RE: [Clip] String Split

  • John Shotsky
    Message 1 of 11 , Aug 1 6:17 AM
      It can also be done throughout a document with a Replace command, such as:
      ^!Replace "(.+)\s?\R" >> "$1^%SPACE%^%NL%" ARSTW

      This will replace any existing spaces with a single space, or add a space if there is not one present. It will not place
      a space in a blank line.

      John

      Message 2 of 11 , Aug 1 6:31 AM
        John Shotsky wrote:
        > It can also be done throughout a document with a Replace command, such as:
        > ^!Replace "(.+)\s?\R" >> "$1^%SPACE%^%NL%" ARSTW
        >
        > This will replace any existing spaces with a single space, or add a space if there is not one present. It will not place
        > a space in a blank line.
        >
        > John

        Wow, much as I don't understand it, I love regex! What power!

        Okay so .+ means one or more of any character(s) except a new line.
        That is matched and put into a match string that can be referred to as
        $1 because it is contained in parenthesis, so on the back side, $1
        reinserts that.

        \s means white space, so a space before an \R (meaning a return
        character -- I'm still in the habit of using \r\n instead I think ...)
        and the ? means zero or one, so the space is optional, but if no space,
        no problem and if space, it is left our of the $1 match string.

        Of course the back side is reinsert everything but the trailing space,
        add a space to each line and add a new line.

        However, he was trimming to 70 characters, won't this make variable
        length lines that may be either 71 (if no space) or 70 is space because
        you trim and then reinsert a space?

        I am not seeing how this eliminates existing spaces (as in multiples) if
        that was what you meant by replacing existing spaces, or did you mean
        one per line at the end?

        Thanks for the exercise as these really help me John,

        Don
        Message 3 of 11 , Aug 1 6:32 AM
          "Don - HtmlFixIt.com" wrote:
          > This simply means IF there is a space at the end of the line
          > (or spaces) should they be trimmed or not. It does not insert
          > a space for you.

          Well, that space is already there. My selection contains a line of
          several hundred bytes length. What StrSplit does is go to 70 and
          then go backward to the next space and split the line there. (Or
          something very similar, this is how I did it in BASIC many years
          ago.) So my one line becomes many and at every new line-end there
          was a space originally.

          NB: Your suggestion will only add a single space after the last of
          the lines. In my full version I put an extra newline there.

          My text contains blocks pasted into it with very long or very short
          lines. I add empty lines between paragraphs I want to keep as such,
          find those blocks and do:

          ; Remember empty lines
          ^!InsertSelect
          ^$StrReplace("^P^P";"^T^T";"^$GetSelection$";FALSE;FALSE)$
          ; Make paragraphs one line
          ^!InsertSelect ^$StrReplace("^P";" ";"^$GetSelection$";FALSE;FALSE)$
          ; Make remembered markers line ends
          ^!InsertSelect
          ^$StrReplace("^T^T";"^P";"^$GetSelection$";FALSE;FALSE)$
          ; Split long lines to desired length
          ^!InsertText ^$StrSplit("^$GetSelection$";70;FALSE)$^P
          ; Find next instance
          ^!Goto loop

          Obviously the last FALSE means something else than I expect it to.

          Axel
        • Don - HtmlFixIt.com
          Message 4 of 11 , Aug 1 7:05 AM
            Okay, I tested this now on some text.

            If I use FALSE at the end, all lines are hard wrapped/split at 70 or
            less and there is a trailing space on the line ... if it is wrapped.
            FALSE stops it from removing the trailing space that caused the split,
            in other words.

            Lines that end short of 70 do not have a space inserted after them
            because they were the natural ends and aren't wrapped by the function.

            If I use TRUE at the end of the function, then all lines are hard
            wrapped at 70 or less, but there is no trailing space. This makes it
            remove the delimiting space at the end of each line as it wraps.

            It seems to work as I would expect.

            Test Block:
            ^$StrEncrypt("Text";[Key])$ (added in v4.84)

            Provides stronger text encryption than ROT13. Use the optional "Key"
            parameter to define an encryption password (maximum 255 characters and
            case sensitive). Make sure you don't forget the key you used with this
            function, otherwise you may never be able to retrieve your encrypted
            text. Note that although the encryption algorithm is very good, there is
            no guarantee that it can't be cracked. You should not rely on it to
            protect very sensitive data. Example:

            ^$StrEncrypt("^$GetSelection$";"^?[key=My secret password]")$

            ^$StrFill("Str";Amount)$

            Returns a string entirely composed of the defined character or text
            repeated Amount times. Examples:

            ^$StrFill(+;4)$ -> ++++

            ^$StrFill("<>";4)$ -> <><><><>

            ^$StrFixLines("Str")$ (added in v4.51)

            Corrects carriage returns in text criteria (Unix and Mac-formatted text
            is converted to Dos/Windows format).

