Re: [Clip] String Split

  • Don - HtmlFixIt.com
    Message 1 of 11 , Aug 1, 2008
      John Shotsky wrote:
      > It can also be done throughout a document with a Replace command, such as:
      > ^!Replace "(.+)\s?\R" >> "$1^%SPACE%^%NL%" ARSTW
      >
      > This will replace any existing spaces with a single space, or add a space if there is not one present. It will not place
      > a space in a blank line.
      >
      > John

      Wow, much as I don't understand it, I love regex! What power!

      Okay so .+ means one or more of any character(s) except a new line.
      That is matched and put into a match string that can be referred to as
      $1 because it is contained in parenthesis, so on the back side, $1
      reinserts that.

      \s means white space, so a space before an \R (meaning a return
      character -- I'm still in the habit of using \r\n instead I think ...)
      and the ? means zero or one, so the space is optional, but if no space,
      no problem and if space, it is left our of the $1 match string.

      Of course the back side is reinsert everything but the trailing space,
      add a space to each line and add a new line.

      However, he was trimming to 70 characters, won't this make variable
      length lines that may be either 71 (if no space) or 70 is space because
      you trim and then reinsert a space?

      I am not seeing how this eliminates existing spaces (as in multiples) if
      that was what you meant by replacing existing spaces, or did you mean
      one per line at the end?

      Thanks for the exercise as these really help me John,

      Don
      Message 2 of 11 , Aug 1, 2008
        "Don - HtmlFixIt.com" wrote:
        > This simply means IF there is a space at the end of the line
        > (or spaces) should they be trimmed or not. It does not insert
        > a space for you.

        Well, that space is already there. My selection contains a line of
        several hundred bytes length. What StrSplit does is go to 70 and
        then go backward to the next space and split the line there. (Or
        something very similar, this is how I did it in BASIC many years
        ago.) So my one line becomes many and at every new line-end there
        was a space originally.

        NB: Your suggestion will only add a single space after the last of
        the lines. In my full version I put an extra newline there.

        My text contains blocks pasted into it with very long or very short
        lines. I add empty lines between paragraphs I want to keep as such,
        find those blocks and do:

        ; Remember empty lines
        ^!InsertSelect
        ^$StrReplace("^P^P";"^T^T";"^$GetSelection$";FALSE;FALSE)$
        ; Make paragraphs one line
        ^!InsertSelect ^$StrReplace("^P";" ";"^$GetSelection$";FALSE;FALSE)$
        ; Make remembered markers line ends
        ^!InsertSelect
        ^$StrReplace("^T^T";"^P";"^$GetSelection$";FALSE;FALSE)$
        ; Split long lines to desired length
        ^!InsertText ^$StrSplit("^$GetSelection$";70;FALSE)$^P
        ; Find next instance
        ^!Goto loop

        Obviously the last FALSE means something else than I expect it to.

        Axel
      • Don - HtmlFixIt.com
        Message 3 of 11 , Aug 1, 2008
          Okay, I tested this now on some text.

          If I use FALSE at the end, all lines are hard wrapped/split at 70 or
          less and there is a trailing space on the line ... if it is wrapped.
          FALSE stops it from removing the trailing space that caused the split,
          in other words.

          Lines that end short of 70 do not have a space inserted after them
          because they were the natural ends and aren't wrapped by the function.

          If I use TRUE at the end of the function, then all lines are hard
          wrapped at 70 or less, but there is no trailing space. This makes it
          remove the delimiting space at the end of each line as it wraps.

          It seems to work as I would expect.

          Test Block:
          ^$StrEncrypt("Text";[Key])$ (added in v4.84)

          Provides stronger text encryption than ROT13. Use the optional "Key"
          parameter to define an encryption password (maximum 255 characters and
          case sensitive). Make sure you don't forget the key you used with this
          function, otherwise you may never be able to retrieve your encrypted
          text. Note that although the encryption algorithm is very good, there is
          no guarantee that it can't be cracked. You should not rely on it to
          protect very sensitive data. Example:

          ^$StrEncrypt("^$GetSelection$";"^?[key=My secret password]")$

          ^$StrFill("Str";Amount)$

          Returns a string entirely composed of the defined character or text
          repeated Amount times. Examples:

          ^$StrFill(+;4)$ -> ++++

          ^$StrFill("<>";4)$ -> <><><><>

          ^$StrFixLines("Str")$ (added in v4.51)

          Corrects carriage returns in text criteria (Unix and Mac-formatted text
          is converted to Dos/Windows format).

