capture command prompt output in notetab?

  • Don - HtmlFixIt.com
    Message 1 of 20 , Sep 4, 2008
      Is there a way to grab the output? I want to do a trace route that is
      pretty long and not have to type the output. Can I run the command
      prompt and capture it in notetab with a clip?
    • loro
      Message 2 of 20 , Sep 4, 2008
        Don wrote:
        >Is there a way to grab the output? I want to do a trace route that is
        >pretty long and not have to type the output.

        Why type when you can copy?

        > Can I run the command
        >prompt and capture it in notetab with a clip?

        ^$GetDosOutput()$

        Lotta
        Message 3 of 20 , Sep 5, 2008
          "Don - HtmlFixIt.com" wrote:
          > Is there a way to grab the output?

          Probably a silly question:
          Just adding "> file.txt" after the command does not work?

          N.B: For those who have not heard: 4DOS has become freeware!
          Looking at the price I always said: "I must get it, but not right
          now." Now I have and should have done a long time ago.

          Axel
        • Don - HtmlFixIt.com
          Message 4 of 20 , Sep 5, 2008
            First I know nothing about that which I address.

            The exact syntax then is?

            tracert domain.com >c:\file.txt

            are there spaces in it?

            Axel Berger wrote:
            > "Don - HtmlFixIt.com" wrote:
            >> Is there a way to grab the output?
            >
            > Probably a silly question:
            > Just adding "> file.txt" after the command does not work?
            >
            > N.B: For those who have not heard: 4DOS has become freeware!
            > Looking at the price I always said: "I must get it, but not right
            > now." Now I have and should have done a long time ago.
            >
            > Axel

          • Don - HtmlFixIt.com
            Message 5 of 20 , Sep 5, 2008
              Aha, I got it thanks Axel:
              tracert>c:\file.txt domain.com

              that did it

              Thanks again. Google wasn't helping me all that much.

              Don

              Message 6 of 20 , Sep 5, 2008
                "Don - HtmlFixIt.com" wrote:
                > are there spaces in it?

                Not sure whether they're mandatory, but I always place a space
                before and after the ">". I mostly use this redirect for stdout with
                dir and sometimes with some.com /?.

                I just tried tracert berger-odenthal.de > trace.txt
                and tracert berger-odenthal.de > E:\temp\trace.txt

                Both work.

                Message 7 of 20 , Sep 5, 2008
                  "Don - HtmlFixIt.com" wrote:
                  > tracert>c:\file.txt domain.com
                  >
                  > that did it

                  Funny, it shouldn't. But obviously the command is more tolerant
                  about its command syntax than the help leads you to believe. As far
                  as I'm aware the redirects should always come last.

                  Axel
                • Mike Breiding
                  Message 8 of 20 , Sep 5, 2008
                    Axel Berger wrote:
                    > "Don - HtmlFixIt.com" wrote:
                    >
                    >> tracert>c:\file.txt domain.com
                    >>
                    >> that did it

                    I tried this a got the output below.
                    I need help interpreting it.
                    Since this is OT please email me privately or move to NT/OT
                    Thanks,
                    -mb
                    -----
                    Tracing route to epicroadtrips.us [64.17.188.146]
                    over a maximum of 30 hops:

                    1 <1 ms <1 ms <1 ms 192.168.1.1
                    2 * * * Request timed out.
                    3 9 ms 10 ms 9 ms
                    ge-2-19-sr01.morgantown.wv.pitt.comcast.net [68.86.146.145]
                    4 11 ms 12 ms 12 ms
                    te-3-3-ar01.pittsburgh.pa.pitt.comcast.net [68.86.146.18]
                    5 14 ms 16 ms 16 ms
                    pos-0-6-0-0-cr01.cleveland.oh.ibone.comcast.net [68.86.85.53]
                    6 27 ms 23 ms 24 ms
                    pos-0-10-0-0-cr01.chicago.il.ibone.comcast.net [68.86.85.54]
                    7 25 ms 84 ms 24 ms xe-10-1-0.edge1.Chicago2.Level3.net
                    [4.71.248.17]
                    8 24 ms 23 ms 25 ms vlan51.ebr1.Chicago2.Level3.net
                    [4.69.138.158]
                    9 37 ms 34 ms 36 ms ae-6.ebr1.Chicago1.Level3.net
                    [4.69.140.189]
                    10 26 ms 26 ms 26 ms ae-14-55.car4.Chicago1.Level3.net
                    [4.68.101.136]
                    11 24 ms 23 ms 23 ms chp-brdr-02.inet.qwest.net [63.146.26.85]
                    12 26 ms 29 ms 26 ms cer-core-02.inet.qwest.net
                    [205.171.139.117]
                    13 27 ms 26 ms 27 ms 205.171.139.30
                    14 33 ms 33 ms 35 ms 63.144.63.214
                    15 * * * Request timed out.
                    16 33 ms 33 ms 33 ms
                    rev.opentransfer.com.146.188.17.64.in-addr.arpa [64.17.188.146]

