Re: [Clip] Re: Is there or can there be a script for article page creation - clarifcation

    Message 1 of 24 , May 3, 2008
      Doug Offen wrote:
      > As I assemble each page of content, I want to have notetab
      > automatically add some unique random content like quotes,
      > tips, jokes, banners or ads.

      I think that for that to make sense you really ought to take a look
      at PHP - unless you can be pretty sure that few readers will look at
      the same page more than once. From the top of my head I'm pretty
      sure that PHP does include a random number generator while Notetab
      doesn't.

      Axel
    • buralex@gmail.com
      Message 2 of 24 , May 4, 2008
        Axel Berger <Axel-Berger@...> said on May 04, 2008 1:25 -0400 (in
        part):
        > Doug Offen wrote:
        >
        >> As I assemble each page of content, I want to have notetab
        >> automatically add some unique random content like quotes,
        >> tips, jokes, banners or ads.
        >>

        > I think that for that to make sense you really ought to take a look
        > at PHP - unless you can be pretty sure that few readers will look at
        > the same page more than once. From the top of my head I'm pretty
        > sure that PHP does include a random number generator while Notetab
        > doesn't.
        Axel: Just fyi:
        > ^$StrRandom(Size)$ (added in v4.84)
        >
        > ^$StrRandom(Size[;Characters])$ (added in v4.85)
        >
        > Returns a string of random characters of the specified length. This
        > function can be useful for generating random passwords. Example
        >
        > ^$StrRandom(6)$ = È$q3åî
        > Starting with version 4.85, the StrRandom has been updated to let you
        > optionally define which characters are used in the random string that
        > is generated. The "Characters" parameter represents a string of
        > characters that limits what the function can use in its result. You
        > can define ranges by using "..". For example, A..Z represents all the
        > uppercase letters of the Roman alphabet; A..Za..z0..1 represents all
        > digits and letters of the Roman alphabet. Example:
        >
        > ^$StrRandom(10;A..F0..9)$ --> D744E70176
        It could be the basis of the randomized quote selector Doug is looking
        for, though I agree PHP (which I don't know) would be a better approach
        if he wants a different quote every time user visits (or refreshes the
        page) that Notetab which could only change when the page is uploaded again.

        Regards ... Alec -- buralex-gmail

      • ebbtidalflats
        Message 3 of 24 , May 4, 2008
          --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, "Doug Offen" <yahoo@...> wrote:

          > What I would like to know is if a clip can be made to insert a
          > randomly selected line from a text list of quotes for example.

          Sure,

          create the snippets of tet you want to randomly insert, store them in
          an array (if small enough) or a data file.

          NoteTab has a random function, which you use to generate the INDEX to
          the random data

          ^$Calc(rnd(10) + 1;0)$

          will generate a random number betweeen 1 and 10.

          Use this index as array index, or if your data is in a file, use it as
          ROW index (^$GetField(^%row%;1)$) -- file must be open to be accessed
          that way.

          Cheers,

          eb
        • ebbtidalflats
          Message 4 of 24 , May 4, 2008
            Axel,

            NoteTab's random "rnd(x)" will generate a random number between 0 and
            (x-1), good enough for most non-mathematical purposes.

            I've included a clip that sets an array with about 100 one-liners,
            that are called at random. Sorry, but the line setting the array is
            over 5000 characters long.

            On the other hand, the clip is only six lines long <g>.

            You should be abble to just JOIN the long line back into shape -- an
            extra space or two shouldn't matter in the strings.

