Re: Is there or can there be a script for article page creation - clarifcation

  • Doug Offen
    Message 1 of 24 , May 3, 2008
      Thanks for the responses everyone. I, up 'till now have found no
      pressing need to upgrade notetab to 5.? From reading the comments on
      the forums, it meant some clips wouldn't work and there were some
      problems with 5. 4.96 works well for me and I never upgraded.

      I know I can design an html page template and insert text body fairly
      easily. All the layout and looks would be the same but the content
      would be different.

      As I assemble each page of content, I want to have notetab
      automatically add some unique random content like quotes, tips, jokes,
      banners or ads. I mention wordpress as an alternative because it has a
      simple widget to insert a random quote from a simple list file. There
      are banner rotators too. These are done using php or some other script
      includes.

      What I would like to know is if a clip can be made to insert a
      randomly selected line from a text list of quotes for example. Instead
      of always creating a page from a bunch of includes commands like
      wordpress does, I wanted to have notetab assemble basically static
      html files with the randomness created within notetab. Instead of
      having many little php files that are put together when a page is
      called, there would be just one complete static html page called from
      a series of static pages.

      Instead of uploading all the parts in a wordpress install and
      depending on mysql, I would upload the notetab assembled individual
      html files only. they wouldn't be dynamic but they would have a
      certain amount of randomness built into them along with the major
      content for each page.

      This is really hard to explain and I see it being a pretty useless
      exercise.

      Thanks for giving it a go and have a good weekend.

      Doug Offen
      Message 2 of 24 , May 3, 2008
        Doug Offen wrote:
        > As I assemble each page of content, I want to have notetab
        > automatically add some unique random content like quotes,
        > tips, jokes, banners or ads.

        I think that for that to make sense you really ought to take a look
        at PHP - unless you can be pretty sure that few readers will look at
        the same page more than once. From the top of my head I'm pretty
        sure that PHP does include a random number generator while Notetab
        doesn't.

        Axel
      • buralex@gmail.com
        Message 3 of 24 , May 4, 2008
          Axel Berger <Axel-Berger@...> said on May 04, 2008 1:25 -0400 (in
          part):
          > Doug Offen wrote:
          >
          >> As I assemble each page of content, I want to have notetab
          >> automatically add some unique random content like quotes,
          >> tips, jokes, banners or ads.
          >>

          > I think that for that to make sense you really ought to take a look
          > at PHP - unless you can be pretty sure that few readers will look at
          > the same page more than once. From the top of my head I'm pretty
          > sure that PHP does include a random number generator while Notetab
          > doesn't.
          Axel: Just fyi:
          > ^$StrRandom(Size)$ (added in v4.84)
          >
          > ^$StrRandom(Size[;Characters])$ (added in v4.85)
          >
          > Returns a string of random characters of the specified length. This
          > function can be useful for generating random passwords. Example
          >
          > ^$StrRandom(6)$ = È$q3åî
          > Starting with version 4.85, the StrRandom has been updated to let you
          > optionally define which characters are used in the random string that
          > is generated. The "Characters" parameter represents a string of
          > characters that limits what the function can use in its result. You
          > can define ranges by using "..". For example, A..Z represents all the
          > uppercase letters of the Roman alphabet; A..Za..z0..1 represents all
          > digits and letters of the Roman alphabet. Example:
          >
          > ^$StrRandom(10;A..F0..9)$ --> D744E70176
          It could be the basis of the randomized quote selector Doug is looking
          for, though I agree PHP (which I don't know) would be a better approach
          if he wants a different quote every time user visits (or refreshes the
          page) that Notetab which could only change when the page is uploaded again.

          Regards ... Alec -- buralex-gmail

        • ebbtidalflats
          Message 4 of 24 , May 4, 2008
            --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, "Doug Offen" <yahoo@...> wrote:

            > What I would like to know is if a clip can be made to insert a
            > randomly selected line from a text list of quotes for example.

