ctrl+F7
                        Power GUI has (IMO) better integrated Help.

                        They are both like Sheri's ClipCode Syntax on steroids :-)

                        To bring it back to Notetab (and justify not throwing this directly to
                        NTO) I think (though not yet tested) the same ^$GetDosOutput()$ clipbar
                        we were discussing elsewhere in this thread should work with PowerPro.

                        Sheri - you're into this kind of thing - have you (or anyone else here)
                        used PowerShell?

                      • loro
                        Message 11 of 20 , Sep 7, 2008
                          Alec Burgess wrote:
                          > Did you get it from
                          >http://4dos.zzl.org/ ?
                          >
                          >At least for me, the install procedure seemed very confusing ....

                          The last version is still available from jpsoft site.
                          http://www.jpsoft.com/download.htm

                          Lotta
                          Message 12 of 20 , Sep 7, 2008
                            Alec Burgess wrote:
                            > Did you get it from http://4dos.zzl.org/ ?

                            I believe not. As far as I can remember I'm running the last
                            official verson from the original site, i.e. the one that used to be
                            sold.

                            > At least for me, the install procedure seemed very confusing

                            Yes. It's DOS old-style. If you know your way around in there,
                            replacing the standard COMMAND.COM is nothing special but looking at
                            it from a Windows background it will be.

                            I don't use it that much, but I have often felt the severe limits of
                            the DOS batch command language, making what I wanted to do
                            impossible or forcing a very roundabout way. 4DOS solves most of
                            that at the price, at least for me for the time being, of a lot of
                            concentrated help file reading.