            Cheers,

            Eb

            H="What You Say"
            ^!SetListDelimiter |
            ;set data array (EXTMELY long line -- 5000 + characters)
            ^!SetArray %Suprise%=Index too small error|2 + 2 = 5 (for extremely
            large values of 2). |Alcohol is a slow killer==So I guess I have a bit
            of time left!.|Alimentary canal, in the northern part of Indiana.
            |All wiyht. Rho sritched mg kegtops awound? |Are you alive only
            because==it's illegal to shoot you? |ASCII stupid question, get a
            stupid ANSI! |Be nice to your kids, they will pick out your nursing
            home. |Better bald than no hair at all. |Blood flows down one leg and
            up the other.|Blood vessels, arteries, vanes and caterpillars. |Body
            by Nautilus, brain by Mattel. |Boldly going nowhere. |Bumper
            sticker:==Honk if you want to see an Uzi fired from a car window!
            |Bumper sticker:==Retiree helping with the Rush Hour!== ==For $10
            bucks I'll help somewhere else. |Chemical symbols for water:==Hot
            water ^TH2O==Cold water^TCO2. |Computers find our faith in
            technology amusing. |Computers only think they are
            intelligent.|Consciousness, That annoying time between naps.
            |Disinformation==is not as good as Datinformation. |Does fuzzy logic
            tickle? |Don't be sexist - broads hate that. |Don't piss me off!==I'm
            running out of places to hide the bodies. |Dual-core Pentium
            Wordprocessor==for typists, who can type 2,500 words a minute. |Enter
            any 11-digit prime number to continue... |Ethernet==used to catch the
            etherbunny |Ever stop to think==and forget to start again? |Everyone
            wants to get back to nature.==As long as they can get there by car
            (don't have to walk). |Excuse me for butting in, but I'm
            interrupt-driven. |First aid for asphyxiation==apply artificial
            respiration to patient until dead. |Friends help you move.==Real
            friends help you move bodies. |Hard work pays off in the
            future.==Laziness pays off immediately. |Heart Attacks are God's
            Revenge==for Eating His Animal Friends. |I have the solution.==What's
            the problem? |I need someone really bad==are you really bad? |I tried
            to reach my inner self, but nobody answered. |I used to have a handle
            on life, but it broke. |If God didn't want us to drink beer,==why did
            he salt so much of our water?! |If God doesn't want the Mormons to
            drink beer,==why did he salt their lake? |If you lived in your car,
            you'd be home by now. |Imagine a war and CNN is broken!|IRS
            Motto==We've got what it takes to take what you've got. |Jalapeños are
            to Fine Food==what bulldozers are to tuck pointing.==Use them VERY
            carefully. |Jalapeños are to Fine Food==what hammers are to back rubs.
            |Jalapeños are to Fine Food==what sledge hammers are to roofing nails.
            |Jalapeños are to Fine Food==what steam rollers are to cracking nuts.
            |Just because the moon is lit up at night==does not mean anyone is
            home. |Mainframe, a very large PC peripheral. |Microsoft software
            never has bugs.==It just develops random features. |Most dangerous
            animal in the world:==A Chihuahua with an Uzi. |My wife says, all men
            are idiots.==She married one. What does that make her?|My work is so
            secret that==even I don't know what I do, or why. |My work is so
            secret that==I'll have to kill you for reading this: |My work is so
            secret that==I am not cleared to read my own report. |My work is so
            secret that==my computer has no I/O. |My work is so secret that==my
            office has no doors or windows. |My work is so secret that==nobody has
            a security clearance high enough to clear me. |Natural stupidity is
            better than artificial intelligence. |One thing you know about a
            well-dressed man==His wife has good taste in clothes. |Out of my mind
            ... Back in five minutes. |Pentiums calculate faster than early
            CPUs,==then they wait,==but early CPUs can wait just as fast.|Phillips
            Screwdriver==Vodka in Milk of Magnesia. |Pile Driver==Vodka and Prune
            Juice. |POWER FOOD==Stewed Prunes! |Press <CTRL>-<ALT>-<DEL> to
            continue ... |Press any key ... no, No, NO, NOT THAT ONE! |Press any
            key to continue, any other key to quit ... |Progress is
            important==Direction is irrelevant. |RAM disk is *not* an installation
            procedure. |Respiration==50% inspiration==50% expectoration.
            |Super-saturated solution==holds more than it can hold. |The trouble
            with doing nothing is==you never know when you're done. |Ultimate
            office automation==networked coffee. |Upgrade to NoteTab 5.+==You get
            a better grade of bugs. |WANTED: Meaningful overnight relationship.
            |WARNING! Driver only carries $20's worth of ammunition |Water =
            Oxygin + Hydrogin==Oxygin: pure gin==Hydrogin: gin + water. |When
            asked, "Do I look stupid?"==I always hesitate.|Who's General Failure &
            why was he reading my disk? |Why do cowboys squat on their spurs?==to
            stay awake. |Windows error==Access denied--nah nah na nah nah!
            |Windows error==Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted. |Windows
            error==CONGRESS.SYS Corrupted:==Re-boot Washington D.C (Y=n)? |Windows
            error==Keyboard error. Press F1 to continue. |Windows
            error==SENILE.COM out of Memory ... |Windows secret==100% file
            compression: "DEL *.*" |Windows secret==add BUGS=OFF to your
            CONFIG.SYS |Windows secret==Add DEVICE=FNGRCROS.SYS to CONFIG.SYS
            |Windows==Just another pane in the glass. |Work is the main cause of
            work-related injuries. |I hear voices==You're jealous because they're
            not talking to you! |You're NOT useless!==You can serve as a bad
            example. |You're unique== ... Just like everyone else. |You are
            depriving some poor village of its IDIOT |Your diet isn't
            working.|Your gene pool needs a little chlorine. |Your IQ test results
            were negative.|Index too large error
            ;end set data array
            ^!Set %x%=^$Calc(int(RND(100)+1))$
            ^!Set %temp%=^$StrReplace("==";"^%nl% ";"^%suprise^%x%";1;0)$
            ^!Info [L]^%temp%
            ^!Goto SKIP_-3
          • Dave
            Message 5 of 24 , May 5, 2008
              Hi
              I tried this out 5000 is to big nts wraps at 3065 characters before anywhere
              near the end ,the saying need to be in a text file and do a random read ?
              THANKYOU DAVE M