            Sure,

            create the snippets of tet you want to randomly insert, store them in
            an array (if small enough) or a data file.

            NoteTab has a random function, which you use to generate the INDEX to
            the random data

            ^$Calc(rnd(10) + 1;0)$

            will generate a random number betweeen 1 and 10.

            Use this index as array index, or if your data is in a file, use it as
            ROW index (^$GetField(^%row%;1)$) -- file must be open to be accessed
            that way.

            Cheers,

            eb
          • ebbtidalflats
            Message 5 of 24 , May 4, 2008
              Axel,

              NoteTab's random "rnd(x)" will generate a random number between 0 and
              (x-1), good enough for most non-mathematical purposes.

              I've included a clip that sets an array with about 100 one-liners,
              that are called at random. Sorry, but the line setting the array is
              over 5000 characters long.

              On the other hand, the clip is only six lines long <g>.

              You should be abble to just JOIN the long line back into shape -- an
              extra space or two shouldn't matter in the strings.

              Cheers,

              Eb

              H="What You Say"
              ^!SetListDelimiter |
              ;set data array (EXTMELY long line -- 5000 + characters)
              ^!SetArray %Suprise%=Index too small error|2 + 2 = 5 (for extremely
              large values of 2). |Alcohol is a slow killer==So I guess I have a bit
              of time left!.|Alimentary canal, in the northern part of Indiana.
              |All wiyht. Rho sritched mg kegtops awound? |Are you alive only
              because==it's illegal to shoot you? |ASCII stupid question, get a
              stupid ANSI! |Be nice to your kids, they will pick out your nursing
              home. |Better bald than no hair at all. |Blood flows down one leg and
              up the other.|Blood vessels, arteries, vanes and caterpillars. |Body
              by Nautilus, brain by Mattel. |Boldly going nowhere. |Bumper
              sticker:==Honk if you want to see an Uzi fired from a car window!
              |Bumper sticker:==Retiree helping with the Rush Hour!== ==For $10
              bucks I'll help somewhere else. |Chemical symbols for water:==Hot
              water ^TH2O==Cold water^TCO2. |Computers find our faith in
              technology amusing. |Computers only think they are
              intelligent.|Consciousness, That annoying time between naps.
              |Disinformation==is not as good as Datinformation. |Does fuzzy logic
              tickle? |Don't be sexist - broads hate that. |Don't piss me off!==I'm
              running out of places to hide the bodies. |Dual-core Pentium
              Wordprocessor==for typists, who can type 2,500 words a minute. |Enter
              any 11-digit prime number to continue... |Ethernet==used to catch the
              etherbunny |Ever stop to think==and forget to start again? |Everyone
              wants to get back to nature.==As long as they can get there by car
              (don't have to walk). |Excuse me for butting in, but I'm
              interrupt-driven. |First aid for asphyxiation==apply artificial
              respiration to patient until dead. |Friends help you move.==Real
              friends help you move bodies. |Hard work pays off in the
              future.==Laziness pays off immediately. |Heart Attacks are God's
              Revenge==for Eating His Animal Friends. |I have the solution.==What's
              the problem? |I need someone really bad==are you really bad? |I tried
              to reach my inner self, but nobody answered. |I used to have a handle
              on life, but it broke. |If God didn't want us to drink beer,==why did
              he salt so much of our water?! |If God doesn't want the Mormons to
              drink beer,==why did he salt their lake? |If you lived in your car,
              you'd be home by now. |Imagine a war and CNN is broken!|IRS
              Motto==We've got what it takes to take what you've got. |Jalapeños are
              to Fine Food==what bulldozers are to tuck pointing.==Use them VERY
