Mixed threads in ntp-clilps group

  • ebbtidalflats
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 7 1:05 PM
      Hi List Coordinator,

      something is happening with Yahoo's list management.

      When I open a post in this group, I get a list posts
      supposedly in the same thread, but I see multiple
      topics in the headers.

      I suspect the same thing happens in all groups, but perhaps not.

      For example:

      When I opened a post about "Delete whole sections of info from html
      files."
      I got a list of 22 posts in the thread, but most had different topics.

      Included were these topics:

      Re: ^!Delay question
      Re: AutoCorrect clips => any way to automate large numbers of entrie
      Re: Delete whole sections of info from html files.
      Re: Extract information using Find, Copy & Paste

      This makes it very difficult to see what responses have already been
      made, and if one's contribution might be useful or not.

      I use Mozilla browser, and view the posts online.

      Cheers

      Eb
    • ebbtidalflats
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 7 1:08 PM
        --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, "ebbtidalflats" <ebbtidalflats@...>
        wrote:

        > I suspect the same thing happens in all groups, but perhaps not.

        As much as I hate to answer myself, this phenomenon is NOT visible in
        the other groups I'm subscribed to.

        I see it only in ntp-clips

        Eb
      • Alex Plantema
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 8 12:34 AM
          Op donderdag 7 augustus 2008 22:05 schreef ebbtidalflats:

          > When I open a post in this group, I get a list posts
          > supposedly in the same thread, but I see multiple
          > topics in the headers.
          > This makes it very difficult to see what responses have already been
          > made, and if one's contribution might be useful or not.
          >
          > Has anyone else experienced this problem?

          Messages are not grouped by subject, but by references in their headers to previous messages.
          A reply will have a reference to the message that it was a response to.

          What you detected happens when people start a new subject by replying to some message and replacing the subject.
          Then the message, and all its replies, will have a references to the old thread.

          Alex.
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 8 12:41 AM
            Alex Plantema wrote:
            > What you detected happens when people start a new subject by
            > replying to some message and replacing the subject.
            > Then the message, and all its replies, will have a references
            > to the old thread.

            Quite, that's one possibility. And whole this is wrong and
            undesirable there is another: It often happens that the topic
            wanders in an ongoing thread. In that case you ought to reflect it
            in the subject while keeping to the same thread.

            Axel
          • ebbtidalflats
            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 8 1:44 PM
              Hi Alex,

              I'm not sure we're talking about the same thing. As in this thread,
              the SUBJECT header refers to

              "Re: [Clip] Mixed threads in ntp-clilps group"

              which is the topic displayed in the subject.

              This is independent of the content of the message (which is aparently
              what you are talking about.

              Yesterday my screen displayed THREE DIFFERENT threads (subject
              headers) in the list below the post I was reading.

              Perhaps the problem has been corrected, as I don't see it now.

              But thanks for your reply.

              Eb

              --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, "Alex Plantema" <alex.plantema@...>