Re: [Clip] String Split

    Message 1 of 11 , Aug 1, 2008
      "Don - HtmlFixIt.com" wrote:
      > This simply means IF there is a space at the end of the line
      > (or spaces) should they be trimmed or not. It does not insert
      > a space for you.

      Well, that space is already there. My selection contains a line of
      several hundred bytes length. What StrSplit does is go to 70 and
      then go backward to the next space and split the line there. (Or
      something very similar, this is how I did it in BASIC many years
      ago.) So my one line becomes many and at every new line-end there
      was a space originally.

      NB: Your suggestion will only add a single space after the last of
      the lines. In my full version I put an extra newline there.

      My text contains blocks pasted into it with very long or very short
      lines. I add empty lines between paragraphs I want to keep as such,
      find those blocks and do:

      ; Remember empty lines
      ^!InsertSelect
      ^$StrReplace("^P^P";"^T^T";"^$GetSelection$";FALSE;FALSE)$
      ; Make paragraphs one line
      ^!InsertSelect ^$StrReplace("^P";" ";"^$GetSelection$";FALSE;FALSE)$
      ; Make remembered markers line ends
      ^!InsertSelect
      ^$StrReplace("^T^T";"^P";"^$GetSelection$";FALSE;FALSE)$
      ; Split long lines to desired length
      ^!InsertText ^$StrSplit("^$GetSelection$";70;FALSE)$^P
      ; Find next instance
      ^!Goto loop

      Obviously the last FALSE means something else than I expect it to.

      Axel
    • Don - HtmlFixIt.com
      Message 2 of 11 , Aug 1, 2008
        Okay, I tested this now on some text.

        If I use FALSE at the end, all lines are hard wrapped/split at 70 or
        less and there is a trailing space on the line ... if it is wrapped.
        FALSE stops it from removing the trailing space that caused the split,
        in other words.

        Lines that end short of 70 do not have a space inserted after them
        because they were the natural ends and aren't wrapped by the function.

        If I use TRUE at the end of the function, then all lines are hard
        wrapped at 70 or less, but there is no trailing space. This makes it
        remove the delimiting space at the end of each line as it wraps.

        It seems to work as I would expect.

        Test Block:
        ^$StrEncrypt("Text";[Key])$ (added in v4.84)

        Provides stronger text encryption than ROT13. Use the optional "Key"
        parameter to define an encryption password (maximum 255 characters and
        case sensitive). Make sure you don't forget the key you used with this
        function, otherwise you may never be able to retrieve your encrypted
        text. Note that although the encryption algorithm is very good, there is
        no guarantee that it can't be cracked. You should not rely on it to
        protect very sensitive data. Example:

        ^$StrEncrypt("^$GetSelection$";"^?[key=My secret password]")$

        ^$StrFill("Str";Amount)$

        Returns a string entirely composed of the defined character or text
        repeated Amount times. Examples:

        ^$StrFill(+;4)$ -> ++++

        ^$StrFill("<>";4)$ -> <><><><>

        ^$StrFixLines("Str")$ (added in v4.51)

        Corrects carriage returns in text criteria (Unix and Mac-formatted text
        is converted to Dos/Windows format).

        ^$StrFormat("Str";LeftMargin;TextWidth;Justify)$

        Returns the "Str" string in specified format. LeftMargin determines the
        number of blank spaces to insert between the left margin and the text;
        TextWidth defines the maximum width of the text in each line; Justify is
        either True or False and determines if the text is left and right
        justified. Prior to version 4.8, this command was only available in the
        commercial and trial versions of NoteTab.

        With FALSE (set to 20 instead of 70 to make it easier and avoid wrap in
        email and replacing spaces with # to make it easier to see):
        ^$StrEncrypt("Text"
        ;[Key])$#(added#in#
        v4.84)

        Provides#stronger#
        text#encryption#than#
        ROT13.#Use#the#
        optional#"Key"#
        parameter#to#define#
        an#encryption#
        password#(maximum#
        255#characters#and#
        case#sensitive).#
        Make#sure#you#don't#
        forget#the#key#you#
        used#with#this#
        function,#otherwise#
        you#may#never#be#
        able#to#retrieve#
        your#encrypted#text.#
        Note#that#although#
        the#encryption#
        algorithm#is#very#
        good,#there#is#no#
        guarantee#that#it#
        can't#be#cracked.#
        You#should#not#rely#
        on#it#to#protect#
        very#sensitive#data.#
        Example:

        ##
        ^$StrEncrypt("
        ^$GetSelection$";"^
        ?[key=My#secret#
        password]")$

        #

        ^$StrFill("Str"
        ;Amount)$

        Returns#a#string#
        entirely#composed#of#
        the#defined#
        character#or#text#
        repeated#Amount#
        times.#Examples:

        ^$StrFill(+;4)$##->##
        ++++

        ^$StrFill("<>";4)$##
        ->##<><><><>

        #

        ^$StrFixLines("Str"
        )$#(added#in#v4.51)

        Corrects#carriage#
        returns#in#text#
        criteria#(Unix#and#
        Mac-formatted#text#
        is#converted#to#
        Dos/Windows#format).

        #

        ^$StrFormat("Str"
        ;LeftMargin
        ;TextWidth;Justify)$

        Returns#the#"Str"#
        string#in#specified#
        format.#LeftMargin#
        determines#the#
        number#of#blank#
        spaces#to#insert#
        between#the#left#
        margin#and#the#text;#
        TextWidth#defines#
        the#maximum#width#of#
        the#text#in#each#
        line;#Justify#is#
        either#True#or#False#
        and#determines#if#
        the#text#is#left#and#
        right#justified.#
        Prior#to#version#
        4.8,#this#command#
        was#only#available#
        in#the#commercial#
        and#trial#versions#
        of#NoteTab.

