Re: [Clip] Re: Is there or can there be a script for article page creation

    Message 1 of 24 , May 2, 2008
      frank wrote:
      > I would recommend WordPress to build your site. but I would
      > use NoteTab to build the articles, save, then copy and
      > paste the text into the WordPress widget.

      My advice is the exact opposite. Of course NoteTab is a versatile
      general purpose text editor too, but I would not necessarily
      recommend it as such. On the other hand it is unsurpassed for all
      kinds of web related code.

      > 1. you would not need to learn code
      > (html, xml, php, mysql, etc...)

      Lots of tools promise people to give them all kinds of capabilities
      and achieve all kinds of results without the tedium of having to
      learn anything first. In my experience not a single one can fulfill
      that promise.

      > 2. only typing your content into WordPress is risky. if
      > the online storage crashes or is hacked, you lose it all
      > (been there done that).

      Agreed. I try to remember never to fill in web forms but always to
      write in my editor and paste when finished. All my sites are mirrors
      of the local versions on my backed-up disks at home. (For testing
      the more demanding ones I run Apache. The most frequent mistake is
      forgetting to upload when finished.)

      > 3. building your text with NoteTab eliminates display issues
      > resulting from special characters generated by Microsoft Word
      > etc.

      Agreed too. Never use tools that hide from you what you are actually
      doing.

      > I would save each copy of your text with a date and no spaces
      > in the filename. use underscore for readibility. e.g.
      > Feature_Article_20080502.txt

      Nearly agree. For good sorting the date should come first but your
      choice of ISO is of course the only sensible one.

      > Note Tab has a good spell checker and word counter too...

      It may well do -- never used any of them though.

      Axel
    • Doug Offen
      Message 2 of 24 , May 3, 2008
        Thanks for the responses everyone. I, up 'till now have found no
        pressing need to upgrade notetab to 5.? From reading the comments on
        the forums, it meant some clips wouldn't work and there were some
        problems with 5. 4.96 works well for me and I never upgraded.

        I know I can design an html page template and insert text body fairly
        easily. All the layout and looks would be the same but the content
        would be different.

        As I assemble each page of content, I want to have notetab
        automatically add some unique random content like quotes, tips, jokes,
        banners or ads. I mention wordpress as an alternative because it has a
        simple widget to insert a random quote from a simple list file. There
        are banner rotators too. These are done using php or some other script
        includes.

        What I would like to know is if a clip can be made to insert a
        randomly selected line from a text list of quotes for example. Instead
        of always creating a page from a bunch of includes commands like
        wordpress does, I wanted to have notetab assemble basically static
        html files with the randomness created within notetab. Instead of
        having many little php files that are put together when a page is
        called, there would be just one complete static html page called from
        a series of static pages.

        Instead of uploading all the parts in a wordpress install and
        depending on mysql, I would upload the notetab assembled individual
        html files only. they wouldn't be dynamic but they would have a
        certain amount of randomness built into them along with the major
        content for each page.

        This is really hard to explain and I see it being a pretty useless
        exercise.

        Thanks for giving it a go and have a good weekend.

        Doug Offen
        Message 3 of 24 , May 3, 2008
          Doug Offen wrote:
          > As I assemble each page of content, I want to have notetab
          > automatically add some unique random content like quotes,
          > tips, jokes, banners or ads.

          I think that for that to make sense you really ought to take a look
          at PHP - unless you can be pretty sure that few readers will look at
          the same page more than once. From the top of my head I'm pretty
          sure that PHP does include a random number generator while Notetab
          doesn't.

          Axel
        • buralex@gmail.com
          Message 4 of 24 , May 4, 2008
            Axel Berger <Axel-Berger@...> said on May 04, 2008 1:25 -0400 (in
            part):
            > Doug Offen wrote:
            >
            >> As I assemble each page of content, I want to have notetab
            >> automatically add some unique random content like quotes,
            >> tips, jokes, banners or ads.
            >>

