Clip Re: my /usb question.

  • ebbtidalflats
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 28, 2008
      --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, "Charles M. Raine" <rainec@...> wrote:

      > Hi Eb:
      >
      > Good to see you again! I see you recognized me after all this time...
      >
      > Thanks very much for your reply, but your batch file knowledge is
      just a
      > little over my head and I have forgotten some of the syntax details
      etc.
      > Would you mind sending me a sample of your Start-up batch file and
      Backup
      > batch file.

      Hi Charlie,

      I had to edit the file a bit, as it contains stuff not pertinent to
      this topic.

      No guarantee, that any of this will work on a Mac.
      It is DOS after all (8=D).

      Sorry -- this is a lengthy subject. The batchfile as is
      expectsto find NotePro in the root directory of the
      USB drive.

      The start command runs NoteTab, with the /USER switch,
      which keeps NoteTab from looking in user's
      "My Documents" folder for data.

      NoteTab must have NotePro.ini in its USB folder.

      No need to change any folder names. If you want to
      run any DOS commands with folder or filenames containing
      spaces, just convert them to DOS short with
      ^$GetShort(PathAndFilename)$
      As ong as you don't use these short names to create files,
      or pass the names into Windows apps, no harm and no
      multiple filenames for the same file.

      The batchfile will run from the USB stick, or elsewhere
      (I tested THIS particular one only on a USB stick).

      It finds the USB drive, creates an alias (in this case
      "X", butpick ANY drive letter).

      The drive list itt searches in the for loop can be edited,
      but MUST NOT include the ALIAS.

      Only one problem I can think of -- NoteTab may have a
      number of references to files from earlier incarnations
      in its INI file, which MAY interfere with the USB drive
      operations.

      To prevent that I picked a pristine NotePro.ini and
      opened it in an editor, and changed each drive reference
      to my alias drive letter. Then I copied the ini to the
      NoteTab folder on the USB drive.

      Whew!

      Hope this helps.

      Eb
      PS here is the batchfile -- I used line marks around critical
      commands:
      -- -- -- 8<-- -- --
      @echo off
      rem -----------------------------------------------------
      title Ebs NoteTab Sneaker Net Shell (Keep Open while NoteTab is Running)
      rem -----------------------------------------------------
      rem Find self, set to drive "X:", and run NoteTab from X:
      rem -----------------------------------------------------
      FOR %%I IN (D E F G H I J K L) DO if exist %%I:\NoteTab.exe set
      SneakerNet=%%I:&GOTO FOUND
      rem -----------------------------------------------------
      echo.
      echo Sneakernet drive letter not found in list of drives, CANNOT
      start NoteTab.
      echo.

      rem ABORT
      goto DONE

      :FOUND

      rem create ALIAS
      rem -----------------------------------------------------
      IF EXIST X:\nul subst X: /d
      rem -----------------------------------------------------
      subst X: %SneakerNet%\
      rem -----------------------------------------------------

      echo.
      echo.
      echo W A I T f o r t h i s w i n d o w t o c l o s e !
      echo.
      echo This Shell is required for NoteTab to find its data files
      echo.
      echo.

      rem start NOTETAB
      rem -----------------------------------------------------
      start /WAIT X:\NotePro.exe /USER=X:\
      rem -----------------------------------------------------

      echo.
      echo NoteTab Back-up in progress . . .
      echo.

      rem BACKUP
      rem /d=newer; /S=sub-folders; /E=empties; /H=incl hidden, system;
      /R=overwrite R/O; /K=copy attribs; /Y=answer "yes"
      xcopy "X:\*.*" "D:\DOCUME~1\ebu\MYDOCU~1\" /D /S /E /H /R /K /Y

      :DONE

      rem delete ALIAS
      IF EXIST X:\nul subst X: /d