Select lines

    Message 1 of 14 , Jun 22, 2008
      There is an error in the clips help file

      ^!Select +100 should select the next 100 lines, instead it selects
      the next 100 bytes. I need to select the lines though. How can I do
      it?

      Message 2 of 14 , Jun 22, 2008
        Axel Berger wrote:
        > There is an error in the clips help file

        No there isn't. I should learn how to read sometime. Everything
        works as desired and as advertised, sorry for wasting your time.
      • Dottie Daugherty
        Message 3 of 14 , Jun 22, 2008
          Axel Berger wrote:
          > There is an error in the clips help file
          >
          > ^!Select +100 should select the next 100 lines, instead it selects
          > the next 100 bytes. I need to select the lines though. How can I do
          > it?
          >
          > Axel

          My help file has this:
          If the parameter is a number without a sign (+/-), the command will
          treat it as the number of lines to select from the cursor position. When
          a sign is used, the command will increase or decrease the size of the
          selection (characters) by the amount specified.

          Thus it appears you want to use ^!Select 100 to get 100 lines, rather
          than ^!Select +100 which gives the next 100 characters (bytes.)
          Hope this helps.
        • chsulka
          Message 4 of 14 , Jun 25, 2008
            This is my first attempt at writing a clip. It's not going so well.

            I want to create annotated hyperlink files. For example, if I had a
            newspaper articles saved as a text file in the New York Times folder,
            I would like to cross-reference the story to the author, topic or
            subject folders, etc. I had hoped to use clips to retrieve the path
            and file name of an open document, open a new file and post the full
            path as a hyperlink, then allow me to add some notations in this file,
            and save the text file with link (wherever I needed annotated
            hyperlinks). It seemed simple to me:

            ^!FocusDoc ... to use the current active document. This may be
            unnecessary, as the current open doc is probably the default value.

            then

            ^$GetExpandedName$ ... to get the full path & filename.

            Finally, I couldn't figure out how to create a new file but I read
            that ^!AppendToFile will automatically open a new clean file if no
            file name is specified. So I figured I'd use this command without a
            file name specified.

            I have struggled with it but get nowhere. I can't even figure out how
            to display the value of ExpandedName for debugging purposes. (Clips
            is HARD!) I have tried to edit some other clips but can't seem to get
            the hang of it.

            Any help would be most appreciated.

            CHS
          • Don - HtmlFixIt.com
            Message 5 of 14 , Jun 25, 2008
              chsulka wrote:
              > This is my first attempt at writing a clip. It's not going so well.
              >
              > I want to create annotated hyperlink files. For example, if I had a
              > newspaper articles saved as a text file in the New York Times folder,
              > I would like to cross-reference the story to the author, topic or
              > subject folders, etc. I had hoped to use clips to retrieve the path
              > and file name of an open document, open a new file and post the full
              > path as a hyperlink, then allow me to add some notations in this file,
              > and save the text file with link (wherever I needed annotated
              > hyperlinks). It seemed simple to me:
              >
              > ^!FocusDoc ... to use the current active document. This may be
              > unnecessary, as the current open doc is probably the default value.
              >
              > then
              >
              > ^$GetExpandedName$ ... to get the full path & filename.
              >
              > Finally, I couldn't figure out how to create a new file but I read
              > that ^!AppendToFile will automatically open a new clean file if no
              > file name is specified. So I figured I'd use this command without a
              > file name specified.
              >
              > I have struggled with it but get nowhere. I can't even figure out how
              > to display the value of ExpandedName for debugging purposes. (Clips
              > is HARD!) I have tried to edit some other clips but can't seem to get
              > the hang of it.
              >
              > Any help would be most appreciated.
              >
              > CHS

              Dear CHS,

              First hang in there, you almost have it! You are on top of the mountain
              and about to go down the steep positive incline!

              If you want the name of the current file, you can use ^** as that means
              the current file:

              ^!Info ^$GetExpandedName(^**)$

              That should display the name with path and extension of the current file.

              You do not need to focus on the current document.

              You can also assign the value to a variable:
              ^!Set %current_file%="^$GetExpandedName(^**)$"
              ^!Info ^%current_file%

              That should get you going a little. I don't fully understand what you
              are trying to do yet.

              You may want to create a wizard that prompts you for information? Look
              under help/clip programming for wizards.

              Keep working forward!