              carefully. |Jalapeños are to Fine Food==what hammers are to back rubs.
              |Jalapeños are to Fine Food==what sledge hammers are to roofing nails.
              |Jalapeños are to Fine Food==what steam rollers are to cracking nuts.
              |Just because the moon is lit up at night==does not mean anyone is
              home. |Mainframe, a very large PC peripheral. |Microsoft software
              never has bugs.==It just develops random features. |Most dangerous
              animal in the world:==A Chihuahua with an Uzi. |My wife says, all men
              are idiots.==She married one. What does that make her?|My work is so
              secret that==even I don't know what I do, or why. |My work is so
              secret that==I'll have to kill you for reading this: |My work is so
              secret that==I am not cleared to read my own report. |My work is so
              secret that==my computer has no I/O. |My work is so secret that==my
              office has no doors or windows. |My work is so secret that==nobody has
              a security clearance high enough to clear me. |Natural stupidity is
              better than artificial intelligence. |One thing you know about a
              well-dressed man==His wife has good taste in clothes. |Out of my mind
              ... Back in five minutes. |Pentiums calculate faster than early
              CPUs,==then they wait,==but early CPUs can wait just as fast.|Phillips
              Screwdriver==Vodka in Milk of Magnesia. |Pile Driver==Vodka and Prune
              Juice. |POWER FOOD==Stewed Prunes! |Press <CTRL>-<ALT>-<DEL> to
              continue ... |Press any key ... no, No, NO, NOT THAT ONE! |Press any
              key to continue, any other key to quit ... |Progress is
              important==Direction is irrelevant. |RAM disk is *not* an installation
              procedure. |Respiration==50% inspiration==50% expectoration.
              |Super-saturated solution==holds more than it can hold. |The trouble
              with doing nothing is==you never know when you're done. |Ultimate
              office automation==networked coffee. |Upgrade to NoteTab 5.+==You get
              a better grade of bugs. |WANTED: Meaningful overnight relationship.
              |WARNING! Driver only carries $20's worth of ammunition |Water =
              Oxygin + Hydrogin==Oxygin: pure gin==Hydrogin: gin + water. |When
              asked, "Do I look stupid?"==I always hesitate.|Who's General Failure &
              why was he reading my disk? |Why do cowboys squat on their spurs?==to
              stay awake. |Windows error==Access denied--nah nah na nah nah!
              |Windows error==Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted. |Windows
              error==CONGRESS.SYS Corrupted:==Re-boot Washington D.C (Y=n)? |Windows
              error==Keyboard error. Press F1 to continue. |Windows
              error==SENILE.COM out of Memory ... |Windows secret==100% file
              compression: "DEL *.*" |Windows secret==add BUGS=OFF to your
              CONFIG.SYS |Windows secret==Add DEVICE=FNGRCROS.SYS to CONFIG.SYS
              |Windows==Just another pane in the glass. |Work is the main cause of
              work-related injuries. |I hear voices==You're jealous because they're
              not talking to you! |You're NOT useless!==You can serve as a bad
              example. |You're unique== ... Just like everyone else. |You are
              depriving some poor village of its IDIOT |Your diet isn't
              working.|Your gene pool needs a little chlorine. |Your IQ test results
              were negative.|Index too large error
              ;end set data array
              ^!Set %x%=^$Calc(int(RND(100)+1))$
              ^!Set %temp%=^$StrReplace("==";"^%nl% ";"^%suprise^%x%";1;0)$
              ^!Info [L]^%temp%
              ^!Goto SKIP_-3
            • Dave
              Message 6 of 24 , May 5, 2008
                Hi
                I tried this out 5000 is to big nts wraps at 3065 characters before anywhere
                near the end ,the saying need to be in a text file and do a random read ?
                THANKYOU DAVE M

> [...]

