[Clip] Re: Help with extra lines & spaces

  • Claes Gauffin
    Message 1 of 22 , Nov 3, 1999
      Hi Jody,

      I think we have more or less the same solution. You have as usual those
      careful little details like screenupdate off and time stamp in the
      separator line. Nice.

      A couple of points:

      - I think your clip would be less ad hoc if you remove the ^!jump -4. It
      works just as well and is more generic.

      - With the stubbornness of a cuckoo clock, I insist that find backwards
      does not work with regexp. You are in fact searching forward in your clip.
      Try removing the "B" in your ^!Find, and you will see that it works just as
      beautiful!

      Regards /Claes
      Message 2 of 22 , Nov 3, 1999
        Hi Claes,

        > - I think your clip would be less ad hoc if you remove the
        > ^!jump -4. It works just as well and is more generic.

        My note said I took it out, but appearently something got my
        attention before I did. The reason why it "was working" for me
        was the jump -4.

        You are right! B no workie. Thanks! I tested that twice though
        befor and saw a line get selected. What was happenning though I
        believe was since it was going -4 on what I was testing (before I
        got to jump_end it was actually searching forward on a line I was
        jumping back to. :( Thanks and good ClipNite. I will look at your
        again tomorrow.

        The two most common elements in the
        universe are hydrogen and stupidity.

        Signed,
        I. Claim Ignorance

        mailto:CF@...?subject=subscribe
      • Sky-Surfer
        Message 3 of 22 , Nov 3, 1999
          Hiya Jody & Claes,

          Well, I think we finally have a winner!!! I have learned so very
          much from both of you - Thank you both for all your help by showing
          me various solutions through different eyes...!!! 8-)

          I have tested all of the clips that you both sent to me -
          and even experimented with slightly modifying them to make them more
          applicable for my situation. I have ended up with a clip that
          combines the best of both worlds...!!
          (With a few polishing "touch-ups" by me...)

          For the rest of you reading this, the following clip will basically:

          * Jump to the end of your document
          * Paste the clipboard contents
          --- Here's the tricky part: ---
          * Delete all spaces, tabs, and carriage returns, from the end
          * Add a blank line, a dotted line, and another blank line.

          <--- Copy below this line --->
          H=PerfectPaste@End
          ^!Keyboard CTRL+End CTRL+V
          ^!InsertText ^%NL%^%NL%
          :Loop
          ^!Select -2
          ^!If ^$GetSelection$ = ^%NL% Loop
          ^!Find "a-z0-9".* SBH
          ^!Jump Select_End
          ^!Select +999
          ^!Keyboard Delete
          ^!InsertText ^%NL%^%NL%------------------------------^%NL%^%NL%
          <--- Copy above this line, right --->
          <--- click over the Clipbook and --->
          <--- choose "Add from Clipboard" --->

          NOTE:

          Notice the second command line. (^!InsertText ^%NL%^%NL%)
          I had to add this command to add extra lines here, or else, (if there
          was no extra spaces, tabs, or carriage returns at the end of the
          clipboard) the clip would *not* add the correct spacing or dotted
          line separator at the end.

          Also, for this clip to work smoothly, you must set the document's
          properties to "Trim White Spaces" in the "Document | Properties"
          dialogue box. (Otherwise, if there is an odd number of spaces/tabs
          on the last line with text on it, an unwanted space/tab will remain.)

          Two more questions for the whizzes:

          1) Can either of you help explain the depth of the following
          search parameters?

          ^!Find "a-z0-9".* SBH

          I understand the SBH part. But I am having difficulty figuring out
          the scope of the added "period" & "*". Is this creating a wild-card
          search, and if so, what extra parameter is being added to the search
          besides the a-z & 0-9...??? I ask because my testing so far with
          this "Gem" has been flawless, but until I understand this line
          completely, I won't be able to say it IS flawless... 8-)

          2) Is the Loop command simply a modified IF/THEN/GOTO command...??

          There is *very* little information about this command in NTP's help
          file. Actually, NO mention of Loop except for how to get out of one!
          ;)

          THANX again for your patience & insight.

          Nothin' Left To Do But...
          SMILE
          SMILE
          SMILE
          :)
        • Claes Gauffin
          Message 4 of 22 , Nov 3, 1999
            Hi Sky-Surfer

            At 15:01 1999-11-03 -0500, you wrote:

            >1) Can either of you help explain the depth of the following
            >search parameters?
            >
            >^!Find "a-z0-9".* SBH

            That does not seem quite right. What you should have is a regular expression
            like this:
            ^!Find "[a-z0-9].*" SBHRI

            which says: search silently, backwards, within the current selection, using
            regular expression syntax, ignoring case, for any character between a-z or
            0-9,
            followed by any number of any character.

