Re: sizing a "Wizard" box

  • normfsime
    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 3, 2008
      --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, "normfsime" <normfsime@...> wrote:

      > The H=xx parameter increases/decreases the height of the wizard box
      > in lines; but is there any way to WIDEN the wizard box?
      >
      > Alternatively, is it possible to have a multiline FieldCaption?
      >
      > Thank you in advance.
      >
      > normxxx

      Sorry about that! I have since explored all of the possibilities and
      limitations of the various message boxes— ^!StatusShow is especially
      impressive for a long executing routine; Maybe combining it with a
      cartoon sequence...?

      I managed 3 lines of caption using (1) ^!SetWizardTitle +
      (2) ^!SetWizardLabel + (3) the FieldCaption in the ^?{xxx} wizard
      expression.

      But I still find the arbitrary width of the various boxes (except
      Info, apparently) to be....well, arbitrary? Unnecessarily limiting?...
      And the inability to do more than one line per heading type is not
      too cool.

      How about adding a width perameter for the boxes to a future mod of
      the wizard function; it would go well with the H= param.

      Thanks again.
    • ebbtidalflats
      Message 2 of 11 , Mar 4, 2008
        Norm,

        --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, "normfsime" <normfsime@...> wrote:

        > But I still find the arbitrary width of the various boxes (except
        > Info, apparently) to be....well, arbitrary? Unnecessarily
        limiting?...
        > And the inability to do more than one line per heading type is not
        > too cool.

        This issue is one of NoteTab's MOST irritating "features". Here is a
        PARTIAL solution:

        The WizardLABEL _will_ display up to two lines of text, but what you
        see may be partially obscured by the too-narrow window.Just embed a
        newline variable (^%nl%) in the text.

        ;------------- long line ----
        ^!SetWizardLabel First line of text^%nl%second line of text
        ;-------------- end long line

        In the past, the WizardTitle command could spread the window some, but
        that is apparently no longer the case.

        Since this leaves an intolerable user interface for clips I create for
        others, I have gravitated to sever script solutions, that transfer the
        Wizard jobs to "external" applications. I still use NoteTab for most
        of my editing, and for massive text file massages, but far less for
        programmed solutions.

        Cheers

        Eb
      • loro
        Message 3 of 11 , Mar 4, 2008
          Eb wrote:
          >The WizardLABEL _will_ display up to two lines of text

          Are you sure? :-P

          ;long line
          ^!SetWizardLabel First line of text^%nl% second line of
          text^%nl%^%nl%^%nl^%nl%And then some...
          ;end long line
          ^?{Input=}

          Lotta
        • ebbtidalflats
          Message 4 of 11 , Mar 5, 2008
            --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, loro <loro-spam01-@...> wrote:

            > Eb wrote:
            > >The WizardLABEL _will_ display up to two lines of text
            >
            > Are you sure? :-P
            >
            > ;long line
            > ^!SetWizardLabel First line of text^%nl% second line of
            > text^%nl%^%nl%^%nl^%nl%And then some...
            > ;end long line
            > ^?{Input=}
            >
            > Lotta

            Yes, I tested it just before my post, and it worked.

            On Windows 2000 the wizard prompt may overlap the the 2nd line of the
            wizard label.

            On Windows XP I did not experience that.

            Don't know about Vista.

            If you have a problem duplicating this, I'd like to know.
            Which Operating system, which NoteTab version, and screen resolution.
            I suspect, that screen resolution versus font size may affect this.

            Cheers

            Eb
          • loro
            Message 5 of 11 , Mar 5, 2008
              Eb wrote:
              > > >The WizardLABEL _will_ display up to two lines of text
              > >
              > > Are you sure? :-P
              >
              >Yes, I tested it just before my post, and it worked.
              >
              >On Windows 2000 the wizard prompt may overlap the the 2nd line of the
              >wizard label.