              Don
            • Alec Burgess
              Message 6 of 14 , Jun 25, 2008
                CHS:
                > I have struggled with it but get nowhere. I can't even figure out how
                > to display the value of ExpandedName for debugging purposes.
                ==== ^$GetExpandedName$ ====

                All of the clip "statements" that start with ^$ instead of ^! are functions not variables.
                Here is a sample clip that hopefully shows how these related functions can be employed.
                Try running it against both a file that has not yet been saved to disk (eg. NoName01.txt) and one that has been read from disk:

                H="working with $GET name functions
                ^!setdebug ON

                ^!set %theDocName%=^$GetDocName$
                ^!set %theFileName%=^$GetFileName(^%theDocName%)$
                ^!set %theExpandedName%=^$GetExpandedName(^%theDocName%)$
                ^!set %theExpandedRootedName%=^$GetExpandedName(^%theFileName%;C:\Program Files\)$
                ; this file does not exist at all
                ^!set %theNotAFile%=^$GetExpandedName(..\MyFile.txt;c:\temp\test\)$

                ;^!info this is the docname: ^%theDocName%
                ;^!info this is the filename: ^%theFileName%
                ;^!info this is the expanded name : ^%theExpandedName%
                ;^!info this is rooted name ^%theRootedName%
                ;^!info this is expanded rooted name ^%theExpandedRootedName
                ;^!info this is a non-existent file ^%theNotAFile%

                Regards ... Alec (buralex@gmail)

                chsulka wrote (in part):
                > ^$GetExpandedName$ ... to get the full path & filename.
                >
                > Finally, I couldn't figure out how to create a new file but I read
                > that ^!AppendToFile will automatically open a new clean file if no
                > file name is specified. So I figured I'd use this command without a
                > file name specified.
                >
                > I have struggled with it but get nowhere. I can't even figure out how
                > to display the value of ExpandedName for debugging purposes.

                > (Clips
                > is HARD!)
                Not hard, just different. Are you using $setdebug ON (see above clip) to
                follow what is going on?

                Message 7 of 14 , Jun 25, 2008
                  "Don - HtmlFixIt.com" wrote:
                  > I don't fully understand what you are trying to do yet.

                  Me too, I don't understand anything. CHS, (Americans are liberal, in
                  Germany it would be illegal to give a daughter that Christian name),
                  could you give an example of one full path name and of what your
                  desired end product(s) should look like? With the end points
                  defined, I'm sure a way between them can be found.

                  Axel
                • Art Kocsis
                  Message 8 of 14 , Jun 25, 2008
                    Welcome to "No pain, No gain!"

                    Clips are very powerful and can make (repetitive) life much easier
                    but the syntax is very unforgiving. Use the Clip help file frequently
                    and (thank you Sherri), bookmark your finds using "Favorites".
                    Follow the syntax exactly - spaces, tabs, quotes. One space may
                    be a delimiter. Two spaces are a "Syntax error". Frequently, for me,
                    items are not where I would expect them in the help file so use
                    search freely.

                    As a programming strategy, do not hard code but parameterize
                    everything. For don't hard code your file name(s) but store the
                    file name in a variable with the ^!Set command in the beginning
                    of your clip. Tha way you can easily change it as the clip evolves
                    and/or go interactive and get the name from on input window.

                    Define and set a debug variable and then use it to embed debug
                    statements throughout your clip. For example:

                    ^!Set %Debug%="True"
                    ^!IfTrue ^%Debug% ^!InsertText ^%NL%Entering Clip initialization

                    Don't make many assumptions - test everything. Verify values
                    before you use them and <some_action> or exit on error. For
                    example, verify that the retrieved documents exists and is open
                    using the ^!IfFileExist and ^$IsOpen commands. "Probably" may
                    not be "Actually".

                    Start with something simple, i.e., "Hello World" and then expand
                    on it. Don't attempt a complex for your firs clip. At least, start with
                    a simple portion of it.

                    To output clip (debug) status you can use ^!InsertText, ^!Info, ^!Prompt
                    and ^!Continue among others. [See Message Boxes / Prompts]. Note
                    that the ^!InsertText command adds text to the focus document (which
                    is fine for capturing a log of clip actions) without waiting for a response.
                    The others open a temporary dialog window and interrupt clip processing
                    until you respond.

                    Hope this helps.

