Is there or can there be a script for article page creation

  • Doug Offen
    Message 1 of 24 , May 1, 2008
      Hello N-tabbers

      I would like to do some article site building with NoteTab. I am not
      good at making scripts and I was leaning toward using WordPress with
      all its widgets and such as an alternative.

      I wouldn't need all the php files ala WordPress because the author is
      static, the layout is static and many of the pics and advertisement
      are static.

      What I would like to do is have some way of scripting a template to
      insert the title in several places and the body of an article. That
      might need some kind of file merge using a folder of files and a template.

      I am using 4.95 and I suspect I'll have to upgrade to 5.? but that
      isn't a real problem.

      In addition to merging the new article into the page I would like to
      have some rotating information included as the page is built. Similar
      to a random quote type function. Can NoteTab take a text file and
      insert randomly a line of text into several points on the page. Can
      the same be done with a list of banners - perhaps through a single
      file with a different banner or picture link info on each line that
      can be randomly selected and inserted.

      The end result would be a series of html files with different but
      related articles on each page. I guess I'll have to find a way to
      update an index too. Sounds tough.

      If it is not with in the capabilities of NoteTab then I guess it's
      WordPress.

      Thanks

      Doug Offen
      Message 2 of 24 , May 2, 2008
        Doug Offen wrote:
        > I am using 4.95 and I suspect I'll have to upgrade to 5.?
        > but that isn't a real problem.

        It certaily makes it easier for people to help you. I for one know
        nothing about versions before 5.0.

        > If it is not with in the capabilities of NoteTab then I guess
        > it's WordPress.

        I'm not sure I understand what you're looking for. One point though:
        NoteTab gives you a lot of help while writing files. Once saved and
        uploaded Notetab has no more control over them. But you do not need
        some pointee clickee tool for dummies either. If you want random
        elements inserted there's PHP running on the server for you. And
        Notetab is perfectly capable of editing PHP files too.

        You will have to learn some PHP of course and I know that graphic
        mouseclick tools look easier at first glance (which is all most
        people give them before parting with their money) but I have found
        those programs with layer upon layer of interface between you and
        your goal and all their idiosyncrasies much more work and much
        harder to use (understanding them is impossible anyway) in the long
        run.

        If you are the kind of person to appreciate a straightforward tool
        like NoteTab then I suppose it will be the same for you -- daunting
        as a new language may seem at first.

        Axel
      • Jim
        Message 3 of 24 , May 2, 2008
          Your request is a bit vague; so the answer is 'yes'... or 'no'... or
          'it depends'...

          I've contacted persons who write blogs & websites I admire- every one
          of them has stated that they hand-code their sites & do not use any
          specialized HTML apps. So unless WordPress has some nifty capability
          that meets your needs you're going to have to 'get your hands dirty'
          and get into the coding itself.

          My suggestion would be to break up your requirements into objective
          pieces and then look at your options. You may find Notetab works well
          for some things & wordpress or other tools work better for other
          processes.

          That said- I use NoteTab for HTML projects in 3 areas:

          - Take an outline document: run a script that creates HTML with links
          & bookmarks

          - UNDO feature; after performing an operation (even a full script) you
          can still undo. Even nicer is the incremental file backup.

          - Great support from this group. Sometimes they'll even write a clip
          if you ask nicely and provide adequate information.

          Happy NoteTabbing,

          Jim
          --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, "Doug Offen" <yahoo@...> wrote:

          > Hello N-tabbers
          >
          > I would like to do some article site building with NoteTab. I am not
          > good at making scripts and I was leaning toward using WordPress with
          > all its widgets and such as an alternative.
          >
          > I wouldn't need all the php files ala WordPress because the author is
          > static, the layout is static and many of the pics and advertisement
          > are static.
          >
          > What I would like to do is have some way of scripting a template to
          > insert the title in several places and the body of an article. That
          > might need some kind of file merge using a folder of files and a
          template.

