Re: [Clip] capture command prompt output in notetab?

  • Don - HtmlFixIt.com
    Message 1 of 20 , Sep 5, 2008
      First I know nothing about that which I address.

      The exact syntax then is?

      tracert domain.com >c:\file.txt

      are there spaces in it?

      Axel Berger wrote:
      > "Don - HtmlFixIt.com" wrote:
      >> Is there a way to grab the output?
      >
      > Probably a silly question:
      > Just adding "> file.txt" after the command does not work?
      >
      > N.B: For those who have not heard: 4DOS has become freeware!
      > Looking at the price I always said: "I must get it, but not right
      > now." Now I have and should have done a long time ago.
      >
      > Axel

    • Don - HtmlFixIt.com
      Message 2 of 20 , Sep 5, 2008
        Aha, I got it thanks Axel:
        tracert>c:\file.txt domain.com

        that did it

        Thanks again. Google wasn't helping me all that much.

        Don

        Message 3 of 20 , Sep 5, 2008
          "Don - HtmlFixIt.com" wrote:
          > are there spaces in it?

          Not sure whether they're mandatory, but I always place a space
          before and after the ">". I mostly use this redirect for stdout with
          dir and sometimes with some.com /?.

          I just tried tracert berger-odenthal.de > trace.txt
          and tracert berger-odenthal.de > E:\temp\trace.txt

          Both work.

          Message 4 of 20 , Sep 5, 2008
            "Don - HtmlFixIt.com" wrote:
            > tracert>c:\file.txt domain.com
            >
            > that did it

            Funny, it shouldn't. But obviously the command is more tolerant
            about its command syntax than the help leads you to believe. As far
            as I'm aware the redirects should always come last.

            Axel
          • Mike Breiding
            Message 5 of 20 , Sep 5, 2008
              Axel Berger wrote:
              > "Don - HtmlFixIt.com" wrote:
              >
              >> tracert>c:\file.txt domain.com
              >>
              >> that did it

              I tried this a got the output below.
              I need help interpreting it.
              Since this is OT please email me privately or move to NT/OT
              Thanks,
              -mb
              -----
              Tracing route to epicroadtrips.us [64.17.188.146]
              over a maximum of 30 hops:

              1 <1 ms <1 ms <1 ms 192.168.1.1
              2 * * * Request timed out.
              3 9 ms 10 ms 9 ms
              ge-2-19-sr01.morgantown.wv.pitt.comcast.net [68.86.146.145]
              4 11 ms 12 ms 12 ms
              te-3-3-ar01.pittsburgh.pa.pitt.comcast.net [68.86.146.18]
              5 14 ms 16 ms 16 ms
              pos-0-6-0-0-cr01.cleveland.oh.ibone.comcast.net [68.86.85.53]
              6 27 ms 23 ms 24 ms
              pos-0-10-0-0-cr01.chicago.il.ibone.comcast.net [68.86.85.54]
              7 25 ms 84 ms 24 ms xe-10-1-0.edge1.Chicago2.Level3.net
              [4.71.248.17]
              8 24 ms 23 ms 25 ms vlan51.ebr1.Chicago2.Level3.net
              [4.69.138.158]
              9 37 ms 34 ms 36 ms ae-6.ebr1.Chicago1.Level3.net
              [4.69.140.189]
              10 26 ms 26 ms 26 ms ae-14-55.car4.Chicago1.Level3.net
              [4.68.101.136]
              11 24 ms 23 ms 23 ms chp-brdr-02.inet.qwest.net [63.146.26.85]
              12 26 ms 29 ms 26 ms cer-core-02.inet.qwest.net
              [205.171.139.117]
              13 27 ms 26 ms 27 ms 205.171.139.30
              14 33 ms 33 ms 35 ms 63.144.63.214
              15 * * * Request timed out.
              16 33 ms 33 ms 33 ms
              rev.opentransfer.com.146.188.17.64.in-addr.arpa [64.17.188.146]

