Re: [Clip] Bug in Find/Replace?

  • jgood4u2
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 25, 2008
      You're right, I didn't use tab, because I overlooked it in the
      explanation. Neither the usage line (I copied below) or the examples
      that followed a few lines below gave any indication of the usage of
      tabs. It seems useful, if not obvious that usage and examples should
      give that info without a detailed reading of the text.

      ^!Replace "SearchText" >> "ReplaceText" [Options TCIBGWHRSAn]

      or

      ^!Replace SearchText ReplaceText [Options TCIBGWHRSAn]

      Similar to the "^!Find" command but replaces matches with the replace
      criteria. The first format uses spaces to separate parameters and the
      second uses a tab character. Use one or the other but do not mix the two
      formats within an instruction. You can use the following optional
      setting, which is specific to the Replace command:

      A: Use to replace all matched occurrences. When this option is not used,
      only the first match is replaced.

      The following Clip example will search all open documents and replace
      the listed upper case HTML tags to their lower case equivalent:

      ^!Replace <B> <b> GA

      ^!Replace </B> </b> GA

      ^!Replace <I> <i> GA

      ^!Replace </i> </i> GA
      Might have been written as:
      ^!Replace "SearchText" >> "ReplaceText" [Options TCIBGWHRSAn]

      or

      ^!Replace SearchText [<tab>] ReplaceText [<tab>] [Options
      TCIBGWHRSAn]

      Similar to the "^!Find" command but replaces matches with the replace
      criteria. The first format uses spaces to separate parameters and the
      second uses a tab character. Use one or the other but do not mix the two
      formats within an instruction. You can use the following optional
      setting, which is specific to the Replace command:

      A: Use to replace all matched occurrences. When this option is not used,
      only the first match is replaced.

      The following Clip example will search all open documents and replace
      the listed upper case HTML tags to their lower case equivalent:

      If you look directly at the HTML that comprises the help file itself,
      you'll see that the text uses nbsp character and never a tab to provide
      the examples in the text itself.

      Thanks, sorry I missed it in the original, but it could have been
      clearer.

      -J-

      > Is it possible when you made the first choice that you did not use a
      tab
      > between the 'Search' 'Replace' fields. Lines below from the 'Help
      file'.

      > "Similar to the "^!Find" command but replaces matches with the replace
      > criteria. The first format uses spaces to separate parameters and the
      > second uses a tab character"
      >
      > ·············································
      > ºvº SL_177 created_2008.06.25_08.21.18

    • jgood4u2
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 25, 2008
        I had actually tried that (quotes), but they are taken as literals and
        appear in the results, not as delimiters as you might expect.

        -J-

        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 25, 2008
          jgood4u2 wrote:
          > I had actually tried that (quotes), but they are taken as
          > literals and appear in the results, not as delimiters as
          > you might expect.

          Sorry, my mistake. As I said, I don't use that form myself.