                    Trace complete.
                    -----
                  • Don - HtmlFixIt.com
                    Message 9 of 20 , Sep 5, 2008
                      Axel Berger wrote:
                      > "Don - HtmlFixIt.com" wrote:
                      >> are there spaces in it?
                      >
                      > Not sure whether they're mandatory, but I always place a space
                      > before and after the ">". I mostly use this redirect for stdout with
                      > dir and sometimes with some.com /?.
                      >
                      > I just tried tracert berger-odenthal.de > trace.txt
                      > and tracert berger-odenthal.de > E:\temp\trace.txt
                      >
                      > Both work.
                      >
                      > Axel

                      Works for me as well now in your format. I'm thinking that maybe when I
                      specified nothing for directory that it worked and I just don't know
                      where it went hence thinking it did nothing ... It of course gives
                      nothing back on the command screen, it just pauses and then gives a new
                      prompt. Thanks for helping me figure it out.
                    • Larry Hamilton
                      Message 10 of 20 , Sep 5, 2008
                        Don - HtmlFixIt.com wrote:
                        > Works for me as well now in your format. I'm thinking that maybe when I
                        > specified nothing for directory that it worked and I just don't know
                        > where it went hence thinking it did nothing ... It of course gives
                        > nothing back on the command screen, it just pauses and then gives a new
                        > prompt. Thanks for helping me figure it out.
                        Don,

                        The format:

                        command [options] > filename.txt

                        takes the output of the command and puts it in the text file in the
                        directory from which the command was run.

                        So if you are at the C:\ prompt the file will be at C:\filename.txt.

                        You can specify a full path, and if there are spaces in directories or
                        filenames, enclose in quotes.

                        Using the different operators you can chain commands together. This is
                        common on Unix/Linux.

                        Anymore on this should go to the offtopic list.

                        --
                        Larry Hamilton
                        Kairos Computer Solutions
                        Message 11 of 20 , Sep 5, 2008
                          Larry Hamilton wrote:
                          > Don - HtmlFixIt.com wrote:
                          >
                          >> Works for me as well now in your format. I'm thinking that maybe when I
                          >> specified nothing for directory that it worked and I just don't know
                          >> where it went hence thinking it did nothing ... It of course gives
                          >> nothing back on the command screen, it just pauses and then gives a new
                          >> prompt. Thanks for helping me figure it out.
                          >>
                          > Don,
                          >
                          > The format:
                          >
                          > command [options] > filename.txt
                          >
                          > takes the output of the command and puts it in the text file in the
                          > directory from which the command was run.
                          >
                          > So if you are at the C:\ prompt the file will be at C:\filename.txt.
                          >
                          > You can specify a full path, and if there are spaces in directories or
                          > filenames, enclose in quotes.
                          >
                          > Using the different operators you can chain commands together. This is
                          > common on Unix/Linux.
                          >
                          > Anymore on this should go to the offtopic list.

                          One other way to get the text of a command's output is with copy & paste.

                          In Windows it needs to be in a window. Right-Click the title bar and
                          there are options under Edit to Mark, Paste, and Select All. Use Mark
                          to select just part of the text on the screen and press ENTER to copy to
                          the clipboard.

                          With Paste you can paste in long commands without having to type them.

                          Select All highlights the entire contents of the screen, and again,
                          ENTER copies to the clipboard. I used this feature with NoteTab's
                          PasteBoard to get all the screens of some DOS programs I have the joy of
                          supporting, so I could document them.

                          With Unix/Linux, you can use the mouse to highlight a portion of the CLI
                          window and use CTRL+SHIFT+C to copy and CTRL+SHIFT+V to paste.

                          Message 12 of 20 , Sep 6, 2008
                            Larry Hamilton wrote:
                            I didn't know this
                            >> takes the output of the command and puts it in the text file in the
                            >> directory from which the command was run.

                            I didn't know this either -- my gosh you people are smart.
                            > In Windows it needs to be in a window. Right-Click the title bar and
                            > there are options under Edit to Mark, Paste, and Select All. Use Mark
                            > to select just part of the text on the screen and press ENTER to copy to
                            > the clipboard.

