Re: [Clip] Re: Is there or can there be a script for article page creation - clarifc

  • Tony Hirtenstein
    Message 1 of 24 , May 5, 2008
      On Sun, 04 May 2008 23:20:32 -0000, "ebbtidalflats" <ebbtidalflats@...> so
      much as wrote:

      ; I've included a clip that sets an array with about 100 one-liners,
      ; that are called at random. Sorry, but the line setting the array is
      ; over 5000 characters long.
      ;
      ; On the other hand, the clip is only six lines long <g>.
      ;
      ;
      ; You should be abble to just JOIN the long line back into shape -- an
      ; extra space or two shouldn't matter in the strings.

      Ahem,
      I tried this clip and could not exit from it without using the Task
      Manager!!

      --

      ******************* A.T.Hirtenstein ****************************
      West Oxfordshire ******************* <tonyh@...>
      Message 2 of 24 , May 6, 2008
        --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, Tony Hirtenstein <tonyh@...> wrote:

        > On Sun, 04 May 2008 23:20:32 -0000, "ebbtidalflats"
        <ebbtidalflats@...> so
        > much as wrote:
        > Ahem,
        > I tried this clip and could not exit from it without using the Task
        > Manager!!

        Sorry about that.

        There isn't any need for thetask manager. Just press

        CTRL+ALT when you click OK.

        I shouldda mentioned that, or maybe left an exit.

        Cheers

        Eb
      • ebbtidalflats
        Message 3 of 24 , May 6, 2008
          --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, "Dave" <dmc43959@...> wrote:

          > Hi
          > I tried this out 5000 is to big nts wraps at 3065 characters before
          anywhere
          > near the end ,the saying need to be in a text file and do a random
          read ?

          Very interesting. Which version NoteTab are you using?
          I never tested this with anything but NTPro.

          I just copied the clipp from YOUR post, popped it into a library,
          selected the LOOOONG line, and JOINED it (CTRL+J)

          Worked without any error messages.

          However, here is a different, MUCH smaller version, that still
          illustrates the concept, but without the laughs 8-(

          H="Random Notes"
          ^!SetListDelimiter |
          ;set data array (EXTMELY long line -- 5000 + characters)
          ^!SetArray %Suprise%=ONE|too|three|for|fife|sex|say when|ate|nyen|ten
          ;end set data array
          ^!Set %max%=^%Suprise0%
          ^!Set %x%=^$Calc(int(RND(^%max%)+1))$
          ^!Set %temp%=^$StrReplace("==";"^%nl% ";"^%suprise^%x%";1;0)$
          ^!Info ^%temp%
          ^!Continue
          ^!Goto SKIP_-4

          That should choke any version of NoteTab

          Cheers,

          Eb
        • Tony Hirtenstein
          Message 4 of 24 , May 7, 2008
            On Tue, 06 May 2008 19:41:55 -0000, "ebbtidalflats" <ebbtidalflats@...> so
            much as wrote:

            ; There isn't any need for thetask manager. Just press
            ; CTRL+ALT when you click OK.

            I tried everything I knew, including pressing CTRL+ALT, and nothing
            stopped the clip. Eventually I closed down NoteTab from the Task Maanger and
            lost half an hour's work.

            I've just tried again, and was able to close the clip only by holding
            Ctrl and Alt down and clicking on the X button or the OK button. Surely this is
            not normal clip behaviour? Simply clicking on the X button made the clip carry
            on as if the OK button had been pressed.

            Message 5 of 24 , May 7, 2008
              Hi Tony,

              I'm truly sorry that you lost work from running my clip.

              Yes, having to Click OK is the normal behavior, when you use CTRL+ALT.
              The reason is, that the clip is STOPPED while it displays an Info
              window, as it waits for the EVENT of OK or ENTER.

              The clip must be RUNNING for CTRL+ALT to do anything.

              I have used NoteTab so long, that I take a lot of things for granted,
              that may not be known to others. Color me RED.

              So it was with the clip I posted, not thinking, that breaking out of
              an infinite loop that stops for user input isn't old hat to everyone.
              To compound this error, the documentation for CTRL+ALT doesn't explain
              this concept (that the clip must actually be running), at all.

              - - -

              As to losing a half day of work, are you aware of the NoteTab option
              that configures how often NoteTab saves your work automatically?

              Options-->Files tab-->Automatic Save every [10] minutes.

              You can make this every couple of minutes with todays computers.
              HOWEVER, if you couple this autosave with INCREMENTAL backups,
              you might generate a LOT of backup files. !!!!!!!

              Cheers

              eb

              --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, Tony Hirtenstein <tonyh@...> wrote:

              > On Tue, 06 May 2008 19:41:55 -0000, "ebbtidalflats"
              <ebbtidalflats@...> so
              > much as wrote:
              >
              > ; There isn't any need for thetask manager. Just press
              > ; CTRL+ALT when you click OK.
              >
              > I tried everything I knew, including pressing CTRL+ALT, and nothing
              > stopped the clip. Eventually I closed down NoteTab from the Task
              Maanger and
              > lost half an hour's work.
              >
              > I've just tried again, and was able to close the clip only by holding
              > Ctrl and Alt down and clicking on the X button or the OK button.
              Surely this is
              > not normal clip behaviour? Simply clicking on the X button made the
              clip carry
              > on as if the OK button had been pressed.
              >
              > --
              >

              > ******************* A.T.Hirtenstein ****************************
              > West Oxfordshire ******************* <tonyh@...>
              > "If you take refuge in God, He will bring what you need when you
              need it."