            ^$StrFormat("Str";LeftMargin;TextWidth;Justify)$

            Returns the "Str" string in specified format. LeftMargin determines the
            number of blank spaces to insert between the left margin and the text;
            TextWidth defines the maximum width of the text in each line; Justify is
            either True or False and determines if the text is left and right
            justified. Prior to version 4.8, this command was only available in the
            commercial and trial versions of NoteTab.

            With FALSE (set to 20 instead of 70 to make it easier and avoid wrap in
            email and replacing spaces with # to make it easier to see):
            ^$StrEncrypt("Text"
            ;[Key])$#(added#in#
            v4.84)

            Provides#stronger#
            text#encryption#than#
            ROT13.#Use#the#
            optional#"Key"#
            parameter#to#define#
            an#encryption#
            password#(maximum#
            255#characters#and#
            case#sensitive).#
            Make#sure#you#don't#
            forget#the#key#you#
            used#with#this#
            function,#otherwise#
            you#may#never#be#
            able#to#retrieve#
            your#encrypted#text.#
            Note#that#although#
            the#encryption#
            algorithm#is#very#
            good,#there#is#no#
            guarantee#that#it#
            can't#be#cracked.#
            You#should#not#rely#
            on#it#to#protect#
            very#sensitive#data.#
            Example:

            ##
            ^$StrEncrypt("
            ^$GetSelection$";"^
            ?[key=My#secret#
            password]")$

            #

            ^$StrFill("Str"
            ;Amount)$

            Returns#a#string#
            entirely#composed#of#
            the#defined#
            character#or#text#
            repeated#Amount#
            times.#Examples:

            ^$StrFill(+;4)$##->##
            ++++

            ^$StrFill("<>";4)$##
            ->##<><><><>

            #

            ^$StrFixLines("Str"
            )$#(added#in#v4.51)

            Corrects#carriage#
            returns#in#text#
            criteria#(Unix#and#
            Mac-formatted#text#
            is#converted#to#
            Dos/Windows#format).

            #

            ^$StrFormat("Str"
            ;LeftMargin
            ;TextWidth;Justify)$

            Returns#the#"Str"#
            string#in#specified#
            format.#LeftMargin#
            determines#the#
            number#of#blank#
            spaces#to#insert#
            between#the#left#
            margin#and#the#text;#
            TextWidth#defines#
            the#maximum#width#of#
            the#text#in#each#
            line;#Justify#is#
            either#True#or#False#
            and#determines#if#
            the#text#is#left#and#
            right#justified.#
            Prior#to#version#
            4.8,#this#command#
            was#only#available#
            in#the#commercial#
            and#trial#versions#
            of#NoteTab.

            #

            So there is a space LEFT at the end of each line where the line was
            split if you do it with FALSE. There is not a line inserted if the
            remaining piece of the line does not need to be split or if the line was
            less than the character length to begin with.

            And with it set to TRUE you get no trailing space because it is removed
            as part of the wrapping:
            ^$StrEncrypt("Text"
            ;[Key])$#(added#in
            v4.84)

            Provides#stronger
            text#encryption#than
            ROT13.#Use#the
            optional#"Key"
            parameter#to#define
            an#encryption
            password#(maximum
            255#characters#and
            case#sensitive).
            Make#sure#you#don't
            forget#the#key#you
            used#with#this
            function,#otherwise
            you#may#never#be
            able#to#retrieve
            your#encrypted#text.
            Note#that#although
            the#encryption
            algorithm#is#very
            good,#there#is#no
            guarantee#that#it
            can't#be#cracked.
            You#should#not#rely
            on#it#to#protect
            very#sensitive#data.
            Example:

            ^$StrEncrypt("
            ^$GetSelection$";"^
            ?[key=My#secret
            password]")$

            #

            ^$StrFill("Str"
            ;Amount)$

            Returns#a#string
            entirely#composed#of
            the#defined
            character#or#text
            repeated#Amount
            times.#Examples:

            ^$StrFill(+;4)$##->#
            ++++

            ^$StrFill("<>";4)$
            ->##<><><><>

            #

            ^$StrFixLines("Str"
            )$#(added#in#v4.51)

            Corrects#carriage
            returns#in#text
            criteria#(Unix#and
            Mac-formatted#text
            is#converted#to
            Dos/Windows#format).

            #

            ^$StrFormat("Str"
            ;LeftMargin
            ;TextWidth;Justify)$

            Returns#the#"Str"
            string#in#specified
            format.#LeftMargin
            determines#the
            number#of#blank
            spaces#to#insert
            between#the#left
            margin#and#the#text;
            TextWidth#defines
            the#maximum#width#of
            the#text#in#each
            line;#Justify#is
            either#True#or#False
            and#determines#if
            the#text#is#left#and
            right#justified.
            Prior#to#version
            4.8,#this#command
            was#only#available
            in#the#commercial
            and#trial#versions
            of#NoteTab.