                            I did know about f4 and f5, so that helped so that I didn't have to
                            fully retype my command each time.

                            I realize that this became off topic. Originally I was thinking this
                            could all be done with a clip. In fact I still hope that it may be and
                            thus, I kept the discussion here in hopes that someone would pop in with
                            the answer. I do have what I need for the moment, but I have had to run
                            this several dozen times and then retrieve the files. Oh how nice if I
                            clip could have made it automated, eh?
                          • Don - HtmlFixIt.com
                            Message 13 of 20 , Sep 6, 2008
                              loro wrote:
                              > Don wrote:
                              >> Is there a way to grab the output? I want to do a trace route that is
                              >> pretty long and not have to type the output.
                              >
                              > Why type when you can copy?
                              >
                              >> Can I run the command
                              >> prompt and capture it in notetab with a clip?
                              >
                              > ^$GetDosOutput()$
                              >
                              > Lotta

                              Thanks Lotta, I missed this one.
                              ^$GetDosOutput(tracert domain.com)$
                              Works fine.

                              Now I can spice that up by asking for the domain.name in a wizard.

                              I could also run it on a list of domains from a file etc. That's what I
                              wanted.
                            • Bob Gorman
                              Message 14 of 20 , Sep 6, 2008
                                Don,
                                I find it so handy I put the clip on a button.
                                My version is simply:
                                ^$GetDosOutput("^?[Dos command=dir c:\projects\*.*]")$
                                ***************
                                Since about 90% of my requests are directory searches
                                I initialize it to: dir c:\projects\*.*
                                since this comes up selected, its easy to just hit the DEL button for a
                                clear window.
                                but I often search for *.otl, *.xls, or *.lgo (Logo programs)
                                and add " /s" for subdirectory searching.

                                However there is a wealth of builtin help, accessed with <space>/?
                                Here are some handy and informative commands
                                cmd /? - give the basic command format and all it's options,
                                even, which is often neglected:
                                The special characters that require quotes are:
                                <space>
                                &()[]{}^=;!'+,`~

                                HELP (without the /?) - gives a list of all the builtin commands,
                                then each and be checked out (with the /?)
                                my favorites are:
                                sort /?
                                copy /?

                                Explore & enjoy!
                                Bob

                                --
                                If at first, you don't succeed; Parachuting is probably not for you!
                                http://www.KnCell.org
                                Message 15 of 20 , Sep 6, 2008
                                  "Don - HtmlFixIt.com" wrote:
                                  > In fact I still hope that it may be and thus, I kept the
                                  > discussion here in hopes that someone would pop in with
                                  > the answer.

                                  Will a quick half-answer suffice? You can call the program in a clip
                                  with > temp.txt and then open that file right after. I don't know
                                  how to wait for the reappearance of the cursor in a clip, but a
                                  solution would be to place the command in a batch ending it with
                                  PAUSE.

                                  Axel
                                • Alec Burgess
                                  Message 16 of 20 , Sep 6, 2008
                                    Bob Gorman (bgorman@...) wrote (in part) (on 2008-09-06 at
                                    09:29):
                                    > I find it so handy I put the clip on a button.
                                    > My version is simply:
                                    > ^$GetDosOutput("^?[Dos command=dir c:\projects\*.*]")$

                                    Great tip ... be careful not to run the clip while you have this clip or
                                    another open.
                                    Unlike attempting to run a clip from the clipbook, output from a clip
                                    executed from clipbar will happily overwrite the contents of the clip
                                    ... he said, having trashed his first attempt. :-[

                                    I changed it to:
                                    H=GetDOSOutput
                                    ^!set %theCommand%=^?[Dos command=dir D:\Temp\*.*]
                                    ^%theCommand%
                                    ^$GetDosOutput("^%theCommand%")$

                                    so that the command actually used is printed at the top and can be
                                    copied and used as a basis for the next command if desired.

                                  • Bob Gorman
                                    Message 17 of 20 , Sep 6, 2008
                                      Alec Burgess wrote:

                                      > Bob Gorman (bgorman@...) wrote (in part) (on 2008-09-06 at
                                      > 09:29):
                                      > > I find it so handy I put the clip on a button.
                                      > > My version is simply:
                                      > > ^$GetDosOutput("^?[Dos command=dir c:\projects\*.*]")$
                                      >
                                      > Great tip ... be careful not to run the clip while you have this clip or
                                      > another open.

