sizing a "Wizard" box

  • normfsime
    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 3, 2008
      The H=xx parameter increases/decreases the height of the wizard box
      in lines; but is there any way to WIDEN the wizard box?

      Thank you in advance.

      normxxx
    • normfsime
      Message 2 of 11 , Mar 3, 2008
        The H=xx parameter increases/decreases the height of the wizard box
        in lines; but is there any way to WIDEN the wizard box?

        Alternatively, is it possible to have a multiline FieldCaption?

        Thank you in advance.

        normxxx
      • normfsime
        Message 3 of 11 , Mar 3, 2008
          --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, "normfsime" <normfsime@...> wrote:

          > The H=xx parameter increases/decreases the height of the wizard box
          > in lines; but is there any way to WIDEN the wizard box?
          >
          > Alternatively, is it possible to have a multiline FieldCaption?
          >
          > Thank you in advance.
          >
          > normxxx

          Sorry about that! I have since explored all of the possibilities and
          limitations of the various message boxes— ^!StatusShow is especially
          impressive for a long executing routine; Maybe combining it with a
          cartoon sequence...?

          I managed 3 lines of caption using (1) ^!SetWizardTitle +
          (2) ^!SetWizardLabel + (3) the FieldCaption in the ^?{xxx} wizard
          expression.

          But I still find the arbitrary width of the various boxes (except
          Info, apparently) to be....well, arbitrary? Unnecessarily limiting?...
          And the inability to do more than one line per heading type is not
          too cool.

          How about adding a width perameter for the boxes to a future mod of
          the wizard function; it would go well with the H= param.

          Thanks again.
        • ebbtidalflats
          Message 4 of 11 , Mar 4, 2008
            Norm,

            --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, "normfsime" <normfsime@...> wrote:

            > But I still find the arbitrary width of the various boxes (except
            > Info, apparently) to be....well, arbitrary? Unnecessarily
            limiting?...
            > And the inability to do more than one line per heading type is not
            > too cool.

            This issue is one of NoteTab's MOST irritating "features". Here is a
            PARTIAL solution:

            The WizardLABEL _will_ display up to two lines of text, but what you
            see may be partially obscured by the too-narrow window.Just embed a
            newline variable (^%nl%) in the text.

            ;------------- long line ----
            ^!SetWizardLabel First line of text^%nl%second line of text
            ;-------------- end long line

            In the past, the WizardTitle command could spread the window some, but
            that is apparently no longer the case.

            Since this leaves an intolerable user interface for clips I create for
            others, I have gravitated to sever script solutions, that transfer the
            Wizard jobs to "external" applications. I still use NoteTab for most
            of my editing, and for massive text file massages, but far less for
            programmed solutions.

            Cheers

            Eb
          • loro
            Message 5 of 11 , Mar 4, 2008
              Eb wrote:
              >The WizardLABEL _will_ display up to two lines of text

              Are you sure? :-P

              ;long line
              ^!SetWizardLabel First line of text^%nl% second line of
              text^%nl%^%nl%^%nl^%nl%And then some...
              ;end long line
              ^?{Input=}

              Lotta
            • ebbtidalflats
              Message 6 of 11 , Mar 5, 2008
                --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, loro <loro-spam01-@...> wrote:

                > Eb wrote:
                > >The WizardLABEL _will_ display up to two lines of text
                >
                > Are you sure? :-P
                >
                > ;long line
                > ^!SetWizardLabel First line of text^%nl% second line of
                > text^%nl%^%nl%^%nl^%nl%And then some...
                > ;end long line
                > ^?{Input=}
                >
                > Lotta

                Yes, I tested it just before my post, and it worked.

                On Windows 2000 the wizard prompt may overlap the the 2nd line of the
                wizard label.

                On Windows XP I did not experience that.

                Don't know about Vista.

                If you have a problem duplicating this, I'd like to know.
                Which Operating system, which NoteTab version, and screen resolution.
                I suspect, that screen resolution versus font size may affect this.

                Cheers

                Eb
              • loro
                Message 7 of 11 , Mar 5, 2008
                  Eb wrote:
                  > > >The WizardLABEL _will_ display up to two lines of text
                  > >
                  > > Are you sure? :-P
                  >
                  >Yes, I tested it just before my post, and it worked.
                  >
                  >On Windows 2000 the wizard prompt may overlap the the 2nd line of the
                  >wizard label.

