^!Find Command - Reverse Regular Expression Search

  • Dan Gagne
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 5, 2008
      I would like to perform a backward ^!Find using a regular expression,
      but the search engine ignores the backward flag when the regular
      expression flag is included. example

      ^!Find ".sqf" BS

      works fine but doesn't include a regular expression.

      ^!Find "^.{1,30}\.sqf" RBS

      fails to go backward and indeed finds a match in the forward
      direction. Does the regular expression switch disable the reverse
      switch for the ^!Find command?

      any help is appreciated.

      Dan Gagne
    • Sheri
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 5, 2008
        --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, "Dan Gagne" <dgagne@...> wrote:

        > I would like to perform a backward ^!Find using a regular
        > expression, but the search engine ignores the backward flag when
        > the regular expression flag is included. example
        >
        > ^!Find ".sqf" BS
        >
        > works fine but doesn't include a regular expression.
        >
        > ^!Find "^.{1,30}\.sqf" RBS
        >
        > fails to go backward and indeed finds a match in the forward
        > direction. Does the regular expression switch disable the reverse
        > switch for the ^!Find command?
        >
        > any help is appreciated.

        Regex searching is strictly forward. The B and T options are not
        applicable to regex. You can manipulate the cursor position with clip
        commands before doing your ^!Find if that helps.

      • ebbtidalflats
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 5, 2008
          Hi Sheri, Eric,

          While I'm no expert in regular expressions, I do manage to use them
          successfully (partly with Sheri's help) for some time.

          It had never occurred to me, that REGEXP doesn't search backwards.
          In any case, the help for ^!Find does not make it clear, which option
          switches apply to RegExp searching, and which don't.

          If the help has been changed in this regard since NTP 5.70 disregard
          my post.

          Regards,

          Eb

          > Regex searching is strictly forward. The B and T options are not
          > applicable to regex.
        • Sheri
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 5, 2008
            --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, "ebbtidalflats" <ebbtidalflats@...>
            wrote:

            > Hi Sheri, Eric,
            >
            > While I'm no expert in regular expressions, I do manage to use them
            > successfully (partly with Sheri's help) for some time.
            >
            > It had never occurred to me, that REGEXP doesn't search backwards.
            > In any case, the help for ^!Find does not make it clear, which option
            > switches apply to RegExp searching, and which don't.
            >
            > If the help has been changed in this regard since NTP 5.70 disregard
            > my post.
            >

            > Regards,
            >

            > Eb
            >

            > --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, "Sheri" <silvermoonwoman@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Regex searching is strictly forward. The B and T options are not
            > > applicable to regex.

            Also not applicable to C option.

            While the option help should be improved, I did find in Main Help this
            concerning the direction of searching and regular expressions:

            "The Find expression finds a string of text that starts at the
            leftmost position in the input line that matches, and continues to the
            rightmost position that matches."

          • John Shotsky
            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 5, 2008
              Dan,

              If you have an example of text that you'd be searching, and the look behind item you'd be searching for, there are
              possibly ways to do what you want without an explicit backwards search. I often need to find something between two
              distinct points - the beginning and end of a given line. It depends on what you are looking to accomplish whether
              certain techniques will work.

              If I see an exact example of what you want to do, I may be able to help.

              John

              Message 6 of 7 , Aug 6, 2008

                > "The Find expression finds a string of text that starts at the
                > leftmost position in the input line that matches, and continues to the
                > rightmost position that matches."

                Thanks for looking that up.

                I'm sure you would agree, that a person confused about RegExp in
                general is highly unlikely to find that particular help, except by
                accident. Besides, you had inside information, didn't you ;=]

                Not that I'm complaining, but the description of regular expressions
                is so overwhelming, that it discourages a first use.

                Cheers,

                Eb
                Message 7 of 7 , Aug 7, 2008
                  ebbtidalflats wrote:
                  > but the description of regular expressions
                  > is so overwhelming, that it discourages a first use.

                  I fully agree. It took me a long time to find my way around in
                  there. But on the other hand I couldn't suggest a way to make it
                  better, so at least inside my capabilities the help we have is the
                  best one possible.
                  It's a very good thing this group here exists -- with all the help I
                  have received I can by now give the odd hint myself every now and
                  then.