            > I think that for that to make sense you really ought to take a look
            > at PHP - unless you can be pretty sure that few readers will look at
            > the same page more than once. From the top of my head I'm pretty
            > sure that PHP does include a random number generator while Notetab
            > doesn't.
            Axel: Just fyi:
            > ^$StrRandom(Size)$ (added in v4.84)
            >
            > ^$StrRandom(Size[;Characters])$ (added in v4.85)
            >
            > Returns a string of random characters of the specified length. This
            > function can be useful for generating random passwords. Example
            >
            > ^$StrRandom(6)$ = È$q3åî
            > Starting with version 4.85, the StrRandom has been updated to let you
            > optionally define which characters are used in the random string that
            > is generated. The "Characters" parameter represents a string of
            > characters that limits what the function can use in its result. You
            > can define ranges by using "..". For example, A..Z represents all the
            > uppercase letters of the Roman alphabet; A..Za..z0..1 represents all
            > digits and letters of the Roman alphabet. Example:
            >
            > ^$StrRandom(10;A..F0..9)$ --> D744E70176
            It could be the basis of the randomized quote selector Doug is looking
            for, though I agree PHP (which I don't know) would be a better approach
            if he wants a different quote every time user visits (or refreshes the
            page) that Notetab which could only change when the page is uploaded again.

            Regards ... Alec -- buralex-gmail

          • ebbtidalflats
            Message 5 of 24 , May 4, 2008
              --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, "Doug Offen" <yahoo@...> wrote:

              > What I would like to know is if a clip can be made to insert a
              > randomly selected line from a text list of quotes for example.

              Sure,

              create the snippets of tet you want to randomly insert, store them in
              an array (if small enough) or a data file.

              NoteTab has a random function, which you use to generate the INDEX to
              the random data

              ^$Calc(rnd(10) + 1;0)$

              will generate a random number betweeen 1 and 10.

              Use this index as array index, or if your data is in a file, use it as
              ROW index (^$GetField(^%row%;1)$) -- file must be open to be accessed
              that way.

              Cheers,

              eb
            • ebbtidalflats
              Message 6 of 24 , May 4, 2008
                Axel,

                NoteTab's random "rnd(x)" will generate a random number between 0 and
                (x-1), good enough for most non-mathematical purposes.

                I've included a clip that sets an array with about 100 one-liners,
                that are called at random. Sorry, but the line setting the array is
                over 5000 characters long.

                On the other hand, the clip is only six lines long <g>.

                You should be abble to just JOIN the long line back into shape -- an
                extra space or two shouldn't matter in the strings.

