Re: [Clip] Re: sizing a "Wizard" box

  • loro
    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 5, 2008
      Eb wrote:
      > > >The WizardLABEL _will_ display up to two lines of text
      > >
      > > Are you sure? :-P
      >
      >Yes, I tested it just before my post, and it worked.
      >
      >On Windows 2000 the wizard prompt may overlap the the 2nd line of the
      >wizard label.

      So did you test mine? I don't know if it'll work the same on your
      screen as on mine (different text size and so on), but it's possible
      to make the text go free from the prompt text and continue below the
      wizard fields. I had forgotten about it, but I used it on occasion to
      put a little Note to Self at the bottom of the wizard window. Not
      really intuitive, I know, but it's kinda cute. :-)

      Lotta
    • ebbtidalflats
      Message 2 of 11 , Mar 6, 2008
        --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, loro <loro-spam01-@...> wrote:

        > > > Are you sure? :-P
        > >
        > >Yes, I tested it just before my post, and it worked.
        > >
        > >On Windows 2000 the wizard prompt may overlap the the 2nd line of the
        > >wizard label.
        >
        > So did you test mine? I don't know if it'll work the same on your
        > screen as on mine (different text size and so on), but it's possible
        > to make the text go free from the prompt text and continue below the
        > wizard fields. I had forgotten about it, but I used it on occasion to
        > put a little Note to Self at the bottom of the wizard window. Not
        > really intuitive, I know, but it's kinda cute. :-)
        >
        > Lotta

        Hmm, I never tried to get more than two lines before,
        because even the two lines don't resize the wizard.
        And I tried various ways to get that "reminder" you
        talked about, but I have to pull down (extend) the
        bottom of the wizard window to see it.

        Alos, after rechecking different kinds of wizards, it
        seems even the plain 2 label lines at the top seem to
        depend on the prompt entered into the wizard.

        It would be nice to have a reliable way to design more informative
        wizards (I've actually used multiple lines of a LIST wizard for user
        prompting) but I'd give that up top get resizing configuration options.

        Skoalchen.

        Eb
        Message 3 of 11 , Mar 6, 2008
          ebbtidalflats wrote:
          > It would be nice to have a reliable way to design more informative
          > wizards

          I'm of the opposite school myself -- terse and sparse is how good
          interfaces ought to be. My Damaskus into that way of thinking came
          sometime around 1980 when I was jobbing in industry as a student. The
          laboratory had one of the very first personal computers in
          use - an Apple ][. The technicians wouldn't touch it with a bargepole
          unless coerced, in spite of management having done all they could in the
          way of interfaces.

          Well it was there, there were repetitive tasks, and I knew a very little
          BASIC. So I wrote a tiny program just for my own use. No prompts
          whatever. It just blinked six question marks in succession at you and
          after having received six entries gave out an answer - again just a
          number, no explanation. And guess what: Two days later everyone was
          using it. I was amazed at the time, still am to a degree.

          Slick marketers have it all wrong, although it takes all too many people
          longer to realize that than it takes them to present their credit cards.
          So from their point of view, maybe marketing has it right after all.

          Axel
        • ebbtidalflats
          Message 4 of 11 , Mar 7, 2008
            Axel,

            I agree with the part about marketing hype. But six question marks as
            a prompt is a bit TOO terse for me 8=D (even when you consider the
            memory-challenged computer you did that on). After all, you had a 40
            character wide screen, you could have used 40 question marks!

            As to wizards, NoteTab has so much power, as do today's computers,
            that these constraints (lack of control over pop-up windows) become
            VERY IRRITATING annoyances.

            Even the old DOS batch language from 20 years ago provided better
            space management than these wizards do. And continues to do so.

            Eb
          • normfsime
            Message 5 of 11 , Mar 21, 2008
              --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, "ebbtidalflats" <ebbtidalflats@...>
              wrote:

              > --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, loro <loro-spam01-@...> wrote:
              > >
              > > Eb wrote:
              > > >The WizardLABEL _will_ display up to two lines of text
              > >
              > > Are you sure? :-P
              > >
              > > ;long line
              > > ^!SetWizardLabel First line of text^%nl% second line of
              > > text^%nl%^%nl%^%nl^%nl%And then some...
              > > ;end long line
              > > ^?{Input=}
              > >
              > > Lotta
              > >

              > Yes, I tested it just before my post, and it worked.
              >
              > On Windows 2000 the wizard prompt may overlap the the 2nd line of
              the
              > wizard label.
              >
              > On Windows XP I did not experience that.
              >
              > Don't know about Vista.
              >

              > If you have a problem duplicating this, I'd like to know.
              > Which Operating system, which NoteTab version, and screen
              resolution.
              > I suspect, that screen resolution versus font size may affect this.
              >

              > Cheers
              >

              > Eb

              It worked fine for me on 5.5 and XP ==> 2 lines only!

              P.S. Do we have a bug list for NoteTab? I discovered a minor bug
              which may be already noted. When you try to select past the end of
              the document, NTB just stops without warning. This is inconsistent
              with the action of all other commands at Documents end; e.g.
              "MoveCursor" does what you would expect; it just stops at the end,
              but the program continues.