[Clip] Re: Is there or can there be a script for article page creation - clarifc

  • ebbtidalflats
    Message 1 of 24 , May 4, 2008
      Axel,

      NoteTab's random "rnd(x)" will generate a random number between 0 and
      (x-1), good enough for most non-mathematical purposes.

      I've included a clip that sets an array with about 100 one-liners,
      that are called at random. Sorry, but the line setting the array is
      over 5000 characters long.

      On the other hand, the clip is only six lines long <g>.

      You should be abble to just JOIN the long line back into shape -- an
      extra space or two shouldn't matter in the strings.

      Cheers,

      Eb

      H="What You Say"
      ^!SetListDelimiter |
      ;set data array (EXTMELY long line -- 5000 + characters)
      ^!SetArray %Suprise%=Index too small error|2 + 2 = 5 (for extremely
      large values of 2). |Alcohol is a slow killer==So I guess I have a bit
      of time left!.|Alimentary canal, in the northern part of Indiana.
      |All wiyht. Rho sritched mg kegtops awound? |Are you alive only
      because==it's illegal to shoot you? |ASCII stupid question, get a
      stupid ANSI! |Be nice to your kids, they will pick out your nursing
      home. |Better bald than no hair at all. |Blood flows down one leg and
      up the other.|Blood vessels, arteries, vanes and caterpillars. |Body
      by Nautilus, brain by Mattel. |Boldly going nowhere. |Bumper
      sticker:==Honk if you want to see an Uzi fired from a car window!
      |Bumper sticker:==Retiree helping with the Rush Hour!== ==For $10
      bucks I'll help somewhere else. |Chemical symbols for water:==Hot
      water ^TH2O==Cold water^TCO2. |Computers find our faith in
      technology amusing. |Computers only think they are
      intelligent.|Consciousness, That annoying time between naps.
      |Disinformation==is not as good as Datinformation. |Does fuzzy logic
      tickle? |Don't be sexist - broads hate that. |Don't piss me off!==I'm
      running out of places to hide the bodies. |Dual-core Pentium
      Wordprocessor==for typists, who can type 2,500 words a minute. |Enter
      any 11-digit prime number to continue... |Ethernet==used to catch the
      etherbunny |Ever stop to think==and forget to start again? |Everyone
      wants to get back to nature.==As long as they can get there by car
      (don't have to walk). |Excuse me for butting in, but I'm
      interrupt-driven. |First aid for asphyxiation==apply artificial
      respiration to patient until dead. |Friends help you move.==Real
      friends help you move bodies. |Hard work pays off in the
      future.==Laziness pays off immediately. |Heart Attacks are God's
      Revenge==for Eating His Animal Friends. |I have the solution.==What's
      the problem? |I need someone really bad==are you really bad? |I tried
      to reach my inner self, but nobody answered. |I used to have a handle
      on life, but it broke. |If God didn't want us to drink beer,==why did
      he salt so much of our water?! |If God doesn't want the Mormons to
      drink beer,==why did he salt their lake? |If you lived in your car,
      you'd be home by now. |Imagine a war and CNN is broken!|IRS
      Motto==We've got what it takes to take what you've got. |Jalapeños are
      to Fine Food==what bulldozers are to tuck pointing.==Use them VERY
      carefully. |Jalapeños are to Fine Food==what hammers are to back rubs.
      |Jalapeños are to Fine Food==what sledge hammers are to roofing nails.
      |Jalapeños are to Fine Food==what steam rollers are to cracking nuts.
      |Just because the moon is lit up at night==does not mean anyone is
      home. |Mainframe, a very large PC peripheral. |Microsoft software
      never has bugs.==It just develops random features. |Most dangerous
      animal in the world:==A Chihuahua with an Uzi. |My wife says, all men
      are idiots.==She married one. What does that make her?|My work is so
      secret that==even I don't know what I do, or why. |My work is so
      secret that==I'll have to kill you for reading this: |My work is so
      secret that==I am not cleared to read my own report. |My work is so
      secret that==my computer has no I/O. |My work is so secret that==my
      office has no doors or windows. |My work is so secret that==nobody has
      a security clearance high enough to clear me. |Natural stupidity is
      better than artificial intelligence. |One thing you know about a
      well-dressed man==His wife has good taste in clothes. |Out of my mind
      ... Back in five minutes. |Pentiums calculate faster than early
      CPUs,==then they wait,==but early CPUs can wait just as fast.|Phillips
      Screwdriver==Vodka in Milk of Magnesia. |Pile Driver==Vodka and Prune
      Juice. |POWER FOOD==Stewed Prunes! |Press <CTRL>-<ALT>-<DEL> to
      continue ... |Press any key ... no, No, NO, NOT THAT ONE! |Press any
      key to continue, any other key to quit ... |Progress is
      important==Direction is irrelevant. |RAM disk is *not* an installation
      procedure. |Respiration==50% inspiration==50% expectoration.
      |Super-saturated solution==holds more than it can hold. |The trouble
      with doing nothing is==you never know when you're done. |Ultimate
      office automation==networked coffee. |Upgrade to NoteTab 5.+==You get
      a better grade of bugs. |WANTED: Meaningful overnight relationship.
      |WARNING! Driver only carries $20's worth of ammunition |Water =
      Oxygin + Hydrogin==Oxygin: pure gin==Hydrogin: gin + water. |When
      asked, "Do I look stupid?"==I always hesitate.|Who's General Failure &
      why was he reading my disk? |Why do cowboys squat on their spurs?==to
      stay awake. |Windows error==Access denied--nah nah na nah nah!
      |Windows error==Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted. |Windows
      error==CONGRESS.SYS Corrupted:==Re-boot Washington D.C (Y=n)? |Windows
      error==Keyboard error. Press F1 to continue. |Windows
      error==SENILE.COM out of Memory ... |Windows secret==100% file
      compression: "DEL *.*" |Windows secret==add BUGS=OFF to your
      CONFIG.SYS |Windows secret==Add DEVICE=FNGRCROS.SYS to CONFIG.SYS
      |Windows==Just another pane in the glass. |Work is the main cause of
      work-related injuries. |I hear voices==You're jealous because they're
      not talking to you! |You're NOT useless!==You can serve as a bad
      example. |You're unique== ... Just like everyone else. |You are
      depriving some poor village of its IDIOT |Your diet isn't
      working.|Your gene pool needs a little chlorine. |Your IQ test results
      were negative.|Index too large error
      ;end set data array
      ^!Set %x%=^$Calc(int(RND(100)+1))$
      ^!Set %temp%=^$StrReplace("==";"^%nl% ";"^%suprise^%x%";1;0)$
      ^!Info [L]^%temp%
      ^!Goto SKIP_-3
    • Dave
      Message 2 of 24 , May 5, 2008
        Hi
        I tried this out 5000 is to big nts wraps at 3065 characters before anywhere
        near the end ,the saying need to be in a text file and do a random read ?
        THANKYOU DAVE M

