Clip - Question re: use of /usb Command-line option

  • Charles M. Raine
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 26, 2008
      Hi:

      I have installed a copy of Notetab Pro on a 256MB Memory stick plugged into
      my 4 Port Usb Hub and have been trying to create a shortcut to run Notetab
      from there. How can I do that or is it not possible?

      I am running XP under Parallels Dexktop on my iMac with no problems, but
      can't create a shortcut for the above.

      Charlie
      Charles M. Raine,
      Winnipeg. MB R3P 0W3
    • ebbtidalflats
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 26, 2008
        --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, "Charles M. Raine" <rainec@...> wrote:

        > Hi:
        >
        > I have installed a copy of Notetab Pro on a 256MB Memory stick
        plugged into
        > my 4 Port Usb Hub and have been trying to create a shortcut to run
        Notetab
        > from there. How can I do that or is it not possible?
        >
        > I am running XP under Parallels Dexktop on my iMac with no problems,
        but
        > can't create a shortcut for the above.
        >
        > Charlie
        > Charles M. Raine,
        > Winnipeg. MB R3P 0W3

        Hi Charles,

        iMac?! I'm surprized that you would change to Apple this late in the
        game. For the same price you couldda gotten a multi-core PC, "eh?"

        Just kidding. I still own my first computer, an Apple II.

        As to running NoteTab off a USB stick, try using a batchfile on the
        hard disk (always there, and Windows doesn't complain), which searches
        through possible drive letters for an identifiable file on the USB stick.

        The search code (one line, correct thepath to NotePro.exe as needed -
        no spaces is good):

        - - -
        FOR %%I IN (C D E F G H I J K) DO if exist %%I:\NotePro.exe set
        SneakerNet=%%I:&GOTO FOUND
        - - -

        this line sets "SneakerNet" environment variable to the correct drive.
        Then I create an alias to that drive, that ALWAYS uses the same drive
        letter (something way up there, like X,Y,Z):

        - - -
        :FOUND
        IF EXIST Y:\nul subst Y: /d
        subst Y: %SneakerNet%\
        start /WAIT Y:\NTP\NotePro.exe /USER=Y:\NTP
        - - -

        Note that the FOUND lable comes AFTER any error handler, if NOT found.
        The code after FOUND will create an alias to the unknown USB path,
        start notetab with "start" and the /WAIT switch, so it WAITs for NTP
        to exit. This is important, because the alias is no longer reliable,
        when the shell exits.

        The code also allows backing up files changed during the session (See
        my post in the general NoteTab group about backing up files when you
        exit Notetab).

        A shortcut to the batchfile will always work, even if the USB stick is
        missing. The constant drive letter alias assures, that even your
        "favorites" are always pointing to the correct drive, as are the paths
        in INI files, etc. The "Y:" drive solves the problem of changing drive
        letters. And the INI files, favorites, and internal document links do
        not get messed up!

        Cheers,

        Eb
      • Jim
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 27, 2008
          Use the /USB switch on the shortcut commandline. Look in Notetab's
          online help- the 'USB key switch' topic should be helpful.