            • Tony Hirtenstein
              Message 6 of 24 , May 7, 2008
                On Wed, 07 May 2008 16:51:27 -0000, "ebbtidalflats" <ebbtidalflats@...> so
                much as wrote:

                ; the documentation for CTRL+ALT doesn't explain this concept (that the clip must actually be running), at all.

                My problem in a nutshell. In fact the Help file does not deal with how
                to stop clips at all, unless I have missed something.

                No important work was lost. But I have learned two things in the
                process, one of them being the value of this group!

                --

                ******************* A.T.Hirtenstein ****************************
                West Oxfordshire ******************* <tonyh@...>
                "If you take refuge in God, He will bring what you need when you need it."
              • Jeff Scism
                Message 7 of 24 , May 7, 2008
                  The "lost" work may also be stored in your computer as a "temporary"
                  file. It sometimes takes work to find them, but they sometimes can be
                  salvaged.

                  --

                  Jeffery G. Scism, IBSSG
                  ~~

                  "Proponents of each side are vying with determination to prove their ignorance is greater than the other."

                  President Andrew Jackson, discussing a bill going through the US Congress.

                  Visit http://ibssg.org/
                  For The Blacksheep website, MORE...

                  Putnam County Indiana Biographies and Obituaries
                  http://ingenweb.org/inputnam/bios/

                  Montgomery County Indiana Biographies and Obituaries
                  http://ingenweb.org/inmontgomery/bios/

                  Fountain County Indiana Biographies and Obituaries
                  http://ingenweb.org/infountain/vitals/bios/
                • hsavage
                  Message 8 of 24 , May 7, 2008
                    Tony Hirtenstein wrote:
                    > On Wed, 07 May 2008 16:51:27 -0000, "ebbtidalflats"
                    <ebbtidalflats@...> so
                    > much as wrote:
                    >
                    > ; the documentation for CTRL+ALT doesn't explain this concept (that
                    the clip must actually be running), at all.

                    > My problem in a nutshell. In fact the Help file does not deal with how
                    > to stop clips at all, unless I have missed something.
                    >
                    > No important work was lost. But I have learned two things in the
                    > process, one of them being the value of this group!

                    Tony, ebm

                    Goto 'Help On Clip Programming' under Help on the menu bar. Click on
                    Index, scroll all the way down looking for 'Stop Clip' and it states the
                    following;

                    ------
                    Useful tip when testing Clip code:

                    You can use the "Ctrl+Alt" key combination to stop the execution of a
                    Clip (especially useful when stuck in a loop).
                    ------

                    A running clip is in the process of 'execution' so it does explain the
                    clip must running to stop it with Ctrl+Alt.

                    ºvº SL_128 created_2008.05.07_07.29.50

                    Newspaper HeadLine...
                    • Cold Wave Linked to Temperatures
                    € hrs € hsavage € pobox € com
                  • Tony Hirtenstein
                    Message 9 of 24 , May 7, 2008
                      On Wed, 07 May 2008 14:17:44 -0500, hsavage <hsavage@...> so much as
                      wrote:

                      ; Useful tip when testing Clip code:
                      ; You can use the "Ctrl+Alt" key combination to stop the execution of a
                      ; Clip (especially useful when stuck in a loop).
                      ; A running clip is in the process of 'execution' so it does explain the
                      ; clip must running to stop it with Ctrl+Alt.

                      Thanks for this pointer: I was looking in the wrong part of the Help!
                      But we have now established (which was new to this brain cell) that some clips
                      require a mouse click to stop them in addition to pressing Ctrl Alt.

                      Message 10 of 24 , May 8, 2008

                        > ------
                        > Useful tip when testing Clip code:
                        >
                        > You can use the "Ctrl+Alt" key combination to stop the execution of a
                        > Clip (especially useful when stuck in a loop).
                        > ------
                        >
                        > A running clip is in the process of 'execution' so it does explain the
                        > clip must running to stop it with Ctrl+Alt.

                        Hrs,

                        On the one hand I must say, the help you cite is on the ambiguous
                        side, when it comes to covering clips "running but waiting" for something.

                        A clip that has started, and not yet finished, is still running in my
                        book (which should have ocurred to me when I wrote that clip with the
                        endless loop).

                        What is key is, that the clip isn't executing a CLIP command, while
                        waiting for input. CTRL+ALT stops a CLIP command, if the keys are
                        pressed, when the clip command executes. <he,he>The clip is running
                        but not executing</he,he>.

                        On the other hand, I'd like to point out, that NoteTab's help is FAR
                        SUPERIOR to most other software. It doesn't simply echo the phrases
                        you would like help to elaborate on.

                        Cheers,

                        Eb