        #

        So there is a space LEFT at the end of each line where the line was
        split if you do it with FALSE. There is not a line inserted if the
        remaining piece of the line does not need to be split or if the line was
        less than the character length to begin with.

        And with it set to TRUE you get no trailing space because it is removed
        as part of the wrapping:
        ^$StrEncrypt("Text"
        ;[Key])$#(added#in
        v4.84)

        Provides#stronger
        text#encryption#than
        ROT13.#Use#the
        optional#"Key"
        parameter#to#define
        an#encryption
        password#(maximum
        255#characters#and
        case#sensitive).
        Make#sure#you#don't
        forget#the#key#you
        used#with#this
        function,#otherwise
        you#may#never#be
        able#to#retrieve
        your#encrypted#text.
        Note#that#although
        the#encryption
        algorithm#is#very
        good,#there#is#no
        guarantee#that#it
        can't#be#cracked.
        You#should#not#rely
        on#it#to#protect
        very#sensitive#data.
        Example:

        ^$StrEncrypt("
        ^$GetSelection$";"^
        ?[key=My#secret
        password]")$

        #

        ^$StrFill("Str"
        ;Amount)$

        Returns#a#string
        entirely#composed#of
        the#defined
        character#or#text
        repeated#Amount
        times.#Examples:

        ^$StrFill(+;4)$##->#
        ++++

        ^$StrFill("<>";4)$
        ->##<><><><>

        #

        ^$StrFixLines("Str"
        )$#(added#in#v4.51)

        Corrects#carriage
        returns#in#text
        criteria#(Unix#and
        Mac-formatted#text
        is#converted#to
        Dos/Windows#format).

        #

        ^$StrFormat("Str"
        ;LeftMargin
        ;TextWidth;Justify)$

        Returns#the#"Str"
        string#in#specified
        format.#LeftMargin
        determines#the
        number#of#blank
        spaces#to#insert
        between#the#left
        margin#and#the#text;
        TextWidth#defines
        the#maximum#width#of
        the#text#in#each
        line;#Justify#is
        either#True#or#False
        and#determines#if
        the#text#is#left#and
        right#justified.
        Prior#to#version
        4.8,#this#command
        was#only#available
        in#the#commercial
        and#trial#versions
        of#NoteTab.

        #

        Note that there are no trailing spaces on lines after the split.
      • John Shotsky
        Message 3 of 11 , Aug 1, 2008
          Don,

          You have correctly interpreted the regex. I thought the lines were already split, and the goal was just to add the space
          at the end.

          At this point, it would be helpful to see a snippet of source with a clear explanation of what is needed. Regex can
          probably do everything in one command.

          \R means any line terminator, even a combination of CRLF. I use that in the find side, and use \n or ^%NL% in the
          replace side.

          You are right about the spaces - it would need to be \s* to capture zero or multiple spaces. I wrote it thinking there
          might already be only one space.

          John

          Message 4 of 11 , Aug 1, 2008

            > With the command
            >
            > ^!InsertText ^$StrSplit("^$GetSelection$";70;FALSE)$
            >
            > I had expected every line to end with a space before the return.
            > Isn't that what the FALSE stands for? Not so, no space. What's
            > wrong?
            >
            > Axel

            I'm not sure StrSplit is doing.

            I have View Nonprinting characters enabled.

            If I have a document with:

            abc followed by 70 spaces followed by abc followed by three spaces

            And I highlight that and run the above clip, it keeps all the spaces
            and the two resulting lines both start with abc.

            If I change the FALSE to TRUE, I get exactly the same result.

            If I do the same thing in NTP version 4.95, with TRUE the trailing
            spaces get removed and both lines have just abc on them.

            So it would seem that the function's behavior changed at some point. I
            am currently running NTP 5.7b.

            Message 5 of 11 , Aug 1, 2008
              "Don - HtmlFixIt.com" wrote:
              > Provides#stronger#
              > text#encryption#than#
              > ROT13.#Use#the#
              > optional#"Key"#

              That's what I expected to happen. Doesn't do so here. As it works
              for you, the mistake must be somewhere one my side.

              Danke
              Axel
            • Don - HtmlFixIt.com
              Message 6 of 11 , Aug 1, 2008
                Axel Berger wrote:
                > "Don - HtmlFixIt.com" wrote:
                >> Provides#stronger#
                >> text#encryption#than#
                >> ROT13.#Use#the#
                >> optional#"Key"#
                >
                > That's what I expected to happen. Doesn't do so here. As it works
                > for you, the mistake must be somewhere one my side.
                >
                > Danke
                > Axel

                I am apparently in 5.5. I have 5.7, but need to get it to start when I
                click on notetab. Perhaps the version number does have something to do
                with it.

                I tried Sheri's example and got very odd results. If you have abc[bunch
                of spaces]abc[spaces] it doesn't trim the spaces up to the width with
                true, but does trim them after the width. With False, it doesn't trim
                any spaces, so you are left with lines with spaces going out way past
                the specified width!
                Message 7 of 11 , Aug 5, 2008
                  "Don - HtmlFixIt.com" wrote:
                  > If I use FALSE at the end, all lines are hard wrapped/split at
                  > 70 or less and there is a trailing space on the line ... if it
                  > is wrapped. FALSE stops it from removing the trailing space
                  > that caused the split, in other words.

                  Not quite. I have found my mistake here. I have got into the habit
                  of writing a capital "FALSE" which usually works, but not in
                  ^$StrSplit. This function requires "False" exactly as in the help
                  file, so there's noone to blame but me.