                Cheers,

                Eb

                H="What You Say"
                ^!SetListDelimiter |
                ;set data array (EXTMELY long line -- 5000 + characters)
                ^!SetArray %Suprise%=Index too small error|2 + 2 = 5 (for extremely
                large values of 2). |Alcohol is a slow killer==So I guess I have a bit
                of time left!.|Alimentary canal, in the northern part of Indiana.
                |All wiyht. Rho sritched mg kegtops awound? |Are you alive only
                because==it's illegal to shoot you? |ASCII stupid question, get a
                stupid ANSI! |Be nice to your kids, they will pick out your nursing
                home. |Better bald than no hair at all. |Blood flows down one leg and
                up the other.|Blood vessels, arteries, vanes and caterpillars. |Body
                by Nautilus, brain by Mattel. |Boldly going nowhere. |Bumper
                sticker:==Honk if you want to see an Uzi fired from a car window!
                |Bumper sticker:==Retiree helping with the Rush Hour!== ==For $10
                bucks I'll help somewhere else. |Chemical symbols for water:==Hot
                water ^TH2O==Cold water^TCO2. |Computers find our faith in
                technology amusing. |Computers only think they are
                intelligent.|Consciousness, That annoying time between naps.
                |Disinformation==is not as good as Datinformation. |Does fuzzy logic
                tickle? |Don't be sexist - broads hate that. |Don't piss me off!==I'm
                running out of places to hide the bodies. |Dual-core Pentium
                Wordprocessor==for typists, who can type 2,500 words a minute. |Enter
                any 11-digit prime number to continue... |Ethernet==used to catch the
                etherbunny |Ever stop to think==and forget to start again? |Everyone
                wants to get back to nature.==As long as they can get there by car
                (don't have to walk). |Excuse me for butting in, but I'm
                interrupt-driven. |First aid for asphyxiation==apply artificial
                respiration to patient until dead. |Friends help you move.==Real
                friends help you move bodies. |Hard work pays off in the
                future.==Laziness pays off immediately. |Heart Attacks are God's
                Revenge==for Eating His Animal Friends. |I have the solution.==What's
                the problem? |I need someone really bad==are you really bad? |I tried
                to reach my inner self, but nobody answered. |I used to have a handle
                on life, but it broke. |If God didn't want us to drink beer,==why did
                he salt so much of our water?! |If God doesn't want the Mormons to
                drink beer,==why did he salt their lake? |If you lived in your car,
                you'd be home by now. |Imagine a war and CNN is broken!|IRS
                Motto==We've got what it takes to take what you've got. |Jalapeños are
                to Fine Food==what bulldozers are to tuck pointing.==Use them VERY
                carefully. |Jalapeños are to Fine Food==what hammers are to back rubs.
                |Jalapeños are to Fine Food==what sledge hammers are to roofing nails.
                |Jalapeños are to Fine Food==what steam rollers are to cracking nuts.
                |Just because the moon is lit up at night==does not mean anyone is
                home. |Mainframe, a very large PC peripheral. |Microsoft software
                never has bugs.==It just develops random features. |Most dangerous
                animal in the world:==A Chihuahua with an Uzi. |My wife says, all men
                are idiots.==She married one. What does that make her?|My work is so
                secret that==even I don't know what I do, or why. |My work is so
                secret that==I'll have to kill you for reading this: |My work is so
                secret that==I am not cleared to read my own report. |My work is so
                secret that==my computer has no I/O. |My work is so secret that==my
                office has no doors or windows. |My work is so secret that==nobody has
                a security clearance high enough to clear me. |Natural stupidity is
                better than artificial intelligence. |One thing you know about a
                well-dressed man==His wife has good taste in clothes. |Out of my mind
                ... Back in five minutes. |Pentiums calculate faster than early
                CPUs,==then they wait,==but early CPUs can wait just as fast.|Phillips
                Screwdriver==Vodka in Milk of Magnesia. |Pile Driver==Vodka and Prune
                Juice. |POWER FOOD==Stewed Prunes! |Press <CTRL>-<ALT>-<DEL> to
                continue ... |Press any key ... no, No, NO, NOT THAT ONE! |Press any
                key to continue, any other key to quit ... |Progress is
                important==Direction is irrelevant. |RAM disk is *not* an installation
                procedure. |Respiration==50% inspiration==50% expectoration.
                |Super-saturated solution==holds more than it can hold. |The trouble
                with doing nothing is==you never know when you're done. |Ultimate
                office automation==networked coffee. |Upgrade to NoteTab 5.+==You get
                a better grade of bugs. |WANTED: Meaningful overnight relationship.
                |WARNING! Driver only carries $20's worth of ammunition |Water =
                Oxygin + Hydrogin==Oxygin: pure gin==Hydrogin: gin + water. |When
                asked, "Do I look stupid?"==I always hesitate.|Who's General Failure &
                why was he reading my disk? |Why do cowboys squat on their spurs?==to
                stay awake. |Windows error==Access denied--nah nah na nah nah!
                |Windows error==Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted. |Windows
                error==CONGRESS.SYS Corrupted:==Re-boot Washington D.C (Y=n)? |Windows
                error==Keyboard error. Press F1 to continue. |Windows
                error==SENILE.COM out of Memory ... |Windows secret==100% file
                compression: "DEL *.*" |Windows secret==add BUGS=OFF to your
                CONFIG.SYS |Windows secret==Add DEVICE=FNGRCROS.SYS to CONFIG.SYS
                |Windows==Just another pane in the glass. |Work is the main cause of
                work-related injuries. |I hear voices==You're jealous because they're
                not talking to you! |You're NOT useless!==You can serve as a bad
                example. |You're unique== ... Just like everyone else. |You are
                depriving some poor village of its IDIOT |Your diet isn't
                working.|Your gene pool needs a little chlorine. |Your IQ test results
                were negative.|Index too large error
                ;end set data array
                ^!Set %x%=^$Calc(int(RND(100)+1))$
                ^!Set %temp%=^$StrReplace("==";"^%nl% ";"^%suprise^%x%";1;0)$
                ^!Info [L]^%temp%
                ^!Goto SKIP_-3
              • Dave
                Message 7 of 24 , May 5, 2008
                  Hi
                  I tried this out 5000 is to big nts wraps at 3065 characters before anywhere
                  near the end ,the saying need to be in a text file and do a random read ?
                  THANKYOU DAVE M