            Actually, for your purposes I don't think you need the .* part. As soon as
            you find one letter or number you know this is a line that should not be
            deleted. Also, as you may have gathered from the talk Jody and I had,
            backward searching does not work with regular expressions, yet. (We are a
            number of people who quite hope for some polishing of regexps in coming
            releases...)

            >2) Is the Loop command simply a modified IF/THEN/GOTO command...??

            No. "Loop" in your case is not a command but a label for a position in your
            code where you can jump as a result of testing a condition.

            In your case
            ^!If ^$GetSelection$ = ^%NL% Loop
            tests whether what you have selected is a line break.
            If it is you will continue executing the clip from the position indicated
            by :Loop.
            If it is not you will continue with the next command in the clip (^!Find...)

            Regards /Claes
            Message 5 of 22 , Nov 3, 1999
              Hi Sky-Surfer,

              Just saw Claes' post come in on autocheck when I was getting
              ready to reply - will send this anyway... Enjoy!-)

              > Well, I think we finally have a winner!!!

              Great!

              > ^!Find "a-z0-9".* SBH

              UhOh, is Claes ever gonna jump on you! ;->

              > 1) Can either of you help explain the depth of the following
              > search parameters?
              >
              > ^!Find "a-z0-9".* SBH
              >
              > I understand the SBH part.

              So, you understand "B" in this case stands for "Broke." hahaha!

              > But I am having difficulty figuring out the scope of the added
              > "period" & "*".

              Since I have a hard time still understanding regExp fully I'll save
              that for those that do know it!-)

              > 2) Is the Loop command simply a modified IF/THEN/GOTO
              > command...??

              No, "If" sets up a choice to do one of two things. Well, instead
              of a discussion, try these out. Also see Eric's Demos in his
              SampleCode.clb and Help on ^!If. There are two different
              formats. I normally reserve numbers for ^!If and use ^!IfSame,
              ^!IfDiff for words, but ^!If can be used for words.

              <--- Copy below this line --->
              H="Demo Variables 1"
              ; 11/03/1999, Sojourner@..., jody
              :LoopThis
              ^!Set %TheVariable%=^?{Set "TheVariable" to the value of=}
              ^!Info TheVariable was set to:^p^p"^%TheVariable%"
              ^!Skip Change "TheVariable"?
              ^!Goto Clip
              ^!Goto LoopThis

              :Clip
              ^!Clip "If TheVariable"

              H="_If TheVariable"
              ; 11/03/1999, Continued from "Demo Variables 1"
              :Yeppers!
              ^!Set %If%=^?{Put in what you set TheVariable to=}
              ^!If "^%TheVariable%" = "^%If%" Next Else Oops
              ^!Info "TheVariable" equals "If" as seen below:^p^p"^%TheVariable%" = ^%If%
              ^!Goto Again

              :Oops
              ^!Info "^%If%" was not what "TheVariable" was set to!^p^p"TheVariable" is equal to: "^%TheVariable%"

              :Again
              ^!Skip Try Again?
              ^!Goto End
              ^!Goto Yeppers!

              H="Demo - 1"
              ; 11/03/1999, Sojourner@..., jody
              ^!Set %YourNumber%=^?[Enter a number. You are looking for the number one=_1|]
              ^!If 1 = ^%YourNumber% DoThis else DoThat
              ;...blah, blah, blah...
              :DoThis
              ^!SetWizardTitle ~^$StrFill(" ";40)$ If Demo ^$StrFill(" ";40)$~
              ^!Info [L]Variable %YourNumber% was set to 1.^pYou are at the "DoThis" label; 1 = ^%YourNumber%.^p
              ^!Goto End

              :DoThat
              ^!SetWizardTitle ~^$StrFill(" ";75)$ If Demo ^$StrFill(" ";75)$~
              ^!Info [L]Variable %YourNumber% was set to ^%YourNumber%, but you were looking for 1.^pYou are at the "DoThat" label because %YourNumber% is not equal 1 to ^%YourNumber%.^p