              Trace complete.
              -----
            • Don - HtmlFixIt.com
              Message 6 of 20 , Sep 5, 2008
                Axel Berger wrote:
                > "Don - HtmlFixIt.com" wrote:
                >> are there spaces in it?
                >
                > Not sure whether they're mandatory, but I always place a space
                > before and after the ">". I mostly use this redirect for stdout with
                > dir and sometimes with some.com /?.
                >
                > I just tried tracert berger-odenthal.de > trace.txt
                > and tracert berger-odenthal.de > E:\temp\trace.txt
                >
                > Both work.
                >
                > Axel

                Works for me as well now in your format. I'm thinking that maybe when I
                specified nothing for directory that it worked and I just don't know
                where it went hence thinking it did nothing ... It of course gives
                nothing back on the command screen, it just pauses and then gives a new
                prompt. Thanks for helping me figure it out.
              • Larry Hamilton
                Message 7 of 20 , Sep 5, 2008
                  Don - HtmlFixIt.com wrote:
                  > Works for me as well now in your format. I'm thinking that maybe when I
                  > specified nothing for directory that it worked and I just don't know
                  > where it went hence thinking it did nothing ... It of course gives
                  > nothing back on the command screen, it just pauses and then gives a new
                  > prompt. Thanks for helping me figure it out.
                  Don,

                  The format:

                  command [options] > filename.txt

                  takes the output of the command and puts it in the text file in the
                  directory from which the command was run.

                  So if you are at the C:\ prompt the file will be at C:\filename.txt.

                  You can specify a full path, and if there are spaces in directories or
                  filenames, enclose in quotes.

                  Using the different operators you can chain commands together. This is
                  common on Unix/Linux.

                  Anymore on this should go to the offtopic list.

                  --
                  Larry Hamilton
                  Kairos Computer Solutions
                  Message 8 of 20 , Sep 5, 2008
                    Larry Hamilton wrote:
                    > Don - HtmlFixIt.com wrote:
                    >
                    >> Works for me as well now in your format. I'm thinking that maybe when I
                    >> specified nothing for directory that it worked and I just don't know
                    >> where it went hence thinking it did nothing ... It of course gives
                    >> nothing back on the command screen, it just pauses and then gives a new
                    >> prompt. Thanks for helping me figure it out.
                    >>
                    > Don,
                    >
                    > The format:
                    >
                    > command [options] > filename.txt
                    >
                    > takes the output of the command and puts it in the text file in the
                    > directory from which the command was run.
                    >
                    > So if you are at the C:\ prompt the file will be at C:\filename.txt.
                    >
                    > You can specify a full path, and if there are spaces in directories or
                    > filenames, enclose in quotes.
                    >
                    > Using the different operators you can chain commands together. This is
                    > common on Unix/Linux.
                    >
                    > Anymore on this should go to the offtopic list.

                    One other way to get the text of a command's output is with copy & paste.

                    In Windows it needs to be in a window. Right-Click the title bar and
                    there are options under Edit to Mark, Paste, and Select All. Use Mark
                    to select just part of the text on the screen and press ENTER to copy to
                    the clipboard.

                    With Paste you can paste in long commands without having to type them.

                    Select All highlights the entire contents of the screen, and again,
                    ENTER copies to the clipboard. I used this feature with NoteTab's
                    PasteBoard to get all the screens of some DOS programs I have the joy of
                    supporting, so I could document them.

                    With Unix/Linux, you can use the mouse to highlight a portion of the CLI
                    window and use CTRL+SHIFT+C to copy and CTRL+SHIFT+V to paste.

                    Message 9 of 20 , Sep 6, 2008
                      Larry Hamilton wrote:
                      I didn't know this
                      >> takes the output of the command and puts it in the text file in the
                      >> directory from which the command was run.

                      I didn't know this either -- my gosh you people are smart.
                      > In Windows it needs to be in a window. Right-Click the title bar and
                      > there are options under Edit to Mark, Paste, and Select All. Use Mark
                      > to select just part of the text on the screen and press ENTER to copy to
                      > the clipboard.

                      I did know about f4 and f5, so that helped so that I didn't have to
                      fully retype my command each time.