          ^$StrFormat("Str";LeftMargin;TextWidth;Justify)$

          Returns the "Str" string in specified format. LeftMargin determines the
          number of blank spaces to insert between the left margin and the text;
          TextWidth defines the maximum width of the text in each line; Justify is
          either True or False and determines if the text is left and right
          justified. Prior to version 4.8, this command was only available in the
          commercial and trial versions of NoteTab.

          With FALSE (set to 20 instead of 70 to make it easier and avoid wrap in
          email and replacing spaces with # to make it easier to see):
          ^$StrEncrypt("Text"
          ;[Key])$#(added#in#
          v4.84)

          Provides#stronger#
          text#encryption#than#
          ROT13.#Use#the#
          optional#"Key"#
          parameter#to#define#
          an#encryption#
          password#(maximum#
          255#characters#and#
          case#sensitive).#
          Make#sure#you#don't#
          forget#the#key#you#
          used#with#this#
          function,#otherwise#
          you#may#never#be#
          able#to#retrieve#
          your#encrypted#text.#
          Note#that#although#
          the#encryption#
          algorithm#is#very#
          good,#there#is#no#
          guarantee#that#it#
          can't#be#cracked.#
          You#should#not#rely#
          on#it#to#protect#
          very#sensitive#data.#
          Example:

          ##
          ^$StrEncrypt("
          ^$GetSelection$";"^
          ?[key=My#secret#
          password]")$

          #

          ^$StrFill("Str"
          ;Amount)$

          Returns#a#string#
          entirely#composed#of#
          the#defined#
          character#or#text#
          repeated#Amount#
          times.#Examples:

          ^$StrFill(+;4)$##->##
          ++++

          ^$StrFill("<>";4)$##
          ->##<><><><>

          #

          ^$StrFixLines("Str"
          )$#(added#in#v4.51)

          Corrects#carriage#
          returns#in#text#
          criteria#(Unix#and#
          Mac-formatted#text#
          is#converted#to#
          Dos/Windows#format).

          #

          ^$StrFormat("Str"
          ;LeftMargin
          ;TextWidth;Justify)$

          Returns#the#"Str"#
          string#in#specified#
          format.#LeftMargin#
          determines#the#
          number#of#blank#
          spaces#to#insert#
          between#the#left#
          margin#and#the#text;#
          TextWidth#defines#
          the#maximum#width#of#
          the#text#in#each#
          line;#Justify#is#
          either#True#or#False#
          and#determines#if#
          the#text#is#left#and#
          right#justified.#
          Prior#to#version#
          4.8,#this#command#
          was#only#available#
          in#the#commercial#
          and#trial#versions#
          of#NoteTab.

          #

          So there is a space LEFT at the end of each line where the line was
          split if you do it with FALSE. There is not a line inserted if the
          remaining piece of the line does not need to be split or if the line was
          less than the character length to begin with.

          And with it set to TRUE you get no trailing space because it is removed
          as part of the wrapping:
          ^$StrEncrypt("Text"
          ;[Key])$#(added#in
          v4.84)

          Provides#stronger
          text#encryption#than
          ROT13.#Use#the
          optional#"Key"
          parameter#to#define
          an#encryption
          password#(maximum
          255#characters#and
          case#sensitive).
          Make#sure#you#don't
          forget#the#key#you
          used#with#this
          function,#otherwise
          you#may#never#be
          able#to#retrieve
          your#encrypted#text.
          Note#that#although
          the#encryption
          algorithm#is#very
          good,#there#is#no
          guarantee#that#it
          can't#be#cracked.
          You#should#not#rely
          on#it#to#protect
          very#sensitive#data.
          Example:

          ^$StrEncrypt("
          ^$GetSelection$";"^
          ?[key=My#secret
          password]")$

          #

          ^$StrFill("Str"
          ;Amount)$

          Returns#a#string
          entirely#composed#of
          the#defined
          character#or#text
          repeated#Amount
          times.#Examples:

          ^$StrFill(+;4)$##->#
          ++++

          ^$StrFill("<>";4)$
          ->##<><><><>

          #

          ^$StrFixLines("Str"
          )$#(added#in#v4.51)

          Corrects#carriage
          returns#in#text
          criteria#(Unix#and
          Mac-formatted#text
          is#converted#to
          Dos/Windows#format).

          #

          ^$StrFormat("Str"
          ;LeftMargin
          ;TextWidth;Justify)$

          Returns#the#"Str"
          string#in#specified
          format.#LeftMargin
          determines#the
          number#of#blank
          spaces#to#insert
          between#the#left
          margin#and#the#text;
          TextWidth#defines
          the#maximum#width#of
          the#text#in#each
          line;#Justify#is
          either#True#or#False
          and#determines#if
          the#text#is#left#and
          right#justified.
          Prior#to#version
          4.8,#this#command
          was#only#available
          in#the#commercial
          and#trial#versions
          of#NoteTab.