> [...]

        error==Keyboard error. Press F1 to continue. |Windows
        error==SENILE.COM out of Memory ... |Windows secret==100% file
        compression: "DEL *.*" |Windows secret==add BUGS=OFF to your
        CONFIG.SYS |Windows secret==Add DEVICE=FNGRCROS.SYS to CONFIG.SYS
        |Windows==Just another pane in the glass. |Work is the main cause of
        work-related injuries. |I hear voices==You're jealous because they're
        not talking to you! |You're NOT useless!==You can serve as a bad
        example. |You're unique== ... Just like everyone else. |You are
        depriving some poor village of its IDIOT |Your diet isn't
        working.|Your gene pool needs a little chlorine. |Your IQ test results
        were negative.|Index too large error
        ;end set data array
        ^!Set %x%=^$Calc(int(RND(100)+1))$
        ^!Set %temp%=^$StrReplace("==";"^%nl% ";"^%suprise^%x%";1;0)$

      • hsavage
        Message 3 of 24 , May 5, 2008
          Dave wrote:
          > Hi
          > I tried this out 5000 is to big nts wraps at 3065 characters before
          anywhere
          > near the end ,the saying need to be in a text file and do a random read ?
          > THANKYOU DAVE M

          Dave, All,

          It's true Standards maximum line length seems to be just over 3,000
          characters but that doesn't have an effect on setting the ^%suprise%
          variable.

          If you add the following 3 lines to the clip just below the array the
          entire variable will be copied to another temp file.

          ^!ToolBar New Document
          ^!InsertText ^%suprise%
          ^!GoTo End

          ºvº SL_126 created_2008.05.05_08.00.55

          Newspaper HeadLine...
          • British Union Finds Dwarfs in Short Supply
          € hrs € hsavage € pobox € com
        • Tony Hirtenstein
          Message 4 of 24 , May 5, 2008

            ;
            ; On the other hand, the clip is only six lines long <g>.
            ;
            ;
            ; You should be abble to just JOIN the long line back into shape -- an
            ; extra space or two shouldn't matter in the strings.

            Ahem,
            I tried this clip and could not exit from it without using the Task
            Manager!!

            --

            ******************* A.T.Hirtenstein ****************************
            West Oxfordshire ******************* <tonyh@...>
            Message 5 of 24 , May 6, 2008
              --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, Tony Hirtenstein <tonyh@...> wrote:

              > On Sun, 04 May 2008 23:20:32 -0000, "ebbtidalflats"
              <ebbtidalflats@...> so
              > much as wrote:
              > Ahem,
              > I tried this clip and could not exit from it without using the Task
              > Manager!!