                    Art

                    At 6/25/2008 12:09 PM, you wrote:
                    >This is my first attempt at writing a clip. It's not going so well.
                    >
                    >I want to create annotated hyperlink files. For example, if I had a
                    >newspaper articles saved as a text file in the New York Times folder,
                    >I would like to cross-reference the story to the author, topic or
                    >subject folders, etc. I had hoped to use clips to retrieve the path
                    >and file name of an open document, open a new file and post the full
                    >path as a hyperlink, then allow me to add some notations in this file,
                    >and save the text file with link (wherever I needed annotated
                    >hyperlinks). It seemed simple to me:
                    >
                    >^!FocusDoc ... to use the current active document. This may be
                    >unnecessary, as the current open doc is probably the default value.
                    >
                    >then
                    >
                    >^$GetExpandedName$ ... to get the full path & filename.
                    >
                    >Finally, I couldn't figure out how to create a new file but I read
                    >that ^!AppendToFile will automatically open a new clean file if no
                    >file name is specified. So I figured I'd use this command without a
                    >file name specified.
                    >
                    >I have struggled with it but get nowhere. I can't even figure out how
                    >to display the value of ExpandedName for debugging purposes. (Clips
                    >is HARD!) I have tried to edit some other clips but can't seem to get
                    >the hang of it.
                    >
                    >Any help would be most appreciated.
                    >
                    >CHS
                  • John Shotsky
                    Message 9 of 14 , Jun 25, 2008
                      One of my biggest learning aids is to use the Find/Replace window, with case sensitive and regex active. Then, you can
                      just enter your 'find' statement, and tell it to find. You can then see exactly what it is finding. Many's the time it
                      'found' more or less than I had intended. I 'Find' repetitively through a file to see the variations that it finds. I
                      often set the find to the most aggressive state, so I can see the edge cases that I might not want to catch.

                      John

                      At 6/25/2008 12:09 PM, you wrote:
                      >This is my first attempt at writing a clip. It's not going so well.
                      >
                      >I want to create annotated hyperlink files. For example, if I had a
                      >newspaper articles saved as a text file in the New York Times folder,
                      >I would like to cross-reference the story to the author, topic or
                      >subject folders, etc. I had hoped to use clips to retrieve the path
                      >and file name of an open document, open a new file and post the full
                      >path as a hyperlink, then allow me to add some notations in this file,
                      >and save the text file with link (wherever I needed annotated
                      >hyperlinks). It seemed simple to me:
                      >
                      >^!FocusDoc ... to use the current active document. This may be
                      >unnecessary, as the current open doc is probably the default value.
                      >
                      >then
                      >
                      >^$GetExpandedName$ ... to get the full path & filename.
                      >
                      >Finally, I couldn't figure out how to create a new file but I read
                      >that ^!AppendToFile will automatically open a new clean file if no
                      >file name is specified. So I figured I'd use this command without a
                      >file name specified.
                      >
                      >I have struggled with it but get nowhere. I can't even figure out how
                      >to display the value of ExpandedName for debugging purposes. (Clips
                      >is HARD!) I have tried to edit some other clips but can't seem to get
                      >the hang of it.
                      >
                      >Any help would be most appreciated.
                      >
                      >CHS

                    • C. H. Sulka (Digital Technology, Inc.)
                      Message 10 of 14 , Jun 26, 2008
                        Re: annotated hyperlink files . . .

                        Thanks, folks! With all that help I should be 90% of the way
                        there. What I'm trying to do is simple, and there might be a
                        number of other ways to accomplish the same thing. I simply
                        wanted to be able to generate and save hyperlink notes files
                        on the fly. (I suspect NTP Outline function could do this
                        too but I need to start learning clips.)

                        I save documents in a generic filing system. An example might
                        be an article on free trade by John Smith, published in the
                        Washington Post Newspaper, which would be filed as:

                        PUBS\WASHINGTON POST\SMITH\JOHN\20080626\ar2008062603786.txt

                        The problem is, while this is a good general purpose filing
                        system for the thousands of articles and documents I've saved,
                        it is next to useless when trying to actually use the documents.
                        If I'm writing an essay on free trade, I will want to have
                        this document and many others at my fingertips. But it is
                        impossible to remember the date and publisher, and the title
                        isn't in the filename, and even if it were the headline or title
                        is often not meaningful. So what I have done is save copies of
                        all related articles and documents in my project folders on
                        works in progress. I also save copies in the author's
                        personal reference and correspondence files, and sometimes
                        I'll save copies in other places where the document has been
                        cited, or forwarded to some third party. I have 3,4, maybe
                        5 copies of every document I've ever archived. Luckily hard
                        disks are cheap and text files are small. But now that more
                        and more of my documents are coming in HTML and PDF files a
                        great deal of space is wasted storing duplicate files.

                        So what I want to do is as I'm reading an article, I run a
                        clip that opens a new file, looks up the full path of the
                        document I was just looking at, and pastes it in a link I
                        can click on to open the original document. Before saving
                        the link file I usually would type some notes or commentary.
                        Then I save this "link file" in the work in progress folder,
                        the author's biographical folder, and maybe other places.
                        Then when I'm in those projects I can open the links file
                        and click on the hyperlink and the document is opened as if
                        it were right there.