                      I realize that this became off topic. Originally I was thinking this
                      could all be done with a clip. In fact I still hope that it may be and
                      thus, I kept the discussion here in hopes that someone would pop in with
                      the answer. I do have what I need for the moment, but I have had to run
                      this several dozen times and then retrieve the files. Oh how nice if I
                      clip could have made it automated, eh?
                    • Don - HtmlFixIt.com
                      Message 10 of 20 , Sep 6, 2008
                        loro wrote:
                        > Don wrote:
                        >> Is there a way to grab the output? I want to do a trace route that is
                        >> pretty long and not have to type the output.
                        >
                        > Why type when you can copy?
                        >
                        >> Can I run the command
                        >> prompt and capture it in notetab with a clip?
                        >
                        > ^$GetDosOutput()$
                        >
                        > Lotta

                        Thanks Lotta, I missed this one.
                        ^$GetDosOutput(tracert domain.com)$
                        Works fine.

                        Now I can spice that up by asking for the domain.name in a wizard.

                        I could also run it on a list of domains from a file etc. That's what I
                        wanted.
                      • Bob Gorman
                        Message 11 of 20 , Sep 6, 2008
                          Don,
                          I find it so handy I put the clip on a button.
                          My version is simply:
                          ^$GetDosOutput("^?[Dos command=dir c:\projects\*.*]")$
                          ***************
                          Since about 90% of my requests are directory searches
                          I initialize it to: dir c:\projects\*.*
                          since this comes up selected, its easy to just hit the DEL button for a
                          clear window.
                          but I often search for *.otl, *.xls, or *.lgo (Logo programs)
                          and add " /s" for subdirectory searching.

                          However there is a wealth of builtin help, accessed with <space>/?
                          Here are some handy and informative commands
                          cmd /? - give the basic command format and all it's options,
                          even, which is often neglected:
                          The special characters that require quotes are:
                          <space>
                          &()[]{}^=;!'+,`~

                          HELP (without the /?) - gives a list of all the builtin commands,
                          then each and be checked out (with the /?)
                          my favorites are:
                          sort /?
                          copy /?

                          Explore & enjoy!
                          Bob

                          --
                          If at first, you don't succeed; Parachuting is probably not for you!
                          http://www.KnCell.org
                          Message 12 of 20 , Sep 6, 2008
                            "Don - HtmlFixIt.com" wrote:
                            > In fact I still hope that it may be and thus, I kept the
                            > discussion here in hopes that someone would pop in with
                            > the answer.

                            Will a quick half-answer suffice? You can call the program in a clip
                            with > temp.txt and then open that file right after. I don't know
                            how to wait for the reappearance of the cursor in a clip, but a
                            solution would be to place the command in a batch ending it with
                            PAUSE.

                            Axel
                          • Alec Burgess
                            Message 13 of 20 , Sep 6, 2008
                              Bob Gorman (bgorman@...) wrote (in part) (on 2008-09-06 at
                              09:29):
                              > I find it so handy I put the clip on a button.
                              > My version is simply:
                              > ^$GetDosOutput("^?[Dos command=dir c:\projects\*.*]")$

                              Great tip ... be careful not to run the clip while you have this clip or
                              another open.
                              Unlike attempting to run a clip from the clipbook, output from a clip
                              executed from clipbar will happily overwrite the contents of the clip
                              ... he said, having trashed his first attempt. :-[

                              I changed it to:
                              H=GetDOSOutput
                              ^!set %theCommand%=^?[Dos command=dir D:\Temp\*.*]
                              ^%theCommand%
                              ^$GetDosOutput("^%theCommand%")$

                              so that the command actually used is printed at the top and can be
                              copied and used as a basis for the next command if desired.

                            • Bob Gorman
                              Message 14 of 20 , Sep 6, 2008
                                Alec Burgess wrote:

                                > Bob Gorman (bgorman@...) wrote (in part) (on 2008-09-06 at
                                > 09:29):
                                > > I find it so handy I put the clip on a button.
                                > > My version is simply:
                                > > ^$GetDosOutput("^?[Dos command=dir c:\projects\*.*]")$
                                >
                                > Great tip ... be careful not to run the clip while you have this clip or
                                > another open.

                                That explains some 'anomalies' I've encountered.

