Re: [Clip] Re: Replacing comma with a tab

    Message 1 of 34 , Mar 31, 2008
      "Don - HtmlFixIt.com" wrote:
      > Does that need to be non-greedy however to be safe?

      I think not. When you say "no commas" it has to stop at the very first
      one, however greedy it might prefer to be.

      Axel
    • notetab_is_great
      Message 34 of 34 , Apr 5, 2008
        --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, "janderri" <jan_derrick@...> wrote:

        > --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, Axel Berger <Axel-Berger@> wrote:
        > >
        > > Flo wrote:
        > > > "^(.+\t.+?),"
        > >
        > > A question, as I have never yet used such a complicated term
        inside one
        > > pair of parentheses:
        > > What does the non greedy specifier apply to there exactly and would it
        > > make any sense to write (.+?\t.+?) instead? We were never told if
        there
        > > could be preexisting tabs anywhere in the source lines.
        > >
        > > Danke
        > > Axel
        > >

        > I think we can conclude this with :
        >
        > Regular expressions in NoteTab are a mess + we can't even trust them
        to work correctly too.

        That's a strange conclusion to reach as a result of this thread...

        It is true that the regular expression given here was written making
        an assumption that the only tab at the beginning of the data is the
        one that was just inserted by replacing the previous ",". However,
        that doesn't mean that regular expressions are a mess, or don't
        work... it just means there was a poor assumption made in constructing
        this one.

        Thing is, regular expressions are used to tackle problems that are
        hard to solve in other ways, and that doesn't mean those problems are
        easily solved using regular expressions, either... but often they are
        solvable.

        While there are many smart people contributing to this forum, many of
        the problems they are attempting to help with are poorly specified.

        Even this regular expression is correct, if the assumption made
        actually holds; it is unfortunate that assumptions like that sneak in
        without being stated... that's a problem with assumptions in general,
        though, not just ones regarding regular expressions.