> [...]

              error==Keyboard error. Press F1 to continue. |Windows
              error==SENILE.COM out of Memory ... |Windows secret==100% file
              compression: "DEL *.*" |Windows secret==add BUGS=OFF to your
              CONFIG.SYS |Windows secret==Add DEVICE=FNGRCROS.SYS to CONFIG.SYS
              |Windows==Just another pane in the glass. |Work is the main cause of
              work-related injuries. |I hear voices==You're jealous because they're
              not talking to you! |You're NOT useless!==You can serve as a bad
              example. |You're unique== ... Just like everyone else. |You are
              depriving some poor village of its IDIOT |Your diet isn't
              working.|Your gene pool needs a little chlorine. |Your IQ test results
              were negative.|Index too large error
              ;end set data array
              ^!Set %x%=^$Calc(int(RND(100)+1))$
              ^!Set %temp%=^$StrReplace("==";"^%nl% ";"^%suprise^%x%";1;0)$

            • hsavage
              Message 6 of 24 , May 5, 2008
                Dave wrote:
                > Hi
                > I tried this out 5000 is to big nts wraps at 3065 characters before
                anywhere
                > near the end ,the saying need to be in a text file and do a random read ?
                > THANKYOU DAVE M

                Dave, All,

                It's true Standards maximum line length seems to be just over 3,000
                characters but that doesn't have an effect on setting the ^%suprise%
                variable.

                If you add the following 3 lines to the clip just below the array the
                entire variable will be copied to another temp file.

                ^!ToolBar New Document
                ^!InsertText ^%suprise%
                ^!GoTo End

                ºvº SL_126 created_2008.05.05_08.00.55

                Newspaper HeadLine...
                • British Union Finds Dwarfs in Short Supply
                € hrs € hsavage € pobox € com
              • Tony Hirtenstein
                Message 7 of 24 , May 5, 2008

                  ;
                  ; On the other hand, the clip is only six lines long <g>.
                  ;
                  ;
                  ; You should be abble to just JOIN the long line back into shape -- an
                  ; extra space or two shouldn't matter in the strings.

                  Ahem,
                  I tried this clip and could not exit from it without using the Task
                  Manager!!

                  --

                  ******************* A.T.Hirtenstein ****************************
                  West Oxfordshire ******************* <tonyh@...>
                  Message 8 of 24 , May 6, 2008
                    --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, Tony Hirtenstein <tonyh@...> wrote:

                    > On Sun, 04 May 2008 23:20:32 -0000, "ebbtidalflats"
                    <ebbtidalflats@...> so
                    > much as wrote:
                    > Ahem,
                    > I tried this clip and could not exit from it without using the Task
                    > Manager!!

                    Sorry about that.

                    There isn't any need for thetask manager. Just press

                    CTRL+ALT when you click OK.

                    I shouldda mentioned that, or maybe left an exit.

                    Cheers

                    Eb
                  • ebbtidalflats
                    Message 9 of 24 , May 6, 2008
                      --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, "Dave" <dmc43959@...> wrote:

                      > Hi
                      > I tried this out 5000 is to big nts wraps at 3065 characters before
                      anywhere
                      > near the end ,the saying need to be in a text file and do a random
                      read ?

                      Very interesting. Which version NoteTab are you using?
                      I never tested this with anything but NTPro.

