Re: [Clip] Re: Is there or can there be a script for article page creation - clarifc

  • Tony Hirtenstein
    Message 1 of 24 , May 7 6:29 AM
      On Tue, 06 May 2008 19:41:55 -0000, "ebbtidalflats" <ebbtidalflats@...> so
      much as wrote:

      ; There isn't any need for thetask manager. Just press
      ; CTRL+ALT when you click OK.

      I tried everything I knew, including pressing CTRL+ALT, and nothing
      stopped the clip. Eventually I closed down NoteTab from the Task Maanger and
      lost half an hour's work.

      I've just tried again, and was able to close the clip only by holding
      Ctrl and Alt down and clicking on the X button or the OK button. Surely this is
      not normal clip behaviour? Simply clicking on the X button made the clip carry
      on as if the OK button had been pressed.

      --

      ******************* A.T.Hirtenstein ****************************
      West Oxfordshire ******************* <tonyh@...>
      Message 2 of 24 , May 7 9:51 AM
        Hi Tony,

        I'm truly sorry that you lost work from running my clip.

        Yes, having to Click OK is the normal behavior, when you use CTRL+ALT.
        The reason is, that the clip is STOPPED while it displays an Info
        window, as it waits for the EVENT of OK or ENTER.

        The clip must be RUNNING for CTRL+ALT to do anything.

        I have used NoteTab so long, that I take a lot of things for granted,
        that may not be known to others. Color me RED.

        So it was with the clip I posted, not thinking, that breaking out of
        an infinite loop that stops for user input isn't old hat to everyone.
        To compound this error, the documentation for CTRL+ALT doesn't explain
        this concept (that the clip must actually be running), at all.

        - - -

        As to losing a half day of work, are you aware of the NoteTab option
        that configures how often NoteTab saves your work automatically?

        Options-->Files tab-->Automatic Save every [10] minutes.

        You can make this every couple of minutes with todays computers.
        HOWEVER, if you couple this autosave with INCREMENTAL backups,
        you might generate a LOT of backup files. !!!!!!!

        Cheers

        eb

        --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, Tony Hirtenstein <tonyh@...> wrote:

        > On Tue, 06 May 2008 19:41:55 -0000, "ebbtidalflats"
        <ebbtidalflats@...> so
        > much as wrote:
        >
        > ; There isn't any need for thetask manager. Just press
        > ; CTRL+ALT when you click OK.
        >
        > I tried everything I knew, including pressing CTRL+ALT, and nothing
        > stopped the clip. Eventually I closed down NoteTab from the Task
        Maanger and
        > lost half an hour's work.
        >
        > I've just tried again, and was able to close the clip only by holding
        > Ctrl and Alt down and clicking on the X button or the OK button.
        Surely this is
        > not normal clip behaviour? Simply clicking on the X button made the
        clip carry
        > on as if the OK button had been pressed.
        >
        > --
        >

        > ******************* A.T.Hirtenstein ****************************
        > West Oxfordshire ******************* <tonyh@...>
        > "If you take refuge in God, He will bring what you need when you
        need it."

      • Tony Hirtenstein
        Message 3 of 24 , May 7 10:11 AM
          On Wed, 07 May 2008 16:51:27 -0000, "ebbtidalflats" <ebbtidalflats@...> so
          much as wrote:

          ; the documentation for CTRL+ALT doesn't explain this concept (that the clip must actually be running), at all.

          My problem in a nutshell. In fact the Help file does not deal with how
          to stop clips at all, unless I have missed something.

          No important work was lost. But I have learned two things in the
          process, one of them being the value of this group!

          --

          ******************* A.T.Hirtenstein ****************************
          West Oxfordshire ******************* <tonyh@...>
          "If you take refuge in God, He will bring what you need when you need it."
        • Jeff Scism
          Message 4 of 24 , May 7 10:37 AM
            The "lost" work may also be stored in your computer as a "temporary"
            file. It sometimes takes work to find them, but they sometimes can be
            salvaged.

            --

            Jeffery G. Scism, IBSSG
            ~~

            "Proponents of each side are vying with determination to prove their ignorance is greater than the other."

            President Andrew Jackson, discussing a bill going through the US Congress.

            Visit http://ibssg.org/
            For The Blacksheep website, MORE...

            Putnam County Indiana Biographies and Obituaries
            http://ingenweb.org/inputnam/bios/

            Montgomery County Indiana Biographies and Obituaries
            http://ingenweb.org/inmontgomery/bios/

            Fountain County Indiana Biographies and Obituaries
            http://ingenweb.org/infountain/vitals/bios/
          • hsavage
            Message 5 of 24 , May 7 12:17 PM
              Tony Hirtenstein wrote:
              > On Wed, 07 May 2008 16:51:27 -0000, "ebbtidalflats"
              <ebbtidalflats@...> so
              > much as wrote:
              >
              > ; the documentation for CTRL+ALT doesn't explain this concept (that
              the clip must actually be running), at all.

              > My problem in a nutshell. In fact the Help file does not deal with how
              > to stop clips at all, unless I have missed something.
              >
              > No important work was lost. But I have learned two things in the
              > process, one of them being the value of this group!

              Tony, ebm

              Goto 'Help On Clip Programming' under Help on the menu bar. Click on
              Index, scroll all the way down looking for 'Stop Clip' and it states the
              following;

              ------
              Useful tip when testing Clip code:

              You can use the "Ctrl+Alt" key combination to stop the execution of a
              Clip (especially useful when stuck in a loop).
              ------

              A running clip is in the process of 'execution' so it does explain the
              clip must running to stop it with Ctrl+Alt.

              ºvº SL_128 created_2008.05.07_07.29.50

              Newspaper HeadLine...
              • Cold Wave Linked to Temperatures
              € hrs € hsavage € pobox € com
            • Tony Hirtenstein
              Message 6 of 24 , May 7 1:48 PM
                On Wed, 07 May 2008 14:17:44 -0500, hsavage <hsavage@...> so much as
                wrote:

                ; Useful tip when testing Clip code:
                ; You can use the "Ctrl+Alt" key combination to stop the execution of a
                ; Clip (especially useful when stuck in a loop).
                ; A running clip is in the process of 'execution' so it does explain the
                ; clip must running to stop it with Ctrl+Alt.

                Thanks for this pointer: I was looking in the wrong part of the Help!
                But we have now established (which was new to this brain cell) that some clips
                require a mouse click to stop them in addition to pressing Ctrl Alt.

                Message 7 of 24 , May 8 6:24 AM

                  > ------
                  > Useful tip when testing Clip code:
                  >
                  > You can use the "Ctrl+Alt" key combination to stop the execution of a
                  > Clip (especially useful when stuck in a loop).
                  > ------
                  >
                  > A running clip is in the process of 'execution' so it does explain the
                  > clip must running to stop it with Ctrl+Alt.

                  Hrs,

                  On the one hand I must say, the help you cite is on the ambiguous
                  side, when it comes to covering clips "running but waiting" for something.

                  A clip that has started, and not yet finished, is still running in my
                  book (which should have ocurred to me when I wrote that clip with the
                  endless loop).

                  What is key is, that the clip isn't executing a CLIP command, while
                  waiting for input. CTRL+ALT stops a CLIP command, if the keys are
                  pressed, when the clip command executes. <he,he>The clip is running
                  but not executing</he,he>.

                  On the other hand, I'd like to point out, that NoteTab's help is FAR
                  SUPERIOR to most other software. It doesn't simply echo the phrases
                  you would like help to elaborate on.

                  Cheers,

                  Eb