                error==Keyboard error. Press F1 to continue. |Windows
                error==SENILE.COM out of Memory ... |Windows secret==100% file
                compression: "DEL *.*" |Windows secret==add BUGS=OFF to your
                CONFIG.SYS |Windows secret==Add DEVICE=FNGRCROS.SYS to CONFIG.SYS
                |Windows==Just another pane in the glass. |Work is the main cause of
                work-related injuries. |I hear voices==You're jealous because they're
                not talking to you! |You're NOT useless!==You can serve as a bad
                example. |You're unique== ... Just like everyone else. |You are
                depriving some poor village of its IDIOT |Your diet isn't
                working.|Your gene pool needs a little chlorine. |Your IQ test results
                were negative.|Index too large error
                ;end set data array
                ^!Set %x%=^$Calc(int(RND(100)+1))$
                ^!Set %temp%=^$StrReplace("==";"^%nl% ";"^%suprise^%x%";1;0)$

              • hsavage
                Message 7 of 24 , May 5, 2008
                  Dave wrote:
                  > Hi
                  > I tried this out 5000 is to big nts wraps at 3065 characters before
                  anywhere
                  > near the end ,the saying need to be in a text file and do a random read ?
                  > THANKYOU DAVE M

                  Dave, All,

                  It's true Standards maximum line length seems to be just over 3,000
                  characters but that doesn't have an effect on setting the ^%suprise%
                  variable.

                  If you add the following 3 lines to the clip just below the array the
                  entire variable will be copied to another temp file.

                  ^!ToolBar New Document
                  ^!InsertText ^%suprise%
                  ^!GoTo End

                  ºvº SL_126 created_2008.05.05_08.00.55

                  Newspaper HeadLine...
                  • British Union Finds Dwarfs in Short Supply
                  € hrs € hsavage € pobox € com
                • Tony Hirtenstein
                  Message 8 of 24 , May 5, 2008

                    ;
                    ; On the other hand, the clip is only six lines long <g>.
                    ;
                    ;
                    ; You should be abble to just JOIN the long line back into shape -- an
                    ; extra space or two shouldn't matter in the strings.

                    Ahem,
                    I tried this clip and could not exit from it without using the Task
                    Manager!!

                    --

                    ******************* A.T.Hirtenstein ****************************
                    West Oxfordshire ******************* <tonyh@...>
                    Message 9 of 24 , May 6, 2008
                      --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, Tony Hirtenstein <tonyh@...> wrote:

                      > On Sun, 04 May 2008 23:20:32 -0000, "ebbtidalflats"
                      <ebbtidalflats@...> so
                      > much as wrote:
                      > Ahem,
                      > I tried this clip and could not exit from it without using the Task
                      > Manager!!

                      Sorry about that.

                      There isn't any need for thetask manager. Just press

                      CTRL+ALT when you click OK.

                      I shouldda mentioned that, or maybe left an exit.

                      Cheers

                      Eb
                    • ebbtidalflats
                      Message 10 of 24 , May 6, 2008
                        --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, "Dave" <dmc43959@...> wrote:

                        > Hi
                        > I tried this out 5000 is to big nts wraps at 3065 characters before
                        anywhere
                        > near the end ,the saying need to be in a text file and do a random
                        read ?

                        Very interesting. Which version NoteTab are you using?
                        I never tested this with anything but NTPro.

                        I just copied the clipp from YOUR post, popped it into a library,
                        selected the LOOOONG line, and JOINED it (CTRL+J)

                        Worked without any error messages.

                        However, here is a different, MUCH smaller version, that still
                        illustrates the concept, but without the laughs 8-(

                        H="Random Notes"
                        ^!SetListDelimiter |
                        ;set data array (EXTMELY long line -- 5000 + characters)
                        ^!SetArray %Suprise%=ONE|too|three|for|fife|sex|say when|ate|nyen|ten
                        ;end set data array
                        ^!Set %max%=^%Suprise0%
                        ^!Set %x%=^$Calc(int(RND(^%max%)+1))$
                        ^!Set %temp%=^$StrReplace("==";"^%nl% ";"^%suprise^%x%";1;0)$
                        ^!Info ^%temp%
                        ^!Continue
                        ^!Goto SKIP_-4

                        That should choke any version of NoteTab

                        Cheers,

                        Eb
                      • Tony Hirtenstein
                        Message 11 of 24 , May 7, 2008
                          On Tue, 06 May 2008 19:41:55 -0000, "ebbtidalflats" <ebbtidalflats@...> so
                          much as wrote:

                          ; There isn't any need for thetask manager. Just press
                          ; CTRL+ALT when you click OK.