          > I am using 4.95 and I suspect I'll have to upgrade to 5.? but that
          > isn't a real problem.
          >
          > In addition to merging the new article into the page I would like to
          > have some rotating information included as the page is built. Similar
          > to a random quote type function. Can NoteTab take a text file and
          > insert randomly a line of text into several points on the page. Can
          > the same be done with a list of banners - perhaps through a single
          > file with a different banner or picture link info on each line that
          > can be randomly selected and inserted.
          >
          > The end result would be a series of html files with different but
          > related articles on each page. I guess I'll have to find a way to
          > update an index too. Sounds tough.
          >
          > If it is not with in the capabilities of NoteTab then I guess it's
          > WordPress.
          >
          > Thanks
          >
          > Doug Offen
        • ebbtidalflats
          Message 4 of 24 , May 2, 2008
            --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, "Doug Offen" <yahoo@...> wrote:

            > What I would like to do is have some way of scripting a template to
            > insert the title in several places and the body of an article. That
            > might need some kind of file merge using a folder of files and a
            template.

            > In addition to merging the new article into the page I would like to
            > have some rotating information included as the page is built.

            Doug,

            Years ago I built a library to do more or less what you requested.
            From what I recall, the requirements for that library was, that the
            article was in a specific format -- something like:

            title
            subtitle
            author
            blank line
            from there-on each article paragraph was expected to have a first line
            containing a subheader, or a blank character in it, to denote a
            paragraph without subheader.

            Each paragraph coud have multiple lines (i.e. EOLs embedded), but the
            first blank line ended the paragraph.

            Output was a formatted HTML page with (linked) table of content at top.

            If I recall, the article contained a style section at the top, which I
            suppose was user definable.

            At the time I wrote this, I needed no intstructions, pop-ups or
            comments. So it's pretty raw. I would have to dig the library out of
            my archives, and build a user interface for it. The code ran on NTP
            4.(something) (and will need upgrading for NTP 5.

            If you're slavering at the lips for this, send me a private email.

            Regards,

            Eb
          • tom thomas
            Message 5 of 24 , May 2, 2008
              Doug,

              There is a library for NoteTab called NoteSort authored by Jody Adair
              that has several functions that will get you started in the direction
              you are wanting to go. Can't remember where I picked it up at, but it
              shouldn't be hard to find.

              Thanks,
              Tom Thomas

              >--- In
              ><mailto:ntb-clips%40yahoogroups.com>ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, "Doug
              >Offen" <yahoo@...> wrote:
              > >
              > > Hello N-tabbers
              > >
              > > I would like to do some article site building with NoteTab. I am not
              > > good at making scripts and I was leaning toward using WordPress with
              > > all its widgets and such as an alternative.
              > >
              > > I wouldn't need all the php files ala WordPress because the author is
              > > static, the layout is static and many of the pics and advertisement
              > > are static.
              > >
              > > What I would like to do is have some way of scripting a template to
              > > insert the title in several places and the body of an article. That
              > > might need some kind of file merge using a folder of files and a
              >template.
              > >
              > > I am using 4.95 and I suspect I'll have to upgrade to 5.? but that
              > > isn't a real problem.
              > >
              > > In addition to merging the new article into the page I would like to
              > > have some rotating information included as the page is built. Similar
              > > to a random quote type function. Can NoteTab take a text file and
              > > insert randomly a line of text into several points on the page. Can
              > > the same be done with a list of banners - perhaps through a single
              > > file with a different banner or picture link info on each line that
              > > can be randomly selected and inserted.
              > >
              > > The end result would be a series of html files with different but
              > > related articles on each page. I guess I'll have to find a way to
              > > update an index too. Sounds tough.
              > >
              > > If it is not with in the capabilities of NoteTab then I guess it's
              > > WordPress.
              > >
              > > Thanks
              > >
              > > Doug Offen

            • frank
              Message 6 of 24 , May 2, 2008
                hi doug,

                based on your request I would recommend WordPress to build your site.
                but I would use NoteTab to build the articles, save, then copy and
                paste the text into the WordPress widget. for these three reasons:

                1. you would not need to learn code (html, xml, php, mysql, etc...)

                2. only typing your content into WordPress is risky. if the online
                storage crashes or is hacked, you lose it all (been there done that).

                3. building your text with NoteTab eliminates display issues resulting
                from special characters generated by Microsoft Word etc.

                also, I would save each copy of your text with a date and no spaces in
                the filename. use underscore for readibility. e.g.

                Feature_Article_20080502.txt

                Note Tab has a good spell checker and word counter too...

                regards,
                tf
                http://www.icosagame.com
                Message 7 of 24 , May 2, 2008
                  frank wrote:
                  > I would recommend WordPress to build your site. but I would
                  > use NoteTab to build the articles, save, then copy and
                  > paste the text into the WordPress widget.

