Re: [Clip] String Split

  • Don - HtmlFixIt.com
    Message 1 of 11 , Aug 1 7:05 AM
      Okay, I tested this now on some text.

      If I use FALSE at the end, all lines are hard wrapped/split at 70 or
      less and there is a trailing space on the line ... if it is wrapped.
      FALSE stops it from removing the trailing space that caused the split,
      in other words.

      Lines that end short of 70 do not have a space inserted after them
      because they were the natural ends and aren't wrapped by the function.

      If I use TRUE at the end of the function, then all lines are hard
      wrapped at 70 or less, but there is no trailing space. This makes it
      remove the delimiting space at the end of each line as it wraps.

      It seems to work as I would expect.

      Test Block:
      ^$StrEncrypt("Text";[Key])$ (added in v4.84)

      Provides stronger text encryption than ROT13. Use the optional "Key"
      parameter to define an encryption password (maximum 255 characters and
      case sensitive). Make sure you don't forget the key you used with this
      function, otherwise you may never be able to retrieve your encrypted
      text. Note that although the encryption algorithm is very good, there is
      no guarantee that it can't be cracked. You should not rely on it to
      protect very sensitive data. Example:

      ^$StrEncrypt("^$GetSelection$";"^?[key=My secret password]")$

      ^$StrFill("Str";Amount)$

      Returns a string entirely composed of the defined character or text
      repeated Amount times. Examples:

      ^$StrFill(+;4)$ -> ++++

      ^$StrFill("<>";4)$ -> <><><><>

      ^$StrFixLines("Str")$ (added in v4.51)

      Corrects carriage returns in text criteria (Unix and Mac-formatted text
      is converted to Dos/Windows format).

      ^$StrFormat("Str";LeftMargin;TextWidth;Justify)$

      Returns the "Str" string in specified format. LeftMargin determines the
      number of blank spaces to insert between the left margin and the text;
      TextWidth defines the maximum width of the text in each line; Justify is
      either True or False and determines if the text is left and right
      justified. Prior to version 4.8, this command was only available in the
      commercial and trial versions of NoteTab.

      With FALSE (set to 20 instead of 70 to make it easier and avoid wrap in
      email and replacing spaces with # to make it easier to see):
      ^$StrEncrypt("Text"
      ;[Key])$#(added#in#
      v4.84)

      Provides#stronger#
      text#encryption#than#
      ROT13.#Use#the#
      optional#"Key"#
      parameter#to#define#
      an#encryption#
      password#(maximum#
      255#characters#and#
      case#sensitive).#
      Make#sure#you#don't#
      forget#the#key#you#
      used#with#this#
      function,#otherwise#
      you#may#never#be#
      able#to#retrieve#
      your#encrypted#text.#
      Note#that#although#
      the#encryption#
      algorithm#is#very#
      good,#there#is#no#
      guarantee#that#it#
      can't#be#cracked.#
      You#should#not#rely#
      on#it#to#protect#
      very#sensitive#data.#
      Example:

      ##
      ^$StrEncrypt("
      ^$GetSelection$";"^
      ?[key=My#secret#
      password]")$

      #

      ^$StrFill("Str"
      ;Amount)$

      Returns#a#string#
      entirely#composed#of#
      the#defined#
      character#or#text#
      repeated#Amount#
      times.#Examples:

      ^$StrFill(+;4)$##->##
      ++++

      ^$StrFill("<>";4)$##
      ->##<><><><>

      #

      ^$StrFixLines("Str"
      )$#(added#in#v4.51)

      Corrects#carriage#
      returns#in#text#
      criteria#(Unix#and#
      Mac-formatted#text#
      is#converted#to#
      Dos/Windows#format).

      #

      ^$StrFormat("Str"
      ;LeftMargin
      ;TextWidth;Justify)$

      Returns#the#"Str"#
      string#in#specified#
      format.#LeftMargin#
      determines#the#
      number#of#blank#
      spaces#to#insert#
      between#the#left#
      margin#and#the#text;#
      TextWidth#defines#
      the#maximum#width#of#
      the#text#in#each#
      line;#Justify#is#
      either#True#or#False#
      and#determines#if#
      the#text#is#left#and#
      right#justified.#
      Prior#to#version#
      4.8,#this#command#
      was#only#available#
      in#the#commercial#
      and#trial#versions#
      of#NoteTab.

      #

      So there is a space LEFT at the end of each line where the line was
      split if you do it with FALSE. There is not a line inserted if the
      remaining piece of the line does not need to be split or if the line was
      less than the character length to begin with.