                          I tried everything I knew, including pressing CTRL+ALT, and nothing
                          stopped the clip. Eventually I closed down NoteTab from the Task Maanger and
                          lost half an hour's work.

                          I've just tried again, and was able to close the clip only by holding
                          Ctrl and Alt down and clicking on the X button or the OK button. Surely this is
                          not normal clip behaviour? Simply clicking on the X button made the clip carry
                          on as if the OK button had been pressed.

                          Message 12 of 24 , May 7, 2008
                            Hi Tony,

                            I'm truly sorry that you lost work from running my clip.

                            Yes, having to Click OK is the normal behavior, when you use CTRL+ALT.
                            The reason is, that the clip is STOPPED while it displays an Info
                            window, as it waits for the EVENT of OK or ENTER.

                            The clip must be RUNNING for CTRL+ALT to do anything.

                            I have used NoteTab so long, that I take a lot of things for granted,
                            that may not be known to others. Color me RED.

                            So it was with the clip I posted, not thinking, that breaking out of
                            an infinite loop that stops for user input isn't old hat to everyone.
                            To compound this error, the documentation for CTRL+ALT doesn't explain
                            this concept (that the clip must actually be running), at all.

                            - - -

                            As to losing a half day of work, are you aware of the NoteTab option
                            that configures how often NoteTab saves your work automatically?

                            Options-->Files tab-->Automatic Save every [10] minutes.

                            You can make this every couple of minutes with todays computers.
                            HOWEVER, if you couple this autosave with INCREMENTAL backups,
                            you might generate a LOT of backup files. !!!!!!!

                            Cheers

                            eb

                            --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, Tony Hirtenstein <tonyh@...> wrote:

                            > On Tue, 06 May 2008 19:41:55 -0000, "ebbtidalflats"
                            <ebbtidalflats@...> so
                            > much as wrote:
                            >
                            > ; There isn't any need for thetask manager. Just press
                            > ; CTRL+ALT when you click OK.
                            >
                            > I tried everything I knew, including pressing CTRL+ALT, and nothing
                            > stopped the clip. Eventually I closed down NoteTab from the Task
                            Maanger and
                            > lost half an hour's work.
                            >
                            > I've just tried again, and was able to close the clip only by holding
                            > Ctrl and Alt down and clicking on the X button or the OK button.
                            Surely this is
                            > not normal clip behaviour? Simply clicking on the X button made the
                            clip carry
                            > on as if the OK button had been pressed.
                            >
                            > --
                            >

                            > ******************* A.T.Hirtenstein ****************************
                            > West Oxfordshire ******************* <tonyh@...>
                            > "If you take refuge in God, He will bring what you need when you
                            need it."

                          • Tony Hirtenstein
                            Message 13 of 24 , May 7, 2008
                              On Wed, 07 May 2008 16:51:27 -0000, "ebbtidalflats" <ebbtidalflats@...> so
                              much as wrote:

                              ; the documentation for CTRL+ALT doesn't explain this concept (that the clip must actually be running), at all.

                              My problem in a nutshell. In fact the Help file does not deal with how
                              to stop clips at all, unless I have missed something.

                              No important work was lost. But I have learned two things in the
                              process, one of them being the value of this group!

                              --

                              ******************* A.T.Hirtenstein ****************************
                              West Oxfordshire ******************* <tonyh@...>
                              "If you take refuge in God, He will bring what you need when you need it."
                            • Jeff Scism
                              Message 14 of 24 , May 7, 2008
                                The "lost" work may also be stored in your computer as a "temporary"
                                file. It sometimes takes work to find them, but they sometimes can be
                                salvaged.