                  My advice is the exact opposite. Of course NoteTab is a versatile
                  general purpose text editor too, but I would not necessarily
                  recommend it as such. On the other hand it is unsurpassed for all
                  kinds of web related code.

                  > 1. you would not need to learn code
                  > (html, xml, php, mysql, etc...)

                  Lots of tools promise people to give them all kinds of capabilities
                  and achieve all kinds of results without the tedium of having to
                  learn anything first. In my experience not a single one can fulfill
                  that promise.

                  > 2. only typing your content into WordPress is risky. if
                  > the online storage crashes or is hacked, you lose it all
                  > (been there done that).

                  Agreed. I try to remember never to fill in web forms but always to
                  write in my editor and paste when finished. All my sites are mirrors
                  of the local versions on my backed-up disks at home. (For testing
                  the more demanding ones I run Apache. The most frequent mistake is
                  forgetting to upload when finished.)

                  > 3. building your text with NoteTab eliminates display issues
                  > resulting from special characters generated by Microsoft Word
                  > etc.

                  Agreed too. Never use tools that hide from you what you are actually
                  doing.

                  > I would save each copy of your text with a date and no spaces
                  > in the filename. use underscore for readibility. e.g.
                  > Feature_Article_20080502.txt

                  Nearly agree. For good sorting the date should come first but your
                  choice of ISO is of course the only sensible one.

                  > Note Tab has a good spell checker and word counter too...

                  It may well do -- never used any of them though.

                  Axel
                • Doug Offen
                  Message 8 of 24 , May 3, 2008
                    Thanks for the responses everyone. I, up 'till now have found no
                    pressing need to upgrade notetab to 5.? From reading the comments on
                    the forums, it meant some clips wouldn't work and there were some
                    problems with 5. 4.96 works well for me and I never upgraded.

                    I know I can design an html page template and insert text body fairly
                    easily. All the layout and looks would be the same but the content
                    would be different.

                    As I assemble each page of content, I want to have notetab
                    automatically add some unique random content like quotes, tips, jokes,
                    banners or ads. I mention wordpress as an alternative because it has a
                    simple widget to insert a random quote from a simple list file. There
                    are banner rotators too. These are done using php or some other script
                    includes.

                    What I would like to know is if a clip can be made to insert a
                    randomly selected line from a text list of quotes for example. Instead
                    of always creating a page from a bunch of includes commands like
                    wordpress does, I wanted to have notetab assemble basically static
                    html files with the randomness created within notetab. Instead of
                    having many little php files that are put together when a page is
                    called, there would be just one complete static html page called from
                    a series of static pages.

                    Instead of uploading all the parts in a wordpress install and
                    depending on mysql, I would upload the notetab assembled individual
                    html files only. they wouldn't be dynamic but they would have a
                    certain amount of randomness built into them along with the major
                    content for each page.

                    This is really hard to explain and I see it being a pretty useless
                    exercise.

                    Thanks for giving it a go and have a good weekend.

                    Doug Offen
                    Message 9 of 24 , May 3, 2008
                      Doug Offen wrote:
                      > As I assemble each page of content, I want to have notetab
                      > automatically add some unique random content like quotes,
                      > tips, jokes, banners or ads.

                      I think that for that to make sense you really ought to take a look
                      at PHP - unless you can be pretty sure that few readers will look at
                      the same page more than once. From the top of my head I'm pretty
                      sure that PHP does include a random number generator while Notetab
                      doesn't.

                      Axel
                    • buralex@gmail.com
                      Message 10 of 24 , May 4, 2008
                        Axel Berger <Axel-Berger@...> said on May 04, 2008 1:25 -0400 (in
                        part):
                        > Doug Offen wrote:
                        >
                        >> As I assemble each page of content, I want to have notetab
                        >> automatically add some unique random content like quotes,
                        >> tips, jokes, banners or ads.
                        >>