      And with it set to TRUE you get no trailing space because it is removed
      as part of the wrapping:
      ^$StrEncrypt("Text"
      ;[Key])$#(added#in
      v4.84)

      Provides#stronger
      text#encryption#than
      ROT13.#Use#the
      optional#"Key"
      parameter#to#define
      an#encryption
      password#(maximum
      255#characters#and
      case#sensitive).
      Make#sure#you#don't
      forget#the#key#you
      used#with#this
      function,#otherwise
      you#may#never#be
      able#to#retrieve
      your#encrypted#text.
      Note#that#although
      the#encryption
      algorithm#is#very
      good,#there#is#no
      guarantee#that#it
      can't#be#cracked.
      You#should#not#rely
      on#it#to#protect
      very#sensitive#data.
      Example:

      ^$StrEncrypt("
      ^$GetSelection$";"^
      ?[key=My#secret
      password]")$

      #

      ^$StrFill("Str"
      ;Amount)$

      Returns#a#string
      entirely#composed#of
      the#defined
      character#or#text
      repeated#Amount
      times.#Examples:

      ^$StrFill(+;4)$##->#
      ++++

      ^$StrFill("<>";4)$
      ->##<><><><>

      #

      ^$StrFixLines("Str"
      )$#(added#in#v4.51)

      Corrects#carriage
      returns#in#text
      criteria#(Unix#and
      Mac-formatted#text
      is#converted#to
      Dos/Windows#format).

      #

      ^$StrFormat("Str"
      ;LeftMargin
      ;TextWidth;Justify)$

      Returns#the#"Str"
      string#in#specified
      format.#LeftMargin
      determines#the
      number#of#blank
      spaces#to#insert
      between#the#left
      margin#and#the#text;
      TextWidth#defines
      the#maximum#width#of
      the#text#in#each
      line;#Justify#is
      either#True#or#False
      and#determines#if
      the#text#is#left#and
      right#justified.
      Prior#to#version
      4.8,#this#command
      was#only#available
      in#the#commercial
      and#trial#versions
      of#NoteTab.

      #

      Note that there are no trailing spaces on lines after the split.
    • John Shotsky
      Message 2 of 11 , Aug 1 7:09 AM
        Don,

        You have correctly interpreted the regex. I thought the lines were already split, and the goal was just to add the space
        at the end.

        At this point, it would be helpful to see a snippet of source with a clear explanation of what is needed. Regex can
        probably do everything in one command.

        \R means any line terminator, even a combination of CRLF. I use that in the find side, and use \n or ^%NL% in the
        replace side.

        You are right about the spaces - it would need to be \s* to capture zero or multiple spaces. I wrote it thinking there
        might already be only one space.

        John

        Message 3 of 11 , Aug 1 7:25 AM

          > With the command
          >
          > ^!InsertText ^$StrSplit("^$GetSelection$";70;FALSE)$
          >
          > I had expected every line to end with a space before the return.
          > Isn't that what the FALSE stands for? Not so, no space. What's
          > wrong?
          >
          > Axel

          I'm not sure StrSplit is doing.

          I have View Nonprinting characters enabled.

          If I have a document with:

          abc followed by 70 spaces followed by abc followed by three spaces

          And I highlight that and run the above clip, it keeps all the spaces
          and the two resulting lines both start with abc.

          If I change the FALSE to TRUE, I get exactly the same result.

          If I do the same thing in NTP version 4.95, with TRUE the trailing
          spaces get removed and both lines have just abc on them.

          So it would seem that the function's behavior changed at some point. I
          am currently running NTP 5.7b.

          Message 4 of 11 , Aug 1 7:38 AM
            "Don - HtmlFixIt.com" wrote:
            > Provides#stronger#
            > text#encryption#than#
            > ROT13.#Use#the#
            > optional#"Key"#

            That's what I expected to happen. Doesn't do so here. As it works
            for you, the mistake must be somewhere one my side.

            Danke
            Axel
          • Don - HtmlFixIt.com
            Message 5 of 11 , Aug 1 7:52 AM
              Axel Berger wrote:
              > "Don - HtmlFixIt.com" wrote:
              >> Provides#stronger#
              >> text#encryption#than#
              >> ROT13.#Use#the#
              >> optional#"Key"#
              >
              > That's what I expected to happen. Doesn't do so here. As it works
              > for you, the mistake must be somewhere one my side.
              >
              > Danke
              > Axel

              I am apparently in 5.5. I have 5.7, but need to get it to start when I
              click on notetab. Perhaps the version number does have something to do
              with it.

              I tried Sheri's example and got very odd results. If you have abc[bunch
              of spaces]abc[spaces] it doesn't trim the spaces up to the width with
              true, but does trim them after the width. With False, it doesn't trim
              any spaces, so you are left with lines with spaces going out way past
              the specified width!
              Message 6 of 11 , Aug 5 10:01 AM
                "Don - HtmlFixIt.com" wrote:
                > If I use FALSE at the end, all lines are hard wrapped/split at
                > 70 or less and there is a trailing space on the line ... if it
                > is wrapped. FALSE stops it from removing the trailing space
                > that caused the split, in other words.

                Not quite. I have found my mistake here. I have got into the habit
                of writing a capital "FALSE" which usually works, but not in
                ^$StrSplit. This function requires "False" exactly as in the help
                file, so there's noone to blame but me.