> [...]

                  error==Keyboard error. Press F1 to continue. |Windows
                  error==SENILE.COM out of Memory ... |Windows secret==100% file
                  compression: "DEL *.*" |Windows secret==add BUGS=OFF to your
                  CONFIG.SYS |Windows secret==Add DEVICE=FNGRCROS.SYS to CONFIG.SYS
                  |Windows==Just another pane in the glass. |Work is the main cause of
                  work-related injuries. |I hear voices==You're jealous because they're
                  not talking to you! |You're NOT useless!==You can serve as a bad
                  example. |You're unique== ... Just like everyone else. |You are
                  depriving some poor village of its IDIOT |Your diet isn't
                  working.|Your gene pool needs a little chlorine. |Your IQ test results
                  were negative.|Index too large error
                  ;end set data array
                  ^!Set %x%=^$Calc(int(RND(100)+1))$
                  ^!Set %temp%=^$StrReplace("==";"^%nl% ";"^%suprise^%x%";1;0)$

                • hsavage
                  Message 8 of 24 , May 5, 2008
                    Dave wrote:
                    > Hi
                    > I tried this out 5000 is to big nts wraps at 3065 characters before
                    anywhere
                    > near the end ,the saying need to be in a text file and do a random read ?
                    > THANKYOU DAVE M

                    Dave, All,

                    It's true Standards maximum line length seems to be just over 3,000
                    characters but that doesn't have an effect on setting the ^%suprise%
                    variable.

                    If you add the following 3 lines to the clip just below the array the
                    entire variable will be copied to another temp file.

                    ^!ToolBar New Document
                    ^!InsertText ^%suprise%
                    ^!GoTo End

                    ºvº SL_126 created_2008.05.05_08.00.55

                    Newspaper HeadLine...
                    • British Union Finds Dwarfs in Short Supply
                    € hrs € hsavage € pobox € com
                  • Tony Hirtenstein
                    Message 9 of 24 , May 5, 2008

                      ;
                      ; On the other hand, the clip is only six lines long <g>.
                      ;
                      ;
                      ; You should be abble to just JOIN the long line back into shape -- an
                      ; extra space or two shouldn't matter in the strings.

                      Ahem,
                      I tried this clip and could not exit from it without using the Task
                      Manager!!

                      --

                      ******************* A.T.Hirtenstein ****************************
                      West Oxfordshire ******************* <tonyh@...>
                      Message 10 of 24 , May 6, 2008
                        --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, Tony Hirtenstein <tonyh@...> wrote:

                        > On Sun, 04 May 2008 23:20:32 -0000, "ebbtidalflats"
                        <ebbtidalflats@...> so
                        > much as wrote:
                        > Ahem,
                        > I tried this clip and could not exit from it without using the Task
                        > Manager!!

                        Sorry about that.

                        There isn't any need for thetask manager. Just press

                        CTRL+ALT when you click OK.

                        I shouldda mentioned that, or maybe left an exit.

                        Cheers

                        Eb
                      • ebbtidalflats
                        Message 11 of 24 , May 6, 2008
                          --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, "Dave" <dmc43959@...> wrote:

                          > Hi
                          > I tried this out 5000 is to big nts wraps at 3065 characters before
                          anywhere
                          > near the end ,the saying need to be in a text file and do a random
                          read ?

                          Very interesting. Which version NoteTab are you using?
                          I never tested this with anything but NTPro.

                          I just copied the clipp from YOUR post, popped it into a library,
                          selected the LOOOONG line, and JOINED it (CTRL+J)

                          Worked without any error messages.