                        > I think that for that to make sense you really ought to take a look
                        > at PHP - unless you can be pretty sure that few readers will look at
                        > the same page more than once. From the top of my head I'm pretty
                        > sure that PHP does include a random number generator while Notetab
                        > doesn't.
                        Axel: Just fyi:
                        > ^$StrRandom(Size)$ (added in v4.84)
                        >
                        > ^$StrRandom(Size[;Characters])$ (added in v4.85)
                        >
                        > Returns a string of random characters of the specified length. This
                        > function can be useful for generating random passwords. Example
                        >
                        > ^$StrRandom(6)$ = È$q3åî
                        > Starting with version 4.85, the StrRandom has been updated to let you
                        > optionally define which characters are used in the random string that
                        > is generated. The "Characters" parameter represents a string of
                        > characters that limits what the function can use in its result. You
                        > can define ranges by using "..". For example, A..Z represents all the
                        > uppercase letters of the Roman alphabet; A..Za..z0..1 represents all
                        > digits and letters of the Roman alphabet. Example:
                        >
                        > ^$StrRandom(10;A..F0..9)$ --> D744E70176
                        It could be the basis of the randomized quote selector Doug is looking
                        for, though I agree PHP (which I don't know) would be a better approach
                        if he wants a different quote every time user visits (or refreshes the
                        page) that Notetab which could only change when the page is uploaded again.

                        Regards ... Alec -- buralex-gmail

                      • ebbtidalflats
                        Message 11 of 24 , May 4, 2008
                          --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, "Doug Offen" <yahoo@...> wrote:

                          > What I would like to know is if a clip can be made to insert a
                          > randomly selected line from a text list of quotes for example.

                          Sure,

                          create the snippets of tet you want to randomly insert, store them in
                          an array (if small enough) or a data file.

                          NoteTab has a random function, which you use to generate the INDEX to
                          the random data

                          ^$Calc(rnd(10) + 1;0)$

                          will generate a random number betweeen 1 and 10.

                          Use this index as array index, or if your data is in a file, use it as
                          ROW index (^$GetField(^%row%;1)$) -- file must be open to be accessed
                          that way.

                          Cheers,

                          eb
                        • ebbtidalflats
                          Message 12 of 24 , May 4, 2008
                            Axel,

                            NoteTab's random "rnd(x)" will generate a random number between 0 and
                            (x-1), good enough for most non-mathematical purposes.

                            I've included a clip that sets an array with about 100 one-liners,
                            that are called at random. Sorry, but the line setting the array is
                            over 5000 characters long.

                            On the other hand, the clip is only six lines long <g>.

                            You should be abble to just JOIN the long line back into shape -- an
                            extra space or two shouldn't matter in the strings.