                        I guess I could also include the actual document URL in the
                        link file too . . . but web links don't last, and the originals
                        are usually HTML files with a bunch of junk that has to be
                        cleaned up before the document is usable, and NTP isn't
                        web-enabled (yet) so that means opening the document in a
                        different program, etc.

                        I could probably do this using NTP's Outline function (which
                        I've not yet learned either) but I thought a HTML or TEXT file
                        would work with other applications, and I expect Outline files
                        won't.

                        Thanks for the guidance. I'll be running through the drills
                        and trying to get a grasp of clip programming over the next
                        several days. And thanks again for all the help in the past.
                        I confess I'm using a lot of clips others have written--some
                        especially for me. It's time I learned to do at least the
                        basics myself.

                        CHS
                      • John Shotsky
                        Message 11 of 14 , Jun 26, 2008
                          I think you could save the articles only once, add any keywords you wish and use something like Google Desktop Search to
                          retrieve the associated documents. You can direct Google to only look at your own computer, or even a folder full of
                          subfolders. You could forward each article to gmail with keywords, and use gmail's search to find keywords. I think
                          you're making this more difficult than you need to. Existing search tools are very powerful - it is up to use to learn
                          to use that power.

                          John

                          Message 12 of 14 , Jun 26, 2008
                            C. H. Sulka (Digital Technology, Inc.) (dti@...) wrote (in
                            part) (on 08-06-26 at 21:41):
                            > John Shotsky (jshotsky@...) wrote (in part) (on 08-06-26 at
                            > 22:05):
                            >> I think you could save the articles only once, add any keywords you wish and use something like Google Desktop Search to
                            >> retrieve the associated documents. You can direct Google to only look at your own computer, or even a folder full of
                            >> subfolders. You could forward each article to gmail with keywords, and use gmail's search to find keywords. I think
                            >> you're making this more difficult than you need to. Existing search tools are very powerful - it is up to use to learn
                            >> to use that power.
                            +1 - totally agree or Windows Desktop search (or X1 - if it still has a
                            free version?)

                            Firefox 3 has addon Gspace 0.5.94
                            https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/1593 which allows you to
                            treat your 6GB of gmail space as an FTP site for file storage through a
                            drag-and-drop interface AND apply the power of filters, tags and normal
                            google search syntax to find the information you want when you want to
                            work with it. (It was broken for sometime with Firefox 2 I think but per
                            testing today works fine now with Firefox 3)

                            --
                            Regards ... Alec (buralex@gmail)
                            Message 13 of 14 , Jun 27, 2008
                              "C. H. Sulka (Digital Technology, Inc.)" wrote:
                              > PUBS\WASHINGTON POST\SMITH\JOHN\20080626\ar2008062603786.txt

                              Youre going to run into trouble here. I have just had to go to some
                              lengths and change a lot of paths to get rid of spaces like in
                              "WASHINGTON POST". Admittedly I couldn't use NoteTab at the time and
                              my tools I use for TeX to embed clickable links in PDF couldn't
                              automatically replace it by %20. Still, it is best to avoid such
                              pitfalls.

                              > I have 3,4, maybe 5 copies of every document I've ever archived.

                              This is just what Windows links <.lnk> are for. You can use Windows'
                              long file name for a short description.

                              > as I'm reading an article, I run a clip that opens a new file,
                              > looks up the full path of the document I was just looking at,
                              > and pastes it in a link I can click on to open the original
                              > document. Before saving the link file I usually would type some
                              > notes or commentary.

                              This assumes several things. For it to work you'd need to be reading
                              the article in NoteTab in the first place. Alright for text, very
                              much less than ideal for HTML and totally impossible for PDF.
                              Secondly you seem to be proposing HTML hyperlinks. So the generated
                              file needs to be opened in a browser - looks like additional
                              overhead to me. As you're not thinking of general file retrieval but
                              just want to have articles relevant to the current project at hand,
                              after having found them by some other means first, I'd suggest your
                              current method is better, with the addition of using links instead
                              of the files themselves.

                              It looks like you have not really thought this through yet. So I
                              repeat my suggestion: Manually create a sample of the finished
                              end-product the way you want it to be. Once you have done that and
                              once you have tried it and are really sure it is what you want and
                              how you want it to be, then we can easily find a way to automate the
                              process.

                              Message 14 of 14 , Jun 27, 2008
                                Alec Burgess wrote:
                                > +1 - totally agree

                                I don't. Writing something up you have a dozen or so sources you
                                need to refer to all the time. Looking them up every time is a
                                bother. I do the same as C.H. myself: I copy all the PDFs and Scans
                                I made into a subfolder of my current project. But then I only work
                                on one thing at a time and when finished I delete that entire
                                subfolder, so duplication and space are of no concern. I also keep
                                everything in a structure somewhat similar to the one C.H. uses.