                          However, here is a different, MUCH smaller version, that still
                          illustrates the concept, but without the laughs 8-(

                          H="Random Notes"
                          ^!SetListDelimiter |
                          ;set data array (EXTMELY long line -- 5000 + characters)
                          ^!SetArray %Suprise%=ONE|too|three|for|fife|sex|say when|ate|nyen|ten
                          ;end set data array
                          ^!Set %max%=^%Suprise0%
                          ^!Set %x%=^$Calc(int(RND(^%max%)+1))$
                          ^!Set %temp%=^$StrReplace("==";"^%nl% ";"^%suprise^%x%";1;0)$
                          ^!Info ^%temp%
                          ^!Continue
                          ^!Goto SKIP_-4

                          That should choke any version of NoteTab

                          Cheers,

                          Eb
                        • Tony Hirtenstein
                          Message 12 of 24 , May 7, 2008
                            On Tue, 06 May 2008 19:41:55 -0000, "ebbtidalflats" <ebbtidalflats@...> so
                            much as wrote:

                            ; There isn't any need for thetask manager. Just press
                            ; CTRL+ALT when you click OK.

                            I tried everything I knew, including pressing CTRL+ALT, and nothing
                            stopped the clip. Eventually I closed down NoteTab from the Task Maanger and
                            lost half an hour's work.

                            I've just tried again, and was able to close the clip only by holding
                            Ctrl and Alt down and clicking on the X button or the OK button. Surely this is
                            not normal clip behaviour? Simply clicking on the X button made the clip carry
                            on as if the OK button had been pressed.

                            Message 13 of 24 , May 7, 2008
                              Hi Tony,

                              I'm truly sorry that you lost work from running my clip.

                              Yes, having to Click OK is the normal behavior, when you use CTRL+ALT.
                              The reason is, that the clip is STOPPED while it displays an Info
                              window, as it waits for the EVENT of OK or ENTER.

                              The clip must be RUNNING for CTRL+ALT to do anything.

                              I have used NoteTab so long, that I take a lot of things for granted,
                              that may not be known to others. Color me RED.

                              So it was with the clip I posted, not thinking, that breaking out of
                              an infinite loop that stops for user input isn't old hat to everyone.
                              To compound this error, the documentation for CTRL+ALT doesn't explain
                              this concept (that the clip must actually be running), at all.

                              - - -

                              As to losing a half day of work, are you aware of the NoteTab option
                              that configures how often NoteTab saves your work automatically?

                              Options-->Files tab-->Automatic Save every [10] minutes.

                              You can make this every couple of minutes with todays computers.
                              HOWEVER, if you couple this autosave with INCREMENTAL backups,
                              you might generate a LOT of backup files. !!!!!!!

                              Cheers

                              eb

                              --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, Tony Hirtenstein <tonyh@...> wrote:

                              > On Tue, 06 May 2008 19:41:55 -0000, "ebbtidalflats"
                              <ebbtidalflats@...> so
                              > much as wrote:
                              >
                              > ; There isn't any need for thetask manager. Just press
                              > ; CTRL+ALT when you click OK.
                              >
                              > I tried everything I knew, including pressing CTRL+ALT, and nothing
                              > stopped the clip. Eventually I closed down NoteTab from the Task
                              Maanger and
                              > lost half an hour's work.
                              >
                              > I've just tried again, and was able to close the clip only by holding
                              > Ctrl and Alt down and clicking on the X button or the OK button.
                              Surely this is
                              > not normal clip behaviour? Simply clicking on the X button made the
                              clip carry
                              > on as if the OK button had been pressed.
                              >
                              > --
                              >

                              > ******************* A.T.Hirtenstein ****************************
                              > West Oxfordshire ******************* <tonyh@...>
                              > "If you take refuge in God, He will bring what you need when you
                              need it."

                            • Tony Hirtenstein
                              Message 14 of 24 , May 7, 2008
                                On Wed, 07 May 2008 16:51:27 -0000, "ebbtidalflats" <ebbtidalflats@...> so
                                much as wrote:

                                ; the documentation for CTRL+ALT doesn't explain this concept (that the clip must actually be running), at all.

                                My problem in a nutshell. In fact the Help file does not deal with how
                                to stop clips at all, unless I have missed something.

                                No important work was lost. But I have learned two things in the
                                process, one of them being the value of this group!