                                      That explains some 'anomalies' I've encountered.

                                      > Unlike attempting to run a clip from the clipbook, output from a clip
                                      > executed from clipbar will happily overwrite the contents of the clip
                                      > ... he said, having trashed his first attempt. :-[
                                      >
                                      > I changed it to:
                                      > H=GetDOSOutput
                                      > ^!set %theCommand%=^?[Dos command=dir D:\Temp\*.*]
                                      > ^%theCommand%
                                      > ^$GetDosOutput("^%theCommand%")$
                                      >
                                      > so that the command actually used is printed at the top
                                      and can be copied and used as a basis for the next command if desired.

                                      Thank you, I like that. Especially while testing
                                      I definitely wanted the command itself to be printed out at the top.

                                      As always, I tweaked it to my personal preferences:

                                      ^!set %theCommand%=^?[Dos command=dir c:\projects\*.*]
                                      ^%theCommand%
                                      ^$GetDosOutput("^%theCommand%")$

                                      The extra empty line at the beginning seems to work better for me.
                                      and I switched in my preferred default.

                                      All of us can always do better than any of us!

                                      Bob

                                      --
                                      Knowledge is NOT enough!
                                      Knowledge + Confidence enables Action.

                                    • Alec Burgess
                                      Message 18 of 20 , Sep 7, 2008
                                        cc: to NTO
                                        Axel Berger (Axel-Berger@...) wrote (in part) (on 2008-09-05 at
                                        03:54):
                                        > "Don - HtmlFixIt.com" wrote:
                                        > > Is there a way to grab the output?
                                        >
                                        > Probably a silly question:
                                        > Just adding "> file.txt" after the command does not work?
                                        >
                                        > N.B: For those who have not heard: 4DOS has become freeware!
                                        > Looking at the price I always said: "I must get it, but not right
                                        > now." Now I have and should have done a long time ago.

                                        I went to look for it - afaict the original creator has made it
                                        open-source. He appears to have developed something new while someone
                                        else has taken over the reins of the original 4DOS. Did you get it from
                                        http://4dos.zzl.org/ ?

                                        At least for me, the install procedure seemed very confusing ....

                                        Anyhow, I finally decided to try PowerShell (free from MSOFT) (works
                                        with WinXP and Vista notwithstanding " windowserver" in the link:
                                        http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/technologies/management/powershell/default.mspx

                                        From links on its site and a little bit of googling I found two
                                        different but (I think) related IDEs (Integrated Development Environments):

                                        * PowerShellAnalyzer - http://powershell.com/announce/default.aspx#
                                        * PowerGUI - http://powergui.org/downloads.jspa

                                        PowerShell has bit of a learning curve but both IDEs offer really nice
                                        debugging line by line executions, while you're learning.
                                        PowerShellAnalyzer has a really neat feature: select some lines and
                                        execute them with Ctrl+F7
                                        Power GUI has (IMO) better integrated Help.

                                        They are both like Sheri's ClipCode Syntax on steroids :-)

                                        To bring it back to Notetab (and justify not throwing this directly to
                                        NTO) I think (though not yet tested) the same ^$GetDosOutput()$ clipbar
                                        we were discussing elsewhere in this thread should work with PowerPro.

                                        Sheri - you're into this kind of thing - have you (or anyone else here)
                                        used PowerShell?

                                      • loro
                                        Message 19 of 20 , Sep 7, 2008
                                          Alec Burgess wrote:
                                          > Did you get it from
                                          >http://4dos.zzl.org/ ?
                                          >
                                          >At least for me, the install procedure seemed very confusing ....

                                          The last version is still available from jpsoft site.
                                          http://www.jpsoft.com/download.htm

                                          Lotta
                                          Message 20 of 20 , Sep 7, 2008
                                            Alec Burgess wrote:
                                            > Did you get it from http://4dos.zzl.org/ ?

                                            I believe not. As far as I can remember I'm running the last
                                            official verson from the original site, i.e. the one that used to be
                                            sold.

                                            > At least for me, the install procedure seemed very confusing

                                            Yes. It's DOS old-style. If you know your way around in there,
                                            replacing the standard COMMAND.COM is nothing special but looking at
                                            it from a Windows background it will be.

                                            I don't use it that much, but I have often felt the severe limits of
                                            the DOS batch command language, making what I wanted to do
                                            impossible or forcing a very roundabout way. 4DOS solves most of
                                            that at the price, at least for me for the time being, of a lot of
                                            concentrated help file reading.