              Sorry about that.

              There isn't any need for thetask manager. Just press

              CTRL+ALT when you click OK.

              I shouldda mentioned that, or maybe left an exit.

              Cheers

              Eb
            • ebbtidalflats
              Message 6 of 24 , May 6, 2008
                --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, "Dave" <dmc43959@...> wrote:

                > Hi
                > I tried this out 5000 is to big nts wraps at 3065 characters before
                anywhere
                > near the end ,the saying need to be in a text file and do a random
                read ?

                Very interesting. Which version NoteTab are you using?
                I never tested this with anything but NTPro.

                I just copied the clipp from YOUR post, popped it into a library,
                selected the LOOOONG line, and JOINED it (CTRL+J)

                Worked without any error messages.

                However, here is a different, MUCH smaller version, that still
                illustrates the concept, but without the laughs 8-(

                H="Random Notes"
                ^!SetListDelimiter |
                ;set data array (EXTMELY long line -- 5000 + characters)
                ^!SetArray %Suprise%=ONE|too|three|for|fife|sex|say when|ate|nyen|ten
                ;end set data array
                ^!Set %max%=^%Suprise0%
                ^!Set %x%=^$Calc(int(RND(^%max%)+1))$
                ^!Set %temp%=^$StrReplace("==";"^%nl% ";"^%suprise^%x%";1;0)$
                ^!Info ^%temp%
                ^!Continue
                ^!Goto SKIP_-4

                That should choke any version of NoteTab

                Cheers,

                Eb
              • Tony Hirtenstein
                Message 7 of 24 , May 7, 2008
                  On Tue, 06 May 2008 19:41:55 -0000, "ebbtidalflats" <ebbtidalflats@...> so
                  much as wrote:

                  ; There isn't any need for thetask manager. Just press
                  ; CTRL+ALT when you click OK.

                  I tried everything I knew, including pressing CTRL+ALT, and nothing
                  stopped the clip. Eventually I closed down NoteTab from the Task Maanger and
                  lost half an hour's work.

                  I've just tried again, and was able to close the clip only by holding
                  Ctrl and Alt down and clicking on the X button or the OK button. Surely this is
                  not normal clip behaviour? Simply clicking on the X button made the clip carry
                  on as if the OK button had been pressed.

                  Message 8 of 24 , May 7, 2008
                    Hi Tony,

                    I'm truly sorry that you lost work from running my clip.

                    Yes, having to Click OK is the normal behavior, when you use CTRL+ALT.
                    The reason is, that the clip is STOPPED while it displays an Info
                    window, as it waits for the EVENT of OK or ENTER.

                    The clip must be RUNNING for CTRL+ALT to do anything.

                    I have used NoteTab so long, that I take a lot of things for granted,
                    that may not be known to others. Color me RED.

                    So it was with the clip I posted, not thinking, that breaking out of
                    an infinite loop that stops for user input isn't old hat to everyone.
                    To compound this error, the documentation for CTRL+ALT doesn't explain
                    this concept (that the clip must actually be running), at all.

                    - - -

                    As to losing a half day of work, are you aware of the NoteTab option
                    that configures how often NoteTab saves your work automatically?

                    Options-->Files tab-->Automatic Save every [10] minutes.

                    You can make this every couple of minutes with todays computers.
                    HOWEVER, if you couple this autosave with INCREMENTAL backups,
                    you might generate a LOT of backup files. !!!!!!!

                    Cheers

                    eb

                    --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, Tony Hirtenstein <tonyh@...> wrote:

                    > On Tue, 06 May 2008 19:41:55 -0000, "ebbtidalflats"
                    <ebbtidalflats@...> so
                    > much as wrote:
                    >
                    > ; There isn't any need for thetask manager. Just press
                    > ; CTRL+ALT when you click OK.
                    >
                    > I tried everything I knew, including pressing CTRL+ALT, and nothing
                    > stopped the clip. Eventually I closed down NoteTab from the Task
                    Maanger and
                    > lost half an hour's work.
                    >
                    > I've just tried again, and was able to close the clip only by holding
                    > Ctrl and Alt down and clicking on the X button or the OK button.
                    Surely this is
                    > not normal clip behaviour? Simply clicking on the X button made the
                    clip carry
                    > on as if the OK button had been pressed.
                    >
                    > --
                    >

                    > ******************* A.T.Hirtenstein ****************************
                    > West Oxfordshire ******************* <tonyh@...>
                    > "If you take refuge in God, He will bring what you need when you
                    need it."

