Re: [Clip] Re: sizing a "Wizard" box

    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 6, 2008
      ebbtidalflats wrote:
      > It would be nice to have a reliable way to design more informative
      > wizards

      I'm of the opposite school myself -- terse and sparse is how good
      interfaces ought to be. My Damaskus into that way of thinking came
      sometime around 1980 when I was jobbing in industry as a student. The
      laboratory had one of the very first personal computers in
      use - an Apple ][. The technicians wouldn't touch it with a bargepole
      unless coerced, in spite of management having done all they could in the
      way of interfaces.

      Well it was there, there were repetitive tasks, and I knew a very little
      BASIC. So I wrote a tiny program just for my own use. No prompts
      whatever. It just blinked six question marks in succession at you and
      after having received six entries gave out an answer - again just a
      number, no explanation. And guess what: Two days later everyone was
      using it. I was amazed at the time, still am to a degree.

      Slick marketers have it all wrong, although it takes all too many people
      longer to realize that than it takes them to present their credit cards.
      So from their point of view, maybe marketing has it right after all.

      Axel
    • ebbtidalflats
      Message 2 of 11 , Mar 7, 2008
        Axel,

        I agree with the part about marketing hype. But six question marks as
        a prompt is a bit TOO terse for me 8=D (even when you consider the
        memory-challenged computer you did that on). After all, you had a 40
        character wide screen, you could have used 40 question marks!

        As to wizards, NoteTab has so much power, as do today's computers,
        that these constraints (lack of control over pop-up windows) become
        VERY IRRITATING annoyances.

        Even the old DOS batch language from 20 years ago provided better
        space management than these wizards do. And continues to do so.

        Eb
      • normfsime
        Message 3 of 11 , Mar 21, 2008
          --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, "ebbtidalflats" <ebbtidalflats@...>
          wrote:

          > --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, loro <loro-spam01-@...> wrote:
          > >
          > > Eb wrote:
          > > >The WizardLABEL _will_ display up to two lines of text
          > >
          > > Are you sure? :-P
          > >
          > > ;long line
          > > ^!SetWizardLabel First line of text^%nl% second line of
          > > text^%nl%^%nl%^%nl^%nl%And then some...
          > > ;end long line
          > > ^?{Input=}
          > >
          > > Lotta
          > >

          > Yes, I tested it just before my post, and it worked.
          >
          > On Windows 2000 the wizard prompt may overlap the the 2nd line of
          the
          > wizard label.
          >
          > On Windows XP I did not experience that.
          >
          > Don't know about Vista.
          >

          > If you have a problem duplicating this, I'd like to know.
          > Which Operating system, which NoteTab version, and screen
          resolution.
          > I suspect, that screen resolution versus font size may affect this.
          >

          > Cheers
          >

          > Eb

          It worked fine for me on 5.5 and XP ==> 2 lines only!

          P.S. Do we have a bug list for NoteTab? I discovered a minor bug
          which may be already noted. When you try to select past the end of
          the document, NTB just stops without warning. This is inconsistent
          with the action of all other commands at Documents end; e.g.
          "MoveCursor" does what you would expect; it just stops at the end,
          but the program continues.