Re: [Clip] String Split

  • Don - HtmlFixIt.com
    Message 1 of 11 , Aug 1, 2008
      Axel Berger wrote:
      > With the command
      >
      > ^!InsertText ^$StrSplit("^$GetSelection$";70;FALSE)$
      >
      > I had expected every line to end with a space before the return.
      > Isn't that what the FALSE stands for? Not so, no space. What's
      > wrong?
      >
      > Axel

      This simply means IF there is a space at the end of the line (or spaces)
      should they be trimmed or not. It does not insert a space for you.
      Assuming I understand your question right anyway you expected it to
      insert a space at the end of each line? Trim to 69 and insert a space
      at 70 if you wish.

      See if this is what you wanted?

      ^!InsertText ^$StrSplit("^$GetSelection$";69;FALSE)$^%SPACE%

      ^%SPACE% = Blank space character of course

      You may get multiple spaces at the end of course.
    • John Shotsky
      Message 2 of 11 , Aug 1, 2008
        It can also be done throughout a document with a Replace command, such as:
        ^!Replace "(.+)\s?\R" >> "$1^%SPACE%^%NL%" ARSTW

        This will replace any existing spaces with a single space, or add a space if there is not one present. It will not place
        a space in a blank line.

        John

        Message 3 of 11 , Aug 1, 2008
          John Shotsky wrote:
          > It can also be done throughout a document with a Replace command, such as:
          > ^!Replace "(.+)\s?\R" >> "$1^%SPACE%^%NL%" ARSTW
          >
          > This will replace any existing spaces with a single space, or add a space if there is not one present. It will not place
          > a space in a blank line.
          >
          > John

          Wow, much as I don't understand it, I love regex! What power!

          Okay so .+ means one or more of any character(s) except a new line.
          That is matched and put into a match string that can be referred to as
          $1 because it is contained in parenthesis, so on the back side, $1
          reinserts that.

          \s means white space, so a space before an \R (meaning a return
          character -- I'm still in the habit of using \r\n instead I think ...)
          and the ? means zero or one, so the space is optional, but if no space,
          no problem and if space, it is left our of the $1 match string.

          Of course the back side is reinsert everything but the trailing space,
          add a space to each line and add a new line.

          However, he was trimming to 70 characters, won't this make variable
          length lines that may be either 71 (if no space) or 70 is space because
          you trim and then reinsert a space?

          I am not seeing how this eliminates existing spaces (as in multiples) if
          that was what you meant by replacing existing spaces, or did you mean
          one per line at the end?

          Thanks for the exercise as these really help me John,

          Don
          Message 4 of 11 , Aug 1, 2008
            "Don - HtmlFixIt.com" wrote:
            > This simply means IF there is a space at the end of the line
            > (or spaces) should they be trimmed or not. It does not insert
            > a space for you.

            Well, that space is already there. My selection contains a line of
            several hundred bytes length. What StrSplit does is go to 70 and
            then go backward to the next space and split the line there. (Or
            something very similar, this is how I did it in BASIC many years
            ago.) So my one line becomes many and at every new line-end there
            was a space originally.

            NB: Your suggestion will only add a single space after the last of
            the lines. In my full version I put an extra newline there.

            My text contains blocks pasted into it with very long or very short
            lines. I add empty lines between paragraphs I want to keep as such,
            find those blocks and do:

            ; Remember empty lines
            ^!InsertSelect
            ^$StrReplace("^P^P";"^T^T";"^$GetSelection$";FALSE;FALSE)$
            ; Make paragraphs one line
            ^!InsertSelect ^$StrReplace("^P";" ";"^$GetSelection$";FALSE;FALSE)$
            ; Make remembered markers line ends
            ^!InsertSelect
            ^$StrReplace("^T^T";"^P";"^$GetSelection$";FALSE;FALSE)$
            ; Split long lines to desired length
            ^!InsertText ^$StrSplit("^$GetSelection$";70;FALSE)$^P
            ; Find next instance
            ^!Goto loop

            Obviously the last FALSE means something else than I expect it to.

            Axel
          • Don - HtmlFixIt.com
            Message 5 of 11 , Aug 1, 2008
              Okay, I tested this now on some text.

              If I use FALSE at the end, all lines are hard wrapped/split at 70 or
              less and there is a trailing space on the line ... if it is wrapped.
              FALSE stops it from removing the trailing space that caused the split,
              in other words.

              Lines that end short of 70 do not have a space inserted after them
              because they were the natural ends and aren't wrapped by the function.

              If I use TRUE at the end of the function, then all lines are hard
              wrapped at 70 or less, but there is no trailing space. This makes it
              remove the delimiting space at the end of each line as it wraps.

              It seems to work as I would expect.

