Re: [Clip] Re: Replacing comma with a tab

    Message 1 of 34 , Apr 5, 2008
      janderri wrote:
      > I think we can conclude this with :
      > Regular expressions in NoteTab are a mess + we can't even
      > trust them to work correctly too.

      No, most certainly not! I agree, that for someone used to far
      simpler tools they are quite daunting to begin with, they were for
      me. But once started getting used to they are also incredibly
      powerful, even when, like by me, only a small subset is used. They
      are one of the most helpful bits of NoteTab and I wouldn't miss
      them.

      What Eric might perhaps consider would be a small extension of the
      standard replace function. My good old all-purpose editor Tempus has
      two wildcards: *, which is eqivalent to (.*?) and ? which is the
      same as (.). Those two would suffice for 80 to 90 % of all Regex
      useages without the steep learning curve. On the other hand this
      would of course make the deterrent from learning real Regex even
      more formidable.

      Axel
    • notetab_is_great
      Message 34 of 34 , Apr 5, 2008
        --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, "janderri" <jan_derrick@...> wrote:

        > --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, Axel Berger <Axel-Berger@> wrote:
        > >
        > > Flo wrote:
        > > > "^(.+\t.+?),"
        > >
        > > A question, as I have never yet used such a complicated term
        inside one
        > > pair of parentheses:
        > > What does the non greedy specifier apply to there exactly and would it
        > > make any sense to write (.+?\t.+?) instead? We were never told if
        there
        > > could be preexisting tabs anywhere in the source lines.
        > >
        > > Danke
        > > Axel
        > >

        > I think we can conclude this with :
        >
        > Regular expressions in NoteTab are a mess + we can't even trust them
        to work correctly too.

        That's a strange conclusion to reach as a result of this thread...

        It is true that the regular expression given here was written making
        an assumption that the only tab at the beginning of the data is the
        one that was just inserted by replacing the previous ",". However,
        that doesn't mean that regular expressions are a mess, or don't
        work... it just means there was a poor assumption made in constructing
        this one.

        Thing is, regular expressions are used to tackle problems that are
        hard to solve in other ways, and that doesn't mean those problems are
        easily solved using regular expressions, either... but often they are
        solvable.

        While there are many smart people contributing to this forum, many of
        the problems they are attempting to help with are poorly specified.

        Even this regular expression is correct, if the assumption made
        actually holds; it is unfortunate that assumptions like that sneak in
        without being stated... that's a problem with assumptions in general,
        though, not just ones regarding regular expressions.