                  • Tony Hirtenstein
                    Message 9 of 24 , May 7, 2008
                      On Wed, 07 May 2008 16:51:27 -0000, "ebbtidalflats" <ebbtidalflats@...> so
                      much as wrote:

                      ; the documentation for CTRL+ALT doesn't explain this concept (that the clip must actually be running), at all.

                      My problem in a nutshell. In fact the Help file does not deal with how
                      to stop clips at all, unless I have missed something.

                      No important work was lost. But I have learned two things in the
                      process, one of them being the value of this group!

                      --

                      ******************* A.T.Hirtenstein ****************************
                      West Oxfordshire ******************* <tonyh@...>
                      "If you take refuge in God, He will bring what you need when you need it."
                    • Jeff Scism
                      Message 10 of 24 , May 7, 2008
                        The "lost" work may also be stored in your computer as a "temporary"
                        file. It sometimes takes work to find them, but they sometimes can be
                        salvaged.

                        --

                        Jeffery G. Scism, IBSSG
                        ~~

                        "Proponents of each side are vying with determination to prove their ignorance is greater than the other."

                        President Andrew Jackson, discussing a bill going through the US Congress.

                        Visit http://ibssg.org/
                        For The Blacksheep website, MORE...

                        Putnam County Indiana Biographies and Obituaries
                        http://ingenweb.org/inputnam/bios/

                        Montgomery County Indiana Biographies and Obituaries
                        http://ingenweb.org/inmontgomery/bios/

                        Fountain County Indiana Biographies and Obituaries
                        http://ingenweb.org/infountain/vitals/bios/
                      • hsavage
                        Message 11 of 24 , May 7, 2008
                          Tony Hirtenstein wrote:
                          > On Wed, 07 May 2008 16:51:27 -0000, "ebbtidalflats"
                          <ebbtidalflats@...> so
                          > much as wrote:
                          >
                          > ; the documentation for CTRL+ALT doesn't explain this concept (that
                          the clip must actually be running), at all.

                          > My problem in a nutshell. In fact the Help file does not deal with how
                          > to stop clips at all, unless I have missed something.
                          >
                          > No important work was lost. But I have learned two things in the
                          > process, one of them being the value of this group!

                          Tony, ebm

                          Goto 'Help On Clip Programming' under Help on the menu bar. Click on
                          Index, scroll all the way down looking for 'Stop Clip' and it states the
                          following;

                          ------
                          Useful tip when testing Clip code:

                          You can use the "Ctrl+Alt" key combination to stop the execution of a
                          Clip (especially useful when stuck in a loop).
                          ------

                          A running clip is in the process of 'execution' so it does explain the
                          clip must running to stop it with Ctrl+Alt.

                          ºvº SL_128 created_2008.05.07_07.29.50

                          Newspaper HeadLine...
                          • Cold Wave Linked to Temperatures
                          € hrs € hsavage € pobox € com
                        • Tony Hirtenstein
                          Message 12 of 24 , May 7, 2008
                            On Wed, 07 May 2008 14:17:44 -0500, hsavage <hsavage@...> so much as
                            wrote:

                            ; Useful tip when testing Clip code:
                            ; You can use the "Ctrl+Alt" key combination to stop the execution of a
                            ; Clip (especially useful when stuck in a loop).
                            ; A running clip is in the process of 'execution' so it does explain the
                            ; clip must running to stop it with Ctrl+Alt.

                            Thanks for this pointer: I was looking in the wrong part of the Help!
                            But we have now established (which was new to this brain cell) that some clips
                            require a mouse click to stop them in addition to pressing Ctrl Alt.

                            Message 13 of 24 , May 8, 2008

                              > ------
                              > Useful tip when testing Clip code:
                              >
                              > You can use the "Ctrl+Alt" key combination to stop the execution of a
                              > Clip (especially useful when stuck in a loop).
                              > ------
                              >
                              > A running clip is in the process of 'execution' so it does explain the
                              > clip must running to stop it with Ctrl+Alt.

                              Hrs,

                              On the one hand I must say, the help you cite is on the ambiguous
                              side, when it comes to covering clips "running but waiting" for something.

                              A clip that has started, and not yet finished, is still running in my
                              book (which should have ocurred to me when I wrote that clip with the
                              endless loop).

                              What is key is, that the clip isn't executing a CLIP command, while
                              waiting for input. CTRL+ALT stops a CLIP command, if the keys are
                              pressed, when the clip command executes. <he,he>The clip is running
                              but not executing</he,he>.

                              On the other hand, I'd like to point out, that NoteTab's help is FAR
                              SUPERIOR to most other software. It doesn't simply echo the phrases
                              you would like help to elaborate on.

                              Cheers,

                              Eb