                      I just copied the clipp from YOUR post, popped it into a library,
                      selected the LOOOONG line, and JOINED it (CTRL+J)

                      Worked without any error messages.

                      However, here is a different, MUCH smaller version, that still
                      illustrates the concept, but without the laughs 8-(

                      H="Random Notes"
                      ^!SetListDelimiter |
                      ;set data array (EXTMELY long line -- 5000 + characters)
                      ^!SetArray %Suprise%=ONE|too|three|for|fife|sex|say when|ate|nyen|ten
                      ;end set data array
                      ^!Set %max%=^%Suprise0%
                      ^!Set %x%=^$Calc(int(RND(^%max%)+1))$
                      ^!Set %temp%=^$StrReplace("==";"^%nl% ";"^%suprise^%x%";1;0)$
                      ^!Info ^%temp%
                      ^!Continue
                      ^!Goto SKIP_-4

                      That should choke any version of NoteTab

                      Cheers,

                      Eb
                    • Tony Hirtenstein
                      Message 10 of 24 , May 7, 2008
                        On Tue, 06 May 2008 19:41:55 -0000, "ebbtidalflats" <ebbtidalflats@...> so
                        much as wrote:

                        ; There isn't any need for thetask manager. Just press
                        ; CTRL+ALT when you click OK.

                        I tried everything I knew, including pressing CTRL+ALT, and nothing
                        stopped the clip. Eventually I closed down NoteTab from the Task Maanger and
                        lost half an hour's work.

                        I've just tried again, and was able to close the clip only by holding
                        Ctrl and Alt down and clicking on the X button or the OK button. Surely this is
                        not normal clip behaviour? Simply clicking on the X button made the clip carry
                        on as if the OK button had been pressed.

                        Message 11 of 24 , May 7, 2008
                          Hi Tony,

                          I'm truly sorry that you lost work from running my clip.

                          Yes, having to Click OK is the normal behavior, when you use CTRL+ALT.
                          The reason is, that the clip is STOPPED while it displays an Info
                          window, as it waits for the EVENT of OK or ENTER.

                          The clip must be RUNNING for CTRL+ALT to do anything.

                          I have used NoteTab so long, that I take a lot of things for granted,
                          that may not be known to others. Color me RED.

                          So it was with the clip I posted, not thinking, that breaking out of
                          an infinite loop that stops for user input isn't old hat to everyone.
                          To compound this error, the documentation for CTRL+ALT doesn't explain
                          this concept (that the clip must actually be running), at all.

                          - - -

                          As to losing a half day of work, are you aware of the NoteTab option
                          that configures how often NoteTab saves your work automatically?

                          Options-->Files tab-->Automatic Save every [10] minutes.

                          You can make this every couple of minutes with todays computers.
                          HOWEVER, if you couple this autosave with INCREMENTAL backups,
                          you might generate a LOT of backup files. !!!!!!!

                          Cheers

                          eb

                          --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, Tony Hirtenstein <tonyh@...> wrote:

                          > On Tue, 06 May 2008 19:41:55 -0000, "ebbtidalflats"
                          <ebbtidalflats@...> so
                          > much as wrote:
                          >
                          > ; There isn't any need for thetask manager. Just press
                          > ; CTRL+ALT when you click OK.
                          >
                          > I tried everything I knew, including pressing CTRL+ALT, and nothing
                          > stopped the clip. Eventually I closed down NoteTab from the Task
                          Maanger and
                          > lost half an hour's work.
                          >
                          > I've just tried again, and was able to close the clip only by holding
                          > Ctrl and Alt down and clicking on the X button or the OK button.
                          Surely this is
                          > not normal clip behaviour? Simply clicking on the X button made the
                          clip carry
                          > on as if the OK button had been pressed.
                          >
                          > --
                          >

                          > ******************* A.T.Hirtenstein ****************************
                          > West Oxfordshire ******************* <tonyh@...>
                          > "If you take refuge in God, He will bring what you need when you
                          need it."

                        • Tony Hirtenstein
                          Message 12 of 24 , May 7, 2008
                            On Wed, 07 May 2008 16:51:27 -0000, "ebbtidalflats" <ebbtidalflats@...> so
                            much as wrote:

                            ; the documentation for CTRL+ALT doesn't explain this concept (that the clip must actually be running), at all.

                            My problem in a nutshell. In fact the Help file does not deal with how
                            to stop clips at all, unless I have missed something.