              Test Block:
              ^$StrEncrypt("Text";[Key])$ (added in v4.84)

              Provides stronger text encryption than ROT13. Use the optional "Key"
              parameter to define an encryption password (maximum 255 characters and
              case sensitive). Make sure you don't forget the key you used with this
              function, otherwise you may never be able to retrieve your encrypted
              text. Note that although the encryption algorithm is very good, there is
              no guarantee that it can't be cracked. You should not rely on it to
              protect very sensitive data. Example:

              ^$StrEncrypt("^$GetSelection$";"^?[key=My secret password]")$

              ^$StrFill("Str";Amount)$

              Returns a string entirely composed of the defined character or text
              repeated Amount times. Examples:

              ^$StrFill(+;4)$ -> ++++

              ^$StrFill("<>";4)$ -> <><><><>

              ^$StrFixLines("Str")$ (added in v4.51)

              Corrects carriage returns in text criteria (Unix and Mac-formatted text
              is converted to Dos/Windows format).

              ^$StrFormat("Str";LeftMargin;TextWidth;Justify)$

              Returns the "Str" string in specified format. LeftMargin determines the
              number of blank spaces to insert between the left margin and the text;
              TextWidth defines the maximum width of the text in each line; Justify is
              either True or False and determines if the text is left and right
              justified. Prior to version 4.8, this command was only available in the
              commercial and trial versions of NoteTab.

              With FALSE (set to 20 instead of 70 to make it easier and avoid wrap in
              email and replacing spaces with # to make it easier to see):
              ^$StrEncrypt("Text"
              ;[Key])$#(added#in#
              v4.84)

              Provides#stronger#
              text#encryption#than#
              ROT13.#Use#the#
              optional#"Key"#
              parameter#to#define#
              an#encryption#
              password#(maximum#
              255#characters#and#
              case#sensitive).#
              Make#sure#you#don't#
              forget#the#key#you#
              used#with#this#
              function,#otherwise#
              you#may#never#be#
              able#to#retrieve#
              your#encrypted#text.#
              Note#that#although#
              the#encryption#
              algorithm#is#very#
              good,#there#is#no#
              guarantee#that#it#
              can't#be#cracked.#
              You#should#not#rely#
              on#it#to#protect#
              very#sensitive#data.#
              Example:

              ##
              ^$StrEncrypt("
              ^$GetSelection$";"^
              ?[key=My#secret#
              password]")$

              #

              ^$StrFill("Str"
              ;Amount)$

              Returns#a#string#
              entirely#composed#of#
              the#defined#
              character#or#text#
              repeated#Amount#
              times.#Examples:

              ^$StrFill(+;4)$##->##
              ++++

              ^$StrFill("<>";4)$##
              ->##<><><><>

              #

              ^$StrFixLines("Str"
              )$#(added#in#v4.51)

              Corrects#carriage#
              returns#in#text#
              criteria#(Unix#and#
              Mac-formatted#text#
              is#converted#to#
              Dos/Windows#format).

              #

              ^$StrFormat("Str"
              ;LeftMargin
              ;TextWidth;Justify)$

              Returns#the#"Str"#
              string#in#specified#
              format.#LeftMargin#
              determines#the#
              number#of#blank#
              spaces#to#insert#
              between#the#left#
              margin#and#the#text;#
              TextWidth#defines#
              the#maximum#width#of#
              the#text#in#each#
              line;#Justify#is#
              either#True#or#False#
              and#determines#if#
              the#text#is#left#and#
              right#justified.#
              Prior#to#version#
              4.8,#this#command#
              was#only#available#
              in#the#commercial#
              and#trial#versions#
              of#NoteTab.

              #

              So there is a space LEFT at the end of each line where the line was
              split if you do it with FALSE. There is not a line inserted if the
              remaining piece of the line does not need to be split or if the line was
              less than the character length to begin with.

              And with it set to TRUE you get no trailing space because it is removed
              as part of the wrapping:
              ^$StrEncrypt("Text"
              ;[Key])$#(added#in
              v4.84)

              Provides#stronger
              text#encryption#than
              ROT13.#Use#the
              optional#"Key"
              parameter#to#define
              an#encryption
              password#(maximum
              255#characters#and
              case#sensitive).
              Make#sure#you#don't
              forget#the#key#you
              used#with#this
              function,#otherwise
              you#may#never#be
              able#to#retrieve
              your#encrypted#text.
              Note#that#although
              the#encryption
              algorithm#is#very
              good,#there#is#no
              guarantee#that#it
              can't#be#cracked.
              You#should#not#rely
              on#it#to#protect
              very#sensitive#data.
              Example:

              ^$StrEncrypt("
              ^$GetSelection$";"^
              ?[key=My#secret
              password]")$

              #

              ^$StrFill("Str"
              ;Amount)$

              Returns#a#string
              entirely#composed#of
              the#defined
              character#or#text
              repeated#Amount
              times.#Examples:

              ^$StrFill(+;4)$##->#
              ++++

              ^$StrFill("<>";4)$
              ->##<><><><>

              #

              ^$StrFixLines("Str"
              )$#(added#in#v4.51)

              Corrects#carriage
              returns#in#text
              criteria#(Unix#and
              Mac-formatted#text
              is#converted#to
              Dos/Windows#format).