                  So did you test mine? I don't know if it'll work the same on your
                  screen as on mine (different text size and so on), but it's possible
                  to make the text go free from the prompt text and continue below the
                  wizard fields. I had forgotten about it, but I used it on occasion to
                  put a little Note to Self at the bottom of the wizard window. Not
                  really intuitive, I know, but it's kinda cute. :-)

                  Lotta
                • ebbtidalflats
                  Message 8 of 11 , Mar 6, 2008
                    --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, loro <loro-spam01-@...> wrote:

                    > > > Are you sure? :-P
                    > >
                    > >Yes, I tested it just before my post, and it worked.
                    > >
                    > >On Windows 2000 the wizard prompt may overlap the the 2nd line of the
                    > >wizard label.
                    >
                    > So did you test mine? I don't know if it'll work the same on your
                    > screen as on mine (different text size and so on), but it's possible
                    > to make the text go free from the prompt text and continue below the
                    > wizard fields. I had forgotten about it, but I used it on occasion to
                    > put a little Note to Self at the bottom of the wizard window. Not
                    > really intuitive, I know, but it's kinda cute. :-)
                    >
                    > Lotta

                    Hmm, I never tried to get more than two lines before,
                    because even the two lines don't resize the wizard.
                    And I tried various ways to get that "reminder" you
                    talked about, but I have to pull down (extend) the
                    bottom of the wizard window to see it.

                    Alos, after rechecking different kinds of wizards, it
                    seems even the plain 2 label lines at the top seem to
                    depend on the prompt entered into the wizard.

                    It would be nice to have a reliable way to design more informative
                    wizards (I've actually used multiple lines of a LIST wizard for user
                    prompting) but I'd give that up top get resizing configuration options.

                    Skoalchen.

                    Eb
                    Message 9 of 11 , Mar 6, 2008
                      ebbtidalflats wrote:
                      > It would be nice to have a reliable way to design more informative
                      > wizards

                      I'm of the opposite school myself -- terse and sparse is how good
                      interfaces ought to be. My Damaskus into that way of thinking came
                      sometime around 1980 when I was jobbing in industry as a student. The
                      laboratory had one of the very first personal computers in
                      use - an Apple ][. The technicians wouldn't touch it with a bargepole
                      unless coerced, in spite of management having done all they could in the
                      way of interfaces.

                      Well it was there, there were repetitive tasks, and I knew a very little
                      BASIC. So I wrote a tiny program just for my own use. No prompts
                      whatever. It just blinked six question marks in succession at you and
                      after having received six entries gave out an answer - again just a
                      number, no explanation. And guess what: Two days later everyone was
                      using it. I was amazed at the time, still am to a degree.

                      Slick marketers have it all wrong, although it takes all too many people
                      longer to realize that than it takes them to present their credit cards.
                      So from their point of view, maybe marketing has it right after all.

                      Axel
                    • ebbtidalflats
                      Message 10 of 11 , Mar 7, 2008
                        Axel,

                        I agree with the part about marketing hype. But six question marks as
                        a prompt is a bit TOO terse for me 8=D (even when you consider the
                        memory-challenged computer you did that on). After all, you had a 40
                        character wide screen, you could have used 40 question marks!

                        As to wizards, NoteTab has so much power, as do today's computers,
                        that these constraints (lack of control over pop-up windows) become
                        VERY IRRITATING annoyances.

                        Even the old DOS batch language from 20 years ago provided better
                        space management than these wizards do. And continues to do so.

                        Eb
                      • normfsime
                        Message 11 of 11 , Mar 21, 2008
                          --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, "ebbtidalflats" <ebbtidalflats@...>
                          wrote:

                          > --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, loro <loro-spam01-@...> wrote:
                          > >
                          > > Eb wrote:
                          > > >The WizardLABEL _will_ display up to two lines of text
                          > >
                          > > Are you sure? :-P
                          > >
                          > > ;long line
                          > > ^!SetWizardLabel First line of text^%nl% second line of
                          > > text^%nl%^%nl%^%nl^%nl%And then some...
                          > > ;end long line
                          > > ^?{Input=}
                          > >
                          > > Lotta
                          > >

                          > Yes, I tested it just before my post, and it worked.
                          >
                          > On Windows 2000 the wizard prompt may overlap the the 2nd line of
                          the
                          > wizard label.
                          >
                          > On Windows XP I did not experience that.
                          >
                          > Don't know about Vista.
                          >

                          > If you have a problem duplicating this, I'd like to know.
                          > Which Operating system, which NoteTab version, and screen
                          resolution.
                          > I suspect, that screen resolution versus font size may affect this.
                          >

                          > Cheers
                          >

                          > Eb

                          It worked fine for me on 5.5 and XP ==> 2 lines only!

                          P.S. Do we have a bug list for NoteTab? I discovered a minor bug
                          which may be already noted. When you try to select past the end of
                          the document, NTB just stops without warning. This is inconsistent
                          with the action of all other commands at Documents end; e.g.
                          "MoveCursor" does what you would expect; it just stops at the end,
                          but the program continues.