              H="Demo - IfSame"
              ; 11/03/1999, Sojourner@..., jody
              ^!Set %YourWord%=^?[Enter a word. You are looking for the number NoteTab=_NoteTab|]
              ^!IfSame "NoteTab" "^%YourWord%" DoThis else DoThat
              ;...blah, blah, blah...
              :DoThis
              ^!SetWizardTitle ~^$StrFill(" ";40)$ IfSame Demo ^$StrFill(" ";40)$~
              ^!Info [L]Variable %YourWord% was set to NoteTab.^pYou are at the "DoThis" label because:^p"NoteTab" is the same as "^%YourWord%."^p
              ^!Goto End

              :DoThat
              ^!SetWizardTitle ~^$StrFill(" ";40)$ IfSame Demo ^$StrFill(" ";40)$~
              ^!Info [L]Variable %YourWord% was set to "^%YourWord%."^pYou were looking for NoteTab.^pYou are at the "DoThat" label because:^pNoteTab is _not_ the same as "^%YourWord%."^p

              <--- Copy above this line, right --->
              <--- click over the Clipbook and --->
              <--- choose "Add from Clipboard" --->

              > Actually, NO mention of Loop except for how to get out of one!

              H=Demo Loop
              ; 11/03/1999, Sojourner@..., jody
              ^!Set %loopvariable%=^?{How many times do you want to loop?=_3|}
              ^!Set %Count%=0; %Orig%=^%loopvariable%

              :AnyName
              ^!Inc Count
              ^!Info [L]%loopvariable% was set to ^%Orig%.^pLoop count is now ^%Count%.
              ^!If ^%loopvariable% = ^%Count% End else AnyName

              H=Demo - Find Loop
              ; 11/03/1999, Sojourner@..., jody
              ^!SetClipboard NoteTab Pro, NoteTab PRO, NoteTab Pro, NoteTab Std
              ^!Toolbar Paste New
              ^!Set %Found%=0

              :Loop
              ; "blank" was found first pass, search has not started
              ^!SetWizardTitle ^$GetSelection$ was found.
              ^!SetWizardLabel Search backwards for NoteTab Pro (case sensitive)
              ^!Find "^?{Find=NoteTab Pro}" SB
              ^!IfError Info
              ^!IfCancel Cancel
              ^!Inc %Found%
              ^!Goto Loop

              :Info
              ^!Jump 1
              ^!Info [L]NoteTab Pro was found ^%Found% times.

              :Cancel
              ^!Skip Delete test doc?
              ^!Goto End
              ^!Close Discard

              http://www.sureword.com/notetab

              The NoteTab Clip List...
              mailto:Ntb-Clips-Subscribe@...
              Message 6 of 22 , Nov 3, 1999
                Hi Sky-Surfer and Others,

                This is long and taken from Help via Wayne's Cross Rerference. I
                won't be posting it again so hold onto it, or better yet, get his
                Cross Reference and Granny Kay's Intorduction to Clipbook
                Progaming. The text below is all one line use Join Lines after
                you make is a Clip and start from the ^!Info line. Do the
                copy/right click thing and put it above the Demos I just sent.

                H=Quick If Reference
                ; Kay Roath has a very worthwhile:
                ; Intorduction to Clipbook Progaming for $5.00.
                ; http://able2find.com/notetabclips.shtml
                ; ^!If statements stolen from Wayne's Cross Reference
                ; http://landru.i-link-2.net/wayne/notetab.html