                            Cheers,

                            Eb

                            H="What You Say"
                            ^!SetListDelimiter |
                            ;set data array (EXTMELY long line -- 5000 + characters)
                            ^!SetArray %Suprise%=Index too small error|2 + 2 = 5 (for extremely
                            large values of 2). |Alcohol is a slow killer==So I guess I have a bit
                            of time left!.|Alimentary canal, in the northern part of Indiana.
                            |All wiyht. Rho sritched mg kegtops awound? |Are you alive only
                            because==it's illegal to shoot you? |ASCII stupid question, get a
                            stupid ANSI! |Be nice to your kids, they will pick out your nursing
                            home. |Better bald than no hair at all. |Blood flows down one leg and
                            up the other.|Blood vessels, arteries, vanes and caterpillars. |Body
                            by Nautilus, brain by Mattel. |Boldly going nowhere. |Bumper
                            sticker:==Honk if you want to see an Uzi fired from a car window!
                            |Bumper sticker:==Retiree helping with the Rush Hour!== ==For $10
                            bucks I'll help somewhere else. |Chemical symbols for water:==Hot
                            water ^TH2O==Cold water^TCO2. |Computers find our faith in
                            technology amusing. |Computers only think they are
                            intelligent.|Consciousness, That annoying time between naps.
                            |Disinformation==is not as good as Datinformation. |Does fuzzy logic
                            tickle? |Don't be sexist - broads hate that. |Don't piss me off!==I'm
                            running out of places to hide the bodies. |Dual-core Pentium
                            Wordprocessor==for typists, who can type 2,500 words a minute. |Enter
                            any 11-digit prime number to continue... |Ethernet==used to catch the
                            etherbunny |Ever stop to think==and forget to start again? |Everyone
                            wants to get back to nature.==As long as they can get there by car
                            (don't have to walk). |Excuse me for butting in, but I'm
                            interrupt-driven. |First aid for asphyxiation==apply artificial
                            respiration to patient until dead. |Friends help you move.==Real
                            friends help you move bodies. |Hard work pays off in the
                            future.==Laziness pays off immediately. |Heart Attacks are God's
                            Revenge==for Eating His Animal Friends. |I have the solution.==What's
                            the problem? |I need someone really bad==are you really bad? |I tried
                            to reach my inner self, but nobody answered. |I used to have a handle
                            on life, but it broke. |If God didn't want us to drink beer,==why did
                            he salt so much of our water?! |If God doesn't want the Mormons to
                            drink beer,==why did he salt their lake? |If you lived in your car,
                            you'd be home by now. |Imagine a war and CNN is broken!|IRS
                            Motto==We've got what it takes to take what you've got. |Jalapeños are
                            to Fine Food==what bulldozers are to tuck pointing.==Use them VERY
                            carefully. |Jalapeños are to Fine Food==what hammers are to back rubs.
                            |Jalapeños are to Fine Food==what sledge hammers are to roofing nails.
                            |Jalapeños are to Fine Food==what steam rollers are to cracking nuts.
                            |Just because the moon is lit up at night==does not mean anyone is
                            home. |Mainframe, a very large PC peripheral. |Microsoft software
                            never has bugs.==It just develops random features. |Most dangerous
                            animal in the world:==A Chihuahua with an Uzi. |My wife says, all men
                            are idiots.==She married one. What does that make her?|My work is so
                            secret that==even I don't know what I do, or why. |My work is so
                            secret that==I'll have to kill you for reading this: |My work is so
                            secret that==I am not cleared to read my own report. |My work is so
                            secret that==my computer has no I/O. |My work is so secret that==my
                            office has no doors or windows. |My work is so secret that==nobody has
                            a security clearance high enough to clear me. |Natural stupidity is
                            better than artificial intelligence. |One thing you know about a
                            well-dressed man==His wife has good taste in clothes. |Out of my mind
                            ... Back in five minutes. |Pentiums calculate faster than early
                            CPUs,==then they wait,==but early CPUs can wait just as fast.|Phillips
                            Screwdriver==Vodka in Milk of Magnesia. |Pile Driver==Vodka and Prune
                            Juice. |POWER FOOD==Stewed Prunes! |Press <CTRL>-<ALT>-<DEL> to
                            continue ... |Press any key ... no, No, NO, NOT THAT ONE! |Press any
                            key to continue, any other key to quit ... |Progress is
                            important==Direction is irrelevant. |RAM disk is *not* an installation
                            procedure. |Respiration==50% inspiration==50% expectoration.
                            |Super-saturated solution==holds more than it can hold. |The trouble
                            with doing nothing is==you never know when you're done. |Ultimate
                            office automation==networked coffee. |Upgrade to NoteTab 5.+==You get
                            a better grade of bugs. |WANTED: Meaningful overnight relationship.
                            |WARNING! Driver only carries $20's worth of ammunition |Water =
                            Oxygin + Hydrogin==Oxygin: pure gin==Hydrogin: gin + water. |When
                            asked, "Do I look stupid?"==I always hesitate.|Who's General Failure &
                            why was he reading my disk? |Why do cowboys squat on their spurs?==to
                            stay awake. |Windows error==Access denied--nah nah na nah nah!
                            |Windows error==Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted. |Windows
                            error==CONGRESS.SYS Corrupted:==Re-boot Washington D.C (Y=n)? |Windows
                            error==Keyboard error. Press F1 to continue. |Windows
                            error==SENILE.COM out of Memory ... |Windows secret==100% file
                            compression: "DEL *.*" |Windows secret==add BUGS=OFF to your
                            CONFIG.SYS |Windows secret==Add DEVICE=FNGRCROS.SYS to CONFIG.SYS
                            |Windows==Just another pane in the glass. |Work is the main cause of
                            work-related injuries. |I hear voices==You're jealous because they're
                            not talking to you! |You're NOT useless!==You can serve as a bad
                            example. |You're unique== ... Just like everyone else. |You are
                            depriving some poor village of its IDIOT |Your diet isn't
                            working.|Your gene pool needs a little chlorine. |Your IQ test results
                            were negative.|Index too large error
                            ;end set data array
                            ^!Set %x%=^$Calc(int(RND(100)+1))$
                            ^!Set %temp%=^$StrReplace("==";"^%nl% ";"^%suprise^%x%";1;0)$
                            ^!Info [L]^%temp%
                            ^!Goto SKIP_-3
                          • Dave
                            Message 13 of 24 , May 5, 2008
                              Hi
                              I tried this out 5000 is to big nts wraps at 3065 characters before anywhere
                              near the end ,the saying need to be in a text file and do a random read ?
                              THANKYOU DAVE M

> [...]

