New Clip Programmer

  • Peter Anderson
    Message 1 of 7 , May 30, 2008
      I have just purchased NoteTab Pro and am in the process of converting
      over my clip libraries from EditPlus format. I have been looking at
      the CHM help files and the PDF user's manual. I still have some basic
      questions that group members might be able to help with.

      Firstly: Is there any additional documentation on Clip programming?

      Secondly: I would like to know a little more about the 'structure' of
      a clip library. For example, what is the meaning/significance of "=
      V5 MultiLine NoSorting TabWidth=30"

      Thirdly: If I use a clip with:

      H="Blank HTML page"
      "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd">
      <head>
      <title>^&</title>
      it works fine so why would I use:
      H="Address"
      ^!InsertHtml <ADDRESS>^P ^&^P</ADDRESS>^P
      i.e. what's the benefit of "InsertHTML"?

      Any help or thoughts would be gratefully appreciated.

      Regards,
      Peter
      Message 2 of 7 , May 30, 2008
        Peter Anderson wrote:
        > Is there any additional documentation on Clip programming?

        I use the "Help on Clip Programming" from the Help Menu and find it
        sufficient. It takes a while to learn how to find stuff quickly and
        sometimes I fail and have to ask here. (Usually it's there, i just
        can't find it.)

        > i.e. what's the benefit of "InsertHTML"?

        It will interpret tokens like the newlines (^P) in your example. It
        will also convert all tags to your chosen case if you have set that
        preference in Options->HTML Files.

        It will take a bit for it all to come naturally, be patient.

        Axel
      • loro
        Message 3 of 7 , May 30, 2008
          At 15:07 2008-05-30, Peter Anderson wrote:
          >Firstly: Is there any additional documentation on Clip programming?

          Mainly these lists, I'd say.

          >Secondly: I would like to know a little more about the 'structure' of
          >a clip library. For example, what is the meaning/significance of "=
          >V5 MultiLine NoSorting TabWidth=30"

          The line tells Notetab use the document is a clip library. Outlines
          have a similarly constructed header.

          >Thirdly: If I use a clip with:
          >
          >^!InsertHtml <ADDRESS>^P ^&^P</ADDRESS>^P
          >i.e. what's the benefit of "InsertHTML"?

          What Axel said. In this case you could just as well use
          ^!InsertText.. Axel mentioned the case conversion, but that's more
          useful if you share clips and ppl have different preferences.

          You may find ^!InsertWizardHtml interesting if you plan to use
          wizards. From Help: "Similar to ^!InsertHtml command, but removes
          attributes that have no value.".

          Lotta
        • Don - HtmlFixIt.com
          Message 4 of 7 , May 30, 2008
            Axel Berger wrote:
            > Peter Anderson wrote:
            >> Is there any additional documentation on Clip programming?
            >
            > I use the "Help on Clip Programming" from the Help Menu and find it
            > sufficient. It takes a while to learn how to find stuff quickly and
            > sometimes I fail and have to ask here. (Usually it's there, i just
            > can't find it.)
            >
            >> i.e. what's the benefit of "InsertHTML"?
            >
            > It will interpret tokens like the newlines (^P) in your example. It
            > will also convert all tags to your chosen case if you have set that
            > preference in Options->HTML Files.
            >
            > It will take a bit for it all to come naturally, be patient.
            >
            > Axel

            Wow, great answer. There is a good resource called the clip tutorial
            written by our departed mentor, Mr. Jody Adair. It's worth working
            through a copy and it was available in a zipped format. It may be a bit
            outdated, but might help get you going. I'm trying to find a copy
            myself at the moment and am left in the void of some of Jody's pages
            that may or may not actually still exist.

            That also found me something I had completely forgotten about: the
            notetab google search engine ...
            http://www.google.com/coop/cse?cx=013892117108660286026%3Any_weckjisy
          • artkns
            Message 5 of 7 , May 31, 2008
              > Wow, great answer. There is a good resource called the clip tutorial
              > written by our departed mentor, Mr. Jody Adair.

              Hello,

              This may be off topic but I haven't been in this group for a number
              of years and just read your post about Jody. I am dismayed. I was
              going to write him and then thought it would be better to not burden
              him if there was another source for support so I rejoined this list.

              When did he pass on? Was it an accident?

              Thanks. He was not only a wonderful tutor but a compassionate and
              generous person. He (obviously), is missed.

              Namaste', Art
            • loro
              Message 6 of 7 , Jun 1, 2008
                Art wrote:
                >This may be off topic but I haven't been in this group for a number
                >of years and just read your post about Jody. I am dismayed. I was
                >going to write him and then thought it would be better to not burden
                >him if there was another source for support so I rejoined this list.
                >
                >When did he pass on? Was it an accident?

                It was early last year. Not an accident, cancer. Very short time from
                when he took ill until he passed away. Eric made a couple of posts
                informing us at the time, beginning here.

                >Thanks. He was not only a wonderful tutor but a compassionate and
                >generous person. He (obviously), is missed.

                Yes, it hasn't been the same since.

                Lotta
              • Art Kocsis
                Message 7 of 7 , Jun 1, 2008
                  Lotta,

                  Thanks for the link. It brought tears to my eyes. So sad.

                  Namaste', Art