            #

            Note that there are no trailing spaces on lines after the split.
          • John Shotsky
            Message 5 of 11 , Aug 1 7:09 AM
              Don,

              You have correctly interpreted the regex. I thought the lines were already split, and the goal was just to add the space
              at the end.

              At this point, it would be helpful to see a snippet of source with a clear explanation of what is needed. Regex can
              probably do everything in one command.

              \R means any line terminator, even a combination of CRLF. I use that in the find side, and use \n or ^%NL% in the
              replace side.

              You are right about the spaces - it would need to be \s* to capture zero or multiple spaces. I wrote it thinking there
              might already be only one space.

              John

              > It can also be done throughout a document with a Replace command, such as:
              > ^!Replace "(.+)\s?\R" >> "$1^%SPACE%^%NL%" ARSTW
              >
              > This will replace any existing spaces with a single space, or add a space if there is not one present. It will not
              place
              > a space in a blank line.
              >
              > John

              Wow, much as I don't understand it, I love regex! What power!

              Okay so .+ means one or more of any character(s) except a new line.
              That is matched and put into a match string that can be referred to as
              $1 because it is contained in parenthesis, so on the back side, $1
              reinserts that.

              \s means white space, so a space before an \R (meaning a return
              character -- I'm still in the habit of using \r\n instead I think ...)
              and the ? means zero or one, so the space is optional, but if no space,
              no problem and if space, it is left our of the $1 match string.

              Of course the back side is reinsert everything but the trailing space,
              add a space to each line and add a new line.

              However, he was trimming to 70 characters, won't this make variable
              length lines that may be either 71 (if no space) or 70 is space because
              you trim and then reinsert a space?

              I am not seeing how this eliminates existing spaces (as in multiples) if
              that was what you meant by replacing existing spaces, or did you mean
              one per line at the end?

              Thanks for the exercise as these really help me John,

              Don

            • Sheri
              Message 6 of 11 , Aug 1 7:25 AM

                > With the command
                >
                > ^!InsertText ^$StrSplit("^$GetSelection$";70;FALSE)$
                >
                > I had expected every line to end with a space before the return.
                > Isn't that what the FALSE stands for? Not so, no space. What's
                > wrong?
                >
                > Axel

                I'm not sure StrSplit is doing.

                I have View Nonprinting characters enabled.

                If I have a document with:

                abc followed by 70 spaces followed by abc followed by three spaces

                And I highlight that and run the above clip, it keeps all the spaces
                and the two resulting lines both start with abc.

                If I change the FALSE to TRUE, I get exactly the same result.

                If I do the same thing in NTP version 4.95, with TRUE the trailing
                spaces get removed and both lines have just abc on them.

                So it would seem that the function's behavior changed at some point. I
                am currently running NTP 5.7b.

                Message 7 of 11 , Aug 1 7:38 AM
                  "Don - HtmlFixIt.com" wrote:
                  > Provides#stronger#
                  > text#encryption#than#
                  > ROT13.#Use#the#
                  > optional#"Key"#

                  That's what I expected to happen. Doesn't do so here. As it works
                  for you, the mistake must be somewhere one my side.

                  Danke
                  Axel
                • Don - HtmlFixIt.com
                  Message 8 of 11 , Aug 1 7:52 AM
                    Axel Berger wrote:
                    > "Don - HtmlFixIt.com" wrote:
                    >> Provides#stronger#
                    >> text#encryption#than#
                    >> ROT13.#Use#the#
                    >> optional#"Key"#
                    >
                    > That's what I expected to happen. Doesn't do so here. As it works
                    > for you, the mistake must be somewhere one my side.
                    >
                    > Danke
                    > Axel

                    I am apparently in 5.5. I have 5.7, but need to get it to start when I
                    click on notetab. Perhaps the version number does have something to do
                    with it.

                    I tried Sheri's example and got very odd results. If you have abc[bunch
                    of spaces]abc[spaces] it doesn't trim the spaces up to the width with
                    true, but does trim them after the width. With False, it doesn't trim
                    any spaces, so you are left with lines with spaces going out way past
                    the specified width!
                    Message 9 of 11 , Aug 5 10:01 AM
                      "Don - HtmlFixIt.com" wrote:
                      > If I use FALSE at the end, all lines are hard wrapped/split at
                      > 70 or less and there is a trailing space on the line ... if it
                      > is wrapped. FALSE stops it from removing the trailing space
                      > that caused the split, in other words.

                      Not quite. I have found my mistake here. I have got into the habit
                      of writing a capital "FALSE" which usually works, but not in
                      ^$StrSplit. This function requires "False" exactly as in the help
                      file, so there's noone to blame but me.