                              error==Keyboard error. Press F1 to continue. |Windows
                              error==SENILE.COM out of Memory ... |Windows secret==100% file
                              compression: "DEL *.*" |Windows secret==add BUGS=OFF to your
                              CONFIG.SYS |Windows secret==Add DEVICE=FNGRCROS.SYS to CONFIG.SYS
                              |Windows==Just another pane in the glass. |Work is the main cause of
                              work-related injuries. |I hear voices==You're jealous because they're
                              not talking to you! |You're NOT useless!==You can serve as a bad
                              example. |You're unique== ... Just like everyone else. |You are
                              depriving some poor village of its IDIOT |Your diet isn't
                              working.|Your gene pool needs a little chlorine. |Your IQ test results
                              were negative.|Index too large error
                              ;end set data array
                              ^!Set %x%=^$Calc(int(RND(100)+1))$
                              ^!Set %temp%=^$StrReplace("==";"^%nl% ";"^%suprise^%x%";1;0)$

                            • hsavage
                              Message 14 of 24 , May 5, 2008
                                Dave wrote:
                                > Hi
                                > I tried this out 5000 is to big nts wraps at 3065 characters before
                                anywhere
                                > near the end ,the saying need to be in a text file and do a random read ?
                                > THANKYOU DAVE M

                                Dave, All,

                                It's true Standards maximum line length seems to be just over 3,000
                                characters but that doesn't have an effect on setting the ^%suprise%
                                variable.

                                If you add the following 3 lines to the clip just below the array the
                                entire variable will be copied to another temp file.

                                ^!ToolBar New Document
                                ^!InsertText ^%suprise%
                                ^!GoTo End

                                ºvº SL_126 created_2008.05.05_08.00.55

                                Newspaper HeadLine...
                                • British Union Finds Dwarfs in Short Supply
                                € hrs € hsavage € pobox € com
                              • Tony Hirtenstein
                                Message 15 of 24 , May 5, 2008

                                  ;
                                  ; On the other hand, the clip is only six lines long <g>.
                                  ;
                                  ;
                                  ; You should be abble to just JOIN the long line back into shape -- an
                                  ; extra space or two shouldn't matter in the strings.

                                  Ahem,
                                  I tried this clip and could not exit from it without using the Task
                                  Manager!!

                                  --

                                  ******************* A.T.Hirtenstein ****************************
                                  West Oxfordshire ******************* <tonyh@...>
                                  Message 16 of 24 , May 6, 2008
                                    --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, Tony Hirtenstein <tonyh@...> wrote:

                                    > On Sun, 04 May 2008 23:20:32 -0000, "ebbtidalflats"
                                    <ebbtidalflats@...> so
                                    > much as wrote:
                                    > Ahem,
                                    > I tried this clip and could not exit from it without using the Task
                                    > Manager!!

                                    Sorry about that.

                                    There isn't any need for thetask manager. Just press

                                    CTRL+ALT when you click OK.

                                    I shouldda mentioned that, or maybe left an exit.

                                    Cheers

                                    Eb
                                  • ebbtidalflats
                                    Message 17 of 24 , May 6, 2008
                                      --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, "Dave" <dmc43959@...> wrote:

                                      > Hi
                                      > I tried this out 5000 is to big nts wraps at 3065 characters before
                                      anywhere
                                      > near the end ,the saying need to be in a text file and do a random
                                      read ?

                                      Very interesting. Which version NoteTab are you using?
                                      I never tested this with anything but NTPro.

                                      I just copied the clipp from YOUR post, popped it into a library,
                                      selected the LOOOONG line, and JOINED it (CTRL+J)

                                      Worked without any error messages.