              So did you test mine? I don't know if it'll work the same on your
              screen as on mine (different text size and so on), but it's possible
              to make the text go free from the prompt text and continue below the
              wizard fields. I had forgotten about it, but I used it on occasion to
              put a little Note to Self at the bottom of the wizard window. Not
              really intuitive, I know, but it's kinda cute. :-)

              Lotta
            • ebbtidalflats
              Message 6 of 11 , Mar 6, 2008
                --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, loro <loro-spam01-@...> wrote:

                > > > Are you sure? :-P
                > >
                > >Yes, I tested it just before my post, and it worked.
                > >
                > >On Windows 2000 the wizard prompt may overlap the the 2nd line of the
                > >wizard label.
                >
                > So did you test mine? I don't know if it'll work the same on your
                > screen as on mine (different text size and so on), but it's possible
                > to make the text go free from the prompt text and continue below the
                > wizard fields. I had forgotten about it, but I used it on occasion to
                > put a little Note to Self at the bottom of the wizard window. Not
                > really intuitive, I know, but it's kinda cute. :-)
                >
                > Lotta

                Hmm, I never tried to get more than two lines before,
                because even the two lines don't resize the wizard.
                And I tried various ways to get that "reminder" you
                talked about, but I have to pull down (extend) the
                bottom of the wizard window to see it.

                Alos, after rechecking different kinds of wizards, it
                seems even the plain 2 label lines at the top seem to
                depend on the prompt entered into the wizard.

                It would be nice to have a reliable way to design more informative
                wizards (I've actually used multiple lines of a LIST wizard for user
                prompting) but I'd give that up top get resizing configuration options.

                Skoalchen.

                Eb
                Message 7 of 11 , Mar 6, 2008
                  ebbtidalflats wrote:
                  > It would be nice to have a reliable way to design more informative
                  > wizards

                  I'm of the opposite school myself -- terse and sparse is how good
                  interfaces ought to be. My Damaskus into that way of thinking came
                  sometime around 1980 when I was jobbing in industry as a student. The
                  laboratory had one of the very first personal computers in
                  use - an Apple ][. The technicians wouldn't touch it with a bargepole
                  unless coerced, in spite of management having done all they could in the
                  way of interfaces.

                  Well it was there, there were repetitive tasks, and I knew a very little
                  BASIC. So I wrote a tiny program just for my own use. No prompts
                  whatever. It just blinked six question marks in succession at you and
                  after having received six entries gave out an answer - again just a
                  number, no explanation. And guess what: Two days later everyone was
                  using it. I was amazed at the time, still am to a degree.

                  Slick marketers have it all wrong, although it takes all too many people
                  longer to realize that than it takes them to present their credit cards.
                  So from their point of view, maybe marketing has it right after all.

                  Axel
                • ebbtidalflats
                  Message 8 of 11 , Mar 7, 2008
                    Axel,

                    I agree with the part about marketing hype. But six question marks as
                    a prompt is a bit TOO terse for me 8=D (even when you consider the
                    memory-challenged computer you did that on). After all, you had a 40
                    character wide screen, you could have used 40 question marks!

                    As to wizards, NoteTab has so much power, as do today's computers,
                    that these constraints (lack of control over pop-up windows) become
                    VERY IRRITATING annoyances.

                    Even the old DOS batch language from 20 years ago provided better
                    space management than these wizards do. And continues to do so.

                    Eb
                  • normfsime
                    Message 9 of 11 , Mar 21, 2008
                      --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, "ebbtidalflats" <ebbtidalflats@...>
                      wrote:

                      > --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, loro <loro-spam01-@...> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > Eb wrote:
                      > > >The WizardLABEL _will_ display up to two lines of text
                      > >
                      > > Are you sure? :-P
                      > >
                      > > ;long line
                      > > ^!SetWizardLabel First line of text^%nl% second line of
                      > > text^%nl%^%nl%^%nl^%nl%And then some...
                      > > ;end long line
                      > > ^?{Input=}
                      > >
                      > > Lotta
                      > >

                      > Yes, I tested it just before my post, and it worked.
                      >
                      > On Windows 2000 the wizard prompt may overlap the the 2nd line of
                      the
                      > wizard label.
                      >
                      > On Windows XP I did not experience that.
                      >
                      > Don't know about Vista.
                      >

                      > If you have a problem duplicating this, I'd like to know.
                      > Which Operating system, which NoteTab version, and screen
                      resolution.
                      > I suspect, that screen resolution versus font size may affect this.
                      >

                      > Cheers
                      >

                      > Eb

                      It worked fine for me on 5.5 and XP ==> 2 lines only!

                      P.S. Do we have a bug list for NoteTab? I discovered a minor bug
                      which may be already noted. When you try to select past the end of
                      the document, NTB just stops without warning. This is inconsistent
                      with the action of all other commands at Documents end; e.g.
                      "MoveCursor" does what you would expect; it just stops at the end,
                      but the program continues.