Re: ^!Find Command - Reverse Regular Expression Search

  • Sheri
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 5, 2008
      --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, "ebbtidalflats" <ebbtidalflats@...>
      wrote:

      > Hi Sheri, Eric,
      >
      > While I'm no expert in regular expressions, I do manage to use them
      > successfully (partly with Sheri's help) for some time.
      >
      > It had never occurred to me, that REGEXP doesn't search backwards.
      > In any case, the help for ^!Find does not make it clear, which option
      > switches apply to RegExp searching, and which don't.
      >
      > If the help has been changed in this regard since NTP 5.70 disregard
      > my post.
      >

      > Regards,
      >

      > Eb
      >

      > --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, "Sheri" <silvermoonwoman@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Regex searching is strictly forward. The B and T options are not
      > > applicable to regex.

      Also not applicable to C option.

      While the option help should be improved, I did find in Main Help this
      concerning the direction of searching and regular expressions:

      "The Find expression finds a string of text that starts at the
      leftmost position in the input line that matches, and continues to the
      rightmost position that matches."

    • John Shotsky
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 5, 2008
        Dan,

        If you have an example of text that you'd be searching, and the look behind item you'd be searching for, there are
        possibly ways to do what you want without an explicit backwards search. I often need to find something between two
        distinct points - the beginning and end of a given line. It depends on what you are looking to accomplish whether
        certain techniques will work.

        If I see an exact example of what you want to do, I may be able to help.

        John

        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 6, 2008

          > "The Find expression finds a string of text that starts at the
          > leftmost position in the input line that matches, and continues to the
          > rightmost position that matches."

          Thanks for looking that up.

          I'm sure you would agree, that a person confused about RegExp in
          general is highly unlikely to find that particular help, except by
          accident. Besides, you had inside information, didn't you ;=]

          Not that I'm complaining, but the description of regular expressions
          is so overwhelming, that it discourages a first use.

          Cheers,

          Eb
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 7, 2008
            ebbtidalflats wrote:
            > but the description of regular expressions
            > is so overwhelming, that it discourages a first use.

            I fully agree. It took me a long time to find my way around in
            there. But on the other hand I couldn't suggest a way to make it
            better, so at least inside my capabilities the help we have is the
            best one possible.
            It's a very good thing this group here exists -- with all the help I
            have received I can by now give the odd hint myself every now and
            then.