              #

              ^$StrFormat("Str"
              ;LeftMargin
              ;TextWidth;Justify)$

              Returns#the#"Str"
              string#in#specified
              format.#LeftMargin
              determines#the
              number#of#blank
              spaces#to#insert
              between#the#left
              margin#and#the#text;
              TextWidth#defines
              the#maximum#width#of
              the#text#in#each
              line;#Justify#is
              either#True#or#False
              and#determines#if
              the#text#is#left#and
              right#justified.
              Prior#to#version
              4.8,#this#command
              was#only#available
              in#the#commercial
              and#trial#versions
              of#NoteTab.

              #

              Note that there are no trailing spaces on lines after the split.
            • John Shotsky
              Message 6 of 11 , Aug 1, 2008
                Don,

                You have correctly interpreted the regex. I thought the lines were already split, and the goal was just to add the space
                at the end.

                At this point, it would be helpful to see a snippet of source with a clear explanation of what is needed. Regex can
                probably do everything in one command.

                \R means any line terminator, even a combination of CRLF. I use that in the find side, and use \n or ^%NL% in the
                replace side.

                You are right about the spaces - it would need to be \s* to capture zero or multiple spaces. I wrote it thinking there
                might already be only one space.

                John

                > It can also be done throughout a document with a Replace command, such as:
                > ^!Replace "(.+)\s?\R" >> "$1^%SPACE%^%NL%" ARSTW
                >
                > This will replace any existing spaces with a single space, or add a space if there is not one present. It will not
                place
                > a space in a blank line.
                >
                > John

                Wow, much as I don't understand it, I love regex! What power!

                Okay so .+ means one or more of any character(s) except a new line.
                That is matched and put into a match string that can be referred to as
                $1 because it is contained in parenthesis, so on the back side, $1
                reinserts that.

                \s means white space, so a space before an \R (meaning a return
                character -- I'm still in the habit of using \r\n instead I think ...)
                and the ? means zero or one, so the space is optional, but if no space,
                no problem and if space, it is left our of the $1 match string.

                Of course the back side is reinsert everything but the trailing space,
                add a space to each line and add a new line.

                However, he was trimming to 70 characters, won't this make variable
                length lines that may be either 71 (if no space) or 70 is space because
                you trim and then reinsert a space?

                I am not seeing how this eliminates existing spaces (as in multiples) if
                that was what you meant by replacing existing spaces, or did you mean
                one per line at the end?

                Thanks for the exercise as these really help me John,

                Don

              • Sheri
                Message 7 of 11 , Aug 1, 2008

                  > With the command
                  >
                  > ^!InsertText ^$StrSplit("^$GetSelection$";70;FALSE)$
                  >
                  > I had expected every line to end with a space before the return.
                  > Isn't that what the FALSE stands for? Not so, no space. What's
                  > wrong?
                  >
                  > Axel

                  I'm not sure StrSplit is doing.

                  I have View Nonprinting characters enabled.

                  If I have a document with:

                  abc followed by 70 spaces followed by abc followed by three spaces

                  And I highlight that and run the above clip, it keeps all the spaces
                  and the two resulting lines both start with abc.

                  If I change the FALSE to TRUE, I get exactly the same result.

                  If I do the same thing in NTP version 4.95, with TRUE the trailing
                  spaces get removed and both lines have just abc on them.

                  So it would seem that the function's behavior changed at some point. I
                  am currently running NTP 5.7b.

                  Message 8 of 11 , Aug 1, 2008
                    "Don - HtmlFixIt.com" wrote:
                    > Provides#stronger#
                    > text#encryption#than#
                    > ROT13.#Use#the#
                    > optional#"Key"#

                    That's what I expected to happen. Doesn't do so here. As it works
                    for you, the mistake must be somewhere one my side.

                    Danke
                    Axel
                  • Don - HtmlFixIt.com
                    Message 9 of 11 , Aug 1, 2008
                      Axel Berger wrote:
                      > "Don - HtmlFixIt.com" wrote:
                      >> Provides#stronger#
                      >> text#encryption#than#
                      >> ROT13.#Use#the#
                      >> optional#"Key"#
                      >
                      > That's what I expected to happen. Doesn't do so here. As it works
                      > for you, the mistake must be somewhere one my side.
                      >
                      > Danke
                      > Axel

                      I am apparently in 5.5. I have 5.7, but need to get it to start when I
                      click on notetab. Perhaps the version number does have something to do
                      with it.

                      I tried Sheri's example and got very odd results. If you have abc[bunch
                      of spaces]abc[spaces] it doesn't trim the spaces up to the width with
                      true, but does trim them after the width. With False, it doesn't trim
                      any spaces, so you are left with lines with spaces going out way past
                      the specified width!
                      Message 10 of 11 , Aug 5, 2008
                        "Don - HtmlFixIt.com" wrote:
                        > If I use FALSE at the end, all lines are hard wrapped/split at
                        > 70 or less and there is a trailing space on the line ... if it
                        > is wrapped. FALSE stops it from removing the trailing space
                        > that caused the split, in other words.

                        Not quite. I have found my mistake here. I have got into the habit
                        of writing a capital "FALSE" which usually works, but not in
                        ^$StrSplit. This function requires "False" exactly as in the help
                        file, so there's noone to blame but me.