                            No important work was lost. But I have learned two things in the
                            process, one of them being the value of this group!

                            --

                            ******************* A.T.Hirtenstein ****************************
                            West Oxfordshire ******************* <tonyh@...>
                            "If you take refuge in God, He will bring what you need when you need it."
                          • Jeff Scism
                            Message 13 of 24 , May 7, 2008
                              The "lost" work may also be stored in your computer as a "temporary"
                              file. It sometimes takes work to find them, but they sometimes can be
                              salvaged.

                              --

                              Jeffery G. Scism, IBSSG
                              ~~

                              "Proponents of each side are vying with determination to prove their ignorance is greater than the other."

                              President Andrew Jackson, discussing a bill going through the US Congress.

                              Visit http://ibssg.org/
                              For The Blacksheep website, MORE...

                              Putnam County Indiana Biographies and Obituaries
                              http://ingenweb.org/inputnam/bios/

                              Montgomery County Indiana Biographies and Obituaries
                              http://ingenweb.org/inmontgomery/bios/

                              Fountain County Indiana Biographies and Obituaries
                              http://ingenweb.org/infountain/vitals/bios/
                            • hsavage
                              Message 14 of 24 , May 7, 2008
                                Tony Hirtenstein wrote:
                                > On Wed, 07 May 2008 16:51:27 -0000, "ebbtidalflats"
                                <ebbtidalflats@...> so
                                > much as wrote:
                                >
                                > ; the documentation for CTRL+ALT doesn't explain this concept (that
                                the clip must actually be running), at all.

                                > My problem in a nutshell. In fact the Help file does not deal with how
                                > to stop clips at all, unless I have missed something.
                                >
                                > No important work was lost. But I have learned two things in the
                                > process, one of them being the value of this group!

                                Tony, ebm

                                Goto 'Help On Clip Programming' under Help on the menu bar. Click on
                                Index, scroll all the way down looking for 'Stop Clip' and it states the
                                following;

                                ------
                                Useful tip when testing Clip code:

                                You can use the "Ctrl+Alt" key combination to stop the execution of a
                                Clip (especially useful when stuck in a loop).
                                ------

                                A running clip is in the process of 'execution' so it does explain the
                                clip must running to stop it with Ctrl+Alt.

                                ºvº SL_128 created_2008.05.07_07.29.50

                                Newspaper HeadLine...
                                • Cold Wave Linked to Temperatures
                                € hrs € hsavage € pobox € com
                              • Tony Hirtenstein
                                Message 15 of 24 , May 7, 2008
                                  On Wed, 07 May 2008 14:17:44 -0500, hsavage <hsavage@...> so much as
                                  wrote:

                                  ; Useful tip when testing Clip code:
                                  ; You can use the "Ctrl+Alt" key combination to stop the execution of a
                                  ; Clip (especially useful when stuck in a loop).
                                  ; A running clip is in the process of 'execution' so it does explain the
                                  ; clip must running to stop it with Ctrl+Alt.

                                  Thanks for this pointer: I was looking in the wrong part of the Help!
                                  But we have now established (which was new to this brain cell) that some clips
                                  require a mouse click to stop them in addition to pressing Ctrl Alt.

                                  Message 16 of 24 , May 8, 2008

                                    > ------
                                    > Useful tip when testing Clip code:
                                    >
                                    > You can use the "Ctrl+Alt" key combination to stop the execution of a
                                    > Clip (especially useful when stuck in a loop).
                                    > ------
                                    >
                                    > A running clip is in the process of 'execution' so it does explain the
                                    > clip must running to stop it with Ctrl+Alt.

                                    Hrs,

                                    On the one hand I must say, the help you cite is on the ambiguous
                                    side, when it comes to covering clips "running but waiting" for something.

                                    A clip that has started, and not yet finished, is still running in my
                                    book (which should have ocurred to me when I wrote that clip with the
                                    endless loop).

                                    What is key is, that the clip isn't executing a CLIP command, while
                                    waiting for input. CTRL+ALT stops a CLIP command, if the keys are
                                    pressed, when the clip command executes. <he,he>The clip is running
                                    but not executing</he,he>.

                                    On the other hand, I'd like to point out, that NoteTab's help is FAR
                                    SUPERIOR to most other software. It doesn't simply echo the phrases
                                    you would like help to elaborate on.

                                    Cheers,

                                    Eb