                                      However, here is a different, MUCH smaller version, that still
                                      illustrates the concept, but without the laughs 8-(

                                      H="Random Notes"
                                      ^!SetListDelimiter |
                                      ;set data array (EXTMELY long line -- 5000 + characters)
                                      ^!SetArray %Suprise%=ONE|too|three|for|fife|sex|say when|ate|nyen|ten
                                      ;end set data array
                                      ^!Set %max%=^%Suprise0%
                                      ^!Set %x%=^$Calc(int(RND(^%max%)+1))$
                                      ^!Set %temp%=^$StrReplace("==";"^%nl% ";"^%suprise^%x%";1;0)$
                                      ^!Info ^%temp%
                                      ^!Continue
                                      ^!Goto SKIP_-4

                                      That should choke any version of NoteTab

                                      Cheers,

                                      Eb
                                    • Tony Hirtenstein
                                      Message 18 of 24 , May 7, 2008
                                        On Tue, 06 May 2008 19:41:55 -0000, "ebbtidalflats" <ebbtidalflats@...> so
                                        much as wrote:

                                        ; There isn't any need for thetask manager. Just press
                                        ; CTRL+ALT when you click OK.

                                        I tried everything I knew, including pressing CTRL+ALT, and nothing
                                        stopped the clip. Eventually I closed down NoteTab from the Task Maanger and
                                        lost half an hour's work.

                                        I've just tried again, and was able to close the clip only by holding
                                        Ctrl and Alt down and clicking on the X button or the OK button. Surely this is
                                        not normal clip behaviour? Simply clicking on the X button made the clip carry
                                        on as if the OK button had been pressed.

                                        Message 19 of 24 , May 7, 2008
                                          Hi Tony,

                                          I'm truly sorry that you lost work from running my clip.

                                          Yes, having to Click OK is the normal behavior, when you use CTRL+ALT.
                                          The reason is, that the clip is STOPPED while it displays an Info
                                          window, as it waits for the EVENT of OK or ENTER.

                                          The clip must be RUNNING for CTRL+ALT to do anything.

                                          I have used NoteTab so long, that I take a lot of things for granted,
                                          that may not be known to others. Color me RED.

                                          So it was with the clip I posted, not thinking, that breaking out of
                                          an infinite loop that stops for user input isn't old hat to everyone.
                                          To compound this error, the documentation for CTRL+ALT doesn't explain
                                          this concept (that the clip must actually be running), at all.

                                          - - -

                                          As to losing a half day of work, are you aware of the NoteTab option
                                          that configures how often NoteTab saves your work automatically?

                                          Options-->Files tab-->Automatic Save every [10] minutes.

                                          You can make this every couple of minutes with todays computers.
                                          HOWEVER, if you couple this autosave with INCREMENTAL backups,
                                          you might generate a LOT of backup files. !!!!!!!

                                          Cheers

                                          eb

                                          --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, Tony Hirtenstein <tonyh@...> wrote:

                                          > On Tue, 06 May 2008 19:41:55 -0000, "ebbtidalflats"
                                          <ebbtidalflats@...> so
                                          > much as wrote:
                                          >
                                          > ; There isn't any need for thetask manager. Just press
                                          > ; CTRL+ALT when you click OK.
                                          >
                                          > I tried everything I knew, including pressing CTRL+ALT, and nothing
                                          > stopped the clip. Eventually I closed down NoteTab from the Task
                                          Maanger and
                                          > lost half an hour's work.
                                          >
                                          > I've just tried again, and was able to close the clip only by holding
                                          > Ctrl and Alt down and clicking on the X button or the OK button.
                                          Surely this is
                                          > not normal clip behaviour? Simply clicking on the X button made the
                                          clip carry
                                          > on as if the OK button had been pressed.
                                          >
                                          > --
                                          >

                                          > ******************* A.T.Hirtenstein ****************************
                                          > West Oxfordshire ******************* <tonyh@...>
                                          > "If you take refuge in God, He will bring what you need when you
                                          need it."

                                        • Tony Hirtenstein
                                          Message 20 of 24 , May 7, 2008
                                            On Wed, 07 May 2008 16:51:27 -0000, "ebbtidalflats" <ebbtidalflats@...> so
                                            much as wrote:

                                            ; the documentation for CTRL+ALT doesn't explain this concept (that the clip must actually be running), at all.

                                            My problem in a nutshell. In fact the Help file does not deal with how
                                            to stop clips at all, unless I have missed something.

                                            No important work was lost. But I have learned two things in the
                                            process, one of them being the value of this group!