                                > Unlike attempting to run a clip from the clipbook, output from a clip
                                > executed from clipbar will happily overwrite the contents of the clip
                                > ... he said, having trashed his first attempt. :-[
                                >
                                > I changed it to:
                                > H=GetDOSOutput
                                > ^!set %theCommand%=^?[Dos command=dir D:\Temp\*.*]
                                > ^%theCommand%
                                > ^$GetDosOutput("^%theCommand%")$
                                >
                                > so that the command actually used is printed at the top
                                and can be copied and used as a basis for the next command if desired.

                                Thank you, I like that. Especially while testing
                                I definitely wanted the command itself to be printed out at the top.

                                As always, I tweaked it to my personal preferences:

                                ^!set %theCommand%=^?[Dos command=dir c:\projects\*.*]
                                ^%theCommand%
                                ^$GetDosOutput("^%theCommand%")$

                                The extra empty line at the beginning seems to work better for me.
                                and I switched in my preferred default.

                                All of us can always do better than any of us!

                                Bob

                                --
                                Knowledge is NOT enough!
                                Knowledge + Confidence enables Action.

                              • Alec Burgess
                                Message 15 of 20 , Sep 7, 2008
                                  cc: to NTO
                                  Axel Berger (Axel-Berger@...) wrote (in part) (on 2008-09-05 at
                                  03:54):
                                  > "Don - HtmlFixIt.com" wrote:
                                  > > Is there a way to grab the output?
                                  >
                                  > Probably a silly question:
                                  > Just adding "> file.txt" after the command does not work?
                                  >
                                  > N.B: For those who have not heard: 4DOS has become freeware!
                                  > Looking at the price I always said: "I must get it, but not right
                                  > now." Now I have and should have done a long time ago.

                                  I went to look for it - afaict the original creator has made it
                                  open-source. He appears to have developed something new while someone
                                  else has taken over the reins of the original 4DOS. Did you get it from
                                  http://4dos.zzl.org/ ?

                                  At least for me, the install procedure seemed very confusing ....

                                  Anyhow, I finally decided to try PowerShell (free from MSOFT) (works
                                  with WinXP and Vista notwithstanding " windowserver" in the link:
                                  http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/technologies/management/powershell/default.mspx

                                  From links on its site and a little bit of googling I found two
                                  different but (I think) related IDEs (Integrated Development Environments):

                                  * PowerShellAnalyzer - http://powershell.com/announce/default.aspx#
                                  * PowerGUI - http://powergui.org/downloads.jspa

                                  PowerShell has bit of a learning curve but both IDEs offer really nice
                                  debugging line by line executions, while you're learning.
                                  PowerShellAnalyzer has a really neat feature: select some lines and
                                  execute them with Ctrl+F7
                                  Power GUI has (IMO) better integrated Help.

                                  They are both like Sheri's ClipCode Syntax on steroids :-)

                                  To bring it back to Notetab (and justify not throwing this directly to
                                  NTO) I think (though not yet tested) the same ^$GetDosOutput()$ clipbar
                                  we were discussing elsewhere in this thread should work with PowerPro.

                                  Sheri - you're into this kind of thing - have you (or anyone else here)
                                  used PowerShell?

                                • loro
                                  Message 16 of 20 , Sep 7, 2008
                                    Alec Burgess wrote:
                                    > Did you get it from
                                    >http://4dos.zzl.org/ ?
                                    >
                                    >At least for me, the install procedure seemed very confusing ....

                                    The last version is still available from jpsoft site.
                                    http://www.jpsoft.com/download.htm

                                    Lotta
                                    Message 17 of 20 , Sep 7, 2008
                                      Alec Burgess wrote:
                                      > Did you get it from http://4dos.zzl.org/ ?

                                      I believe not. As far as I can remember I'm running the last
                                      official verson from the original site, i.e. the one that used to be
                                      sold.

                                      > At least for me, the install procedure seemed very confusing

                                      Yes. It's DOS old-style. If you know your way around in there,
                                      replacing the standard COMMAND.COM is nothing special but looking at
                                      it from a Windows background it will be.

                                      I don't use it that much, but I have often felt the severe limits of
                                      the DOS batch command language, making what I wanted to do
                                      impossible or forcing a very roundabout way. 4DOS solves most of
                                      that at the price, at least for me for the time being, of a lot of
                                      concentrated help file reading.