                                --

                                ******************* A.T.Hirtenstein ****************************
                                West Oxfordshire ******************* <tonyh@...>
                                "If you take refuge in God, He will bring what you need when you need it."
                              • Jeff Scism
                                Message 15 of 24 , May 7, 2008
                                  The "lost" work may also be stored in your computer as a "temporary"
                                  file. It sometimes takes work to find them, but they sometimes can be
                                  salvaged.

                                  --

                                  Jeffery G. Scism, IBSSG
                                  ~~

                                  "Proponents of each side are vying with determination to prove their ignorance is greater than the other."

                                  President Andrew Jackson, discussing a bill going through the US Congress.

                                  Visit http://ibssg.org/
                                  For The Blacksheep website, MORE...

                                  Putnam County Indiana Biographies and Obituaries
                                  http://ingenweb.org/inputnam/bios/

                                  Montgomery County Indiana Biographies and Obituaries
                                  http://ingenweb.org/inmontgomery/bios/

                                  Fountain County Indiana Biographies and Obituaries
                                  http://ingenweb.org/infountain/vitals/bios/
                                • hsavage
                                  Message 16 of 24 , May 7, 2008
                                    Tony Hirtenstein wrote:
                                    > On Wed, 07 May 2008 16:51:27 -0000, "ebbtidalflats"
                                    <ebbtidalflats@...> so
                                    > much as wrote:
                                    >
                                    > ; the documentation for CTRL+ALT doesn't explain this concept (that
                                    the clip must actually be running), at all.

                                    > My problem in a nutshell. In fact the Help file does not deal with how
                                    > to stop clips at all, unless I have missed something.
                                    >
                                    > No important work was lost. But I have learned two things in the
                                    > process, one of them being the value of this group!

                                    Tony, ebm

                                    Goto 'Help On Clip Programming' under Help on the menu bar. Click on
                                    Index, scroll all the way down looking for 'Stop Clip' and it states the
                                    following;

                                    ------
                                    Useful tip when testing Clip code:

                                    You can use the "Ctrl+Alt" key combination to stop the execution of a
                                    Clip (especially useful when stuck in a loop).
                                    ------

                                    A running clip is in the process of 'execution' so it does explain the
                                    clip must running to stop it with Ctrl+Alt.

                                    ºvº SL_128 created_2008.05.07_07.29.50

                                    Newspaper HeadLine...
                                    • Cold Wave Linked to Temperatures
                                    € hrs € hsavage € pobox € com
                                  • Tony Hirtenstein
                                    Message 17 of 24 , May 7, 2008
                                      On Wed, 07 May 2008 14:17:44 -0500, hsavage <hsavage@...> so much as
                                      wrote:

                                      ; Useful tip when testing Clip code:
                                      ; You can use the "Ctrl+Alt" key combination to stop the execution of a
                                      ; Clip (especially useful when stuck in a loop).
                                      ; A running clip is in the process of 'execution' so it does explain the
                                      ; clip must running to stop it with Ctrl+Alt.

                                      Thanks for this pointer: I was looking in the wrong part of the Help!
                                      But we have now established (which was new to this brain cell) that some clips
                                      require a mouse click to stop them in addition to pressing Ctrl Alt.

                                      Message 18 of 24 , May 8, 2008

                                        > ------
                                        > Useful tip when testing Clip code:
                                        >
                                        > You can use the "Ctrl+Alt" key combination to stop the execution of a
                                        > Clip (especially useful when stuck in a loop).
                                        > ------
                                        >
                                        > A running clip is in the process of 'execution' so it does explain the
                                        > clip must running to stop it with Ctrl+Alt.

                                        Hrs,

                                        On the one hand I must say, the help you cite is on the ambiguous
                                        side, when it comes to covering clips "running but waiting" for something.

                                        A clip that has started, and not yet finished, is still running in my
                                        book (which should have ocurred to me when I wrote that clip with the
                                        endless loop).

                                        What is key is, that the clip isn't executing a CLIP command, while
                                        waiting for input. CTRL+ALT stops a CLIP command, if the keys are
                                        pressed, when the clip command executes. <he,he>The clip is running
                                        but not executing</he,he>.

                                        On the other hand, I'd like to point out, that NoteTab's help is FAR
                                        SUPERIOR to most other software. It doesn't simply echo the phrases
                                        you would like help to elaborate on.

                                        Cheers,

                                        Eb