                                            --

                                            ******************* A.T.Hirtenstein ****************************
                                            West Oxfordshire ******************* <tonyh@...>
                                            "If you take refuge in God, He will bring what you need when you need it."
                                          • Jeff Scism
                                            Message 21 of 24 , May 7, 2008
                                              The "lost" work may also be stored in your computer as a "temporary"
                                              file. It sometimes takes work to find them, but they sometimes can be
                                              salvaged.

                                              --

                                              Jeffery G. Scism, IBSSG
                                              ~~

                                              "Proponents of each side are vying with determination to prove their ignorance is greater than the other."

                                              President Andrew Jackson, discussing a bill going through the US Congress.

                                              Visit http://ibssg.org/
                                              For The Blacksheep website, MORE...

                                              Putnam County Indiana Biographies and Obituaries
                                              http://ingenweb.org/inputnam/bios/

                                              Montgomery County Indiana Biographies and Obituaries
                                              http://ingenweb.org/inmontgomery/bios/

                                              Fountain County Indiana Biographies and Obituaries
                                              http://ingenweb.org/infountain/vitals/bios/
                                            • hsavage
                                              Message 22 of 24 , May 7, 2008
                                                Tony Hirtenstein wrote:
                                                > On Wed, 07 May 2008 16:51:27 -0000, "ebbtidalflats"
                                                <ebbtidalflats@...> so
                                                > much as wrote:
                                                >
                                                > ; the documentation for CTRL+ALT doesn't explain this concept (that
                                                the clip must actually be running), at all.

                                                > My problem in a nutshell. In fact the Help file does not deal with how
                                                > to stop clips at all, unless I have missed something.
                                                >
                                                > No important work was lost. But I have learned two things in the
                                                > process, one of them being the value of this group!

                                                Tony, ebm

                                                Goto 'Help On Clip Programming' under Help on the menu bar. Click on
                                                Index, scroll all the way down looking for 'Stop Clip' and it states the
                                                following;

                                                ------
                                                Useful tip when testing Clip code:

                                                You can use the "Ctrl+Alt" key combination to stop the execution of a
                                                Clip (especially useful when stuck in a loop).
                                                ------

                                                A running clip is in the process of 'execution' so it does explain the
                                                clip must running to stop it with Ctrl+Alt.

                                                ºvº SL_128 created_2008.05.07_07.29.50

                                                Newspaper HeadLine...
                                                • Cold Wave Linked to Temperatures
                                                € hrs € hsavage € pobox € com
                                              • Tony Hirtenstein
                                                Message 23 of 24 , May 7, 2008
                                                  On Wed, 07 May 2008 14:17:44 -0500, hsavage <hsavage@...> so much as
                                                  wrote:

                                                  ; Useful tip when testing Clip code:
                                                  ; You can use the "Ctrl+Alt" key combination to stop the execution of a
                                                  ; Clip (especially useful when stuck in a loop).
                                                  ; A running clip is in the process of 'execution' so it does explain the
                                                  ; clip must running to stop it with Ctrl+Alt.

                                                  Thanks for this pointer: I was looking in the wrong part of the Help!
                                                  But we have now established (which was new to this brain cell) that some clips
                                                  require a mouse click to stop them in addition to pressing Ctrl Alt.

                                                  Message 24 of 24 , May 8, 2008

                                                    > ------
                                                    > Useful tip when testing Clip code:
                                                    >
                                                    > You can use the "Ctrl+Alt" key combination to stop the execution of a
                                                    > Clip (especially useful when stuck in a loop).
                                                    > ------
                                                    >
                                                    > A running clip is in the process of 'execution' so it does explain the
                                                    > clip must running to stop it with Ctrl+Alt.

                                                    Hrs,

                                                    On the one hand I must say, the help you cite is on the ambiguous
                                                    side, when it comes to covering clips "running but waiting" for something.

                                                    A clip that has started, and not yet finished, is still running in my
                                                    book (which should have ocurred to me when I wrote that clip with the
                                                    endless loop).

                                                    What is key is, that the clip isn't executing a CLIP command, while
                                                    waiting for input. CTRL+ALT stops a CLIP command, if the keys are
                                                    pressed, when the clip command executes. <he,he>The clip is running
                                                    but not executing</he,he>.

                                                    On the other hand, I'd like to point out, that NoteTab's help is FAR
                                                    SUPERIOR to most other software. It doesn't simply echo the phrases
                                                    you would like help to elaborate on.

                                                    Cheers,

                                                    Eb