                ^!SetWizardTitle ~^$StrFill(" ";100)$ IfSame Demo ^$StrFill(" ";100)$~
                ^!Info [L]Basically speaking, If comapares two things. If they are the same the NoteTab will go to where you tell it too. If they are different then it goes to the other place you tell it to.^P^P^!If 1 = 1 ThenGoThisLabel esle GoDifferentLabel^P...^P:ThenGoThisLabel^P:GoDifferentLabel^P^PSo, if you set a variable or use something like ^$GetSelection$ for one of the halves of the statement (I ususally put the fixed in the first half looking for the second) ^!If will compare them.^P^P^!If 1 = ^$GetSelection$ ThenGoThisLabel esle GoDifferentLabel^P^PIf the number 2 was selected then NoteTab would go to:^P^P:GoDifferentLabel^P^PIf^P^!If Integer1 <>= Integer2 GoToLabelTrue [ELSE GoToLabelFalse]^P^!If "String1" <>= "String2" GoToLabelTrue [ELSE GoToLabelFalse]^P^PIf the comparison result is true, then jumps to the specified GoToLabelTrue label. If the result is false and the optional ELSE keyword follows the first label name, execution jumps to the specified GoToLabelFalse label; or to the next instruction if the "ELSE" label is not used. If the two values represent numbers then they are compared as numbers, otherwise they are compared as strings. String comparison is case sensitive.^PYou can use the following comparison operators:^P < returns True if left value is smaller than right value^P > returns True if left value is greater than right value^P <> returns True if left value is different from right value^P <= returns True if left value is smaller or equal to right value^P >= returns True if left value is greater or equal to right value^P = returns True if left value is equal to right value^P^PExamples:^PThe following will cause the execution to jump to the label defined as IsTrue:^P^!IF "Apple" <> "Orange" IsTrue ELSE IsFalse^PThe following will cause the execution to jump to the label defined as LabelFalse:^P^!IF 16 < 7 LabelTrue ELSE LabelFalse^P^P^P See topic:^P [Clip Language - Testing Conditions]^P^P See also:^P [:Label]^P [Goto]^P [IfClipExist]^P [IfDiff]^P [IfError]^P [IfFalse]^P [IfFileExist]^P [IfInDateRange]^P [IfInRange]^P [IfPathExist]^P [IfSame]^P [IfTrue]^P [IsAutoIndent]^P [IsClipDoc]^P [IsEmpty]^P [IsFileType]^P [IsFullVersion]^P [IsHtmlDoc]^P [IsLightVersion]^P [IsModified]^P [IsNumber]^P [IsOpen]^P [IsOutlineDoc]^P [IsPasteBoard]^P [IsReadonly]^P [IsUrl]^P [IsWordWrap]^P [Skip]^P [While]^P^P^PIfSame^P^!IfSame "Value1" "Value2" GoToLabelTrue [ELSE GoToLabelFalse]^P^PCompares two string values. The comparison is not case sensitive.^P^PThe following will cause the execution to jump to the label defined as GoToLabelTrue:^P^P ^!IfSame "abc" "ABC" GoToLabelTrue^P^PIfDiff^P^!IfDiff "Value1" "Value2" GoToLabelTrue [ELSE GoToLabelFalse]^P^PCompares two string values. The comparison is not case sensitive.^P^PThe following will cause the execution to skip the next instruction (Skip is a predefined label):^P^P ^!IfDiff "abc" "xyz" Skip^P^PIfTrue^P^!IfTrue Value GoToLabelTrue [ELSE GoToLabelFalse]^P^PIf Value is equal to 1, TRUE, YES, Y, or ON (case insensitive), then jumps to specified label name. Do not use comparison operators with this command; in that case, you should use the ^!If command to do a comparison between two values.^P^PIfTrue^P^!IfTrue Value GoToLabelTrue [ELSE GoToLabelFalse]^P^PIf Value is equal to 1, TRUE, YES, Y, or ON (case insensitive), then jumps to specified label name. Do not use comparison operators with this command; in that case, you should use the ^!If command to do a comparison between two values.^p

                c ya,
                jody

                I can only please one person a day.
                Today is obviously not your day.
                Tomorrow doesn't look good either. 8?D

                http://www.sureword.com/sojourner/
              • Manuel
                Message 7 of 22 , Nov 26, 1999
                  How can I count time, by example:

                  25-11-99 10:00
                  25-11-99 10:30

                  I need to know the time between two dates
                  --
                  Manuel, from Spain
                  manumail@...
                  Message 8 of 22 , Nov 27, 1999
                    Hi Manuel;

                    When Eric updatd his web site he included a clip I had sent to
                    him that adds or subtracts days and times.
                    The address is http://www.notetab.com/clipbooks/calcdt2.zip
                    or by page links
                    www.notetab.com Libraries | other | Mathematics | calcdt2.zip

                    You may be able to modify the clip for your specific purposes.

                    I will expand this to caliculate date/time differences when time
                    premits, however the clip will be significantly larger and more
                    complex.

                    Hope the clip helps, Len

                    At 07:53 PM 11/26/99 +0100, you wrote:
                    >How can I count time, by example:
                    >
                    >25-11-99 10:00
                    >25-11-99 10:30
                    >
                    >I need to know the time between two dates
                    >--
                    >Manuel, from Spain
                    >manumail@...

                    Leonard O. Hargrove, Jr.
                    Avionics Systems Engineer
                    E-Mail: Len <NoteTabA@...>
                  • Manuel
                    Message 9 of 22 , Nov 27, 1999
                      LEN
                      >When Eric updatd his web site he included a clip I had sent to
                      >him that adds or subtracts days and times.
                      >The address is http://www.notetab.com/clipbooks/calcdt2.zip

                      MANUEL
                      Hi, Len, thanks for the url.

                      --