                                --

                                Jeffery G. Scism, IBSSG
                                ~~

                                "Proponents of each side are vying with determination to prove their ignorance is greater than the other."

                                President Andrew Jackson, discussing a bill going through the US Congress.

                                Visit http://ibssg.org/
                                For The Blacksheep website, MORE...

                                Putnam County Indiana Biographies and Obituaries
                                http://ingenweb.org/inputnam/bios/

                                Montgomery County Indiana Biographies and Obituaries
                                http://ingenweb.org/inmontgomery/bios/

                                Fountain County Indiana Biographies and Obituaries
                                http://ingenweb.org/infountain/vitals/bios/
                              • hsavage
                                Message 15 of 24 , May 7, 2008
                                  Tony Hirtenstein wrote:
                                  > On Wed, 07 May 2008 16:51:27 -0000, "ebbtidalflats"
                                  <ebbtidalflats@...> so
                                  > much as wrote:
                                  >
                                  > ; the documentation for CTRL+ALT doesn't explain this concept (that
                                  the clip must actually be running), at all.

                                  > My problem in a nutshell. In fact the Help file does not deal with how
                                  > to stop clips at all, unless I have missed something.
                                  >
                                  > No important work was lost. But I have learned two things in the
                                  > process, one of them being the value of this group!

                                  Tony, ebm

                                  Goto 'Help On Clip Programming' under Help on the menu bar. Click on
                                  Index, scroll all the way down looking for 'Stop Clip' and it states the
                                  following;

                                  ------
                                  Useful tip when testing Clip code:

                                  You can use the "Ctrl+Alt" key combination to stop the execution of a
                                  Clip (especially useful when stuck in a loop).
                                  ------

                                  A running clip is in the process of 'execution' so it does explain the
                                  clip must running to stop it with Ctrl+Alt.

                                  ºvº SL_128 created_2008.05.07_07.29.50

                                  Newspaper HeadLine...
                                  • Cold Wave Linked to Temperatures
                                  € hrs € hsavage € pobox € com
                                • Tony Hirtenstein
                                  Message 16 of 24 , May 7, 2008
                                    On Wed, 07 May 2008 14:17:44 -0500, hsavage <hsavage@...> so much as
                                    wrote:

                                    ; Useful tip when testing Clip code:
                                    ; You can use the "Ctrl+Alt" key combination to stop the execution of a
                                    ; Clip (especially useful when stuck in a loop).
                                    ; A running clip is in the process of 'execution' so it does explain the
                                    ; clip must running to stop it with Ctrl+Alt.

                                    Thanks for this pointer: I was looking in the wrong part of the Help!
                                    But we have now established (which was new to this brain cell) that some clips
                                    require a mouse click to stop them in addition to pressing Ctrl Alt.

                                    Message 17 of 24 , May 8, 2008

                                      > ------
                                      > Useful tip when testing Clip code:
                                      >
                                      > You can use the "Ctrl+Alt" key combination to stop the execution of a
                                      > Clip (especially useful when stuck in a loop).
                                      > ------
                                      >
                                      > A running clip is in the process of 'execution' so it does explain the
                                      > clip must running to stop it with Ctrl+Alt.

                                      Hrs,

                                      On the one hand I must say, the help you cite is on the ambiguous
                                      side, when it comes to covering clips "running but waiting" for something.

                                      A clip that has started, and not yet finished, is still running in my
                                      book (which should have ocurred to me when I wrote that clip with the
                                      endless loop).

                                      What is key is, that the clip isn't executing a CLIP command, while
                                      waiting for input. CTRL+ALT stops a CLIP command, if the keys are
                                      pressed, when the clip command executes. <he,he>The clip is running
                                      but not executing</he,he>.

                                      On the other hand, I'd like to point out, that NoteTab's help is FAR
                                      SUPERIOR to most other software. It doesn't simply echo the phrases
                                      you would like help to elaborate on.

                                      Cheers,

                                      Eb