          #

          Note that there are no trailing spaces on lines after the split.
        • John Shotsky
          Message 4 of 11 , Aug 1, 2008
            Don,

            You have correctly interpreted the regex. I thought the lines were already split, and the goal was just to add the space
            at the end.

            At this point, it would be helpful to see a snippet of source with a clear explanation of what is needed. Regex can
            probably do everything in one command.

            \R means any line terminator, even a combination of CRLF. I use that in the find side, and use \n or ^%NL% in the
            replace side.

            You are right about the spaces - it would need to be \s* to capture zero or multiple spaces. I wrote it thinking there
            might already be only one space.

            John

            > It can also be done throughout a document with a Replace command, such as:
            > ^!Replace "(.+)\s?\R" >> "$1^%SPACE%^%NL%" ARSTW
            >
            > This will replace any existing spaces with a single space, or add a space if there is not one present. It will not
            place
            > a space in a blank line.
            >
            > John

            Wow, much as I don't understand it, I love regex! What power!

            Okay so .+ means one or more of any character(s) except a new line.
            That is matched and put into a match string that can be referred to as
            $1 because it is contained in parenthesis, so on the back side, $1
            reinserts that.

            \s means white space, so a space before an \R (meaning a return
            character -- I'm still in the habit of using \r\n instead I think ...)
            and the ? means zero or one, so the space is optional, but if no space,
            no problem and if space, it is left our of the $1 match string.

            Of course the back side is reinsert everything but the trailing space,
            add a space to each line and add a new line.

            However, he was trimming to 70 characters, won't this make variable
            length lines that may be either 71 (if no space) or 70 is space because
            you trim and then reinsert a space?

            I am not seeing how this eliminates existing spaces (as in multiples) if
            that was what you meant by replacing existing spaces, or did you mean
            one per line at the end?

            Thanks for the exercise as these really help me John,

            Don

          • Sheri
            Message 5 of 11 , Aug 1, 2008

              > With the command
              >
              > ^!InsertText ^$StrSplit("^$GetSelection$";70;FALSE)$
              >
              > I had expected every line to end with a space before the return.
              > Isn't that what the FALSE stands for? Not so, no space. What's
              > wrong?
              >
              > Axel

              I'm not sure StrSplit is doing.

              I have View Nonprinting characters enabled.

              If I have a document with:

              abc followed by 70 spaces followed by abc followed by three spaces

              And I highlight that and run the above clip, it keeps all the spaces
              and the two resulting lines both start with abc.

              If I change the FALSE to TRUE, I get exactly the same result.

              If I do the same thing in NTP version 4.95, with TRUE the trailing
              spaces get removed and both lines have just abc on them.

              So it would seem that the function's behavior changed at some point. I
              am currently running NTP 5.7b.

              Message 6 of 11 , Aug 1, 2008
                "Don - HtmlFixIt.com" wrote:
                > Provides#stronger#
                > text#encryption#than#
                > ROT13.#Use#the#
                > optional#"Key"#

                That's what I expected to happen. Doesn't do so here. As it works
                for you, the mistake must be somewhere one my side.

                Danke
                Axel
              • Don - HtmlFixIt.com
                Message 7 of 11 , Aug 1, 2008
                  Axel Berger wrote:
                  > "Don - HtmlFixIt.com" wrote:
                  >> Provides#stronger#
                  >> text#encryption#than#
                  >> ROT13.#Use#the#
                  >> optional#"Key"#
                  >
                  > That's what I expected to happen. Doesn't do so here. As it works
                  > for you, the mistake must be somewhere one my side.
                  >
                  > Danke
                  > Axel

                  I am apparently in 5.5. I have 5.7, but need to get it to start when I
                  click on notetab. Perhaps the version number does have something to do
                  with it.

                  I tried Sheri's example and got very odd results. If you have abc[bunch
                  of spaces]abc[spaces] it doesn't trim the spaces up to the width with
                  true, but does trim them after the width. With False, it doesn't trim
                  any spaces, so you are left with lines with spaces going out way past
                  the specified width!
                  Message 8 of 11 , Aug 5, 2008
                    "Don - HtmlFixIt.com" wrote:
                    > If I use FALSE at the end, all lines are hard wrapped/split at
                    > 70 or less and there is a trailing space on the line ... if it
                    > is wrapped. FALSE stops it from removing the trailing space
                    > that caused the split, in other words.

                    Not quite. I have found my mistake here. I have got into the habit
                    of writing a capital "FALSE" which usually works, but not in
                    ^$StrSplit. This function requires "False" exactly as in the help
                    file, so there's noone to blame but me.